Addon - Gear Icon BoE/BoA/Collected Indicator

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Addon - Gear Icon BoE/BoA/Collected Indicator

Unread post by Quiv »

With the new Collection Appearances system in 7.0, I have been looking for an addon that would show a few pieces of information on the item icon itself (not just the tooltip): is it BOE/BOA and have I collected the appearance.

Caerdon Wardrobe does exactly that! It has made my life sooooo much easier. It also has Bagnon and AdiBag support.

This is what the various icons look like. I have no affiliation with this addon author but I am thrilled to have found it, and wanted to share.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Addon - Gear Icon BoE/BoA/Collected Indicator

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't use that many add-ons, but I just might get this one. It is a real pain mailing boe's to alts, just to see if I have the appearance.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've been using that one too and it's been really handy. At the time (first day of patch) it seemed to be the only one that highlighted things that well. I'm unsure if others now do the same
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

A few items seem to be screwy. Soldier's Gauntlets (mail) show up unlockable on my warrior but the vast majority show up correctly. I have a feeling its due to the recent mail/plate conversion that did with old pieces? Either way, I reported it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah I've seen a few with a red BoE mark that are actually learnable, but only rarely. I didn't pay attention to what they were but you're probably right about the reason.
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Wain wrote:I've been using that one too and it's been really handy. At the time (first day of patch) it seemed to be the only one that highlighted things that well. I'm unsure if others now do the same
I believe MogIt is tracking what appearances you've collected. It's giving me the green check marks for gear I've unlocked for whatever gear slot and type I choose, regardless of which toon I'm playing and whether or not I actually have possession of that item on any of my toons. Which is nice, I still want to keep MogIt and use it to help me assemble sets :)
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

GormanGhaste wrote:It is a real pain mailing boe's to alts, just to see if I have the appearance.
Wait...
I thought the Transmog 2.0 was accountwide? :shock:

It isn't?!? :o
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Karathyriel wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:It is a real pain mailing boe's to alts, just to see if I have the appearance.
Wait...
I thought the Transmog 2.0 was accountwide? :shock:

It isn't?!? :o
They mean for having to unlock the appearance. You can't unlock something unless you can (and do) equip it and, if it's armor, matches the armor type for a given class.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

But if you play a warrior, paladin or deathknight you could wear and unlock everything?
That doesn't make any sense...
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Karathyriel wrote:But if you play a warrior, paladin or deathknight you could wear and unlock everything?
That doesn't make any sense...
That would only work on most weapons/shields. Armor would still be a no-go.

Keeps hunters in the running for "practical classes to run on," since we can still wield so many different types of weapons.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yep you can only unlock armour that is the main type for your class, so plate-wearers still have to send cloth to a cloth-wearing alt. The add-on at least lets you know if you know the appearance already.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Sigrah wrote:I believe MogIt is tracking what appearances you've collected. It's giving me the green check marks for gear I've unlocked for whatever gear slot and type I choose, regardless of which toon I'm playing and whether or not I actually have possession of that item on any of my toons. Which is nice, I still want to keep MogIt and use it to help me assemble sets :)
Mogit is definitely a staple but it only shows the check on the item tooltip (unless theres an icon setting im not familiar with). This addon shows an indicator on the icon itself in your bags, on the AH, on a vendor etc. Basically the same information, just different way of displaying it.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Caerdon Wardrobe is fantastic, though the item indicator only works on unmodified frames, so I can see needed looks on vendors and the AH, but because I use Bagnon, I can't see them at a glance in my bags. The tooltips from it still work there, so it's no less annoying than any other transmog addon I use. I don't mind the icon icons not being in Bagnon so much (there's a side addon to enable that functionality there apparently, woo!) but it'd be FANTASTIC if it worked in AtlasLoot since I use that a lot to see what difficulty I need to run any given instance on. That may be coming down the pipeline, or may already be implemented (and I just haven't updated to pick it up), or may end up coming from some other addon, possibly AtlasLoot itself.

I'm actually using three addons that do basically the same thing in slightly different ways, because none of them do them all in exactly the way I find most personally useful. CW gives the icons on vendors/the AH/(bags and bank if you're not using an addon for those) but has no indication if you've learned an item of a different armor class except by the lack of tooltip, which makes me nervous because items that aren't part of the appearance collection ALSO give no tooltip indicator, on the default UI or in CW. Example: the Green Holiday Shirt is currently not in the appearance collection (though it was made uncommon quality and BoE like all but one other previously-common/unbinding shirt), and does not have any indication in CW that it isn't in the collection. In fact, the Green Holiday Shirt tooltip and the Green Linen Shirt tooltip (which IS in the appearance collection) are identical with just CW.

Can I Mog It? doesn't actually do much that CW doesn't also do, but I had picked it up before I picked up CW. It adds a line to the tooltip that indicates whether you've learned a particular item, that item's look but not FROM that item, and indicates the same on both items that character can use as well as ones they can't. It adds the "you've learned this particular item on a different armor class" bit that CW doesn't, but doesn't say anything if an item can't be added to the appearance collection.

I was using the pre-7.0 version of Legion Wardrobe for a long time to keep track of what I needed to make space for and what I could safely vendor/disenchant, both BoE-wise and in the little bit of current/old raiding I was able to do with my bags in the state they were at across my account. It's still absolutely worth using now—it indicates if an item can't be transmogged but, at least on the version I'm using (which does not appear to be the most recent, so this may have changed), doesn't differentiate between items you can't transmog because they're leather and you're mail or because they're not part of the appearance collection. With CW and CIMI? the only bit of tooltip information really needed from LW is "you can't transmog this even if you should be able to," but LW has the additional benefit of adding a lot of extra filters to the appearance collection tab, so you can sort by zone and see at a glance what you have and haven't collected (that you can equip/learn on the character you're currently on) from, for example, Gilneas/the worgen starting area. It also adds a larger preview frame in case you want a closer look at a piece of gear in the collection, or to rotate it or see it on your character proper instead of on a shadowy version, though I don't use that feature that often.

So my tooltips are a little unwieldy and if one or more of the addons completely replaces the bits of functionality I like from the others I'll eventually be able to pare it down, but it's not super bad for now—this is what the different bits look like on my rogue, for example:

Legion Wardrobe is the most likely to get replaced in the tooltip department (since it only does one thing the other two don't), but it also gives you SO MUCH MORE information about locations of things than the default collection does that I probably will hang onto it even without; you can pull up a list of identical looks and where they're from, including zone, quest name, and wowhead links for the quests and/or items in question. Pre-7.0 it would also darken item appearances you already had on the auction house item list, which was super useful (and very similar to CW but in reverse, actually), though I'm not sure if that functionality has been reintroduced in the new version or if it's on the table or what.

Also worth getting, since I've sort of meandered away from CW specifically and transmog addons more generally, are obviously MogIt, which most people are already familiar with but is great for putting together sets or looking at multiple pieces of gear at once, and AtlasLoot, which (again) a lot of people already use, but is great for figuring out if you need to actually bother with an optional boss or sit around for three minutes waiting for the Saronite Animus to spawn on Vezax (or figuring out which bug to kill last on bug trio in AQ40, that's been the big one for me lol) or what.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Xella wrote:Caerdon Wardrobe is fantastic, though the item indicator only works on unmodified frames, so I can see needed looks on vendors and the AH, but because I use Bagnon, I can't see them at a glance in my bags.
:(

Caerdon has a specific plugin for Bagnon compatability, have you tried installing that? I use both and they work great.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Yeah when I was writing that post I realized I hadn't updated my addons in like a week (which is only usually an issue right around patch time; I don't use the curse updater or anything so it always ends up being a manual process) and found the bagnon extension then; it's sitting on my desktop but I haven't actually unzipped it and moved it to my addons folder yet cos I am apparently lazy as heck today, haha
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Mogit is what I use. At the moment, it shows in the mouseover whether I have an item or not, or whether I have the appearance, but unlocked on a different item. For now, it works well enough for me. Especially since I already use MogIt to be able to see things in an overview.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I use "Can I mog It"

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/can-i-mog-it

It tells you if you've collected the appearance
If you have collected it with a different name
If you CAN collect it.
If another toon can collect it.

Simple and easy to use, and the "Haven't collected this appearance yet" is in a color that stands out so you notice it when you cursor over things.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Looks like it adds information to the gear icon as well as the tooltip. Theres a plethora of addons that put info on the tooltip, but that wasn't what I was personally looking for. I wanted information on the icon itself so I didn't have to view individual tooltips. I may check this one out since it does that as well.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

So in other words you don't want to have to scroll in the AH to find stuff you don't already have? lol Good luck!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:So in other words you don't want to have to scroll in the AH to find stuff you don't already have? lol Good luck!
No thats not what I was going for. For the AH specifically, it lets me see on the gear icon whether or not I've collected the appearance while I scroll through it. It doesn't require mousing over and reading every-single-tooltip, which saves so much time for me :D

However thats a side benefit for me personally. I use it more for quick bag management, for which it is a godsend. I'm going to check the addon you mentioned though because it does the icon updates as well as the tooltip.