GC update on pets XD

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Re: GC update on pets XD

Unread post by Shade »

Jessibelle wrote:
Shade wrote:I am anxious to see it implemented.

One of the nice things about being a BM was the secondary/exotic abilities of our pets, not that they were just exotics themselves. Are those pets going to get to keep their special ability AND their exotic ability? That the thing that has me worried/nervous about this change. Those extra abilities I always considered to be one of the main perks of being a BM, and considering that BM is loosing the extra talent points to our pets, I'm concerned that BM will once again be considered the lowest spec for hunters. Back when I first started I would get laughed right out of raids if I was a BM instead of the MM that most raid leaders wanted.

*shrug*. Am tentively excited but not at all sure what to expect yet.
Why wouldn't they keep them? Their exotic ability had nothing to do with their trees.
But some of those exotic abilities could make for super powered pets. A spirit beast tank with spirit mend? I can't see that staying around long, and it would be an unfair advantage over the other pet class. The combinations that we can make out of this have me thinking some pet abilities will be taken away or nerfed.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

I CAN USE MY WARPSTALKER MORE! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Ok. girly happy scream over.
I love this but i hope they do look into the family skills, as some are poor and drop dps time or simply just doesnt cut it. Though those are mostly personal prefferance.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Awwwwwyissssssss
ImageImage
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I wonder which abilities didn't make the cut? I wonder if there's any that GC (or whichever dev was in charge) decided weren't important enough, but which we might find imperative for certain situations? Hopefully none! :lol:
Oswen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Pozzo dell'Eternità (EU)

Unread post by Oswen »

And so it happened! Happy for the many forgotten pets that may see the light now.

However i'm way more curious about what "special one family" abilities some pets may get since buffs work way differently now, Rhinos/boars/hyenas for example will need a total new ability since the bleed debuff is gone, what will they get? This applies for many other families too.

What about "useless" abilities that are already making the pets less desiderable on live (channeled root i'm looking at YOU)?
Can't wait for more info to come!
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Shade wrote:But some of those exotic abilities could make for super powered pets. A spirit beast tank with spirit mend? I can't see that staying around long, and it would be an unfair advantage over the other pet class. The combinations that we can make out of this have me thinking some pet abilities will be taken away or nerfed.
So you basically want to remove exotic pets from the game, correct?

We already lost the bonus 4 points into being BM. Now you want to remove the extra abilities as well, so exotics are just pretty skins?

Think about it. A Tenacity turtle with the shield is still a more powerful tank that one with a minor self-heal. Spirit mend is NOT that strong. Let's look at the others..

Devilsaur: Monstorus Bite will do nothing as a tank.
Core Hound: Bosses are usually already immune to the casting slow effects.
Silithids: It's just a raid buff that's usually covered anyway.
Chimeras: Frost breath will only be useful on trash.

NOTHING here is OP, and the other 3 exotics are already tenacity.

Going the other way, Rhinos will be a bit more useful, but the horn toss is often more trouble that it's worth.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off strong here, but this has been brought up a few times already, and people still seem to realize that the strongest thing about the exotics was the extra 4 points if they were used correctly (they were less useful on cunning pets than on ferocity or tenacity). But people are still calling for the removal of the special talents over a perceived notion that they are OP, and they aren't.

The only real benefit of this change is some cunning pets and some tenacity pets that will be more useful as Ferocity, depending on what replaces the bleed effects.

So please, let's see the final changes before there are any more calls to BM nerfs, ok? Exotics already took a big hit. And it would be a really sad day if all exotics were was a collection of pretty skins, with no other bonuses.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Slickrock wrote:So you basically want to remove exotic pets from the game, correct?

I think she was wondering if that would happen to exotic pets, not that she wants that to happen...

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Maybe this is why nothing is tamable in beta yet. I'm getting soooo impatient I wanna know what can be tamed. I think a lot of pets with the play ability will be making my line up now. Ahhhh nothing beats a tank fox that you can use to dance after people and disturb them. :lol:
Slickrock

Everdeen wrote:
Slickrock wrote:So you basically want to remove exotic pets from the game, correct?

I think she was wondering if that would happen to exotic pets, not that she wants that to happen...

True, but she was calling them OP, which they aren't. I know I come on strong about this, but the extra 4 points was the strongest part of being BM with exotics, and that's being removed already.

As it stands, exotics are pretty weak, really, as a signature ability.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Shade wrote:
But some of those exotic abilities could make for super powered pets. A spirit beast tank with spirit mend? I can't see that staying around long, and it would be an unfair advantage over the other pet class. The combinations that we can make out of this have me thinking some pet abilities will be taken away or nerfed.
Er, sometimes i purposly specc my spirit beast with survivability just so i can tank with it while i solo..

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I absolutely love you can choose your pets tree. This was is probably the best news I have heard. Finally I hurting my dps for using a warp stalker or whatever.

However the fact the "talents" are baked in really does scare me. He is right that there aren't many pet talents I cared for but there are some I REALLY will miss...

and those are what make tank pets a tank pet. stamina, armor, healing received, making pets uncrittable etc... current hunter talents/glyphs wont cover those if they didn't make the cut. Anxious waiting to see what their first implementation of this is. :D

that being said, turtle/beetle will probably still be the main choice for tanking anything that is difficult due to the defensive value of shell shield/harden carapace. spirit mend will probably be a second runner up I am guessing. of course the numbers on these abilities could change... I imagine any other pet will do when you do less than difficult soloing, which is awesome!
Slickrock

Xakaal wrote:
Shade wrote:
Er, sometimes i purposly specc my spirit beast with survivability just so i can tank with it while i solo..
Yeah, but making it Tenacity isn't going to make it OP. Useful? yes. OP? no.

In fact, now you will HAVE to make it Tenacity for that survivability, which might make it a worse soloing pet, since the dps is going down.

Remember, the choices you made to add survivability (and the extra talent points) are gone. You will have to choose Tenacity now for the survivability.

In fact the more I look at what GC said, the more worried I am. I see potential nerfs to ferocity pet dps, depending on what they take away. I fear that the talents that they let us pick from might be the situational ones like Last Stand and Heart of the Phoenix, and nothing else.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Er, Slick, i was talking to Shade there.. i was saying that some people already choose to turn Spirit Beasts into tanks and Blizz currently doesnt see it as any problem. Im talking about live not beta. Im not arguing what so ever with exotic pet buffs and im really hoping that they do keep the spirit mend.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Shade »

Slickrock wrote:
Everdeen wrote:

True, but she was calling them OP, which they aren't. I know I come on strong about this, but the extra 4 points was the strongest part of being BM with exotics, and that's being removed already.

As it stands, exotics are pretty weak, really, as a signature ability.

No, you are reading what I said wrong.

My concern is what Blizzard is going to do with the exotics-as well as the normal pets, for that matter. With this choosing your pet's own spec, there are some natural pet abilities in the families that might be seen as giving us a bit of an advantage.

I don't know if bliz is doing this because they are nerfing us elsewhere or not-but I'm worried that some of my favorite pet families are going to loose the abilities that I like, or get seriously nerfed.

And in my example, I said a TANK-specced spirit beast, with his heal ability, would seem a little op, especially to players who are not hunters-such as a warlock, who's 'tank' demon does not have such a self-and-others-heal ability. Yes they have a 'mend' pet ability, but so do we, and that spirit mend ability on a tank specced spirit beast might seem unfair to them.

Far from wanting these exotics to loose those abilities or get removed altogether-I'm worried about how this entire speccing your pets yourself thing is going to play out. I'm far from against it-but I am hesitant until I see what it does to my favorite pet families' abilities, seeing as I've not seen a single thing mentioned about how specific pet abilities are going to play into this from Blizzard themselves, only what people are speculating.

As it stands, I'm happy to hear more information from Ghostcrawler-but he hasn't addressed my concerns on this change and I am going to keep waiting till I have more information. THAT is the point I was trying to make-we don't know how this is going to be fully implemented yet in reference to specific pet family abilities, as Ghostcrawler nor Bliz has come out and specifically mentioned that. They've omitted that information, so maybe they are just leaving them in and doing nothing about it, or maybe they are still trying to figure things out themselves, I don't know. I'm just saying I plan on waiting to celebrate these changes till I know more about the full effect of them.

And Xakaal, specced for survivability, your spirit beast is still a ferocity pet in the live right now, without thunderstomp, the growl benefits and extra armor. I'm sure that you would see a big difference between it specced as it is in live and if it is tank-specced later, no?
Last edited by Shade on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Void Walkers can heal themselves (out of combat mind you but it doesnt require anything but their own mana), and they can sacrifice themselves to bubble the warlock.

Besides, i dont really think at this point its considered OP when 3/4ths of the lvl 76+ (or if lucky/dedicated, 74+ who camped Arcturis isntead) has at least one spirit beast if not all of them. The heal is so tiny anyways its more like a quick save with a long cooldown then a pocket healer.

Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

I hope to see A LOT of DPS crabs.

LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETOPIANS. LET'S MAKE GC PROUD. :D
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Shade »

Alright.

I'm not trying to start an argument, far from it.

I was just trying to say-I want to more specifics from GC so I can know how this is going to impact my game play. You guys are making some good points-but not enough that I KNOW how it is going to play out in the long run, because it is all speculation at this point until GC gives us some more information.

And Xakaal, I edited my post above-didn't think anyone would respond so quickly, if what I edited in makes my point a little better. It takes me a little time to organize my thoughts the right way this early in the morning.
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

They better not "neuter" our pets! Exotic pets are not "weak" for Beast Masters "signature" ability! I really do not see the estimations of people that think that Exotic pet are gonna "lose" their special, extra ability at all. I can see the Ferocity spec getting Great Stamina, as a passive ability. And I don't see ravagers and wind serpents used "frequently" here.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

If we're going to argue about pet changes, can we at least wait until they happen? We don't even know how they are going to be changing pet family abilities yet, so it's still very much early days.
Slickrock

Protego wrote:They better not "neuter" our pets! Exotic pets are not "weak" for Beast Masters "signature" ability! I really do not see the estimations of people that think that Exotic pet are gonna "lose" their special, extra ability at all. I can see the Ferocity spec getting Great Stamina, as a passive ability. And I don't see ravagers and wind serpents used "frequently" here.
I do want to know how we are going to be compensated for the loss of the 4 talent points, if we get anything in return at all. Right now, it's just gone.