GC update on pets XD

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

GC update on pets XD

Unread post by pop »

Every pet has 3 specs: Ferocity, Tenacity and Cunning. These work much like class specs, with a similar UI.

Pets come with the spec you'd expect (Ferocity for kitties) but you can change it. If you want a tanking cat or a DPS crab, you can. If you have a favorite pet, you can just always use that one and swap the spec around. I hope to see A LOT of DPS crabs.

Each spec comes with 2-3 active and 2-3 passive abilities. We took a careful look at what pet talents most hunters were taking and tried to take the best of those. Things like Roar of Sacrifice, Last Stand and Heart of the Phoenix made the cut.

We didn't think we were getting a ton of gameplay out of the pet talents on live -- players interacted with them even less than the class talents -- and we didn't think pets needed the full tiered system like the Mists talent implementation, so we decided the best way to offer pet customization is to let hunters choose their pet mostly because of how it looks (and its one special ability) and not from its role.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: GC update on pets XD

Unread post by Vephriel »

Eeeeeeeee! :D

So excited!
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

Ahh you beat me to making a post! lol

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Here's hoping that they make some of the special abilities more compelling.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Hooo.... Hooooo.... Hooooommmmmgggggggg *cheers*

*is speechless otherwise.. smiling too hard and giggling like an idiot*

Yeeeey

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Spider tank, spider tank, keeps the agro so that i ain't.
Can she swing, from a web? Yeah she can, an she can tank,
Look out, here comes the spider taaaaaaank
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

Ah, I was gonna post this. Anyways dang it, too bad (getting rid of pet talent trees). We so gotta see the next beta patch or 2 to see what they get!
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Slickrock

A certain boar and undead eagle may see a lot more use.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

My only problem is that an awful lot of the family skills are useless.

Channeled roots that break with Kill Command, 'un-smart' spell interrupts that get cast on mobs that aren't even casters, much less casting at the time, pet abilities on the GCD that are nigh impossible to trigger at the right moment because the pet is spamming other skills...

I'd absolutely love to use things like nether rays or spore bats, but they REALLY need better/more functional family skills. I think that, more than the fact they're cunning, is why people don't use them. After all, I still see windserpents and ravagers being used frequently.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Unread post by Ebonrook »

Frankly, I'm not sure on what they're doing with family skills. I'll definitely parrot Nachtwulf's sentiments on the matter and while family skills do give pets a lot of flavor, I don't think I'd miss them if they had to go away entirely. I'd rather use a pet because I like their looks/personality, not because what buff they can bring. That is, of course, a personal sentiment.

More on topic, though, I am really excited. Ferocity warp stalker!
Slickrock

Nachtwulf wrote:My only problem is that an awful lot of the family skills are useless.

Channeled roots that break with Kill Command, 'un-smart' spell interrupts that get cast on mobs that aren't even casters, much less casting at the time, pet abilities on the GCD that are nigh impossible to trigger at the right moment because the pet is spamming other skills...

I'd absolutely love to use things like nether rays or spore bats, but they REALLY need better/more functional family skills. I think that, more than the fact they're cunning, is why people don't use them. After all, I still see windserpents and ravagers being used frequently.
Yep. There are more that will be useful, but many will still be restricted in usefulness to PVP, unless they rework the family skills as well.

What would be really nice is if each family had a pvp skill and a pve skill, and you could choose which one.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock

Ferocity Ravagers, Rhinos, Boars, and any others that do bleed effects should be very viable for raiding, Windserpents too.

Warpstalkers and Crocs with the slow will be useful as well, but not quite as much as the above.

Sadly, birds of prey and others with disarm and such will still be left out for raiding, even if ferocity, but, they could be very nice for leveling now.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I can't wait for dps beetle and turtle.. Can you imagine turtle shield or bug carapace in pvp? XD
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Slickrock wrote:Ferocity Ravagers, Rhinos, Boars, and any others that do bleed effects should be very viable for raiding, Windserpents too.

Warpstalkers and Crocs with the slow will be useful as well, but not quite as much as the above.

Sadly, birds of prey and others with disarm and such will still be left out for raiding, even if ferocity, but, they could be very nice for leveling now.

Good sir, you simply for get the aspect of pvp and the fact in mop it is so easy to get all of those buffs and debuff from other classes. I heard even feral's mangle will be changed into physical debuff instead of bleed XD
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

pop wrote:
Slickrock wrote:Ferocity Ravagers, Rhinos, Boars, and any others that do bleed effects should be very viable for raiding, Windserpents too.

Good sir, you simply for get the aspect of pvp and the fact in mop it is so easy to get all of those buffs and debuff from other classes. I heard even feral's mangle will be changed into physical debuff instead of bleed XD
Uh where did you hear that? There has been NO changes in that at all. They're still bleed as of current beta patch. Ferals depend on bleeds. They'd be stupid to take them away.

Not tryin to snap or nothin...my main is a Feral so I pay very close attention to Druid changes.
Last edited by Lisaara on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Time to get out the fainting couches...I know I could use one!

SPIRIT BEAST ARMY GOGOGO.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I am anxious to see it implemented.

One of the nice things about being a BM was the secondary/exotic abilities of our pets, not that they were just exotics themselves. Are those pets going to get to keep their special ability AND their exotic ability? That the thing that has me worried/nervous about this change. Those extra abilities I always considered to be one of the main perks of being a BM, and considering that BM is loosing the extra talent points to our pets, I'm concerned that BM will once again be considered the lowest spec for hunters. Back when I first started I would get laughed right out of raids if I was a BM instead of the MM that most raid leaders wanted.

*shrug*. Am tentively excited but not at all sure what to expect yet.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Shade wrote:I am anxious to see it implemented.

One of the nice things about being a BM was the secondary/exotic abilities of our pets, not that they were just exotics themselves. Are those pets going to get to keep their special ability AND their exotic ability? That the thing that has me worried/nervous about this change. Those extra abilities I always considered to be one of the main perks of being a BM, and considering that BM is loosing the extra talent points to our pets, I'm concerned that BM will once again be considered the lowest spec for hunters. Back when I first started I would get laughed right out of raids if I was a BM instead of the MM that most raid leaders wanted.

*shrug*. Am tentively excited but not at all sure what to expect yet.
Why wouldn't they keep them? Their exotic ability had nothing to do with their trees.

LisaaraPokefarm

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I swear to god this had already been said... like... ages ago. o.O I remember seeing something a while ago about being able to use any pet for any role...

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)