Status of Quilen on the beta

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Status of Quilen on the beta

Unread post by Wain »

My latest survey of tameables is quilen. These guys are a bit messier to sort out because many are inside instances, and many others are either in phased areas (some later become inaccessible) or simply require someone with a quest to activate (which involved a lot of sitting around). Thanks to Kalli, Doomcookie and Veph for their input on these. And especially to 'cookie for her awesome list.

I only list the beast under a colour once I've confirmed it's still that colour in the current build. I then only mark them as tameable if confirmed in the current build.

TLDR: plain cobalt hasn't been found yet. Jade may be unavailable (not sure if Beast of Jade will be made untameable).

Firstly, what I haven't even seen yet, that I know about (probably many more that I don't know about):

And now for what I've at least confirmed colours for:

Organic:

Image Quilin_Brown
  • Bronze Quilen, Townlong Steppes, TAMEABLE
  • Mu'Shiba, Mogu'shan Palace, NOT TAMEABLE, GIVES ALREADY CONTROLLED ERROR
Image Quilin_Gray Image Quilin_Red
  • Quilen Guardian, Mogu'shan Palace, TAMEABLE
  • Quilen Watcher, Crypt of Forgotten Kings (scenario), TAMEABLE
  • Stonebound Quilen & Stonebound Quilen, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (on days when daily "Stonebound Killers" is available), (two NPC ids, both tameable. 63950 wandering, 64186 are attacking villagers), TAMEABLE
  • Yao, Kun-Lai Summit (requires someone with quest to summon), TAMEABLE
  • Terracotta Guardian, Kun-Lai Summit, TAMEABLE BUT CAN BE BUGGY: if you tame it while it's a statue it's fine, but if you tame it while it's flesh, it permanently becomes a useless statue!
  • Gasaran, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (activated in once-off quest "Battle Spear of the Thunder King" which you get at Revered with The Golden Lotus), TAMEABLE
Image Quilin_White
  • Dagou, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (in Guo-Lai Halls area, initiate combat with Zhao-Jin to activate), TAMEABLE BUT PHASED OUT AND INACCESSIBLE AFTER INITIAL VEB QUEST CHAIN
  • Gurthan Iron Maw, Mogu'shan Palace (two colours), TAMEABLE
  • Gurthan Quilen, Mogu'shan Palace (two colours), UNTAMEABLE (cannot be aggroed)
  • Yachi, Kun-Lai Summit (requires someone with quest to summon), TAMEABLE
Stone, unadorned:

Image Quilin_Amethyst Image Quilin_Cobalt
  • None :cry:
Image Quilin_Jade
  • Beast of Jade, Greenstone Village Scenario (possible random boss for Phase 2), TAMEABLE
  • Granite Fragment, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (in Guo-Lai Halls, adds in Wulon fight if he gets the Green Granite buff), UNTAMEABLE (not even classed as a beast)
  • Quilen Statue, Mogu'shan Palace, UNTAMEABLE (doesn't seem to activate, perhaps cosmetic?)
  • Jade Quilen, Mogu'shan Palace, UNTAMEABLE (friendly)
Image Quilin_StoneGray
  • Ancient Guardian, Dread Wastes, TAMEABLE
  • Granite Quilen (ID 59157, there are two others), Vale of Eternal Blossoms, TAMEABLE, ONLY ACCESSIBLE AFTER INITIAL VEB QUEST CHAIN
  • Granite Quilen (id. 60223, there are two others), Vale of Eternal Blossoms, TAMEABLE - appears in "Might of Three" quest event at Exalted with Golden Lotus. Gone again after that.
  • Wulon <The Granite Sentinel>, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (in Guo-Lai Halls), TAMEABLE
  • Sleeping Guardian, Krasarang Wilds (requires someone with quest to animate), TAMEABLE
  • Ruined Guardian, Krasarang Wilds (requires someone with quest to animate), TAMEABLE
  • Stonebound Watcher (ID 63605), Vale of Eternal Blossoms (central corridor in Guo-Lai Halls, requires Revered with Golden Lotus), TAMEABLE
  • Stone Guardian & Stone Guardian, Vale of Eternal Blossoms, (two NPC ids, both tameable. 59971 wandering, 59973 are sitting), TAMEABLE - phase out after initial VEB quest chain
  • Quilen Stonemaw, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (summoned in fight with rare spawn Urgolax), UNTAMEABLE
  • Stone Guardian, Kun-Lai Summit (requires someone with quest to animate), UNTAMEABLE
  • Guardian of the Elders, The Wandering Isle, UNTAMEABLE (FLAGGED TAMEABLE, BUT EXOTIC AND IN RESTRICTED STARTING ZONE)
  • Buried Quilen, Krasarang Wilds, Inanimate and not targettable, possibly only intended to be aesthetic and never active?? I'm not sure...

Stone, adorned:

Image Quilin_Amethyst2
  • Portent, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (four colours, hunter tracking tame), TAMEABLE
Image Quilin_Cobalt2
  • Portent, Vale of Eternal Blossoms (four colours, hunter tracking tame), TAMEABLE
Image Quilin_Jade2
Image Quilin_Jasper2
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Re: Status of Quilen

Unread post by Meggers »

Thanks for the spiffy list again Wain! Here's hoping an unadorned cobalt will make it in at some point, I personally like it better than the Portent version. Though I'll probably get the cobalt portent until the unadorned becomes available. :D
ImageImage
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

Beautiful work :)
Would it be possible to add in the levels for each?

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Astratia wrote:Beautiful work :)
Would it be possible to add in the levels for each?
Thank you :)

I think Doomcookie has most (or all) of the level info on her main list :)

This list was more to determine what is and isn't currently available. A lot of things may have changed colour or tameability since they were added to the main list and I wanted to be sure we didn't miss out on any colours when MoP is released, if possible (and if Noah has time! :) )
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Thanks for pointing out that the organic brown eventually phases out. Not that I can even get the relevant VEB quest chain, as I haven't been able to complete the KLS temple quest, from other people tagging my quest mobs.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Quilen Guardian, Mogu'shan Palace, TAMEABLE
Just to repeat my earlier findings here, this guy is ridiculously hard to tame due to regular aggro drops. He'll need to be HoJed or otherwise stunned while you tame, much like old school King Krush style. :) Definitely not the easiest red organic quilen to tame!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Of note, I think the Stone Guardians in KLS (which are activated during an ambush quest there) can cause problems with the quest if tamed. I'd already done the quest so I had to wait for someone to come by and activate them. I tamed one of the four and the player killed the other three. However the boss never became attackable. I think my taming of one of the beasts meant it never registered that they were all defeated. The summoning player was opposite faction so I couldn't ask. I just had to apologize and shrug.

So I'd be interested if someone could please confirm this. :)

Along similar lines, if a player tames the Beast of Jade boss (random boss in phase 2) in the Greenstone Village scenario, I wonder if it halts the scenario? I wonder if a trio of Petopians might be able to please test this? :) My hunter is in Petopia Horde and we're unfortunately a much smaller group so it'll be harder to get a group together to test it. But I'll try to tonight if nobody has first.

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Status of Quilen on the beta

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Wain wrote:Image Quilin_Red
Terracotta Guardian, Kun-Lai Summit, TAMEABLE BUT BUGGED: BECOMES A USELESS STATUE!
That's weird, I tamed one before the last patch and he worked perfectly fine. Went there again and tamed another one, still works fine. Maybe there's more than one with different IDs? The one I have is ID 59773. But just in case, I have one question: did you dimiss it right after taming it? I got into the habit of doing that to prevent bugs that can surface at times with tameable beasts that have mechanics while in the wild, which makes the game think your new pet is still the wild npc. Dismiss Pet kinda works as a reset in those rare cases. I haven't quested at all in Kun-Lai though, and when I go there I see some sort of energy bolts coming from above that turns the Terracotta Guardian and those Mogus there into statues and vice versa if I'm not mistaken, so maybe one hit your pet? :?
ImageImage
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Wain wrote:Image Quilin_Red
Terracotta Guardian, Kun-Lai Summit, TAMEABLE BUT BUGGED: BECOMES A USELESS STATUE!
That's weird, I tamed one before the last patch and he worked perfectly fine. Went there again and tamed another one, still works fine. Maybe there's more than one with different IDs? The one I have is ID 59773. But just in case, I have one question: did you dimiss it right after taming it? I got into the habit of doing that to prevent bugs that can surface at times with tameable beasts that have mechanics while in the wild, which makes the game think your new pet is still the wild npc. Dismiss Pet kinda works as a reset in those rare cases. I haven't quested at all in Kun-Lai though, and when I go there I see some sort of energy bolts coming from above that turns the Terracotta Guardian and those Mogus there into statues and vice versa if I'm not mistaken, so maybe one hit your pet? :?
Odd! I'll check that out. I tried taming many of them, and no matter how fast I was with the tame (after they animated), they always became statues again as soon as the tame completed. I tried dismissing lots of times, logging out. Even managed to get one killed. Nothing stopped it from just standing there as a statue. The pet control bar always remained greyed out.

I wonder what was different... :/

Thanks for letting me know, anyway!
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Wain wrote:I tried taming many of them, and no matter how fast I was with the tame (after they animated), they always became statues again as soon as the tame completed.
I... tamed mine when it was a statue... you might be on to something! :shock:
ImageImage
Kalliope

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Wain wrote:I tried taming many of them, and no matter how fast I was with the tame (after they animated), they always became statues again as soon as the tame completed.
I... tamed mine when it was a statue... you might be on to something! :shock:
That's exactly what happened when I did some testing. ^_^ The only way the quilen stayed a normal quilen post-tame was if it turned into a statue during the tame.

YouTube Edition

Undra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Undra »

I apologize if I'm late to the party and this is old news, but are the Quilen using the worg skeleton again?
Kalliope

They're using the winged guardian skeleton, which has been modified to have extra animations, such as death. ;)

YouTube Edition

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Undra wrote:I apologize if I'm late to the party and this is old news, but are the Quilen using the worg skeleton again?
They're actually now using a mixture of the Alliance gryphon (or winged guardian) skeleton and the cat attack animations.
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

I love their walk 'strut' animation.

I also really hope the colbalt one becomes a mob somewhere for the hunters that really want one. -crosses fingers-

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

copying Danielfboone's post from the screenshot thread:
Danielfboone wrote:I didn't take a shot but I should have after what happened yesterday. I was hunting Bloodtooth but needed a Stable slot so I abandoned my organic red Quilen KungPao knowing I could easily get him back. After finding and taming Bloodtooth, I then abandoned Aotona to open up another slot and went back to where the red Quilens are and called Terracotta Guardians. I waited until one animated and started taming it. Right as the tame completed, it turned back to stone and I was left with a pet that wouldn't move or do anything. I let him get killed by one of the Terracotta Warriors thinking that he would revert form when revived but nope, he was still a statue. I abandoned him and started taming another that was in the stone form. The tame completed while it was still stone but he ran to my side in his living Red form. I really think I prefer the red organic to any of the stone Quilens, even Portent
Kalliope

*scrolls up* Yup, we discovered that already. :D

YouTube Edition

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Gah!! I thought I was all set on Guzou's final form being the grey stone....then comes Portent. I'm loving all the colors but green esp the cobalt and amethyst. Although I'm sure my bf will go for the green one when he gets around to lvl'ing his hunter in MoP. Sigh! More decisions!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As per other reports, Stone Guardian now grey stone instead of brown (at least it now matches its name!). Bronze quilen now brown instead of red.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks for the update, off to Townlong Steppes!