Losing the love of BM?...

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Losing the love of BM?...

Unread post by Slickrock »

So... looking at the BM AOE nerf, and the general approach to BM in Panda, and..

When did BM become the cooldown happy spec? Didn't that used to be MM? I remember when MM was the harder rotation. I'm not thrilled that base damage is consistently getting nerfed to control damage for the times that 5 procs or cooldowns line up. Yeah, you get great damage if everything lines up, but it kinda sucks when it doesn't all line up.

While I might miss some of my BM pets, I'm being drawn to MM as a spec that's easier to manage, and might actually do better dps at times when all the stars don't align.

(It doesn't help that the other hunter in my raid went BM because its the 'best' spec, and he has his little lineup of spirit beasts, and doesn't bring out other pets for missing buffs.. and he was SV all through DS because it was the "best" spec. He is a good player, but it is annoying.)
Account has been closed at user's request.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Re: Losing the love of BM?...

Unread post by Sasrei »

I actually really like BM, in fact I love BM dislike surv. I dont mind the gcds though annoying its not too bad. im still not used to having so many buttons to press and keep track of lol.

For some reason I cant get back in love with surv..

And the aoe nerf is for aoe pets only really, and not alot of people I know use an aoe pet anyways.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Amusingly, I am happy playing BM now that there are extra talents to watch out for. ;) Oddly, I am running with Orpheus still in PvP, as opposed to my silithid, since for some reason silithids are kill on sight, but a tarantula is not, despite going big red. It's hilarious. I feel like a stealth BM hunter AND I get to keep my favorite PvP pet.

If your other hunter isn't bringing pets for missing buffs, he's not a good player, especially not when there are buffs missing. This hunter from my old guild, Mr. Min-Maxer, would have zero problem bringing a pet for a missing buff if it didn't hurt his dps. There's nothing to lose with every pet able to be ferocity for a raid now, so yeah....covering all the buffs increases one's own dps as well, so THAT should be top priority.

I really miss that guy, sigh.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

Yeah, if I pvped a lot, might be different...

The other hunter certainly does rotations better than I do, I tend to keep my mouth shut, he also keeps up on gearing, the only thing he really is sub-par at is pet management (and he's also the GM!).

I do have my hyena and will be picking up a wolf, but not in love with either. I'm hoping the raidchecklist is working soon, as the in-game tool doesn't keep track of debuffs...

I might just bring my favorite boar to raid next week for the lols, but since we are working on heroic Spine still, that might not be the best choice... sigh.
Kalliope

Anyia is working on it in another thread, actually. :) There's an alpha version up!

If you're missing the physical damage debuff, it could be helpful. :)

YouTube Edition

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

One of the things I disliked about BM was it's relatively simple pve rotation. I loved it for pve but in pve I was just bored. I came from having a warlock as a main and I like having to keep track of lots of stuff. The current BM pve rotation is a step in the right direction. I'm still getting comfortable with the feel of BM right now but so far I'm really liking it. I find it to be a balance of watching cd's while making sure to use KC as soon as it comes up, and keeping track of focus so you don't get capped.

Ironically, it seems that Warlocks have been simplified now while Hunters have gotten a bit more complicated. At least for Destro as far as pve goes.
Slickrock

I hate tracking too many cooldowns, especially if they need to be stacked....
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

But the thing about the new cds is that other than in your opener (so readiness can refresh them all) for the most part you don't want to stack them. Get a good cd timer addon and it's a lot easier. A lot of hunters use Need to Know. I personally don't like the format of it and prefer Button Timers and Power Auras. PA isn't functional right now but it should be by the time MoP hits.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

I'm going to be honest here
I've played BM since vanilla, i love the spec and all the little tricks with it
Been through the title of worst DPS class/spec in the game, slaughtered thousands so on and so on, but not a single thing would prepare me for how much i absolutely love the new talents and BM. it's not as set as it was, many things are conditional, we have to many neat little abilities now and we've gotten so many awesome pets i feel we are getting a lot of love in my perspective

signature thanks to Kurieno
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Power Auras is functional if you check 'Beta' as your preferred release type in Curse Client. Or, at least, it offers a new version for you to download when you do so.

And I love having more to do as BM! It was easy to learn and hard to master, but at the same time...it was too simple.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Not right now. He took down the betas, because people were being whining drama queens and didn't know the difference between a beta and a release. Since he wasn't getting any useful feed back he took em down and is planning on putting something up in a week or so that is closer to a release state. It is a shame too since the current version works pretty good.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

A small nerf to AoE shouldn't kill your love for a spec considering AoE doesn't matter that much.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock

Jessibelle wrote:A small nerf to AoE shouldn't kill your love for a spec considering AoE doesn't matter that much.
It wasn't the nerf, it was the way it was nerfed. Instead of nerfing the proc stacking, they nerfed the base damage.

But again, my real issue is that BM is becoming even more of a cooldown-happy spec, and I'm not a fan of it going more in that direction.
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

^ I'm with you, there.

I enjoy either weaving or a rotation so I can pay attention to the pretty graphics and mechanics instead of having my eyes locked on my action bar. But, that's me :)

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

There will be addons to manage it and we dont have THAT many cooldowns. Then again, I'm used to playing a druid. Cooldowns aren't an issue with me. I think it makes BM more interesting. Old rotation was boring.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Yeah, an extra two buttons to push isn't the end of the world. :P One of them's only every minute and a half!

(That's if you took Lynx Rush and Dire Beast.)
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

It honestly makes me love BM that much more cause it gives a new flavor to the rotation.

LisaaraPokefarm

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Kalliope wrote:Oddly, I am running with Orpheus still in PvP, as opposed to my silithid, since for some reason silithids are kill on sight, but a tarantula is not, despite going big red. It's hilarious.
:lol:
So it's not only my problem?

I'm keeping a spiritbeast for pvp, and a rhino for 'special moments'... although I haven't really pvped in 5.0.4. yet (too busy packing alts up for Pandaria)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Kalliope

Myrrmi wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Oddly, I am running with Orpheus still in PvP, as opposed to my silithid, since for some reason silithids are kill on sight, but a tarantula is not, despite going big red. It's hilarious.
:lol:
So it's not only my problem?

I'm keeping a spiritbeast for pvp, and a rhino for 'special moments'... although I haven't really pvped in 5.0.4. yet (too busy packing alts up for Pandaria)
It amuses the hell out of me, since almost every hunter I've seen in a bg has been BM in some shape or form....which means ALL pets should be KoS....but they're not. Non-exotic pets still fly under the radar. Other classes are so silly!

YouTube Edition

Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

I've started using NeedtoKnow, which sticks handy timer bars onscreen to keep track of anything at all:

Mend Pet duration
Hunter's Mark duration
SS duration
KC cooldown
Dire Beast & Lynx Rush cd

etc etc

Loving the complexity of it atm, and still getting to grips with the rhythm and flow of it all. :)
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted