Calling All RPers!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Calling All RPers!

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Since getting back into WoW, I've been really hooked on RPing again. So I'm curious, do we have WoW RPers on these forums anymore?

If we do, are there any preferred styles?
-In game?
-Skype?
-Forums?
-Some method I couldn't think of?

As much as I've RP'd out of game, I'm still kind of fresh with it in game, but for anyone interested, I'm on Horde side of Wyrmrest Accord. Just don't be offended if there might be some days or characters I don't feel like doing anything. Some characters aren't fleshed out yet and some days I just want to be doing my own thing or am hanging out with friends. Just ask and I'll let you know. :)
Characters you might see me on in game:
-Maobai - Panda Monk
-Rinessa - Panda Warrior (She's a mature character so warning before you engage with her)
-Rosaliah - Blood Elf Hunter
-Derinard - UD Priest (she's only IC if she's in shadow spec)
-Mikaiya - Tauren DK
-Erenaiya - Tauren Paladin
-Caeleri - Blood Elf (technically a red dragon, but since that shouldn't come up in RP, elf :P) Mage
-Kril'za - Troll Warlock (he can be more mature, but I can play him either way)
-Mortakka - Troll Druid
-Nycomi - Goblin Rogue
-Bragzen - Tauren Shaman

RP Characters I have on other servers:
-Willowe - Staghelm; Worgen Druid (Only IC if Resto)
-Indigosa - Staghelm; Night Elf Druid (ICly she actually looks like a high elf, I just didn't want to reroll a DK and transferred her from Horde to Alliance)
I've dabbled a bit on MG, but don't have any concrete characters there right now.
I am generally open for just about any type of RPing, though some fetishes I might shy away from.

All that said, if enough people were interested in trying something on these forums again I could see if I couldn't come up with some sort of storyline.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: Calling All RPers!

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Once upon a time, a nice blood elf made a little RP guide > right here <!

I do play WoW only on RP-realms and if it wasn't for roleplay, I'd stop playing the game entirely.
It gets kind of repetitious after 10 years...

Unfortunately, I'm on the german realms, so we probably won't get a chance to roleplay together.

For me, there's only two ways to RP:
  • good old pen & paper
  • with a character in some MMORPG
Anything else, like Skyper, would feel kind of strange and I never even tried it on forums.

I'm glad to see that RP isn't dead yet in WoW.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I would like to get into RP in WoW, and have several characters in WrA and MG...but haven't found anyone willing to really help me develop my characters or Do some sort of RP with...well, there was one person but they turned out to be trying to groom me for ERP...So, I kinda stopped RPing...but I want to get back into it!

I have a horde pandaren on WrA, Kazey.

Short version:
She is/was a Dreanie, who died...but hasn't yet.
She was mortally wounded in a great fight protecting/healing innocents, but the moment just before her death, Nozdormu ripped her from her timeline.
She has become an agent of the bronze flight and is sent to different times to aid/heal certain hero's so that they may succeed in the deeds they were meant to do.
Her task is to ensure the survival of the hero's that the infinite dragonflight seeks to destroy.
She is a Pandaren when helping hero's of the horde, Dreanie when helping hero's of the alliance.
And she is "Blind", Though being a Shaman she has "other" ways of seeing.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think it's a very interesting concept, I would just be very prepared to work very hard on a character that is kind of "going against the grain" so to speak. I'm not saying she's bad or anything (my main RP character was a dragon death knight so I have no room to judge); they just require a little extra work sometimes to fit in. Ideally, if you play her right, when you're on the Horde, people should never know she's nothing more than just a Pandaren shaman, and that she's blind and heals.

And sorry to nitpick, but couple of spellings: It's draenei and heroes unless you're using it possessively (ie a hero's sword). :lol:

My questions for you in developing this character are: How do you intend to RP her in game? Keeping in mind that by the lore/game standards, our player characters are actually rather unimportant and just kind of there. It was Varian Wynn who killed Onyxia and not us, for example. :)

What defines a hero by the bronze dragonflight/her standards? Does the definition include regular citizens that might have the potential for greatness in them?

Do you feel like the direction you're taking kind of limits you to either specifically special NPC's or dungeons?

These are not meant to be critical, by the way, just to get you to think about the character and help with development. :) I've had my friends do it with my characters as well, especially when I made a wolf for Werewolf the Apocalypse.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Well, Makoes, that is one hell of a concept, no doubt about that.

But, and I hope you really get what I mean, it's quite a chunk to chew, especially for a beginner in role playing.

Like Tyger pointed out, this concept is not to be played out in the open. Both charakters should always keep their secret.
And with this, you made a decision that brings along two new "problems" for you to solve:
  • Your concept is, aside from your own point of view, worthless, as nobody else will ever know about it.
  • You now have TWO charakters that you need some concept for, although both concepts will be lies, as your secret concept is the truth.
I've been role playing for about 30 years now, pen & paper first, MMOs later.
If you'd ask for some advice, here is what I would tell you:
Start off a little smaller. In the beginning, pick ONE of those characters to roleplay her.
Absolutely do read that guide I've linked in my earlier post. It'll give you some idea on what you have to think about and maybe gives you an idea why your concept may be a bit advanced.

I know, great epic stories are very tempting. It's a typical thing for beginners. This is not meant offensive.
The best thing about role playing is the development of the character. Just like in the WoW engine, you start of small and weak, developing over time and, that's what I would do, have that Nozdormu concept as a destination you want to reach rather than it being your story so far. I'd even would like to see both characters as separate people who will later be melted into one soul by Nozdormu.

There has been, way back in time, a story (or better: several stories) written by Michael Moorcock. It goes like this:
Prinz Corum Jhaelen Irsei, Elric of Melniboné, Dorian Hawkmoon, Erekose... All these are Warriors fighting for the good, although some of them, especially Elric, tend to have dark sides as well. (Elric was born weak and an albino, so he needs to wield a black sword called "Stormbringer", which consumes the souls of its victims and feeds Elric with the life power it drained. Otherwise he wouldn't even be strong enough to live.) But when reading those books, sooner or later you'll find out that all of them are mere aspects of just one thing: THE ETERNAL HERO.
More or less, it's just one soul "damned" to fight for the good in all times, dimensions and incarnations. Moorcock also did one thing, that I always found very cool. He had these incarnations of the eternal hero find a task they couldn't do on their own, so he arranged a meeting of two or more aspects of the ternal hero, so they can help each other out.
This is, what I'd probably go for with your shamans.

But again, start out smaller, get used to role playing and then start to think big! ;)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, I'll agree with Bhando. I started with Indigosa, my dragon death knight, and just coming up with a viable backstory for her was very complicated. Hell, it still is. I'm looking to tidy her up at some point and I need to go in and prune more to make her better.

After that I've swapped to mostly really simple characters. Sure I made another dragon for funzies, mostly to use with my friends, as good dragon RP means that no one else in game will ever know she's a dragon (which is fine).

I had a friend that gave me some good questions to help you develop this character if you decide to pursue her, Makoes. :)
"Other than that, maybe a few questions for developing her. Why did Nozdormu choose her, specifically? Was she a significant war hero, some kind of prodigy, did she unknowingly rescue a bronze in disguise, etc etc? How does she manage this shapeshifting? How does she feel about her predicament - was she forced into it, did she become an agent willingly, is she afraid of returning to her timeline when she's about to die? How did she become blind, and how does that affect her?

One major critique I have of blind/deaf/otherwise physically disabled OCs is how people usually have some kind of macguffin that more or less makes it like the OC doesn't have the disability in the first place, which begs the question why they were even given it (obviously, there's a lot more to this - if the character got it in an RP event, for instance, or if the owner of the OC has a disability themselves and uses their OC as a form of coping, to relate to them, to provide visibility in RP circles, etc - in which case I say they're free to do as they choose. So a big "but..." to that, heh). If they do have some macguffin that helps them, what are the limits to it? For example, Toph from AtLA can use her bending to "see" around her, but can't see when she's standing on something that isn't earth (ie a metal or wooden ship or in water)."

Don't forget, Nozdormu is a major lore character so his involvement with your character will need a really good reason to be justified as opposed to it being a more minor bronze dragon. :)

Otherwise I really like what Bhando said; some very good tips for starting out with RP.

And none of this from either of us is meant to be mean or put you down! We're only trying to help. I know I go to my friends a lot to have them critique my character concepts to make sure they'll work. Was just recently working out little bits of my UD priest as I didn't want her to have that "traditional" Forsaken mindset. :)

[/center]
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I'll see about getting together a more in depth description about her.

Though I will say that atm, the Pandaren portion of it is relatively new as I faction changed her to get away from the person who was trying to force me in to ERP. So that particular part is the most wip.
For the most part though about her and the bronze flight, wouldn't really come up in RP, it's mostly been a thing in my head as I play her.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

*raise the hand* I am.

I play mostly in game (not at the moment), maybe will play on tumblr with drawings, I'm not sure. For WoW, I'm only on french servers. You can see me with
- (Main) Narmë Auberouge (Reddawn), blood elf hunter. Tiny, grumpy, and not really friendly. She try to start her life anew, while doing only legal job to fed her family. (Mercenary, and working with hunter master/stable master/fly master for training beasts and all.)
- (not main at all, still lvl 27 since 2014) Flann Auberouge, big sister of Narmë, a mage. I don't really play her, but Narmë talk of her sometimes. She have the legal guard of Narmë's daughter.
- Madame (Lady), Crachefeule de Valcendre (I have no idea how to translate that. What's the name of Queen Desire Farseer's cat ?) a high elf death knight. She kinda like a gaunt greyhound, with little to no interest in everything that do not involve battle.
- Malaes, a young (Only 540 years old) druid night elf, the great grand daughter of my Demon Hunter. She's a recent character, I don't really know her yet.
- Jarodh Anton, a worgen quack, bone-setter. He's a little lost since the exil from Gilneas.
- Oel, a death knight troll. I don't really play her anymore, since her cousins don't play WoW at all now.
- (futur) a night elf old demon hunter, while a friend play her twin sister.

I MAY have a thing for elves. There was other characters, but I don't think I'll ever play them in Rp anymore so I left them out.