Art Q: auto-tracing line art into vector graphics

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Art Q: auto-tracing line art into vector graphics

Unread post by Anyia »

I'm posting here in the hope that one of you talented line-arty people will have some wisdom for me :)

So my situation is that I have a pencil sketch that I've scanned, and am now needing it to load into my CAD program for further tweaking before I can machine it. This means I need it as vector graphics, ideally SVG but DXF would work too. I had naievely thought that auto-tracing lines off a pencil sketch should be reasonably straight forward, and that I'd be off adjusting beziers and moving feature groups around in no time. (You may laugh at this point, it's okay, I won't mind.) As I'm not normally doing this sort of thing, I'm not blessed with Illustrator or similar professional tools. I've tried using Inkscape's auto-tracer, and while largely functional, it generates an ungodly amount of nodes which makes any post-processing hopeless, even after Simplifying the path. Likewise I'm no longer equipped with a tablet, so I can't quickly hand-trace it either. That is, assuming there even is a way of getting beziers straight off a tablet these days - maybe I'm displaying more naivite here? Re-tracing with a mouse is not working out for me all. Me and Bezier are no longer on talking terms (likely because I don't have the feel for where I need to drop a node to make everything line up once I tug at it).

Hence my question - is there any sane way of doing this using free software? Have I overlooked something that's obvious to someone who works in this space a lot? Suggestions are most appreciated! At the moment it feels like the path of least resistance would be to just print a copy, stick it on the material to be machined, and then just hand-route it, but even that approach would benefit a lot from a clean-up pass in the CAD program (or Inkscape, for that matter).
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: Art Q: auto-tracing line art into vector graphics

Unread post by Talihawk »

I hate using illustrator, so I rarely use it, But if you are going to ask art questions I'd suggest going to deviantart and asking there. They have a forums area, and lots of groups that might have some one who'd be able to answer this if no one here can.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Thanks Tali! I ended up doing the unthinkable and read the manual for Inkscape, then just dropped the scan in the background and redrew it with b-splines. Took a couple of hours, but worked out ok.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Fun. ;( Is inkscape able to save it in an illustrator format?

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Yeah it can do .eps and a whole heap of others. For getting it into my CAD program (FreeCAD), the default SVG format worked well.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Cool! I'll have to check that out.