How to get Wowmodelviewer to display 'missing' textures

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

How to get Wowmodelviewer to display 'missing' textures

Unread post by Wain »

I'm not really sure which forum to put this in, since WMV is used for so many different things.

If you use Wowmodelviewer, no doubt you've come across models where part is untextured and white. For example, both the old bats ("felbat") and the new bats ("bat") aren't rendered with any wing textures. In most of these cases, the skin exists, but WMV just doesn't have any info on what to do with them.

It turns out there's a fairly simple way to fix this, which involves adding one plain text file to the program folder:

- In the "userSettings" subfolder of the Wowmodelviewer app folder, create a text file named Skins.txt . This file will be used to describe how skins should be applied to problem models
- The file format is:
path\to\modelname (case insensitive, don't include the .m2 file suffix)
<number of sets of colours for that model>
<for each set: 3 lines, 1 texture file name per line (or blank line)> (texture names are case sensitive)
<at least two empty lines after the sets before adding the next model>
Lines that begin with an '#' are ignored.

- You MUST have exactly three lines for each set of textures, so if a model only requires two textures, you should leave a blank extra line in there.

In case that didn't make much sense, here's an example for fixing the old felbat model (which has 4 colours, two texture files per colour), followed by the new bat model (5 colours, two textures per colour), and then the new regular and epic bat mounts:

Code: Select all

Creature\Felbat\felbat
BATSKIN01
BATSKIN02

BatSkinBrown01
BatSkinBrown02

BatSkinViolet01
BatSkinViolet02

BatSkinWhite01
BatSkinWhite02

Creature\Bat\Bat
BatGreen1
BatGreen2

BatGrey1
BatGrey2

BatTroll1
BatTroll2

BatUndead1
BatUndead2

BatWhite1
BatWhite2

Creature\Bat\BatMount
BatTroll1
BatTroll2
BatTrollSaddle3
BatUndead1
BatUndead2
BatUndeadSaddle3

Creature\Bat\EpicBatMount
EpicBatMountGold1
EpicBatMountGold2
EpicBatMountGold3
EpicBatMountSilver1
EpicBatMountSilver2
EpicBatMountSilver3

(There was no need to include the black epic bat mount as it already displays correctly).

I was aware of this function for some time, but I could never get it to work and I thought it was long broken. It turns out that the example that WMV gave said to add ".mdx" to the end of the model name, but this causes it to break (as does adding ".m2").

I've attached a Skins.txt file that I created that covers most of the ones I was interested in. There are probably plenty of other models with issues that I hadn't looked at. It covers most of the troublesome beasts and mounts anyway!

I should add that it also includes listings for some WoD models that you probably won't have, just in case that confuses you.
Attachments
Skins.txt
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.