Shaon's Tale: Part One

Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Shaon's Tale: Part One

Unread post by Sochi »

Shaon’s Tale

Author’s Note. I may or may not bend a few things here. I shall try not to deviate from lore or such and stay true to the game. I will take a few liberties here and there. I felt that Shaon needed a story, one that encompassed her current “life” and some of her past. Writing is one of my favorite hobbies, its my English major past, and I’ve decided to share some of my work with you all. This is a new piece, but one I might work into another tale or make it something on its own.

Having performed her duties as a young hunter, Shaon had gone to the take the tests of the Farstriders. She proved herself worthy of a hunter’s greatest honor, a companion. But having walked the forests of Eversong, having seen the marvelous creatures of her homeland and in the homelands of other members of the Horde, she found nothing that called to her.
So Shaon sought out a mentor, a hunter of worth who had traveled far and seen much. She asked about animals not found in Kalimdor or in the Eastern Kingdoms. This hunter asked her questions, seeking out bits and pieces that would help her fine Shaon the right creature. After many such inquiries, she then told Shaon of the black cats of Teldrassil. She spoke their midnight fur with its fine white spots and blotches that looked like snow on obsidian. Shaon was entranced and knew it in her heart that she wanted such a creature. But she wasn’t sure how to go about reaching them. The hunter told her there might be a way and sent her to Durotar, to seek out a certain troll.

The woods had that grayed over, misty look to them, just like the rest of the world had. This was the threshold, the point between life and death. She looked up, past the thick limbs of the ancient trees of this place, past the dusky leaves to the sky above. It was an unsettling sky, a thick swirl of something like mist, spiraling upwards to an unknown point.
It called to her to follow. To let go of this false existence.
Death, it be no easy t’ing to break, girl. It lays a verra heavy hand on those it would claim. The Spirit Healer, she let ya go if ya will her to. But beware, girl, for she gonna try her hardest to keep ya.
The troll witchdoctor had told her this before handing her a small vial in which was held a somewhat thick substance. The liquid in the vial was potent poison, the sort a very malicious rogue would give several toes to possess. It worked fast, it worked quietly. There would be no pain and the point of death would be as falling into a deep sleep. But it would allow her to walk the Spirit World until she was ready to return to the world of life. It would allow her to get to where she needed to go.
So Shaon had traveled to the Mor’Shan Rampart and there met with a grizzled hunter of the frostwolf clan. He alone would understand her need. Ashenvale was far too dangerous for her to travel at this point, its denizens would not allow her trespass. And even should she make it through that old forest, navigating her way to her final destination would have been fatal. The night elves were elves, but there was no love between them and Shaon’s own folk, the blood elves, the Sin’dorei.
The orc hunter had watched this slight elf explain her need to him. She introduced herself as Shaon, of Sunstrider Isle and of Silvermoon. She was lithe and athletic, her raven hair allowed to fall to her shoulders and her slender ears sporting delicate hooped earrings. She looked far too fragile to be a hunter, as though the beasts she sought to tame would be her end instead. But the orc’s smile grew as she told him of the cat she would have as a companion and in the end he laughed and clapped her on the shoulder. In his eyes, this new hunter had guts. She was full of hot blood and thunder. He would see that she had what she needed. And what she needed was a place to slip into death where her body would be safe. The orc hunter and the others here at the Rampart would see to that.
The poison had gone down as would a fine wine, slipping down her throat to her stomach. She felt it creep like alcohol into her system, warming her blood. There was no pain and soon her eyes slipped closed. Her breathing slowed, slowed past the point of deepest sleep until her breath came no more.
The spirit world was twin to the world of life, grayed out and dark. Devoid of life, home to those on their way to the beyond. And above her, always above her, was that swirl of mist with its inexorable pull.
Shaon looked down at her body and though how much it looked as though she slept. She stifled a shiver and allowed herself a grim smile as she took off through Ashenvale. Her feet were light and she moved swiftly. She had studied a map before she had taken the poison and she knew well where she was going. Through Ashenvale she ran, passing through Astranaar and past Maestra’s Post. Those night elf bastions would have hindered her in life but in death she passed by unnoticed. Up the road and to the forest’s margin, ghosting over sand now and then water. She found that odd, that water was a solid surface for her here and she decided then to follow the coastline right up to Auberdine.
At Auberdine, with its docks that hosted ships from Stormwind and Azuremyst, Shaon stepped onto the boat that would take her to Teldrassil. It was a short wait and a fast trip, the sleek elven ship cut the waters of the sea between Auberdine and the small village at Teldrassil’s roots, making the trip in an hour perhaps. Time was strange here and Shaon could not tell if it had been hours or days. She felt neither tired nor thirsty. She disembarked and stepped through the portal into Darnassus. Shaon took little note of the city and made her way to its far gates, passing into the forests beyond. She was seeking a Spirit Healer and such would be found at a graveyard.
She found one near Dolanaar, the winged being resembled a woman of indeterminate race, she might have been human or elf, Shaon could not tell. She beckoned to Shaon and whispered in a voice that sounded like hundreds of voices together. Shaon could not make out what she was saying and so turned her back on her for the moment, studying her surrounds.
Shaon stood there a moment, gathering her will and resolve, and then turned to face the Spirit Healer. “I would return to Life,” she said, as the troll had advised her.
“Would you not see the Ever After, child?” The voice was everywhere and no where, a collection of sibilant tones, cajoling and promising all at once. The Ever After would be a paradise. It would be free of strife, free of pain and suffering.
“I would return to Life, Spirit.” Shaon made her tone firm and looked the Healer right in her misty face.
The Spirit seemed to consider for a moment, then without a blink or a nod said, “As you wish.”
With a jolt that seemed to knock the wind out her, or maybe wind back into her, Shaon found herself in a suddenly brighter world. She shut her eyes against the sudden brightness. There was air in her lungs, and she gasped as she took her first breaths. She felt the beat of her heart, the rush of blood all around her body, the air on her skin. Every sense seemed magnified, the world new, fresh and large.
Her legs were not yet ready to bear her, so Shaon crawled away from the graveyard, away from Dolanaar and any night elves that might spy her out. There would be Sentinels in Dolanaar and Shaon had no wish to meet one of those warriors in her current state. So away she crept to a fern carpeted hollow where an overhang was found, dense with hanging moss and ferns. She curled up here, sipping water and taking small bites of dried fruit. She wanted her strength back before she headed out into the woods. Once she had eaten, she checked her weaponry, concealed herself further and took a nap.

~End part one~
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Shaon's Tale: Part One

Unread post by Makoes »

Beautiful!! Wonderful imagery and flow.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Jaekira
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Jaekira »

Ooo. Nice opener for your background story. I can relate to Shaon searching far and wide for that perfect pet. Whatever it takes! Right? Well done. On to part 2!

Uloo of <Petopians> on Nesingwary, US

Nel
Realm: Detheroc

Unread post by Nel »

What a wonderful story! I loved it! I can not wait to read more, and I really loved how you described the "Spirit World".

You may step in love many times.
Only do you fall in it once.

Http://Dragcave.net/user/Nelium