WMV Question

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

WMV Question

Unread post by Lisaara »

How do you get Gara and other models to show their glow properly with their new WoD WMV?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: WMV Question

Unread post by Wain »

Sadly you can't. The shimmer effect on the special wolves isn't something that is understood by the current WMV (and I think Wowhead's model viewer which probably borrows from WMV). Our solution for Petopia and Warcraft Mounts was to take the base model and use a graphics program to up the saturation and adjust the colour balance till they looked a lot like the real thing. The shadow model probably required the least tweaking. The fel model a bit more, including a little more yellow in the green. The cinder model needed the most since it needed to go from dark red to fiery orange. You may need to leave the collar out of the adjustment, or at least adjust it less.

The difficulty is that Blizzard has their own proprietary model format. With each expansion they've added new effects to it but third parties haven't always managed to reverse engineer them and work our what's happening. The luminous effects on spiked crabs and the fire turtle are two other things that WMV and Wowhead can't currently render. My hope is that once 0.8 is in final release I can help them work out some of these effects. I'm not a professional so I may not be much use but we'll see. At worst I can encourage them to try ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Drats. That sucks. Cause I tried everything and it's still this....bland purple wolf. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All this is just upping the saturation, colour balance and contrast and (from memory) shifting it a bit to the blue.

It's years since I've used Photoshop so I'm not much help. In Gimp I can adjust the colour balance for different parts, like adjust highlights separately from shadows. Maybe Pshop is the same. But have a play with all the colour and light controls until you can see it's going the way you want it to.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah, I see that. Also, I'm trying to find Skoll in there. Can't seem to find him.

LisaaraPokefarm

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nevermind. I found him. Damn. They don't make this easy. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Junrei wrote:Nevermind. I found him. Damn. They don't make this easy. XD
Yeah, at the time the artists make those, I assume they're often uncertain what they'll be called in the game. So riverbeast is still named "hippo", rylaks are still (sensibly!) under "chimera2", etc.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah. Loque was some strange name entirely and I found him by accident.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Loque's model is named after his mate. Har'koa.

I remember the fix for the luminous/bi-colored crabs and Terrorpene is there is an extra skin WMV wasn't adding onto the model. They where semi-transparent skins that had to be added on top of the bottom skin WMV was displaying. I had to merge the skins together in GIMP and create a small patch to make WMV replace the default skin with my custom one. I'm guessing the problem with the wolves is similar?

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wassa wrote:Loque's model is named after his mate. Har'koa.

I remember the fix for the luminous/bi-colored crabs and Terrorpene is there is an extra skin WMV wasn't adding onto the model. They where semi-transparent skins that had to be added on top of the bottom skin WMV was displaying. I had to merge the skins together in GIMP and create a small patch to make WMV replace the default skin with my custom one. I'm guessing the problem with the wolves is similar?
I'm not sure if the wolf issue isn't particles. Particles since Cata are understood very poorly and both WMV and Wowhead often fail to render their effects. Not sure in this case, though.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wassa wrote:Loque's model is named after his mate. Har'koa.

That's just it. I didn't find him under Harkoa. I wasn't looking for him, but I found him under some odd name like Xenia or something.

LisaaraPokefarm

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

That is strange...

Loque can be found right where he belongs: Harkoa!

At least in my WMV!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Sorry to necro a thread, but I didn't want to start a new one if I could find a thread that was similar to what I'm looking for.

I just downloaded WoW Model Viewer but am having issues getting it to load a character from a bnet link. It's asking for it to say /simple or /advanced at the end and not have special characters. I'm pretty sure http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... h/advanced fits that, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? I haven't used WMV in a couple of years so I'm feeling a little lost with the program right now.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Sorry to necro a thread, but I didn't want to start a new one if I could find a thread that was similar to what I'm looking for.

I just downloaded WoW Model Viewer but am having issues getting it to load a character from a bnet link. It's asking for it to say /simple or /advanced at the end and not have special characters. I'm pretty sure http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... h/advanced fits that, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? I haven't used WMV in a couple of years so I'm feeling a little lost with the program right now.
There were some recent issues with WMV related importing characters from the Armory. It's due to changes in Battle.net authentication that Blizzard made.

I thought the issues had all been fixed now, but maybe not. According to this post it was, anyway:
https://wowmodelviewer.net/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=963

Are you sure you got the very latest version?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, maybe his link to the latest one is wrong. Try this one:
https://wowmodelviewer.net/wordpress/?w ... 085-sslfix
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Hm, I thought I had downloaded the newest version, but it looks like I didn't. Will try the one you linked.

Edit: That did the trick, thank you Wain. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

No worries. I think he hasn't updated the link on the download page to that latest version. He only updated it in the last couple of weeks.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

A little late to the party here, but OMG thank you so much Wain! I had just downloaded an updated WMV and all was working well model wise (which I will say FINALLY because the last two times I tried to use it, it was broken and I was sad) BUT I couldn't import from the armory with the new one (which is something I may have taken for granted back in the day), but the version you linked lets me import now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!