Lahni Darkspear and the Taming of Arcturis

Lahni
Realm: Shadowmoon

Lahni Darkspear and the Taming of Arcturis

Unread post by Lahni »

I finally snagged Arcturis, my first spirit beast! After weeks of fruitless camping I flew to his spawn point and he appeared seconds after I got there, as if he'd been waiting for me. I proceeded to freak out and tame; it went well. :) It made me so happy I decided to write a little story. Feedback is appreciated, maybe even some handy tips for improvement from you writers out there! :D This is my first written WoW story ever, so I'd like all the help I can get.

Lahni is a Darkspear troll. She is somewhat short for her species, but still naturally towers above most other races of Azeroth. Her skin is a pale shade of greenish-blue, and her hair is dark and coarse. She is an experienced, worldly troll; an Ambassador and an Explorer. Her passion for the hunt has taken her far and wide, and her travels have had certain effects on her; her once-thick trollish accent has nearly worn away as a result of her time spent away from home. She has a very silly, laid-back personality, but she has become somewhat grave as of late; since the great Shattering of Azeroth, rumours of new lands, new creatures, and new arts have surfaced, and she feels a bit helpless; she needs some greater assistance. She needs Arcturis.

High in the air, perched atop Swiftwing, her trusted Cenarion hippogryph, Lahni felt expansive and weightless. She surveyed the rolling, night-clad hills surrounding her, knowing exactly where she was; she and Swiftwing had been coming here more and more in recent weeks. Her light, airy mood was smothered by the doubt rising in the pit of her stomach as she and her hippogryph scanned the ground below, but saw no trace of the fabled spirit bear, Arcturis. She knew she could not wait long, and prepared for another unsuccessful hunt as she directed Swiftwing to one of the great, towering pine trees nearby. They would be much safer at such heights, with the Alliance only a matter of yards away from them.

The troll absentmindedly ran her fingers through Swiftwing's feathers as her thoughts wandered back to Valtiel, her beloved lavender Frostsaber. She had been greatly troubled by the recent disaster that had torn the pair's homeland and twisted it almost beyond recognition. Though her fighting days were over, she and Lahni remained close companions, and Val often served as an advisor to her huntress. It was she who had given her the idea to seek out Arcturis; surely the great ethereal bear would be a great help to Lahni in these troubled times. The troll had protested, arguing that the bear had only been seen by a lucky few, and that surely he would not reveal himself to her. But Val was firm: she would not stand for her huntress to be accompanied to unknown lands by anyone but the very best. And so, Lahni had set out to the Grizzly Hills, not to return until she had found what she was looking for. She whispered a short invocation under her breath, hoping with every fiber of her being that Arcturis would hear her pleads.

A soft gust of chill wind rustled through the trees. Lahni felt Swiftwing draw his breath in sharply and stroked his soft feathers, mumbling for him to settle down. He turned to meet her eyes and warbled urgently, directing her attention to the ground below. As Lahni glanced down, her heart suddenly skipped a beat and she nearly fell from their tree: several yards below them stood a large, glowing form. Could it be.. Arcturis? Lahni felt for her longrifle on her shoulder and motioned for Swiftwing to bring her down for a closer look. The well-trained hippogryph descended silently and expertly, both mount and rider trembling with excitement. As ground touched hoof and talon, Lahni swiftly dismounted and Swiftwing crouched in the shadows, ready to swoop in at the first sign of trouble and carry her to safety; though he knew Lahni could handle even the fiercest of monsters, he was greatly protective, as was Val.

Lahni crept closer to the bright shape before her; as her eyes adjusted to its light against the darkness, she was able to make out the shape of a large, druidic bear. She sensed it in the surrounding air: this was Arcturis, the legendary spirit of Grizzly Hills. With shaking hands, she fumbled for a trap, planting it at her feet. The bear had not actually looked towards her yet; his back was turned, his gaze set on the multitude of grizzlies fishing in the nearby stream, but she had a strange feeling that he was still watching her. She stepped back and took in a deep breath. She sensed Swiftwing's tension and glanced over her shoulder to nod at him; he nodded back in encouragement. She steadied her hands and began the tame.

The mighty bear leapt towards her with ease, swiping at her exposed feet and head. There was a certain eagerness to his strikes. Lahni ignored the pain of his blows, digging her toes into the soft earth, and continued weaving her hands in the ancient way and chanting under her breath with all the grace of a huntress who had performed this ritual many times over. Ancient energies coursed through her body, the energies of Darkspear hunters and their companions long past; she could hear their warcries, the encouraging shouts of her ancestors. She could feel it: the bond was nearly sealed. Suddenly, the bear's strikes ceased. A quiet calm enveloped the night as he stood and regarded the huntress. He gazed into her eyes knowingly; they had both been anticipating this night. Lahni knelt in front of him and stared back. "Arcturis," she began, the name echoing in her mind, as if it could barely register what had just happened. "My home has been torn apart by Deathwing's hatred. But within this tragedy, there also lies opportunity. New lands have been uncovered, there is more to learn, more to see.. more to fight for. I have come to seek your guidance. Will you stay by my side and fight?" The spirit said nothing; he simply eased towards her and laid his head on her shoulder. His translucent fur was warm despite the chill of the night, and she felt soothed by his touch. As their minds connected, the bond between huntress and beast fully intact, she was overwhelmed by a wave of confidence and trust. As she enveloped her new companion in a hug, she knew he would assist her into the unknown. "Thank you.." she whispered.