Skyrim

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: Skyrim

Unread post by Worba »

Is there a way to check game version, e.g. maybe someone missed a patch or something?
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Turns out, it works now... Weird, considering I was 100% sure I saw favouriting something take away the favourite triangle off something else a couple days back.
Poesje
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Poesje »

The Esc button menu shows the version in the lower left corner.
"O, si vile, si ergo, fortibus es inero! O nobile, demis trux. Vadis indem? Causem dux."
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Apparently, equipping [Morokei] along with [Archmage's Robes] results in having a kitty without a face.

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Golden wrote:There's a bug with the Dragonborn questline - the guy you're supposed to find in Riften (forgot his name >.<) doesn't have a voice, so his lines will simply flash past, apparently causing the environment to think I didn't talk to him yet. Result? His cell door won't open. .
There's a fix to this--I ran into it as well. Apparently cracked versions of the game have it worse, but it can happen on the legit too from what I've seen. You need the Morrowind, Oblivion or Fallout 3 file unpacker (I had the Fallout3 one), and you need to go into the Data folder, find the voicesextra file, or whatever it's called, and extract its files directly into the Data folder.

One bug I'm running into a lot, which I am growing to utterly, loathingly hate, and which has required multiple reloads and listening to long conversations 9-10 times (TALKING TO YOU HERE, HIGH HROTHGAR PEACE COUNCIL!) is the bug that selects the wrong text option. I will select it into the middle of the replies, have the arrow over it, have it highlighted with the mouse cursor, and yet when I click / press e, another chat option will be selected. If anyone hears an angry New Yorker shrieking "THAT IS NOT WHAT I EFFING SAID" (effing being slightly altered ;) ), that's me hitting this bug again :P

I have also had things randomly unfavorite themselves, and also randomly lose their saved hotkeys, but that's a far more minor issue. I love being able to name my enchanted ebony sword Alduin's Claw, and my likewise enchanted ebony bow Alduin's Breath, so the menu issues are a minor inconvenience :)
Davarra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kargath, Suramar, Eitrigg, Korialstrasz, Nagrand

Unread post by Davarra »

Most of the nuisances can be modded out, but I'm a numpadder so decided to just use x360ce and a cheap gamepad I had laying around rather than try to force myself to use the awful WASD controls.

Overall I'm liking it, I'm finding it actually fixes some of the fiddliest nuisances from Oblivion. Stealth mechanics are generally great...I'm doing a stealth archer/dagger DW and the damage is crazy, if I can strike from stealth successfully.

Sig and av by the very talented Kurenio!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

great review there. very throuough
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, I found myself kind of playing with everything. In the other games I was a Khajiit thief, so that's my preferred playstyle, but really it didn't do much for me in Skyrim. It seems like anyone playing at all would want to up their lockpicking, what with all the chests out there, and that the moral choices with the usual thief routes (Thieves' Guild, mainly) just aren't fun anymore. Magic also seemed far more accessible than before. You've got more freedom to decide what skills to play with, but none of them seem hugely gamechanging.

As a result of this combination of things, I've wound up a heavy armor user with decent magic skills, very high stealth & archery, and dual-wielding sword/mace. Because it's my first playthough, I'm kind of experimenting with everything, so my skill points are currently all over the place :lol: I have blacksmithing stuff, enchanting, some magic, sneak, lockpicking, etc. It's an utter mess, and I love it, although I'm still not sure if I prefer it to having the feel of a true thief.

I will very likely make an Argonian (coincidence that they can look EXTREMELY draconic this time around?) to delve further into a more pure darkness/stealth/murder aspect, and play more with the Thieves' Guild/Dark Brotherhood.

One thing I've been really remiss in not mentioning, by the way--Acrobatics is gone in Skyrim. I cannot recall if it was around in Oblivion, but I really miss the leaping/jumping enormous distances, racing over rooftops etc. back in Morrowind :(
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Alright, so I finally got around to trying out the PC version, and the UI clunkiness makes it damn near unplayable. I'm going to wait a while until mods come out and they fix a bunch of it. I can't believe how clunky, frustrating, and counter-intuitive that interface is on a PC. This article went over the drawbacks pretty well: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw ... C_Game.php
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, it's definitely more complicated & buggy than it should be.

One of my pet peeves of the system and a sure sign of bad design: Chest usage. Highlighting the chest's item list, pressing E will take the item from the chest and place it in your inventory. Highlighting your own item list, you have to press R to take an item and place it into the chest.

E will instead equip it. Not only that, but if you happen to press R with the chest open, you loot EVERYTHING--a real PITA if it's a home storage chest >.>

The selecting-wrong-chat-options issue--the game reading that I've asked for option A, when in fact I selected option B with both mouse & keyboard--is really starting to infuriate me, and has necessitated more game reloads than I care to count.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I've been hearing mixed reviews of the game. Some say it's a good play and others say no. I can't say I didn't expect bugs to be lurking around not long after release. I've been considering nabbing it off Steam. I can get used to a weird interface, but I just want to know if it's a good time waster. XD

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Poesje
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Poesje »

Definitely a good time waster! :D
"O, si vile, si ergo, fortibus es inero! O nobile, demis trux. Vadis indem? Causem dux."
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

Sigh, think I'll just give up with this thing. As fun as the game is, I just can't get over the crappy controls. I'm now completely unable to make any changes to my Favourites, as for some reason the F key simply won't do what it's supposed to. Now I'm just happy I didn't waste any money to get this game.
Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Golden wrote:Sigh, think I'll just give up with this thing. As fun as the game is, I just can't get over the crappy controls. I'm now completely unable to make any changes to my Favourites, as for some reason the F key simply won't do what it's supposed to. Now I'm just happy I didn't waste any money to get this game.
You could substitute a game controller to play the game with if the mouse is driving you nuts.
I read a thread on the Betheda forums where people have been playing the PC version using the Xbox 360 controller. So if they could play the game with that controller maybe it can be done with other controllers. *Just maybe not the Wii remote. Which would kinda be awesome. Swing the remote, slice an enemy. Jab the remote out, punch an enemy. Dang, maybe they should've made a Wii version.*
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

Arwyn wrote:
Golden wrote:Sigh, think I'll just give up with this thing. As fun as the game is, I just can't get over the crappy controls. I'm now completely unable to make any changes to my Favourites, as for some reason the F key simply won't do what it's supposed to. Now I'm just happy I didn't waste any money to get this game.
You could substitute a game controller to play the game with if the mouse is driving you nuts.
I read a thread on the Betheda forums where people have been playing the PC version using the Xbox 360 controller. So if they could play the game with that controller maybe it can be done with other controllers. *Just maybe not the Wii remote. Which would kinda be awesome. Swing the remote, slice an enemy. Jab the remote out, punch an enemy. Dang, maybe they should've made a Wii version.*
Unfortunately that is something I don't have. :( Somehow I don't believe a PS2 controller or a DS would work.
Poesje
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Poesje »

If you have a USB converter, you could use the PS2 controller.
Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Installed it on my old computer and got my mother hooked into it, lmao. XD

Also, it turns out that Khajiit have rather elastic tails when you kill them:
(Their games are always so god damn glitchy!)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/F ... Tail_1.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/F ... Tail_2.jpg
Arwyn wrote:*Just maybe not the Wii remote. Which would kinda be awesome. Swing the remote, slice an enemy. Jab the remote out, punch an enemy. Dang, maybe they should've made a Wii version.*
That'd be possible, all you need is a WiFi dongle and a USB sensor bar. Done. XD

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Hmm, the XBOX 360 version doesn't have the bugs you all are talking about. I mean, here and there some little weird things happen, but overall it seems to work just fine. Just in case some of you were on the fence about whether to get it for your PC or your 360. Personally, for single-player RPG games like this and Mass Effect, etc., I always buy them on the console because I love to lay on the couch and play them in comfort. Maybe it's just because my computer chair is old and uncomfortable, but there's just something nice about crashing on the couch all day with some Coke and my PJ's on, with my doggy laying on my lap. :3

Edit: My hubby is wondering if there's an arena like there was in Oblivion. I haven't seen anything like that yet. Is there one?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Poesje
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Poesje »

Buying a game for a console rather than a PC means that you give up the ability to install mods, better graphics, and freedom over the controls you use. Bethesda games have always needed second-hand patches in the forms of mods to work well, and Skyrim is no difference. There are already "patches" popping up, and thats not going to stop. Buying it for the xbox because of performance is a moot point.

Console vs. PC always makes for such interesting arguments!
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

Felidire wrote:Also, it turns out that Khajiit have rather elastic tails when you kill them:
(Their games are always so god damn glitchy!)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/F ... Tail_1.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/F ... Tail_2.jpg
*chokes* That's the best thing about this game; the glitches!! XD

I recorded my own last night: (Spoiler alert! If you haven't played at least halfway through the Dragonborn questline, you may not want to watch that) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhdTmvaCMmM
I like to call it Drake Lake.

Another one I sadly didn't think to record, was a Cave Bear dying - but its corpse got stuck in a running animation. <.<'

Also, regarding the conversation bug, I've found I can go around that by always going all the way up or down in the lines so that the frame aligns correctly before actually picking what to say.