My SW:TOR Review Of What I've Seen So Far

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: My SW:TOR Review Of What I've Seen So Far

Unread post by Worba »

GormanGhaste wrote:To this day I still refuse to play paladins, even in WoW, because I didn't want to play a lawful good character in D&D. I never had a problem being in campaigns with mostly neutral characters, it always seemed more natural than trying to be Good! or Evil!
Ha, yes. I played them alot (in D&D), purely because they were so badass (compared to fighters), but yeah, eventually I had to admit that I was doing a pretty horrible job of actually being lawful good - I'd make the stupidest excuses for why it really was okay to kill some NPC who was simply being annoying or obstructive.

And from the DM's perspective, effectively incorporating alignment into the campaign means designing tough moral choices, which is hard to carry off even for an accomplished author / screen writer let alone a reclusive teenager... so yeah, neutral is certainly simpler all around in a paper & dice RPG. Not saying it doesn't happen in the paper & dice RPGs... it's just harder.

But in an MMORPG it's a very different story, which is why I like to see games that make an effort to make a player's actions stick to him / her, and confront those kinds of dilemmas that don't always work so well in an offline RPG.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Rhyela wrote:Rift I would still play if my computer could handle it better
Just a heads up, my computer played RIFT just fine, but SWTOR's setting requirements are a bit higher (i have to play on lowest settings possible)

Good review Tyger, I'm definately looking forward to it. 1 month today of being WOW-free myself! *applause*

But nothing was funner than playing through the first SITH flashpoint, I seriously had not won 1 dialogue option roll all night.

It came to the decision in which to kill the Republic General or take him prisioner.... The group all agreed to kill him... but I hit take him prisioner and won the roll! It was pretty funny. Its neat that you can earn DS or LS points for your intentions, even if some oddball like myself ends up winning a roll on a dialogue option that you didn't want
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Worba wrote:But in an MMORPG it's a very different story, which is why I like to see games that make an effort to make a player's actions stick to him / her, and confront those kinds of dilemmas that don't always work so well in an offline RPG.
That's why there is no Save Button. Once you decide to kill your nemesis in the Sith Training Academy, he's dead for good. I wondered as I ended his life if perhaps he would come back later on if I let him live. No regrets, that jerk deserved it.

Thats the bonus with going SITH, I feel I wouldn't get options like that going Jedi. I tried a Jedi Knight for a bit, but after hearing "may the force be with you" over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, I couldn't take it.

I like to view my character as a Good lovable Sith Pureblood who has good intentions, but if someone attempts to cross him he'll not hesitate to strike them down.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

So now that my screenshots for SW:TOR seem to be working properly, I'd like to share some stuff real quick from the beta. :D

First is Tyger, my Chiss Bounty Hunter (who is also likely to become my main character):

And then there's Chlora, my Twi'lek Sith Inquisitor:

And Aosha (pronounced Ow-shuh), my Miraluka Jedi Consular:

And a couple of companion shots; first one is Khem Val, the Inquisitor companion, and the second one is Qyzen, the Consular companion, and the third is Mako, the BH companion:

One of the neat little features to the game is that sometimes you'll get little messages in your mail from some of the people you've interacted with in your missions--sometimes these mails even have gifts. :D
(And you can also see the UI in this shot; I'm hoping for more customization with it.)

Some location pics:

The main city in Balmorra:

Part of the Imperial Fleet:

The Cantina portion of the Republic Fleet:

My bounty hunter's space ship:

Couple of weapons pics:

My Inquisitor Assassin's double bladed lightsaber (it's yellow from the crystal enhancement in it):

My bounty hunter mercenary's blasters, UI setup, and a showcase of a couple of her healing abilities:

This next one was hard to capture using it on my companion, but, essentially, with my healing gas combustible equipped, one of my shooting abilities allows me to fire on friendly targets to heal them:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:with my healing gas combustible equipped, one of my shooting abilities allows me to fire on friendly targets to heal them
Friendly fire! I want this on my WoW hunter. :)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It's insanely amusing to just run around shooting people and healing them. XD I spent like half an hour spamming it on my boyfriend as we ran around questing together (the sound or something annoys him). :P

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:It's insanely amusing to just run around shooting people and healing them. XD I spent like half an hour spamming it on my boyfriend as we ran around questing together (the sound or something annoys him). :P
Are they like the Warrior priests in WAR where they have to be up close and doing damage before they can heal? I liked healing as one of those. Bashing in skulls and healing skulls!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Considering my bounty hunter is a ranged character, no she doesn't go into melee to heal. She blasts lazers at her allies and using scans, atm. I haven't experienced anything past level 18 for BH healing though. Mako also heals from range as well. I have yet to encounter sorcerer healing yet, but I do know that healers seem intended to do combat and heal.

[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Shooting people with lazers to heal them just does not seem right :lol:
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

cowmuflage wrote:Shooting people with lazers to heal them just does not seem right :lol:
Can do it in TF2!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Kalliope wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Shooting people with lazers to heal them just does not seem right :lol:
Can do it in TF2!
That is true that is ture!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It doesn't seem right but it is oh so very awesome. :D

http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#300.1
If you look at the bodyguard talent tree there, you can see a couple of other blast based healing abilities (or so I'm assuming, they might function more akin to the scanning abilites).

[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

TygerDarkstorm wrote:It doesn't seem right but it is oh so very awesome. :D
I liked my Warrior priest he was fun in that way. XD you had to kill before you could heal people. He was like a real mans pally.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

One thing I liked was also the instanced zones (Korriban 1, 2, 3, 4) I would bet that it reduced the lag significantly, although it confused me quite a bit when I was grouped for the first time.

(if you dont know, you can switch between Korriban 1,2,3 and 4). So say if you're questing under Korriban 2 and you want to join up with a group that's currently in 3, you hit Map, select 3, quick load screen, and bam, you're in the same instanced zone.)

Makes it alot easier for those "kill __ quests" if you're only combating 1/4 the normal traffic.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just keep in mind that swapping between world instances puts your little hearthstone ability on CD. :) But I agree, it is a nice feature. I also like how smoothly we can transit into the special quest instances (not the Flashpoints, but the little green doorways on the map for the story stuff) so that way a bunch of other people aren't ruining your quest experience or anything. And I like that it doesn't take a loading screen to do so.

[/center]
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

They closed beta testing today. So soon.. 15 days ARRRGGGHHH!! Cant wait :3

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

10 days for those of us with early access. ;)

[/center]
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:10 days for those of us with early access. ;)
Oh! And thats why I love you Tyger I forgot ;D

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

yeah you should be getting a email on the 13th to let you know when you're queued for early access

*also will let you know about what server you're assigned to etc*
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Actually, early access starts the 13th. ;) You should get an email before then depending on the order of your queue.
The Old Republic Community wrote:Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. Pre-load the game client now, so you're ready to play when your Early Game Access invitation arrives. Note that download time can vary and may take awhile.

[/center]