SWTOR .............

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: SWTOR .............

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Royi wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:I'd of liked it more if it was set in the classic time line. Heck most Starwars fans would off XD
too much Cannon they would have to tip-toe around. with KOTOR theres 1000's of years of uncharted story to create
Still it would of sold more. Most Starwars fans don't really like KOTOR. It was a risk they took and it did not go that well.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

cowmuflage wrote:Still it would of sold more. Most Starwars fans don't really like KOTOR. It was a risk they took and it did not go that well.
I wouldn't say that. Most SW fans I know love KOTOR and many were interested in SWTOR. The problems they had with SWTOR were the general MMO failings.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Kalliope wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Still it would of sold more. Most Starwars fans don't really like KOTOR. It was a risk they took and it did not go that well.
I wouldn't say that. Most SW fans I know love KOTOR and many were interested in SWTOR. The problems they had with SWTOR were the general MMO failings.
True. I guess it depends on who you know. Most of my friends who are Starwars fans don't like it. Still they would of had more sales at the start if it was in the classic timeline. Even if it was set after the movies as more people know that then KOTOR.

In anycase no Star wars MMO has done that well. Their FPS on the other hand just seem to get better.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I will add that it does suck that it is not doing so well as more big mmos out there the more competition for WoW and that's how you get good content out of a game. Less competition will make a company lazy.
Kalliope

WoW's competition is from non-MMOs, like LoL. They have enough reason to be on their toes. :)

YouTube Edition

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

True. Forgot about Lol. Funny when you think about it with out warcraft lol would not be around and now lol is competition to them XD
Kalliope

LoL's population is higher, actually. Although who knows how many of those accounts are active/smurfs (alt accounts for players).

Still, that community is terribly toxic...but that's MOBAs for you.

YouTube Edition

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Royi wrote: Rhy what are the numbers like that you saw?
Maybe I'm tired and extra-derpy, but what do you mean?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Rhyela wrote:
Royi wrote: Rhy what are the numbers like that you saw?
Maybe I'm tired and extra-derpy, but what do you mean?
i don't really know, i thought you hinted about seeing numbers of FTP and subscribers in SWTOR currently, just was curious if thats what you were talking about.

I have SWTOR installed and I logged in for a couple minutes. I think since I bought the DDE I am a "preferred player", wonder how much limitations that means.

I'm on a burnout of MMO's atm, I'll probably play some maybe in a couple weeks and decide if subbing for a month is worth the extra Currency you get if you do it by Dec 20th or 22nd

Has anyone tried the FTP and found it somewhat enjoyable?
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Oh, nah, no numbers. I just meant that for me personally, the way GW2 does their free-to-play is better than SWTOR's. Everyone has the same options and access to everything to start (same number of character slots, same race choice, same bank, same amount of crafting professions, etc.), and you can choose to purchase things in addition such as extra bank slots or extra character slots. But to start out, everyone is the same. With SWTOR, you're extremely limited compared to those who buy the sub. I knew it would have restrictions and such, but I didn't think they'd go so far as to not even give FTP people a dang bank. THAT's the kind of crap that made me like...uhhhh.

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Well after paying for a month and buying a pack of Cartel Coins for extra fun, I'm quite hooked in this game again.

I don't think I'll be hooked that much on the end-game, I'm tired of end-games altogether.

Leveling wise- I'm enjoying some of the new Legacy perks (that you can simply buy out immediately with cartel coins) like having a GTN (Auction hub) on my ship, repair droid and mailbox. It makes my ship have meaning and its kind of nice to "hang out" in as dorky as that sounds. If only you could decorate it or place certain items on the walls etc.

At this point, people who are still playing it are generally the non-complainers I think. Complainer types (myself somewhat last winter) have left long ago.

I'm really digging the Jedi Knight storyline right now. I look forward to doing new storylines later on as well for a Smuggler and a Jedi Consular. Preferred status players only get 2 characters a realm atm, but it will soon be upped to 6.

I'll be able to still enjoy the game without subscribing too. You can use Cartel store to make a few one time purchases to unlock more of the "full game" (the parts that matter to you anyways).

Anywho, I'll probably sub at least one other month just to keep a few of the perks while I level my first character to 50 (soon 55 with the new digital expansion). Then once I build up a strong legacy, being a "preferred status player" will be hardly noticeable. I just wish they had character transfers since my Sith is on a different server than my Jedi atm.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm on preferred status myself right now, and have been really itching to hop back onto my inquisitor. The only reason I haven't yet is because I really need to finish Mass Effect 3 first. :lol: You said they're going to up the limit for preferred status to six slots soon? That would be fantastic!!!

I never have hated the game, I've always enjoyed the story and the universe and all that. I know it's not a perfect MMO, but my husband and I had fun nonetheless. I myself played a Jedi knight as my first character, and the storyline is pretty good. ^_^

Glad to hear that there are still others who enjoy it, too!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Oh...I just found out about Vector Hyllis. Maybe I'll be doing F2P after all... :)
Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I adore Vector :) I rather enjoyed Aric Jorgan,Malavai Quinn and Corso Riggs too
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Well, I logged in tonight and played for a little while. I still like the game itself well enough, but now I realize that if I wish to play it again, I'm going to have to subscribe. Just about EVERYTHING is something you have to unlock if you're not a subscriber, and that's after I already have some things from being a preferred status player. I mean...quest rewards, experience, the ability to hide your head slot, unify colors to your chest slot, use all three of my crew skills, display legacy surnames and titles, etc. Every little perk or convenience has to be paid for with coins.

No, they're not required to just play through the story, but I got so used to having all those things for the few months I played that now I log on Asano and I'm like D: I have nothing!!! I did spend 300 cartel coins (they gave me 1,800 evidently) on displaying my titles and my new shiny legacy surname. I had a free re-name after they switched me to another server. And I just HAD to have my "Lord" title back. :P So now I'm "Lord Asano Kadaj".

Oh yeah, only three races are available to play per class, too. I think smugglers had four, but maybe one of them was one I'd already unlocked. Even my beloved rattataki are unavailable to me anymore. So thankfully, I had already created Asano or I wouldn't be able to make her without a sub. Blah!

I guess it's one of those things where if I decide to play again, maybe just spend $15 for a month here and there to have all my quality of life things. My husband and I let four subscriptions (two for WoW, two for SWtoR) keep going month after month when we weren't playing because we kept forgetting to cancel, and then when our old house didn't sell, we just couldn't justify the $60 a month on stuff we weren't playing. Maybe if I buy game cards, that'll help me keep a closer eye on it.

Anyhoo, I still like the game, even though it feels more single-player than an MMO ought to be. But, my husband and I did have fun so maybe it's something we can play together again someday. I just don't think I can do it without a sub. I'm too spoiled. Well, and whether he admits it or not, so is the hubster. :lol:

Kalliope

You're not spoiled; way too many of the basic perks (like medical probes) have been overly restricted.

This is the kind of choice that is going to drive me off rather than get me to dump more money into TOR, just to get back what I had before F2P.

YouTube Edition

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

...Medical probes, too? I didn't play long enough to look into everything. Yikes. This is exactly why I said what I said about GW2 being better as a F2P game. Sure, you have to buy stuff like extra bank tabs and character slots, but all the "little" stuff is the same for everyone. There's no buying inane crap that, in my opinion, ought to be free to everyone. If SWtoR wanted to restrict things like character slots, bank space, stuff like that, okay. But the little piddly things? I dunno man.

Let's just say I didn't play for long tonight, because I couldn't stand not having all that stuff. If I'm gonna play it, it's all or nothing. I wonder if that's what they were counting on. I'd guess that it'll backfire before it helps.

Kalliope

Rhyela wrote:...Medical probes, too?
Yup, you get five. Period. And that was with "preferred" status. I "prefer" to stay away with that limitation alone, simply because....well....PvP server. >_< That just sucks all the fun out of everything for me.
Rhyela wrote:Let's just say I didn't play for long tonight, because I couldn't stand not having all that stuff. If I'm gonna play it, it's all or nothing. I wonder if that's what they were counting on. I'd guess that it'll backfire before it helps.
Yup, pretty much this.

This is a very very sad state of affairs, especially since KOTOR 3 could have been developed instead....and now they're killing this off too. :/

YouTube Edition

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

It's always sad to see a MMO kill it's self. But yeah your right they could of made a KOTOR 3 but I don't see them ever doing that now :s
Kalliope

Yeah, sadly. :( KOTOR 2 had such potential, but got rushed. KOTOR 3 could have at least wrapped things up in style, but instead, we get another (unrelated, mostly) mess.

YouTube Edition