SWTOR .............

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

SWTOR .............

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I've seen videos on the game but how is it really??? Read a bunch ............. thinking of getting it but really I have reservation about paying $50+ for a game with a monthly subscription that I am not really going to play enough to make it "worth it". So for those who play are you willing to give a small summary of your experience with the game?
I'm looking for pro's AND con's.
Likes and dislikes.
Things you love and things that irk you.
Is it just like WoW only newer?
The whole kit n kaboodle.
Thank you.
~Zed~ (aka Rex)

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Re: SWTOR .............

Unread post by Royi »

Lets just say Blizzard could delete every character, achievement, pet, mount of mine and I wouldn't care at this point.

They made me realize that Wow was a MMO... and what playing a MMORPG should feel like. If you like role-playing games you'll like this. If you've ever played the Mass Effects, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, (I guess basically anything Bioware) this follows that same "winning" format.

I'm not really dissing on Wow, but WOW isn't too much of a RPG. You get a quest and you follow the set direction. With SWTOR for instance,

*spoiler minorly*

I got a quest to go kill this one Sith's son, I get there, I have the option to kill him or "hear him out". I end up killing the Sith instead and my character gets to sleep with the wife as a thank you for sparing the son. Then later on I had an assassin come after me that the wife sent to try and silence me(go figure)

In Wow you never had that. There were some really great quests in there, but I never got to choose the outcome. It was always scripted exactly what your character's part was. In SWTOR there are many different possibilities and options that make the game truly endless. There are 8 very unique Class Quests that will take you all the way from 1-50 that develop your character into a benelovant savior of the galaxy, or the merciless destroyer of peace, or something in between.

If you're a fan of Star Wars, a fan of Bioware, or a fan of being able to choose which path you want to Save or Rule the galaxy, then its definately worth a shot.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Royi wrote:Lets just say Blizzard could delete every character, achievement, pet, mount of mine and I wouldn't care at this point.

They made me realize that Wow was a MMO... and what playing a MMORPG should feel like. If you like role-playing games you'll like this. If you've ever played the Mass Effects, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, (I guess basically anything Bioware) this follows that same "winning" format.

I'm not really dissing on Wow, but WOW isn't too much of a RPG. You get a quest and you follow the set direction. With SWTOR for instance,

*spoiler minorly*

I got a quest to go kill this one Sith's son, I get there, I have the option to kill him or "hear him out". I end up killing the Sith instead and my character gets to sleep with the wife as a thank you for sparing the son. Then later on I had an assassin come after me that the wife sent to try and silence me(go figure)

In Wow you never had that. There were some really great quests in there, but I never got to choose the outcome. It was always scripted exactly what your character's part was. In SWTOR there are many different possibilities and options that make the game truly endless. There are 8 very unique Class Quests that will take you all the way from 1-50 that develop your character into a benelovant savior of the galaxy, or the merciless destroyer of peace, or something in between.

If you're a fan of Star Wars, a fan of Bioware, or a fan of being able to choose which path you want to Save or Rule the galaxy, then its definately worth a shot.
That sounds great (mutters still need a damn job to get it and play), It reminds me a lot of what they did with dragon age. All those choices to deteremine how your story turns out far less then how everyones story turns out. Now if SWTOR wasn't an mmo and just a single player game with no fee I could have possibly talked folks into getting it for me.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm not very far along, but pretty much everything Royi has said. :D I transitioned quite eagerly from WoW to SWTOR. I love all of Bioware's stuff, and this is no exception.

And now that my new video card just got here today, maybe I can play it without lagging on LOW settings! :cry:

The only minor complaint I have, if you can even call it that because it wasn't even a big deal to me, is that the character customization could have been a little better. It's better than WoW's, but not quite as good as say Aion's or Rift's. But honestly, that's such an insignificant thing compared to how awesome this game really is. I wouldn't have even mentioned it except that I felt the need to be objective.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
zedxrgal

So the the game sounds A LOT like Skyrim. Which I absolutely LOVE. Everything you do in that game effects the outcome. Except with Star Wars it's an MMO. I am really going to have to consider this now. I'm on WoW break again simply because I'm just bored with the hamster wheel questing.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

To save myself the effort of repeating everything I've already said, here's a link to the in depth review I made during beta: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 40&t=16141

I still massively enjoy this game and do not regret giving up WoW at all.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
zedxrgal

Edit: Played. I'm a bounty hunter on the Zakkeg Beast sever. Xintana is her name. I love this game already. Holy cats!

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Tankperson wrote:That sounds great (mutters still need a damn job to get it and play), It reminds me a lot of what they did with dragon age. All those choices to deteremine how your story turns out far less then how everyones story turns out. Now if SWTOR wasn't an mmo and just a single player game with no fee I could have possibly talked folks into getting it for me.
Yeah if this wasn't a MMO by any means I would still would have bought it (if it was just a new KOTOR type game etc). I can lose myself without even talking to anyone else easily for a couple hours, and when I feel the need to mmo-socialize, I can whenever I want to.
Rhyela wrote:I'm not very far along, but pretty much everything Royi has said. :D I transitioned quite eagerly from WoW to SWTOR. I love all of Bioware's stuff, and this is no exception.

And now that my new video card just got here today, maybe I can play it without lagging on LOW settings! :cry:
I can't wait till Friday when I can afford to buy a new video card / PSU. No on-board graphics for me anymore! (but yeah Low settings has been all i've experienced). I can't wait myself. Asus EAH6770 here I come :)
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

Okay, now I want to play this game really badly. I loved SW and always wanted a "good" MMO of it. Knights of the Old Republic was fine, but this one sounds even more awesome after reading about it here. Any class suggestions for someone who LOVES being a caster (pref mage) in any MMO? Will also settle for a hunter-like class, but really prefer a "squishy wizard" type class. :lol:

Unless its mostly all Dark Side/Jedi stuff.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Caster I think you would want to go either Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor. But if you like to shoot things, then there are basically 4 very different ranged classes, Smuggler or Trooper (for republic) or Agent or Bounty Hunter (sith)

All classes can have a companion out at all times to make it feel like a "pet"
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Royi wrote:
Tankperson wrote:That sounds great (mutters still need a damn job to get it and play), It reminds me a lot of what they did with dragon age. All those choices to deteremine how your story turns out far less then how everyones story turns out. Now if SWTOR wasn't an mmo and just a single player game with no fee I could have possibly talked folks into getting it for me.
Yeah if this wasn't a MMO by any means I would still would have bought it (if it was just a new KOTOR type game etc). I can lose myself without even talking to anyone else easily for a couple hours, and when I feel the need to mmo-socialize, I can whenever I want to.
Rhyela wrote:I'm not very far along, but pretty much everything Royi has said. :D I transitioned quite eagerly from WoW to SWTOR. I love all of Bioware's stuff, and this is no exception.

I can't wait till Friday when I can afford to buy a new video card / PSU. No on-board graphics for me anymore! (but yeah Low settings has been all i've experienced). I can't wait myself. Asus EAH6770 here I come :)
The video card wasn't enough, it appears our processor blows as well. So, I bought a couple (one for me and one for my husband) and will hopefully have them delivered and installed soon. Yay!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Sarantha wrote:Okay, now I want to play this game really badly. I loved SW and always wanted a "good" MMO of it. Knights of the Old Republic was fine, but this one sounds even more awesome after reading about it here. Any class suggestions for someone who LOVES being a caster (pref mage) in any MMO? Will also settle for a hunter-like class, but really prefer a "squishy wizard" type class. :lol:

Unless its mostly all Dark Side/Jedi stuff.
Aye, like Royi said, the closest thing you'll get to a caster type class is a Jedi Consular (Sage advanced class) or Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer advanced class).

There isn't really anything like a hunter type class in SW:TOR, although I dearly hope they add beast handlers in later on as SWG used to have them and there's a HUGE amount of fabulous looking beasts in the game. However, since your companion acts as your "pet" I'm not sure they'll ever add a true pet class, and I've found I think I'll be okay with that. :lol:

Something that acts hunter-esque DPS wise would probably be the Sniper (and whatever it's Smuggler counterpart is) as they're sort of high single target DPS glass cannons, but they rely on their cover mechanic so they're not as mobile.

Bounty Hunters and Troopers have a bit larger AoE DPS while still having decent single target DPS, and they're a bit more mobile and kiting friendly. I love my BH Mercenary--I can clear a spawn of standards in one or two moves. If I'm lucky and Death From Below crits every hit, they die in one go, and that's in heal spec! :lol: I haven't gotten to play a sniper yet though so I don't have experience with how that AC feels.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

They should get that bounty thing from SWG that was cool. Don't see why it could not fit.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Rhyela wrote:
Royi wrote:

The video card wasn't enough, it appears our processor blows as well. So, I bought a couple (one for me and one for my husband) and will hopefully have them delivered and installed soon. Yay!

I would recommend any of the AMD Phenom II X4 's would do the trick. From what I've read anything above 4 cores isn't going to really net you any performance gain for this game yet (nothing is utilized over 4). I have a AMD Athlon X4 myself and it does the trick. I have a friend with a Dual Core AMD Athlon and he says it plays just fine too (on medium settings) since he has a decent graphics card.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Royi wrote:I would recommend any of the AMD Phenom II X4 's would do the trick. From what I've read anything above 4 cores isn't going to really net you any performance gain for this game yet (nothing is utilized over 4). I have a AMD Athlon X4 myself and it does the trick. I have a friend with a Dual Core AMD Athlon and he says it plays just fine too (on medium settings) since he has a decent graphics card.
We ended up getting this: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor. I'm sure it's not as nice as the Phenom, but with our motherboard, we didn't really have many options. I just hope the darned thing fits, works, and makes a difference. I can't stand lagging on low settings. We go to the lower markets or Black Sun area on Coruscant and can barely move. It's awful. :(

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

Rhyela wrote:
Royi wrote:I would recommend any of the AMD Phenom II X4 's would do the trick. From what I've read anything above 4 cores isn't going to really net you any performance gain for this game yet (nothing is utilized over 4). I have a AMD Athlon X4 myself and it does the trick. I have a friend with a Dual Core AMD Athlon and he says it plays just fine too (on medium settings) since he has a decent graphics card.
We ended up getting this: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor. I'm sure it's not as nice as the Phenom, but with our motherboard, we didn't really have many options. I just hope the darned thing fits, works, and makes a difference. I can't stand lagging on low settings. We go to the lower markets or Black Sun area on Coruscant and can barely move. It's awful. :(
Sounds like I need to worry about gettinga new computer before I can play the game even I'm running a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual cor processor 5000+. Or that's what it says ont he side of my computer. With a Nvidia geforce 6150 SE graphics card.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Rhyela wrote:
I think thats the exact same as my processor (works just fine). Have you checked how many W your PSU is? A lot of the newer graphics cards recommend at least 400W+ ~ The one that came with my computer was only 250W, so if I would just upgrade the video card without upgrading the PSU I would have problems there. I'm just thinking perhaps it could be a PSU issue, that your power might just not be "strong" enough.

Tankperson wrote:Sounds like I need to worry about gettinga new computer before I can play the game even I'm running a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual cor processor 5000+. Or that's what it says ont he side of my computer. With a Nvidia geforce 6150 SE graphics card.
Just has to be at least 2.0 Ghz Dual Core. I think that graphics is the on-board graphics, and if you want decent performance for games these days you really need to have a dedicated graphics card. The biggest boost to performance lies within the graphics card (as long as your PSU supports it and your processor is average).
Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I am thinking of trying this out but I am hesitant to buy the complete game ... what if I can't get into it? but I cant find a trial of any sort on the site, maybe I'm blind as I've missed the obvious on several occations in the past.
I used to play SWG back before they messed it up with the revamp and I loved it,I love the whole SW world and often miss playing SWG.
what do you guys and gals think?
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

Royi wrote:Caster I think you would want to go either Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor. But if you like to shoot things, then there are basically 4 very different ranged classes, Smuggler or Trooper (for republic) or Agent or Bounty Hunter (sith)

Are the Sith all evil or is it like the Horde? Not evil, but Jedi just think they are automatically. I loved Jedi in Star Wars, but I don't want to roll one if they are the SWTOR equivalent of alliance. I have 4 alliance 85s, but I just can't get into them like I can my horde toons. I guess you could say I prefer playing the "anti-hero" faction. Inquisitor just sounds fun anyway. Sounds like one of those old timey Inquisition priests or something. :lol:
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Sarantha wrote:
Royi wrote:Caster I think you would want to go either Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor. But if you like to shoot things, then there are basically 4 very different ranged classes, Smuggler or Trooper (for republic) or Agent or Bounty Hunter (sith)

Are the Sith all evil or is it like the Horde? Not evil, but Jedi just think they are automatically. I loved Jedi in Star Wars, but I don't want to roll one if they are the SWTOR equivalent of alliance. I have 4 alliance 85s, but I just can't get into them like I can my horde toons. I guess you could say I prefer playing the "anti-hero" faction. Inquisitor just sounds fun anyway. Sounds like one of those old timey Inquisition priests or something. :lol:
You could play a dark side republic character or a light side imperial character easily. As with WoW, more people seem to have rolled imp than rep, but the split is more even than all that. At any rate, "anti-hero" is in the eye of the beholder. I'd personally call the light side imps and dark side republic players the antiheroes.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!