Help getting started with Minecraft

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Help getting started with Minecraft

Unread post by Royi »

Hi people, I'm wanting to venture into the World of Minecraft and I have no idea how or what necessarily to do to start it.

I made a account at Minecraft.net ~ but a few questions:

If I buy the game and install it am I good to go? (IE simply run application and set)

I've seen / heard about all these people who want others to play on their 'servers' ~ what does that mean? Do I need to play on someones server? Or if I play by myself, would I always be playing with myself? (yeah I know how that sounded)

Thanks much for any advice :)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: Help getting started with Minecraft

Unread post by Worba »

Royi wrote:Or if I play by myself, would I always be playing with myself? (yeah I know how that sounded)
As long as you play nice, I see no problem... :P
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Well, first thing is first, when you buy the account, all you have to do is activate the account, and then download it. When starting up...enter your username, and your PW, and it should download. Depending on your internet connection, it should take 20 seconds to a minute to download. There you go!

About servers, some servers are complicated to understand, especially if they're hamchi. It would be best to search a tutorial on Youtube for better explanations. You do NOT need to be on a server, but if you choose to play on only Single Player, you will not be able to play with anyone else. But... you can download certain mods, and that "enhances" your MC exp. I normally use the Mod pack called Yogbox, which has not been updated for 1.1 atm. (And yes, Yogscast has developed this) Though, if you would rather want to install mods by yourself, once again, I would recommend searching on Youtube for help.

This is the "best" summary I can give atm. If you have anymore questions, I might be able to help.

(also, for servers, it's best to be a little nice to the people, because I've seen rude/blunt people get kicked asap. Also, greifing is a no-no for servers as well)

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

One of the first things I would do, is go check out The Yogscast on Youtube, and check out their Shadow of Israphel Series (at the VERY beginning episodes). Thats actually how I learned how to play Minecraft. That and the series gets really funny and drama-y the longer you go with it. Just a little fun idea. =P

Otherwise, I'd check out the Wikipedia for it. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki If your looking for something more technical more then amusing.
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

:nod: Yogscast first series of MC is also a good way to learn. I learned by watching Captain Sparkles, and another person. Was pretty funny :lol:

Tumblr is here.

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Thanks for the info :) If I go in Single player, say if I get a friend to join minecraft as well, would he be able to join me?

Or would you recommend me "hosting" my own server? I think if I could I would enjoy making a world that others could join and modify later on (ie if i get a few friends to try it out etc)
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Single player is as it says. Single player. Hosting a server comes in different choices. The most cost effective is a Bukkit server with Hamchi, but that's complicated.

Tumblr is here.

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

i got the game last night and started single player. I think I wont worry about hosting or joining others until I get more of a feel for it. I was able to commendeer another NPC's house that was next to a hill for the first night, then I was able to trick him to go outside the house and then barricaded the entrance so he wouldn't come back in :)

Super fun plugging away at the beginnings of making an underground lair attached to my new house :)