FF-XI memories...

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

FF-XI memories...

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I was listening to some videos on yootoob, and came across some Final Fantasy soundtrack recordings.

and a flood of memories came back.

one in particular was of weeks and weeks I had spent leveling in the Valkurm Dunes (ah, my Red Mage, and Beastmaster.. HOW could I ever have been happy without a perma-pet???). I remember that once I'd reached the right level to return to Bastok (I THINK that was the town), passing through Gustaberg the music just completely overwhelmed me. It was the most powerful sensation, sadness, joy, home-sickness... it was really a home-coming after having been away for so long.

WoW has some incredibly beautiful music as well.. but because of how the game is designed, you never really get to spend those extended periods of time away from your "home base". God only knows that I don't MISS it at ALL!!! It's just a different way of going through the game experience. I'm glad WoW doesn't force that hateful grind on you.

But that emotional catharsis from the music and that whole homecoming event is a hard one to replace, or forget. I'm much happier in WoW than I ever could have been in FF-XI. For me, WoW is the right game environment. But the emotional impact of that particular event will forever leave an indelible mark on my psyche.

I'm glad that WoW has also left marks on it :)
Of course, in my case, they were drug induced... relax, legal drugs... I had a bad reaction to meds I was on JUST as Cataclysm came out. I was an emotional wreck, and traveling around the post-cataclysm world kept making me burst into wracking sobs. Seeing Camp Taurajo in smoking ruins will be one particularly strong memory for me.

Anyway, don't know why, I felt like sharing this.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Re: FF-XI memories...

Unread post by Redith »

Effen hated that game. take forever to level to 30 then once you did that THEN you could become a dragoon, at level one ><
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

if you read my post, you would see it wasn't started to trash FF:XI, or even really compare it to WoW (although I DID make a few minor comparisons). I would much rather this didn't turn into a WoW vs. FF:XI thread.

Yeah, I prefer WoW.
But I still have fond memories of certain things in FF:XI.
And that was ALL I was really trying to talk about.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

Sukurachi wrote:if you read my post, you would see it wasn't started to trash FF:XI, or even really compare it to WoW (although I DID make a few minor comparisons). I would much rather this didn't turn into a WoW vs. FF:XI thread.

Yeah, I prefer WoW.
But I still have fond memories of certain things in FF:XI.
And that was ALL I was really trying to talk about.
Haha I obviously DID like the game at the time or else I wouldnt have spent 100+ hours on it :P
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

100+?
hope that's a BIG "+"
LOL
I think I spent that amount of time in a month.
And I played for a couple years.

"Step on no pets!"