AHHHH! *freaks out* ELDERSCROLL BETA INVIIIIITES!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: AHHHH! *freaks out* ELDERSCROLL BETA INVIIIIITES!

Unread post by cowmuflage »

So did I. Going to see if it's still crap or not :lol: Not getting my hopes up!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

My brother is going to give it another shot (he thinks he may have been "too harsh" last time), and sent me a beta key. I've got it downloaded and ready to go. I still don't think I'm going to change my mind about it, but we'll see.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I just tried it, man I hate to be negative but I really with I had that twenty minutes of my life back.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ehh, yeah, I am not impressed. Oh well! It was a free beta invite, no harm in trying it.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Same here. Wasn't impressed the second time around either. Its a shame. I was really hoping it would do well.
guess I will be waiting for the WoD beta now!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Okay I gave it one more try tonight but nope, I am super bored. Eesh, it really seems to be getting bad reviews all around.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

would love to hear why its boring :) i gave up mmorpg games when i quit wow but i had hoped ESO was wonderfull....

Also no screenies in screenshots ;)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

What made me bored was how far away quests and stuff where! going on foot was boring :/
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Okay, so I enjoy making characters, but I can't seem to get past level 4. I'm trying to give it a shot all weekend and at least get a bit higher so I can give it a fairer review, but...I dunno. I kinda start feeling a little bored, too. What's odd though is that in general chat, there are tons of people who absolutely love it. Hmm. I guess it just depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Whoop. Sorry about the lack of screenies. Me and my mate were having way too much fun playing to even think about it.
It was a new starting zone for me too, so that made it even more fun to me. We had a hell of a time completing a treasure map quest, but that was only because we weren't understanding the riddles right. Even so, we had a blast trying to figure it out. xP
We started pretty late at night because we were too busy during the day so we only made it to level 6. We might end up playing a bit more tonight as well. We'll see. If we do I'll try to grab some screenies.

Siggy under construction!

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

I think I'm kinda changing my mind on it. I created a new character that I really like, and started over fresh. Instead of trying to look at it like the next big MMO, I'm trying to look at it as just another Elder Scrolls title, but one that I can play with my husband or brother. Instead of focusing on classes and things like that, I'm just trying to get into the lore, the exploration, and the other things I love about other Elder Scrolls games (namely wandering around aimlessly finding new places to explore). Granted, this version is a little more watered down - like right now I don't think you can steal or pickpocket, and there don't seem to be as many things to interact with in the environment - but overall I think now that I'm trying to look at it in a different light, I kinda like it.

I still don't know whether or not it's worth $15 a month. My husband is going to try it today and maybe if he likes it, I'll get it. I'm the type of person that doesn't mind paying subs for games as long as they hold my interest and are worth it to me. But strangely, I've been having a fair amount of fun with it this weekend, so we'll see.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

eh after giving it another go I still think it's still a giant pile of poop. :/ I can't even view it as another ES game because it just feels so much like a cheap knockoff of one. :S

Also I wont ever get over you having to buy the CE just to play as an Imperial. No good reason for that.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

If I were playing by myself, I don't think I would spend the money on it because it does feel like a watered-down, "cheap knock-off" version of typical ES games. However, having someone to play it with does help, I think.

Unfortunately, I hear the quest to get off Bleakrock Isle is broken, so I don't think I'll be able to see the next zone. :(

Edit: I think part of the problem may be that they were fluffing it up by saying it's "JUST LIKE AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME BUT ONLINE!", when really it's not just like an Elder Scrolls game. I think it would be more appropriate to say that it's in the style of an Elder Scrolls game. I think a lot of people were expecting it to be more like Skyrim (myself and my brother included), so when you find out it's not, it leaves you feeling disappointed and frustrated. But, like I said, now that I have more of an idea of what it really is, I'm trying to see if I can still enjoy it for what it is.

I might need to play another weekend beta or two to decide. I don't have much to go off of right now and I don't think I can make an informed decision based on my current experience. But, I can at least say that I like it more than I thought I would, so it's a start.
Last edited by Rhyela on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Graphically. The game can be quite gorgeous. However. The questing often is SO FAR APART and it's really boring. The starting zone is dreary. Which to me doesn't enrapture you. Which of anything should have been the most important thing too hook someone on a game. I won't be buying it. Not paying $50 then $15 a month for something I cannot even get into when it's free. I must say. I didn't encounter a single bug this time. Which was nice. Hard to complete quests because there was so many people but no crashes or anything.
I did post a few screen shots.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

See, I don't mind the quests being so far apart. But I'm the type of player that likes exploring and wandering off in a given direction with no real..er...purpose? Point? Intent? Can't think of the right word. But for someone that constantly likes having objectives and things to do, I could see how it could be boring.

I've played Oblivion and Morrowind, and I have beaten neither game. Why? I spend all my time wandering off into the woods finding random things to do or kill. In those games, I have a very hard time sticking to the main quest line because I'd rather go fart around somewhere else.

However, that being said, it does seem like you only level up based off of quest experience. Your skills will gain levels, but your character will not gain xp by killing wolves and bears. And you can only buy new skills when you level up. So in that sense, it's quite unlike Skyrim where every skill you level up contributes to your character's overall experience. Basically, it forces you to do the quests (at least the main quest line, anyway) if you want experience. That doesn't bother me too much since I still do quests in Skyrim, but if you're the type of person that just wants to grind on crappy beasts, you can't.

Edit: And I agree, the starting zone is meh. Now that I've done it once or twice, I just fly through the conversations. Now it takes me about ten minutes to get through the first area. I think maybe - maybe - they meant for it to be a sort of tutorial? I think the real starting zone is after you leave Coldharbour. But yes, I agree that first impressions can make or break a game, and Coldharbour may very well break it for many people.
Last edited by Rhyela on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Yeah I did not like the starting zone. Like the point of those is to hook someone into the game. I know people are saying the old line of "it gets better later on! so just play a bit more" but really if someones not having fun at the start they wont play more of it to get to the "good parts" :S
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Rhyela wrote:I've played Oblivion and Morrowind, and I have beaten neither game. Why? I spend all my time wandering off into the woods finding random things to do or kill. In those games, I have a very hard time sticking to the main quest line because I'd rather go fart around somewhere else.
I've not played Oblivion or Morrowind. But that is the exact reason I've STILL not finished Skyrim. I'm too busy running around exploring. I have found so many things that way. To me, in this game, exploring doesn't seem to yield much. I mean. I find herb and ore but over all I've not encountered much in the way of hidden content. Which to me doesn't seem very Elder Scrolls-ish. That being said. I cannot say much since I've only played Skyrim. Which is a really tough act to follow.

But the issue for me with ESO is it doesn't seem like an MMO. At all. I could continue to try it. Going through all I can but my ADHD personality really doesn't allow for me to stick to the quest line on an MMO without getting extremely bored and so far exploring hasn't yielded much either. The over all package for me is the game is boring. Even 10 years of wow and I don't get bored yet one hour in this game and I'm kind of like :roll: . But .................. to each his own. It's not for me. Such a bummer too. Has such high hopes it being enjoyable to me.

But awesome you're enjoying it Rhy.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!