AHHHH! *freaks out* ELDERSCROLL BETA INVIIIIITES!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Re: AHHHH! *freaks out* ELDERSCROLL BETA INVIIIIITES!

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I played it on the weekend with a key I got from Curse. My impressions are that it is like Skyrim but the graphics are not as good. Even with the reduced graphics, I can't get as good framerates as in Skyrim. I was getting 25-32 max. I also think the combat controls are a bit clunky. The questing is very different from WoW's and less linear. The storyline is okay. There is a lot of running around while questing with your next objective sometimes being on the complete other side of the island. The graphics are not bad and the character models are nice with a huge amount of character customization available. Will I buy the standard edition for the $60 price? I doubt it very much. Would I pay the $15 monthly sub price? No way.

I don't see this game having much, if any, effect on the WoW player base. If it was F2P, then maybe, but not with a subscription fee. It would be very good as a single player game but I really didn't see any interesting MMO aspects. Nobody was even grouping up for anything and the chat was sometimes very hostile and not helpful at all.

(disclaimer) The above is strictly the opinions of the poster. Your mileage may vary :-)
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

My brother didn't have many good things to say about it. He played this most recent beta and said that the classes were one of the nails in the coffin. (He also said the bugs and lag were really bad, but those things can be worked out.) He said that you do get weapon swapping at level 15, but that it's not really enough. I guess they claimed that you can build your character any way you want, which led us to believe that it'd be like Skyrim. Well.....it's not. Sounds like if you want to be a healer, you HAVE to use a restoration staff, period. You can't be a healer with a sword and shield equipped because the healing abilities are only available on the staff. If you want to cast fire spells, you HAVE to have a fire staff equipped. So between the fact that you only get five abilities ('til level 15 when you weapon swap and get five other ones AT A TIME), one ultimate, and many abilities being tied to what weapon you're using, it's quite limited. He played a sorcerer and felt that the abilities were very lackluster and unimpressive. He said the world is beautiful, the customization is great and the lore is decent, but the bugs, lag and limited abilities were enough for him to get a refund on his preorders.

Granted, that is his opinion. I'm sure there are people out there that love the classes/spells/combat/etc. But for them to say that you can do anything you want, and then to limit you based on what weapon you're using, on top of only having five buttons to use, it's just.....meh.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I didn't even bother. I was really aggravated that my password had been changed WITHOUT my knowledge or inclination it had been changed. Then I couldn't even get into the game. I threw my hands up and just said forget it. I payed a lot in beta weekend before this one and became bored quite quickly. This game ...................... has no staying power. The lag and crashing were excessive. I understand it's beta but I mean really. I submitted bugs etc but after about 40 minutes in the last test I was really bored. I agree that Skyrim is still hands down more fun and enjoyable. :lol:

So far this game leaves me unimpressed. I won't be buying it. Certainly not paying a sub fee for it.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Danielfboone wrote:I played it on the weekend with a key I got from Curse. My impressions are that it is like Skyrim but the graphics are not as good. Even with the reduced graphics, I can't get as good framerates as in Skyrim. I was getting 25-32 max. I also think the combat controls are a bit clunky. The questing is very different from WoW's and less linear. The storyline is okay. There is a lot of running around while questing with your next objective sometimes being on the complete other side of the island. The graphics are not bad and the character models are nice with a huge amount of character customization available. Will I buy the standard edition for the $60 price? I doubt it very much. Would I pay the $15 monthly sub price? No way.

I don't see this game having much, if any, effect on the WoW player base. If it was F2P, then maybe, but not with a subscription fee. It would be very good as a single player game but I really didn't see any interesting MMO aspects. Nobody was even grouping up for anything and the chat was sometimes very hostile and not helpful at all.

(disclaimer) The above is strictly the opinions of the poster. Your mileage may vary :-)
It wasn't opinions, you were stating facts. (At least to me, or that my opinion shares with you).

I honestly deleted the game from my harddrive after about 20 minutes playing. I felt I was playing an Oblivion MMO from 2005.

I just can't do it. Sad though, I don't know how they will last as a subscription based MMO though. They I think should have followed the GW2 model or even shoot for something like how SWTOR / RIFT is doing it.

Oh well. I would have rather had a Skyrim 2. Or even original Skyrim but instead the Dragonborn is actually from Thalmor or something. Ehh
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yep, I'm also hoping that they didn't spend all their resources on this and not another single-player. I'm hoping that they have a "Skyrim 2", as you called it, or another similar title already in the works. :|

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The next one wont be "Skyrim" it'll be set in another part of the Elder scroll world and be named after that. I mean Skyrim is the 5th Elderscroll game so it would be weird if they made a "Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim 2" XD Bout time they went back to High Rock, have not been there since Daggerfall!
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

cowmuflage wrote:The next one wont be "Skyrim" it'll be set in another part of the Elder scroll world and be named after that. I mean Skyrim is the 5th Elderscroll game so it would be weird if they made a "Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim 2" XD Bout time they went back to High Rock, have not been there since Daggerfall!
I know it wouldn't be a Skyrim 2, but I would be more excited for Skyrim 2 over TESO
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

cowmuflage wrote:The next one wont be "Skyrim" it'll be set in another part of the Elder scroll world and be named after that. I mean Skyrim is the 5th Elderscroll game so it would be weird if they made a "Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim 2" XD Bout time they went back to High Rock, have not been there since Daggerfall!
Oh yeah, I realize that. I just don't know what else I'd call it so for now it's just "Skyrim 2". :lol:

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Fair enough :lol:

The pvp in this does look neat. I can see it being one side dominating in the long run.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

The first thing I thought was LAG BATTLE! I mean, that many people in that big of a city, all casting stuff and whatever...my poor PC would probably explode!

Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Unread post by Ardawen »

Hmm for the beta's keep in mind most of them where stress tests with way too many people on servers, they closed down quiet a lot to see how many people they could get online, i even think they put all the people on one server both euro and america's which will be different ones once the game comes out. I will try it out and will see.

Besides you can't compare a single player game to an mmo there are different rules for both.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Thank you, Ardawen XD
The lag didn't really bother me because I knew that was what we were on the game for. To stress the servers so they know what to fix and where it needs fixing before they release the game. I'm happy they had us stress the server instead of releasing the game without trying things out. It'll make things a lot easier.

And yes, Singleplayer games are MUCH different from MMOs :3

However, I respect everyone elses opinion. We'll see what happens when the game comes out :3

Siggy under construction!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well you can compare games from the same franchise, more so when the makers of the MMO have said they are trying to make it feel like a Elderscroll game. That's the reason they added in First person view. So you can compare them.

I mean that's the reason people are comparing them to each other. If it was not an Elderscroll game no one would be comparing it to a single player game.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Exactly, in one of the videos, they came right out and said that this is exactly what the title says, Elder Scrolls as an MMO. That's what they were aiming for, for people to feel like they are playing an Elder Scrolls game with friends. Merf.

But, as stated above, to each his/her own opinion! :)

Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Unread post by Ardawen »

would it not be pretty boring if we all thought the same about things :D
zedxrgal

It's cool they wanted to make an Elder Scrolls MMO. However. The game, at least to me and what I've seen, lacks quest wise etc what good MMO's have. The questing is extremely boring for one. The starting zone. Ugh. I'm sorry but I found it dreary and boring and not in a good immersion way. I'd rather trudge through the DK starting zone in WoW multiple times before doing that again.

I cannot speak of the most recent beta test and what classes etc were available if you started new but I've been really disappointed that not everything has been available for play and the game is set for release in early April. That's honestly not that far away.

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

I don't know how they will survive with a $15 subscription model. I hated that starting zone.

OH YOU START THE GAME ABOUT TO BE EXECUTED BUT THEN SOMETHING HAPPENS! wonder where we experienced that before...

Rhy - it did feel like a Elder Scrolls game... from 2003 :|
zedxrgal

Royi wrote:Rhy - it did feel like a Elder Scrolls game... from 2003 :|
*snerk*

I know that wasn't directed at me but that's hilarious.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

lol, Royi. :lol: Well, my first Elder Scrolls game was Oblivion, so admittedly I don't have as much experience with the series as other folks do. :)

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

zedxrgal wrote:
Royi wrote:Rhy - it did feel like a Elder Scrolls game... from 2003 :|
*snerk*

I know that wasn't directed at me but that's hilarious.
it was directed at you too, i put Rex in there because i think you had a character named Rexiah or something at one point. Or Zed. I can't remember - Meh i've been away from this forum quite a lot.

I just gave up like I did with this game. The quest grabbing seemed LOTRO ish - the fighting seem Everquest 1 ish -

Character creation was cool. But then my heroic Nord ended up looking like a crazy heroin addicted hobo.

It definately didn't feel like something from 2014, it felt old. Who knows maybe gameplay is quite fun. But then again I couldn't get past playing more than 15 minutes.

Rhy- my first Elder Scrolls game was Skyrim actually. Still this felt like I was watching a video of Oblivion.