36%

Total votes: 11

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Looking into other F2P MMOs

Unread post by pengupuff »

The inevitable lull between expansions has left me pretty bored of WoW. I also burned myself out on Minecraft, Pokemon, and a handful of other games, so I'm looking for something else to fill my time.

I decided I'd try out a free to play MMO (or one that only requires an initial purchase and isn't subscription based). I'm looking for something that is fun, doesn't have a steep learning curve, and that isn't pay-to-win. I don't mind paying for additional basic content (like extra levels or races) if I end up really getting into the game, I just don't want to have to pay for exclusive items or special buffs that give an obvious edge (for instance, any game that would make me pay for their equivalent to tier gear is out of the question).

There are a few I've been looking into, but obviously I don't want to shit up my PC by downloading a bunch of games one after the other, so I'd like to make a decision first. I'm looking for opinions on the following:
-Lord of the Rings Online
-Everquest II
-Aion
-Neverwinter

I was also considering GW2, but I don't think my computer could handle the gorgeous graphics so well.
Any suggestions not on my list are also more than welcomed.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Looking into other F2P MMOs

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum... if I mod could move it back to Other Games, I'd appreciate it.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Zhuge
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Kul'Tiras (EU)

Unread post by Zhuge »

Hiya hun!

Have you tried Rift? My WoW friends who got bored headed over to Rift and actually really enjoy it - they reckon it's got a fantastic community (someone told me it's a bit like WoW back in the old days!). I haven't tried any of the others, spent a few hours in Rift and really like what I did see :) So much so I'm gonna start playing some more when I get the time! It's pretty simple to get into, my Mom started playing with me and her experience of games = just Candy Crush on Facebook! Hope this helps ^_^

x

Click to enter my lair

Zakarya on Flight Rising

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i am not into pvp so i gave up on aion.. i got a silver account you can have if thats legal :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Zhuge, I haven't read up on Rift too much but it definitely sounds cool. I remember hearing a big about it when it first came out but not too much since. I'll check it out, hopefully my PC can handle it.

Tarnfalk, thanks a ton for offering to hand over your Aion account, that's really cool of you. I think I'd feel bad though if I took over... I know how sometimes I can go months (and even years) without playing a game before I suddenly get the urge to pick it back up, so I'll let you hold onto it in case you might want to check it out again in the future.

Check out my stable!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Just moved this thread from FR to Other Games :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Of the listed games, I've only played LotRO, which I loved. They put a lot of work into adding little fun things to the world and to all the annual festivals. I only stopped playing for personal reasons.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

LoTRO is my favorite of the ones listed. The mounts in that game just blow me away completely. They're so freaking BEAUTIFUL. there's so many of them too, it's kinda crazy.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

pengupuff wrote:Zhuge, I haven't read up on Rift too much but it definitely sounds cool. I remember hearing a big about it when it first came out but not too much since. I'll check it out, hopefully my PC can handle it.

Tarnfalk, thanks a ton for offering to hand over your Aion account, that's really cool of you. I think I'd feel bad though if I took over... I know how sometimes I can go months (and even years) without playing a game before I suddenly get the urge to pick it back up, so I'll let you hold onto it in case you might want to check it out again in the future.

I really dont mind.. i KNOW i wont return ti aion... so if its legal and i want it :D thats cool by me.. im throwing out the codes for the account soon cause really no thanks :D - you be doing me a favor really :D i got a lvl 50 (i think) chanter.. one of the best soloer... so just say the word and its yours... :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I also really like Rift, so I'll toss in my recommendation for that. The build-your-own-class thing might be tedious for some, but I really enjoyed it. They've also added a LOT of new things since its release, like housing and such. It's free, so no harm in giving it a whirl!

Edit: I've also played Aion and while I do like it, all realms are PvEvP, which means that you can be attacked at any time. I think the only exception might be the starter zones? So if PvP doesn't sound like your thing, you might want to take that into consideration. But overall, I did like it. :)
Last edited by Rhyela on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I liked City of Heroes but that got killed XD
Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Unread post by Ardawen »

I am trying out rift at the moment, i like the freedom you have with your characters, a bit less charmed from the needing to spend money to unlock some things, but they keep telling me i can use in game money for that as well.