Shelter

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Shelter

Unread post by Myrrmi »

It's not a new game, by any means, but it's really, really worth a try. And if you give it a try, you will finish it not knowing when, for it's short, very short, to short, and RIGHT IN THE FEELS :(

I've just learned about it yesterday, while reading a news about the upcomming Shelter2, and decided to give it a try. I've snatched it from GOG first thing after comming home (just 8 eur), and less than 2 hours later I was done, part of my heart broken, mourning my poor babies, but the other one oddly calm and reflective.

It's a badger simulator. Yup, you've read it right. You've a badger mom, taking care of 5 badger cubs. You need to keep them safe and away from danger while keeping them equally fed with the limited resources each level provides - and the calm, beautiful sceneries you'll be passing are all amazingly dangerous for helpless little furballs.

The game is gorgeous. It looks like a childrens book (and, at least GOG version, comes with a beutiful childrens book in PDF). The music is perfect, and the sound effects are really realistic. The padding of little feet, shuffling through leaves, omnios cry of an eagle from above as it spots you, growls of wolves lurking all around you in the dark... and the last shriek of your little ones, that will make you scream "NO~!!" with tears in your eyes every time you hear it.

Myself, I did terrible.
I've lost all my furrbals by the end of level 3 (of 5 available). First went Skunk*, snatched by an eagle at the end of level one. If he was just half a second faster... or rather if I started crossing that gap just half a second earlier :( Then I realised Split fainted from hunger - I was paying to much attention to criss-crossing from grasspatch to grasspatch with the hungry eagle circling above us that I've lost my sense of direction and ended up going in circles, and lost to much time - there was no food to be found around to bring her, and one of the remaining 3 has already started showing signs of progressing hunger, so I was forced to leave her behind - and the end of the level was just around the corner.
Next two, Stripe and Quake were both taken by the wolves. Forest at night, omnious and quiet... but only almost quiet. Suddenly a sharp crack of a branch breaking under a paw just from the side, cubs panicing, racing away from the sound, and me trying to race with them, to shelter them with my presence, and bring them back onto our path. It happened many times, and twice I wasn't good enough. A hungry growl, a terrified shriek...
Then I was left just with Junior. I've sworn to myself to protect him no matter what. I've fed him with everything I found, enough to feed five, and he grew to almost my size. My, I was so proud of him. But then we had to cross rivers with tidal waves going down them during heavy rains. We crossed carefully, hiding behind rocks to let the bigest of waves pass. But then I made a mistake, trying to hide behind a rock that wasn't big enogh for both of us, or I didn't pull him in far enough. One last mistake, one last life lost :(
I've continued on my own, just to see what's over there, but it just wasn't the same anymore. As if I had a hole in my heart. The next 2 levels are a forest fire and an autumnal forest, just if you'd like to know. When te game ended, I felt almost relieved :cry:
*these are just names I gave them, based on their back patterns, to make heads and tails of who I did feed and who'll be getting hungry soon. And who I've lost...

There is also a "nurture mode" where you have to explore and bring to your den food for the babies, which seem stationar, at least at the start. I haven't played it much yet, but it looks interesting.

Here is little something from Rock-Paper-Shorgun on it, if you'd like to learn more:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... k-shelter/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07 ... n-shelter/

BTW: in Shelter2 you'll be playing as a lynx. I'm not sure if I will be a good lynx mom, I terribly sucked at hunting as a badger :/

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Shelter

Unread post by Bowno »

Omg there's a Shelter2 on the way? AAAAAAAH
I -LOVED- Shelter! My heart was pounding the entire time. I managed to make it through with all my babies, but that was onyl because I had watched the Yogscast play through it and knew what to expect. Even so, it was amazing! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on here that has poked their nose into this game. (I need to actually buy it though. My brother managed to get a not so legal download for me and I'd rather support the makers instead of just stealing it :c )

If you like Shelter, you should try The Long Dark! I think it's made by the same people. If not, then it just looks really similar in the way of graphics. You're a human though trying to survive in the wilds of Canada after some apocalyptic nonsense. No zombies or monsters. Just you against the freezing cold, starvation and wolves that like to eat you. (The game is still in Alpha though so it's a bit.. wonky.)

Super excited to hear about Shelter2! I had no idea that it was going to be a thing! Thank you for the information :U

Siggy under construction!

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

I've read about the Long Dark, and it looks great. I'm sure to give it a try, but I'll wait untill a full release, or maybe even a bit longer, so they have time to patch out any bugs that migh have slipped in :)

I really like survival games, and lately I'm really into short-but-oh-so-memorable games, some people may call "walk simulators" :P Last one I've played was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and it was superb (and also Polish, so go there and play it, support Polish gaming industry :lol: ).
I think I'm just getting old... :P

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Huh, I might have to pick it up at some point. Sounds like it'd be super fun.

AND SUPER HEART BREAKING. >:(