Overwatch

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Overwatch

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

So what does everyone thinks of the new Blizzard IP they revealed at BlizzCon 2014?

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

I'm honestly both baffled and excited. When I was watching the cinematic trailer, I wasn't sure what to think of it. I mean, we're all used to the usual video style that Blizzard does, yet this one is in a completely different direction. At one point I was wondering if I was really watching a Blizzard video. :lol: But man I thought it was awesome, and I hope they do more in the future.

Then came the gameplay trailer, which I really didn't expect THAT soon. I'll admit I'm not a fan of shooters, yet this one looked so beautiful, it makes me want to try it at least. Maybe I'll like it, maybe not, but I won't dismiss it yet. Good thing is Metzen said they don't want a Deathmatch mode, since "it isn't fun when you get one shot by a knife thrown from across the map when you just come in." Can't agree more. 8-)

I think my biggest surprise was when, after showing all those high tech futuristic characters, Hanzo showed up, all Japanese samurai style, with a freaking bow and arrow! I was stumped in disbelief, thinking "....wait, what? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? There's robots, laser guns, flying mech suits, missiles, and he's in there wearing next to nothing, and he's an archer?!" Then he started running up a wall, defeated someone (can't remember who), then started running toward the screen and the scene shifted from a futuristic Egypt to an ancient Japanese temple ground. No, freaking, way! :shock:

I also really like the character design. It's refreshing to see the girls with normal sized breasts instead of watermelon ones. They're also pretty much more covered than other games. I admit some suits are skin tight, but they show so little skin, unlike games like Dead or Alive, or the likes. Heck, the character showing the most skin is Hanzo! :lol:

So what are your thoughts? Like, dislike, wait-and-see?
ImageImage
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Overwatch

Unread post by Rawr »

BF says its going to be just like TF :mrgreen:

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Yeah, it is a lot more like Team Fortress where you do have to use teamwork more than in games like Call of Duty where all you do is shoot people. They even said that those types of players where easily seen while trying out Overwatch since all they did was run and shoot, not using any of the heroes special skills and abilities. But unlike Team Fortress they said the special skills are character based instead of class based, so that does open up room for more characters to shine.
ImageImage
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I've never played TF but I'm excited for Overwatch. It's something kinda new and different and even though I'm terrible at FPS style games I'm still going to try it anyway. :) I loved the trailer and all the easter eggs they had referencing their other games. :3

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

It looks like a lot of fun! The Reaper character looks like EXACTLY my kind of playstyle- kind of like the Siren from the first Borderlands game, sneak in and destroy everything blitzkrieg style.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Yeah he does seem like a male Siren! Mixed with a bit of Gunzerker (or what ever that short dude from Borderlands 2 was)

I also see it's keeping up with the Blizzard tradition of cheesy fake English accents :p
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I would only play it if there were a single player mode. I used to play TF2 some but I was so bad in it that I gave up. Just like the first multiplayer shooter I tried years ago, Unreal Tournament, where I was pieces of meat 90% of the time.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I've never been very keen on shooters, but like others have said this one really looks great so I'll at least be giving it a try. Even if I don't end up playing it I absolutely love the character diversity, and I love how many females there are! It's an interesting style for Blizzard but it looks gorgeous and the environments alone make me want to play at least once so I can check them out.

It's hard to say if I'll get into the franchise much in terms of gameplay because again, shooters have just never been my thing and I find the genre boring to play for long periods of time. But it's hard to say because Blizzard always manages to put a unique spin on things and it might end up appealing to me after all. Either way, I'll just be in the secondhand fandom in regards to the characters anyways. :)
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

It looks like an absolutely gorgeous game! I love the art style and the characters, it just looked a lot of fun in general...

I'm just very disappointed in it being a pvp only game...too much to ask for a good single player story driven game these days it seems. (Which is a shame, cause I really wanted to play as Reinhardt lol).
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

cowmuflage wrote:Yeah he does seem like a male Siren! Mixed with a bit of Gunzerker (or what ever that short dude from Borderlands 2 was)

I also see it's keeping up with the Blizzard tradition of cheesy fake English accents :p
I admittedly thought she was Australian when I first saw the trailer. >_>

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Yeah he does seem like a male Siren! Mixed with a bit of Gunzerker (or what ever that short dude from Borderlands 2 was)

I admittedly thought she was Australian when I first saw the trailer. >_>
I can understand that. XD
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

My very first impression when I saw the vid was "did someone mess up and put a trailer for a new Pixar movie in here?" it honestly looks like it’s a clip from a kids movie. Everything looks so...soft...and bright....and optimistic. (Honestly the first thing I said when I saw it was “all their cheeks look so soft!" :lol:) I was really surprised to see that come out of Blizzard since its miles away from the tough, gritty, impending doom style they usually use.
Of course by the end of the trailer I found myself wishing I could hop online and try it out right then and there. They certainly make the characters likable and they seem to have a lot of personality for a first person shooter.
Then I saw the gameplay video and was taken by surprise yet again when I saw that the animated movie style artwork had made it into the game. Honestly it looked great. It works really well with the kind of vibe they are going for. I saw a few characters that I knew I would connect with right off the bat. Mostly the female sniper who kind of reminds me of Kerrigan and the reaper guy. (I’m not good at remembering names ok!?)
Also just as Shinryu said, i immediately took notice of how the females were dressed and how they acted. I am so glad they created some respectable, practical looking female characters who didn’t look like they were about to star in a lingerie commercial. I think they look great and I am SO happy to have the option to play a female character without feeling like her boobs are about to pop out of her costume.
as for FPS games themselves, I have never really played them or felt the need to play them. I do enjoy pvp though. if it costs money to play I will probably have to hold off on it, but if its free to play like hearthstone or I can sneak into beta and test it out before deciding on whether or not I want to buy the whole thing I can definitely see myself giving this a whirl in-between my weekly raids.

Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

lol winston.. the name.. we had a water dragon that lived in our pool, we named it winston.. now by the time i play that game.. ill be imagining the lizzard in a battle suit while playing this game XD

ive got a wild imagination XD

but the point i was trying to post before above is.. he looks like optimus primal in beastwars - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Pr ... l-mbtv.jpg