Ark: Survival Evolved

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Ark: Survival Evolved

Unread post by zedxrgal »

"Safe" meaning on their PVE server would I still have to worry about all my stuff /dinos getting nicked or the only safe way to not lose everything is a private server?

I have about 20 hrs left on the steam sale.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I'm still not sure what you mean, if I build a thatch house and a raptor comes by I'm most likely going to loose some stuff to the raptor. If I build a stone house I only have to worry about gigas, unless I build like on a cliff where they dont go. Server type doesn't matter to dinos, just people. :mrgreen:

zedxrgal

Ok. Um. :? So in the reviews almost every complaint is that people are putting tons of hours into the game only to be wiped out by a mega tribe. Mega tribe comes from another server, nicks all your stuff including dinos you capture and goes back to their server.
Does this happen on their PVE servers or?
I'm not worried about dinos wrecking stuff. I'd actually kind of expect that. But not some mega tribe from a completely different server coming over and wipes out my server and my stuff.

Make sense now?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I dont play on the dedicated servers so i dont know....I play with hubby om our own server. I can cheat so we get all engrams so we dont need a dedicated server.. so sadly cant answer your consern...

If you play on your own private server and click private match only the ppl you invite can be on your server

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

zedxrgal wrote:Ok. Um. :? So in the reviews almost every complaint is that people are putting tons of hours into the game only to be wiped out by a mega tribe. Mega tribe comes from another server, nicks all your stuff including dinos you capture and goes back to their server.
Does this happen on their PVE servers or?
I'm not worried about dinos wrecking stuff. I'd actually kind of expect that. But not some mega tribe from a completely different server coming over and wipes out my server and my stuff.

Make sense now?
No you don't have to worry about alpha tribes wrecking stuff on pve.

But the official pve servers can still be pretty toxic and overpopulated... people building ugly oversized structures everywhere, for example. I much preferred being on a more tight knit unofficial server with active and friendly communities and admins. You get to know people better, and it's just a much more enjoyable experience when there are a few rules enforced to prevent people from being trolls and bullies.

Official servers are extremely grindy as well (I'm talking hours upon hours to tame a larger dinosaur), whereas unofficial can have a variety of modifiers. Even something like 2-3x taming, harvesting etc. vs the default 1x speed can speed things up and tone down the grind considerably, while still having things take time and effort.

Plus, down the road if vanilla becomes boring, there are a ton of fun mods you could try out on some unofficial servers like dragons and such.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

The modifiers are super helpful. Set them to low to explore the game and then later you can increase the difficulty.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

zedxrgal

:hug:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Is anyone playing an unofficial server that's on pacific time or a couple hours ahead that would be willing to host me should I plunge in and buy it?

Edit: Tarn - I'm not ignoring your comments hun. But currently not sure creating my own server will be the best path yet since .................... it's just me. Know what I mean? I play games like this to hang with people I like and or make new friends. I prefer to start something vanilla but obviously not required especially if the mod /addon fixes instability in the game.

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

To be honest, ARK is always more fun with friends, but some people do like to run solo. There are more then enough great unofficial servers out there. Although the one I was playing on for a bit was PvP, there are many that are strictly PvE. Unofficial servers also do tend to have mods to add to the experience. Lupen and I used to play on the server that had tameable dragons. <3

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Zed I'm on a PvE server with like 8 ppl (mostly like 4) its Primitive+ with other mods, mostly for building:
Modding Enabler for Primitive+
Auto Torch
StacksOnly
Structures Plus
Builders Helmet
Cage Structures: Back to the Roots
eco RP Decorator
ecoTrees
Medieval Props
Natural Babies
Primitive Survival Equipment+
Reusable Plus
Scoopers Mod
Bore Water Kit
Smart Beetle
Super Spyglass
Homing Pigdeon
Builders Improvements
If you're interested in joining PM me. :mrgreen:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i know you were not ignoring me.. Im a hermit when it comes to games.. Only want to hang out with hubby so that makes me kind of a unique thing.. I like Mmorpgs... but i want to play them solo :P Ark is good for me because there are no humanoids in it and most of all it reminds me of a survival game and not a "MUST SHOOT AND KILL AND MURDER TO GET MY GEAR ARRGGGH" :P

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Aleu wrote:To be honest, ARK is always more fun with friends, but some people do like to run solo. There are more then enough great unofficial servers out there. Although the one I was playing on for a bit was PvP, there are many that are strictly PvE. Unofficial servers also do tend to have mods to add to the experience. Lupen and I used to play on the server that had tameable dragons. <3
Yeah, and I miss it :( but I still haven't fully gained my interest in Ark back. I just feel that even with the new dinosaurs and items that are being added, I've already experienced the gist of the game after putting in over 1000 hours... and they're not enough to get me to log in. Just a little burnt out I guess, and towards the end when everyone started quitting it got me bummed out as well. Though I did get a new computer and would like to try out Scorched earth eventually; will be nice playing at higher than 10 fps. xD

But I definitely agree that it's more fun with people. At least one person, like Tarn and her husband, vs being completely alone. I started out in single, then moved to the unofficial Aleu and I were on... and its a completely different experience. It's just nice being able to chat, or help each other with tames and breeding and such. Especially when some of the larger tames can be extremely difficult if not impossible to solo without using admin commands to force tame them. Quetzals, gigas, titanosaurs, squids, wyverns, mosasaurs, etc. are a lot easier and more fun with friends.

Even just seeing someone fly over head while working on your base, or out in the world taming something added a lot to the experience; just made it feel more alive if that makes sense.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

95 % of the times i just play alone on our server.. heh its rather grindy game but best non humanoid game i could find. The Lone Dark is still only solo

zedxrgal

You've a pm Rawr :hug:

Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

I saw dat, this is what happens when I sleep in till noon :lol: :mrgreen:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Can i disable hitting my own dinos when attacking?

Also i was out hunting with my bear beside me.. and i fell down a cliff... he did not join me and now i cant find him.. are there any "Come home to homebase NOW" command for dinos?

Also MAAAAN i wanna shoot the flying birds soo badly.. nice to fly but GOLLY they are annoying

zedxrgal

With any luck tonight I will actually get this game working. :| After 45 minutes of pure frustration and :evil: last night I just gave up, closed Steam and shut down my laptop. Once I got everything downloaded and installed I followed Rawr's pm-ed instructions to the letter but it would seem Ark just wanted to not play nice. or ................................ not play at all. It would start downloading the mods /addons for the server and then I'd get bright red pop up box that said it timed out. It for some reason would not refresh. I could not locate the server either. I finally thew in the towel and will muck with it again tonight.
NOT a good first showing for Ark already.
Just getting it installed became a hassle and buggy. I also could not "Favorite" the server Rawr had invited me to.

Of note. As soon as I logged into steam Ark had a huge ass update. That ate up about 10 minutes in of itself. But at least I got the bundle before the sale ended so if I don't keep the game or don't play it it's not too huge a financial loss. Frankly I am still not sure why they're charging money for such an unstable /buggy game.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Sorry to hear you are having troubles der... the installing was bug free for meget.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

You might need to let the game download the mods fully before attempting to join the server.

When you first launch the game and you're on the start up screen, is there some small white text in the bottom right corner that says something along the lines of "installing... <mod name>"? (It's been a very long time since I've played lol.)

If so I'd just try letting the game sit on the start up screen till that's all finished. Also if you add Rawr as a friend on steam you should also have an easier time finding their server, by picking friends for the server filter.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

zedxrgal

Ok so I was able to actually get two screen shots to kind of hopefully show whats going on.
I have to launch the game, "join" the server then wait for it to basically boot me out of the game before it will start the mod downloads.

It will then show downloading progress:

And then this:

WTH am I doing wrong? I cannot seem to get ANYTHING to download without launching the game then it times out and the downloads will not restart.

Help?

Rawr - Pm your steam id?? I'm Zedxrgal on there too if anyone wants to add me.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I wish i could help you zed... but none of that looks familiar to me as i am the server hostess.. and husband has yet to come in and play with me .. hope you figure it out though!