Ark: Survival Evolved

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Ark: Survival Evolved

Unread post by Ana »

my ark takes up around 95gb.. its the only game on my computer.. soo much space taking its not even fun-...

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Looks like I wont be reinstalling ARK any time soon to try again if it's having that much trouble.
On the bright side, SAURIAN apparently has an early release date set for July 31st!
Excited for dinosaur shenanigans.
Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwU_1LvpnIM

SAURIAN for those curious: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... experience

Siggy under construction!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh i can turn the blood off in ark... Saurian looks to be even bloodier than ark.. so sadly not for me... plus i REALLY like building in ark.. not sure if a dino would be able to build anything :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I could have sworn I've heard /seen Saurian before. *ponders*

Whelp. This is upsetting. I just installed the game fresh on Wednesday on the new laptop and look at how much space.
Shit. WoW takes up only 38GB. Yeah I don't know what they're thinking. All I can say is they better figure it out before full release. Otherwise the game is going to tank. I'm not suspecting too many people are going to pay for & keep a game using up that much storage space.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

This is more a Steam issue than anything I think. Reinstalled the game, now I can't redownload Prim+ and Ragnarok because it says they're in the library already.... but they're NOT, because you know.. uninstalled the game and cleared the folders. *sigh* Nothing is easy with this game. ARK is downloading something right now so I'm not sure if I tricked it into downloading Prim+ or not. I think it's just updates....
zedxrgal

I had a little peewee update when I first logged into steam about 20 minutes ago so maybe that's it?
But still. 100GB?!?!?!?? Not one single steam game I have is even remotely that large. Seems like people are saying it's the way Wild Card does the updates. Something about it not replacing the files just making new ones. Which if that's the case no matter what you do it's going to take up more space with every update.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Nothing is easy with this game.
this.. soo much this... they could have made it soo simple. Its a brilliant game but come on.. the simple functions like play together on LAN is SOOOO complicated that you have to get your own server???

Why not make it like diablo where you can play through tcp/ip adress? make it simple to play the game

and yeah the sheer size of it is going to make it tank.. they need to downsize it SO badly

im tempted not to play until august.... but probably will pop in once in a while.. but its soo silly that it takes soo much space and ram to run

zedxrgal

Complaint after complaint of folks saying the game went from around 40GB to well over 90 in one or two patches so that backs the story about the way the files are saved from updates and makes sense.
Then I saw this:
so if you have mods at all they double install, once in the mod folder then in the temp folder as well.

This is probably the 15th-20th comment by someone saying the same thing. Prim Plus total conversion IS a mod. It's just a mod ran /owned by Wild Card. So it really makes me wonder if I removed Prim Plus total conversion if it would reduce the file size at all. Course that'd mean a full reinstall, unsubscribe from the mods etc. I may look into it more.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ragnarok is a mod as well i think?...that does not bode well...

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Ok, got everything but The Center reinstalled. I sit at 79.1GB now. Game is up to date and I'm logging in Prim14 now.

So yeah.. they seriously need to fix their patch/updates. That is ridiculous. It's bad when it was taking up the same amount of space as 5 games, one of which (Witcher 3) is a vast open world game with beautiful graphics and capable of 4k resolution play. So again, how is ARK even close to that in graphics? It's not. Sorry. Different engines, yeah yeah. I don't even want to hear the excuse that games now-a-days are getting bigger and just buy a new HD. It is DOUBLE THE AMOUNT of any game I have on my system, but is beat by their quality hands down.
zedxrgal

Well I totally fibbed. My tester server was wiped & put back on the center map. After over an hour on the Rag server not one hiccup. Get on the Center server & play for maybe 45 minutes and BAM. Lost connect to host. I just cannot figure out WTF the problem is.
Regardless. I am giving my center server one last shot to dazzle me before I switch it back to the Island permanently.

Has anyone noticed a bug map at all? On my servers there USED to be a like thumbtack showing me where I was. That is no longer there. Not sure if it's a bug or not.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Zed - they have hid it somewhere new.. i remember asking about it on steam.. but cant remember where i found it.. searching on my username did not give any result either...its hidden somewhere tricky...

Seilahyn - i totally agree.. there is NO excuse for the game taking on that amount of space! its super silly... its nowhere near the graphic on some of the other games i used to play

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

This is my temporary home on Ragnarok. It's just way too dangerous to build outside. Just exploring around the area I found three Giga and four Allo packs. Do NOT start in the NE part with the sprawling fields. I've managed to avoid death to the predators, but I froze to death one night with TWO FIRES and my torch going. I was spam eating to recover health, too. It's a bit ridiculous. Not to mention there is barely anything to kill for meat and hide, and if you hunt along the beach for the few dodos you can kill as a newbie.. you'll get your meat stolen by those freaking pegobirds... There seem to be a lot of sheep.. but I'm not sure how well they respawn. I'd hate to waste them. I'm use to the rare spawn rate on Island. >>;

Anywho, I found a water fall nearby that had a big open cave behind it. It has some metal spawns, so I tried to build so I wouldn't stop them.

Just behind the waterfall I have my gate.

Further inside is my little stone house off to the side.
Attachments
TempHome01.jpg
TempHome01.jpg (887.91 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
TempHome02.jpg
TempHome02.jpg (824.34 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
TempHome03.jpg
TempHome03.jpg (628.94 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I know that cave! plenty of metal and there are pearls in the water in there Seila. good for a temporary home :D

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Really? Where? There are no fish or anything in the water. I've only seen a metal node at the bottom. Do you just pick them up like sticks or? Maybe I didn't look close enough.

I forgot I had my horse on follow and she jumped in behind me and swam down to me. I always thought they'd steady at the surface. Totally didn't expect an aquatic horse. I can't call her a sea horse because it's a little cave pond.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Last time i was in there they were just in the middle of the pond and some of the sides. there were around 4 places you could collect them.. wait until nigth and you can easily see them as they glow :D You just pick them up with e when you see the shiny thing...

just unistalled ark and steam.. trying again to see if it works better... have to start all over for the umptheem time but husband is going on a 5 days "vacation" with his dad so i got time to build stuff while he is away

zedxrgal

I guess it's a good thing I enabled cave building. :lol: Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to build inside. You should be able to fly in there too since I believe cave flying is also enabled. I can look though.

Tarn - I hope it works better for you. I am not going to remove anything at this point. I'm not hurting for drive space in any way so.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

i dont got so much room .. got a cheap computer heh. Will first start playing a bit thursday i think.. i wont be building a lot because i hope the things in August will do something about the space Ark takes up

zedxrgal

IMPORTANT NOTICE IF YOU'RE ON MY SERVERS!

Due to the severe disconnect issue with the host they are porting them to a brand new node. AKA new IP address /port etc. The servers will be down AT LEAST one hour starting from 15:25 pm pacific time.
Progress shouldn't be lost. I backed everything up just in case anyway.
Servers are offiline for play. Sorry.

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Well, the changes still make it pretty ridiculous to raise babies unless you want to play for 12 hours+, or wake up to log in, or not have a job. Went to bed after stocking 2 troughs full and packing as much meat as I could on my Allo babies. They starved while I slept.

Not to mention a whole bunch of other things I found out or was told. Tamed dinos have a max level based on what level they were wild. Basically they can only gain like 60ish levels or something. So you find your perfect color... it's level 5... from what I was told it will max around 70 somewhere. (This explains why Thanatos seems to have stalled out at 70, gaining exp at a much lower rate than others).

When breeding, the current level means nothing. It goes off their level when tamed. I bred my 70 male with two higher level females and got 30, 30, 26. He was level 5 when tamed, one female was 25 I think? The other I didn't tame.

So what's the point of taming low levels then? Why can't you put the effort into maxing them out if you want? Instead of just going and finding one already leveled... this seems like such an ass backwards system.

If I take time and effort to level one, putting stats where I want, I should be able to breed them at that level/stats. Effort=reward, right? Where's the effort part of taming a 150(max) other than knocking it out and waiting?

So there is no point in breeding for me. I want the colors, but I don't want to sit there for 12 or more hours constantly refilling troughs. Not to mention, they will be low level because I tamed low levels. I could just level them, but they can't max out... so what's the point?

Edit:
My god... the amount of Fatal Error crashes I've been getting on login and just in general lately are out of this world, and they want to come out of "early access" next month?