Difficult bosses that faction tap (design conflict?)

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Difficult bosses that faction tap (design conflict?)

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Welp if it turns out to be a big pain in the bottom they'll nerf it in a patch or two I'd think.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Slickrock wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:No, she never said anything of the sort, re-read her posts slick. No mention of making this a "LFR difficulty or lower" boss. She never said that "everyone should have an equal chance to down him" you did. She just said that world boss should be for everyone.

Higher geared/better organised groups should have a "Higher" "chance" at beating a world boss. But if you have average gear you should have an average chance to succeed, etc. But no one has “higher” chance with this mechanic, it’s very clear.
That applies to LFR as well. If you are going to make something accessible to everyone, then going toward LFR difficulty is where it needs to go, which is exactly what Blizz has done with LFR raiding. But even without the 'LFR" term, an accessible raid boss can't be more difficult that what Sha is now.

But we also aren't talking about a world boss that's in the middle of the everyday content.

Oondasta is sitting on an island that's basically designed for him alone and hunter pets. There's no other reason to go out there. It's also clear from the Blues that the intention is to make it crazy hard. Might it be too hard? Will have to wait and see.

But I think everyone forgets how hard the old world dragon bosses were, and even Doom Lord Kazzak. One stupid move on him could wipe a raid as well.
Well that and there there's the fact that even LFR has an Ilvl Requirement, and these World Bosses dont.

Also the Dino island is more than just hunter pets and this boss. They may be the only things that interest you, but there are many other things to do for others.

Those dragons... good memories, and lets not forget back in vanilla how we had mana, 3 shots in our rotation and had to FD out of combat to lay traps, oh and could one shot people with aimed shot (Though that was kinda fun :mrgreen: )
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

cowmuflage wrote:Welp if it turns out to be a big pain in the bottom they'll nerf it in a patch or two I'd think.

Yeah, Thats my guess to Cows. ;)

I say let people try it for a while and see how they fair on live severs. Who knows, people might find out a work around, some might just give up. But if it all end up being too hard, they will probably give it some light nerf taps till they are happy with its difficulty and it's accessibility to the general community.

­
­
­
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Spiritbinder wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Welp if it turns out to be a big pain in the bottom they'll nerf it in a patch or two I'd think.

I say let people try it for a while and see how they fair on live severs. Who knows, people might find out a work around, some might just give up. But if it all end up being too hard, they will probably give it some light nerf taps till they are happy with its difficulty and it's accessibility to the general community.
Probably what will happen, since a lot of people don't actually read patch notes or have any clue what's going on (*gasp*).

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Spiritbinder wrote:[Also the Dino island is more than just hunter pets and this boss. They may be the only things that interest you, but there are many other things to do for others.
Yes, there are some other things out there, but, the point is it's not the primary quest zone. So people won't be running into him while doing dailies.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Kalliope wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:

Probably what will happen, since a lot of people don't actually read patch notes or have any clue what's going on (*gasp*).
One other reason I'd support that... according to WoWhead, his loot is all ilvl 522, which is the normal raid ilvl, not that of a super-crazy-hard world boss.. :lol:
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Slickrock wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:[Also the Dino island is more than just hunter pets and this boss. They may be the only things that interest you, but there are many other things to do for others.
Yes, there are some other things out there, but, the point is it's not the primary quest zone. So people won't be running into him while doing dailies.
True it is not a "primary" questing zone, but then the other world bosses were not really in daily zones that required you to run into them.

Galleon spawned only at the one place down south, and you could easily do all the tillers and not know he was up... (that’s if you missed all the /1 and /2 in most of Pandaria with people saying he was up :lol: )

As for Sha, it was only ever in the zone of dallies if you had "White Tiger Temple" from celestials... and that was a 1 in 4 chance and located further north than most of his spawns.

Also if you were primary questing in these areas, good chance is you would not have the lvl or gear to attempt these anyway.

I guess your point your trying to make is that other people won't try to tag the boss because they won’t be in the zone and then this ability won’t be an issue? From what we've seen, it will just take one person to wipe a raid, and chances are there will always be 'someone" in the area, It will be the newest content after all.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

­
­
­
Slickrock

So... despite all the angst here...

Did Oondasta yesterday. He went down surprisingly fast. I don't know how many bodies we threw at him, but enough stayed alive to keep the tag active, and I only had time for 2 corpse runs from the GY. So, super-hard-core? not quite so much.

You aren't gonna do him with 40 players, but if people just run back, and spread out, or spread out in small clumps, he's doable.

Oh.. gold/gold. Pfft....
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Well it took an hour for 120 people from my sever to kill him. I stood and watch.

Things are easier when everyone from the whole god damn sever just throws their bodies at em and hope for loot to drop before their feet.
Slickrock

Qinni wrote:Well it took an hour for 120 people from my sever to kill him. I stood and watch.
Was that the AIE run? I heard about that. I seemed to hear that they weren't spreading out enough. Or perhaps it was gear level, or both.

Supposedly the best way is to kite him over the edge of the cliff, so he's on top of the GY, so everyone instant spawns back into the fight.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:

Pfft. Who reads patch notes? We don't need no stinkin patch notes! XD

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine