Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by Holgarr »

Myzou wrote:Exactly. If it were just exotic, it would say as such, IMO. They wouldn't phrase it in a secretive way.
I suspect part of the reason they're being ambiguous about it is the same reason they did the fiddling around with the Warlock felfire quest and ultimately pushed it back to 5.2 - they're planning something special and haven't quite decided what to do with it yet.
Image Image
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

They're doing it for interest and "RP" kind of reasons.

Which is more interesting? - "added new exotic pet family - Dire Horn"
or "Dire Horns have been added as a tameable species for Hunters that have learned the required skill. Aspiring Dire Horn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts."

Exotic or not, it's more fascinating that way.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

And again, you guys are just jumping to conclusion. I've seen people pushing it as fact that they're just an exotic you have to track. Not in this thread, but I have no doubts it's because people saw this thread.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Personally, I don't care if its exotic or not, I'll raid with the spec that let's me use him. I did the same thing in WotLK back when Devilsaurs were introduced. I finally tamed King Krush when Ulduar was current, and I immediately switched from raiding as survival to BM. No duel spec back then either, so I did sacrifice a bit of dps to bring my big green Dino with me.

As a result my initial dps dropped, but it was then I focused more on pre-potting/potting with cds, timed CDs better, and dropped skinning for engineering so I'd have 2 crafting professions to maximize output. Ultimately, he sacrifice I made to keep my Dino made me a better player.

Same will hold true with the dire horn. Up till now the beast I wanted most was a mushan because he had he clumsy stature of the rhino, but was a dinosaur(ish)! The intro of his new mob blows my mind away and it being my favorite dinosaur will earn one a permanent spot at my side.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jangalian »

Equeon wrote:Personally, I think it will be one or more of the following:

1. Exotic.
2. Require a special ability, or perhaps reputation with a certain group, to tame it.
3. It will have to be tracked like the other pets.
4. It will have a unique challenge in order to tame it.

It is now that my inner dinosaur nerd must point something out.
Triceratops have three horns, like the Dire Horns.

However, they don't have the fancy looking frill-horns... that would be more like styracosaurus.
I'm sure there's some real life dinosaur that is a combination of these two, I just don't know what.

*raises hand* I got this figured out. It's a torosaurus. Well, mostly. It's got the Ankylosaurus clubbed tail and back armor plating typicial of the family genus, and styracosaurus frills, but the head is alllll torosaurus. They estimated that triceratops/torosaurus had a quilled back, not like a porcupine, but with primitive feather spines. No clue what for yet.

Ankylosaurus

Reconstructed modern triceratops

Torosaurus battle scene
Last edited by Jangalian on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

I'm just gonna make a short little return and post this here:
http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=137798
The pet ability appears to already exist, and it's kinda like deterrance.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The ability name says reflect, but the description says deflect... those are two very different words, at least mechanically in wow.

If it reflects, then it may be like Warrior's spell reflect (on a pet?)

If its deflect, yeah likely like Deterrence. Curious concept for a pet.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

It's possible that the name of the ability is a placeholder, but we'll just have to wait and see if any changes come around.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

New skin potentially available for this wondrous family, thanks to Crotalus Horridus' video:

Looks like a Mogu experiment of a Dire Horn!
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I wonder if Dire Horns will be added to places like Un'Goro Crater, would make places filled with Archosaurs even more spectacular.

Also, I vote that later on they add more variation of these animals. I'm hoping for things like these guys:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/ ... o_King.jpg (This one is posted as a simple link due to size of the actual picture.)

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I have a feeling these may be the first hunter pets that require an exhualted reputation to tame. It would make sense with the new daily questing hub and all.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

The stone /mogu mutated one.... /want!

As for the skill, I would bet it'll be simmilar to the Cloud Serpents riding. After hitting a rep or finishing a chain we'll earn a passive, that would let us tame those. The 'having your eyes open for clues' part makes me think more about a quest chain, though, during which we learn the habits of the species and how to track them.
Ah, hope... :)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

Jangalian wrote:*raises hand* I got this figured out. It's a torosaurus. Well, mostly. It's got the Ankylosaurus clubbed tail and back armor plating typicial of the family genus, and styracosaurus frills, but the head is alllll torosaurus. They estimated that triceratops/torosaurus had a quilled back, not like a porcupine, but with primitive feather spines. No clue what for yet.
WRONG.

It's Armadon from Primal Rage.

:lol:
Snowy
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Snowy »

I don't wanna be a spoil sport here, but who said the Dire Horns are going to be triceratops? Fair enough, it was my first thought as well, but I've seen nothing official confirming it.
I do hope they are triceratops but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and be disappointed or something.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

There's just little else they could be. The only new beasts that appear among the current models are the ceratopes. There are new devilsaurs, a spirit porcupine, a thunder beaver, the wild-looking phoenixes... and the ceratopes. Out of all those things, dire horns could be only them, unless their model is not yet in PTR files.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that's what they are. :D

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

be funny if to tame them you had to ride them like a Bull or a wild horse.but if they are not those pets then they better be something cool.my heart is already saddened by a porcupine.don't get me wrong but i am not a huge fan of the porqupines.

also another intresting place to put them is in sholazar basin.picture walking into basin and King krush is haveing an Epic battle with one of the Dire horns.or my king krush is haveing a fight in the stables while my raptor rainbow is just in the back chilling.

cheers to hopeing.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There's always the possibility they'll lump a few different groups of big lizardy things with horns into the same new family. It almost certainly has to contain the ceratopsians... the coincidence is otherwise too huge. But maybe it also contains things like kodos. Who knows? :)

Kalli also previously suggested stegodons / thunder lizards. I forgot they had horns on their noses as well as the plates on their backs.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

It'd be awesome if Iguanodon's were counted. I know they dont have horns, but they have thumb spikes! Hey! It could work. :lol:

leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

The clues are going to be "crushed wildlife" lol. Like a squashed squirrel or something :-)