Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by pop »

I like the usage of the term 'Dire Horn'. This brings the possibility of several type of beast that doesn't look like Triceratops to be tamable.

I find their skills of deflecting spells requiring a bit of micro management and very circumstantial though.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

Wain wrote:There's always the possibility they'll lump a few different groups of big lizardy things with horns into the same new family. It almost certainly has to contain the ceratopsians... the coincidence is otherwise too huge. But maybe it also contains things like kodos. Who knows? :)

Kalli also previously suggested stegodons / thunder lizards. I forgot they had horns on their noses as well as the plates on their backs.
AGAIN! why do i feel as tho Wain knows something i don't here....I don't like this feeling but at the same time its gets me amped! guess i'll have to wait till early january!
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

*dies* They're SO. AMAZING. LOOKING.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Zangor wrote:
Wain wrote:There's always the possibility they'll lump a few different groups of big lizardy things with horns into the same new family. It almost certainly has to contain the ceratopsians... the coincidence is otherwise too huge. But maybe it also contains things like kodos. Who knows? :)
Kalli also previously suggested stegodons / thunder lizards. I forgot they had horns on their noses as well as the plates on their backs.
AGAIN! why do i feel as tho Wain knows something i don't here....I don't like this feeling but at the same time its gets me amped! guess i'll have to wait till early january!
I know nothing :) They were a *complete* shock to me and I'm speculating as much as everyone else is. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Wain wrote:
Zangor wrote:
I know nothing :) They were a *complete* shock to me and I'm speculating as much as everyone else is. :)
Lets hope you are right about this, I'd be overjoyed if they did that.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

They would definitely fill out the family. :)

And I am tentatively going to keep an eye on mushan as well; their fins have curved spikes, which could be considered as thin horns....from a certain point of view. A pity that the old diemetradons are a little bit too far of a stretch to "count" in a "please consider this close enough" sort of way. ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Kalliope wrote:

They would definitely fill out the family. :)

And I am tentatively going to keep an eye on mushan as well; their fins have curved spikes, which could be considered as thin horns....from a certain point of view. A pity that the old diemetradons are a little bit too far of a stretch to "count" in a "please consider this close enough" sort of way. ;)
*duct tapes a horn onto a mushan snout*
There, they can totally join.
>_>

In all seriousness it would be fantastic to see this new family diversified with a few different forms. Can't wait to see what we get. :)
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

I guess i'm one of the few that is not really "amped" about this. I never cared much for the devilsaurs and I just don't picture a dino as something i would want fighting next to me. They just don't fit the flavor I feel when I think about pets. Anyway, not downplaying anybody else's excitement. Glad you all are so excited. It will be nice to have something new to say the least, but I'm just not that stoked about it. Honestly, my wish list was really simple. I just wanted to be able to tame one of those bamboo boas in Jade Forest. It was a simple as that :-)
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

well if its going by horns.....some one put a horn on that hydra.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Snowy wrote:I don't wanna be a spoil sport here, but who said the Dire Horns are going to be triceratops? Fair enough, it was my first thought as well, but I've seen nothing official confirming it.
I do hope they are triceratops but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and be disappointed or something.
I gotta agree here. I love both the Triceratops and Pterodactyls and would like to have them both as pets, but 5.2 hasn't even hit PTRs yet. What if Dire Horns are beasts that will be implemented later and there's only an artistic concept for them and not a model?

It's possible, so be cautious, please. :]
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Reading the spell effect, it sounds a lot like what the adds on Sha of Fear do, and also the Yangoul at one camp do called Stewart defender. Negates attacks from the front, but vulnerable to rear attacks. I don't think it'll work as a reflect from what it says, and it's channeled. Also begs the question if it'll be self, or if others can stand behind it to defend from aoe abilities like halo. Could be an interesting skill.

It also sounds to me like it would be a click to use effect, leading one to suspect he's exotic. The other possibility is that it's an effect that activates at <50% like shell shield or spirit mend.

Furthermore, i feel that the spell solidifies the Dire Horns as the ceratopsian beasts shown in the preview models as all members of that suborder have that armored shield on their heads used to protect from frontal assaults. This would likely dash the chances of mushan, stegodans etc from being lumped with this group since the spell effect would t make sense for them.

All observation though, not trying to stomp anyone's hopes.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Honestly, I'd jump on the "don't jump to conclusion" bandwagon too, but as swim pointed out, the Dire Horn ability ONLY fits the Triceratops model. There's no other models in the game files that have any type of body part that could even indicate that they could deflect spells from the front. Whereas, the Triceratops are quite armored on the head.
Last edited by Maizou on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=137798
You mean this ability?
I don't like the word "spells" in it's description. Anyway, it seems like a nice addition to my soloing pet crew is comming :)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

As someone on wowhead pointed out:

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=136865

Same exact spell, one difference.

It specifically states Triceratops. To me, that tells me that's the ability when wild ones use it, but Dire Horns are going to be the tamed ones (probably to keep it open for the future to use something other than Triceratops. Similar to how Birds of Prey aren't called Vultures or Hawks, etc.). If anything, to me, that's confirmation the triceratops are the dire horns. Others may disagree, but to me, it's proof.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I didn't see that spell before. That does look like it might be proof but I'm not 100% settled until it's officially confirmed.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Zaizo
Realm: Turalyon

Unread post by Zaizo »

Myzou wrote:As someone on wowhead pointed out:

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=136865

Same exact spell, one difference.

It specifically states Triceratops. To me, that tells me that's the ability when wild ones use it, but Dire Horns are going to be the tamed ones (probably to keep it open for the future to use something other than Triceratops. Similar to how Birds of Prey aren't called Vultures or Hawks, etc.). If anything, to me, that's confirmation the triceratops are the dire horns. Others may disagree, but to me, it's proof.
yeah I went through every uncategorized spell and found it I just hope 1 dino means they will make the ones from Vanilla tameable
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

Personally, I'm thinking that the deflection ability is going to be their special exotic skill. I'm hoping that they'll bring the bear/carrion bird physical damage debuff as well. :D
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'm personally hoping it's more along the lines of a raid-useful buff, as I predict a lot of hunters will be dragging them into raids anyways due to new-shiny-itis. Less headaches all around if they bring something useful to a group to the table.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

snypz25
Realm: aggramar

Unread post by snypz25 »

What if the direhorns are a tamable mount? Back in pre cata there was a blue post about tamable mounts. Or not, just food for thought.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

tallbuk and Stag also got horns! not on the nose but,,,it haz hornz!
Oh and so does the zhewra?....name. the zebra thing!

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so