Dire Horns?

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: Dire Horns?

Unread post by Equeon »

That's most likely the raid boss, Horridon. But I'm sure we'll be able to tame the unarmored version!!

I'll probably tame the orange or red one.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Equeon wrote:That's most likely the raid boss, Horridon. But I'm sure we'll be able to tame the unarmored version!!

I'll probably tame the orange or red one.
yup most likely but one can never give up hope XD
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Myzou wrote:
Ziarre wrote:The patch note seems to imply Exotic, as well.
I don't see it as such.

I see it as we'll probably have to do a quest to acquire something like "Dire Horn Bond" or something, enabling us to tame them.

I doubt they'd make a hunter quest pet only available to one spec. That'd be like making green destruction only, when they're not the only ones who use fire.
My interpretation:

Dire Horns have been added as a tameable species for Hunters that have learned the required skill[1]. Aspiring Dire Horn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts[2].

1. Dire Horns have been added as a tameable species for Hunters that have learned the required skill.
That mean bm's exotic pet skill

2.Aspiring Dire Horn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts.
That mean we need to track it down like the rest of Pandarian rares.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Personally, I think it will be one or more of the following:

1. Exotic.
2. Require a special ability, or perhaps reputation with a certain group, to tame it.
3. It will have to be tracked like the other pets.
4. It will have a unique challenge in order to tame it.

It is now that my inner dinosaur nerd must point something out.
Triceratops have three horns, like the Dire Horns.

However, they don't have the fancy looking frill-horns... that would be more like styracosaurus.
I'm sure there's some real life dinosaur that is a combination of these two, I just don't know what.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

pop wrote:
Myzou wrote:
Ziarre wrote:The patch note seems to imply Exotic, as well.
I don't see it as such.

I see it as we'll probably have to do a quest to acquire something like "Dire Horn Bond" or something, enabling us to tame them.

I doubt they'd make a hunter quest pet only available to one spec. That'd be like making green destruction only, when they're not the only ones who use fire.
My interpretation:

Dire Horns have been added as a tameable species for Hunters that have learned the required skill[1]. Aspiring Dire Horn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts[2].

1. Dire Horns have been added as a tameable species for Hunters that have learned the required skill.
That mean bm's exotic pet skill

2.Aspiring Dire Horn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts.
That mean we need to track it down like the rest of Pandarian rares.
Agreed... until we hear otherwise, this would be a safe assumption.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Equeon wrote:Personally, I think it will be one or more of the following:

1. Exotic.
2. Require a special ability, or perhaps reputation with a certain group, to tame it.
3. It will have to be tracked like the other pets.
4. It will have a unique challenge in order to tame it.

It is now that my inner dinosaur nerd must point something out.
Triceratops have three horns, like the Dire Horns.

However, they don't have the fancy looking frill-horns... that would be more like styracosaurus.
I'm sure there's some real life dinosaur that is a combination of these two, I just don't know what.
For that matter, Tri didn't have the tail spikes either, but hey, a more effective pet is a winner.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Oswen wrote:This sounds awesome!

...but that means i'll have to sort out my stable slots AGAIN! /cry
This basically sums this whole thing up in a nutshell for me as well.

Like others, the triceratops is my favorite dinosaur. Ever.

I have been increasingly aware of the limitations of my stable since last night and....well....now that I've seen the orange one, I can tell I'm going to have to make room. Unless of course there isn't an unarmored one, in which case things will become even harder...but I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

Sigh. So happy and so heartbroken at the same time.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Slickrock

Kalliope wrote:
Oswen wrote:This sounds awesome!

...but that means i'll have to sort out my stable slots AGAIN! /cry
This basically sums this whole thing up in a nutshell for me as well.

Like others, the triceratops is my favorite dinosaur. Ever.

I have been increasingly aware of the limitations of my stable since last night and....well....now that I've seen the orange one, I can tell I'm going to have to make room. Unless of course there isn't an unarmored one, in which case things will become even harder...but I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

Sigh. So happy and so heartbroken at the same time.
The worst thing is that now with CRZ and special-effect pets that aren't tameable anymore it's harder or impossible to say "I'll go tame it again later..."

I'll probably have to start by removing all PVP talented pets from my stables (disarms, etc).
Solunerra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Terokkar

Unread post by Solunerra »

I am liking the Look here. I will have to get on for my goblin BM hunter. Also did any one see the new Devilsaurs? There is an armored and unarmored ones. I asume the armor one is the new outdoor raid boss The Devilsaur Lord. But the one with out armor might be a new skin for devilsaurs ^_^.

Now just waiting on hydras......
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

To me, I think Dire Horns are gonna be Exotic too. Just the name makes it sound Exotic. There should be more Exotic pets! I gotta have the whitish, yellowish Triceratops!
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm curious if the Dire Horns have new animations. I usually assume the skeletons are reused, but I can't quite place these looking at the 3D model on Wowhead.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I like the green one, but now that I've seen the brown (orange?) one, I will definitely have to make room. Maybe my goat Kafa can retire to my new farm?
Slickrock

Vephriel wrote:I'm curious if the Dire Horns have new animations. I usually assume the skeletons are reused, but I can't quite place these looking at the 3D model on Wowhead.
New animations wouldn't be suprising since there's a boss model as well.
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Vephriel wrote:I'm curious if the Dire Horns have new animations. I usually assume the skeletons are reused, but I can't quite place these looking at the 3D model on Wowhead.
From the look of it, those are actually new animations. It surprises me too, as I was expecting a trike in WoW to use the kodo skeleton.
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Okay... this might actually top hydras. I just about died after I read everything and it all sunk in.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

They most definitely have a new skeleton. Check out their death, or even better: "customspell01" animation: it smashes the ground with its tail, rears up in the air, and then swipes its tail from side to side.

It's certifiably badass, I wish I could record it.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Incidentally, on the subject of quest vs. tracking mechanic, the dire horn announcement appears under "Creatures" rather than under "Quests" in the patch notes. This could mean anything, but it does *appear* to indicate that this is not the hunter equivalent of the special warlock quests.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I really want the Triceratops as a pet and since my favored spec has always been BM, I'd be okay with them being exotic. I doubt they will be though. To me the text says any Hunter will be able to acquire the skill to tame one.

My favorite Dinosaur has always been the Dimetrodon. They could even be a land and water mount. In the water you just "set sail" and go. :D
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I wouldn't mind exotic either way, but I don't think its Exotic. Why would they be secretive about Exotic pets when really... up to this point it's pretty straightforward.

Instead, I think these will be "trick tames", like the Magria, Banthalos, Skarr, etcetc.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Exactly. If it were just exotic, it would say as such, IMO. They wouldn't phrase it in a secretive way.

I have a BM spec, it doesn't matter to me. But people are seriously jumping to conclusions by assuming it's exotic. It's BY FAR the highest quality model for a hunter pet. I severely doubt they'd limit the first HD pet to one spec.