Where the Wild Things Are in Patch 5.2

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Re: Where the Wild Things Are in Patch 5.2

Unread post by Thwip »

I haaaaated it and I may not be the only one. I suffered through quite a bit of griefing for many of the rarer pets that I own.

With this variant to the style of obtaining spirit beasts, or rare pets in general, it cuts down on a LOT of griefing from Non-hunters and even other Hunters. I'm sure the old ones will always remain with their mid to long timers, but overall [to me] this just feels like a very positive step for all hunters. :)

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Thwip wrote:I haaaaated it and I may not be the only one. I suffered through quite a bit of griefing for many of the rarer pets that I own.

With this variant to the style of obtaining spirit beasts, or rare pets in general, it cuts down on a LOT of griefing from Non-hunters and even other Hunters. I'm sure the old ones will always remain with their mid to long timers, but overall [to me] this just feels like a very positive step for all hunters. :)
*snicker* I'd love to see a nonhunter try to kill one of the porkies....I doubt they'll be able to....

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

As has been pointed out before, the 10m spawn timers might be PTR-shortened.

Your milage may vary in terms of which you consider the hardest; it's all personal preference and what clicks for you. I personally have trouble gauging distances sometimes, so for a tame that's distance-reliant like Degu, it's a nightmare without practice.

I think others will be able to kill these guys, but it's really not the best use of their time. Besides, we've got the best skillset. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah, as Kalliope said, the 10 minute spawn timers is to allow as many people as possible to 'Try' and tame them. The PTR is for feedback. All they have to do when it goes live is change one factor from '10 minutes' to 'between 2 and 4 hours' or 'between 10 and 20 hours' and suddenly they're many many times more rare and harder to aquire. Instead of 6 possible per hour it turns into 5 or 6 a day, or once a day, ect.

I personally think they're cute, but I don't have any huge overwhelming urge to get one. I've got 5 or 6 spirit beasts already and my stable is so full of rares that I'm going to have to drop a rare just to get a direhorn or new Devilsaur. It might be that I think the porcupine models look doofy. Their quills aren't sharp and their heads seem to be way out on paddles in the front. Had they been sharp and some what threatening it might work better for me.

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Kalliope and Pepsi Jedi, you could both be right about this being just a fast spawner so feedback can be given. I would also like to point out, though, that I remember thinking the same thing about the current rares [Hunter pets and otherwise] and they've all stayed a relatively low time/fast spawn.

In my opinion, I can see these being set more around a couple hours like a few of the tracked pets and since they're looking like spawners....I actually feel like this will be the case. Furthest that I would guess would be Magria/Ahnka length timer.

[Still wouldn't hurt the family any to have some really common ones. :v]

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Kalliope

I completely agree, Thwip; a couple of hours is probably about as high as these will go, since the other Pandarian rares don't go more than that. It's also possible that these ARE the finalized timers, but either way, we won't know until live. :D

It's a nice compromise - we finally get spirit beasts that aren't ridiculously difficult to find due to spawn timers and competition, but we still have to earn them because of their challenge tame status. Plus said status protects them a bit from getting killed. ;)

YouTube Edition

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I do believe the trackable 'rares' aren't actually tagged as rares, though. Out of curiosity, do the spirit porcupines have rare tags?

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Kalliope

Snowy wrote:I do believe the trackable 'rares' aren't actually tagged as rares, though. Out of curiosity, do the spirit porcupines have rare tags?
Correct, none of the rare tameables in Pandaria are flagged as rares, including these (which I noted in the first post ;) ). It's quite likely that this is so other players won't mistake them for loot-dropping creatures - it's a perk for us!

YouTube Edition

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

I wouldn't even consider the trackable rares as 'rare' though, since they all seem to respawn within 1-2 hours. That's not really 'rare'. :P

Kalliope

Snowy wrote:I wouldn't even consider the trackable rares as 'rare' though, since they all seem to respawn within 1-2 hours. That's not really 'rare'. :P
*shrug* They're named beasts that aren't sitting out in the open and have a longer respawn time than normal NPCs. That's technically rare enough. :)

YouTube Edition

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Fair enough. (: I'm just looking for an excuse as to why Blizzard didn't mark them as rare... and yet the Sha of Anger is. xD

Kalliope

Well, the Sha of Anger drops loot, and lots of it. :) That's the big difference with the hunter pets.

YouTube Edition

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Alright, Guys. Keep the discussion on topic in this thread, please! I don't want to be the spoilsport, but there is space for this!
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Thwip wrote:Kalliope and Pepsi Jedi, you could both be right about this being just a fast spawner so feedback can be given. I would also like to point out, though, that I remember thinking the same thing about the current rares [Hunter pets and otherwise] and they've all stayed a relatively low time/fast spawn.

In my opinion, I can see these being set more around a couple hours like a few of the tracked pets and since they're looking like spawners....I actually feel like this will be the case. Furthest that I would guess would be Magria/Ahnka length timer.

[Still wouldn't hurt the family any to have some really common ones. :v]
I can't speak for them all. I only tamed the new green hunched tiger in the latest round. That being said his timer was not short. It could be as long as 6 hours. I know. I ran around the island for 6 hours straight and he never popped once. I ended up finding him the next morning when I logged on.

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Spirit beast porcupines. Eh. Forgive my saying but I am very disappointed by this. Great for those whom love /want them but Blizzard is taking spirit beasts to far. There's NO NEED for, what, three separate colors of the same spirit beast saber cat (Magria, Ankha & Gonria) and now there's three differently colored spirit beast porcupines. I'd rather have one uber tame spirit beast then three of the same skin but different colors. More "filler" type crap from Blizzard IN MY OPINION.

I'm glad others love them but I'm disappointed. :( I know I know. It's early. But not many more weeks before 5.2 is set to come out I believe.

Still no reptile spirit beast. Such a shame.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Well I tamed the three. Well, I MIGHT have Degu...

I found the greatest challenge wasnt the beasts themselves, but this nonsense "World Server Is Down" error that would hit every few minutes. (This is why I MIGHT have Degu)

Degu took a few attempts to get a feel for his range requirements, but since you can stop the cast on the quil by running in, it didnt seem like much hassle if you activate the cast.

Edit: I kept my pet out with Degu in case i got one of those stealthed tigers. It also allows healing and Beastial Wrath etc. I kept pet by my side most of time.
Kalliope

Oh, that reminds me - did you have m/any issues with either abandoning/dismissing your pet vs. him?

YouTube Edition

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Kalliope wrote:Oh, that reminds me - did you have m/any issues with either abandoning/dismissing your pet vs. him?
I didnt personally, I dismissed with deterrence. I then kited enough for deterrence to come off CD and so I could deter and tame.

I imagine putting that abandon script into a macro would be much easier, I was just using a devilsaur I wasnt done with :D

One odd thing about Degu is I found he would kinda "reset" his walk and sit still for a second. I ran into his quil range a couple times because of this but ran back in to reset the cast. It was weird though.

I did have to retame since the "World Server Is Down" allowed Degu to eat me apparently. Right as I was taming this Degu, a horde rogue came in and tried to kill it but the tame went off before they did. I half wanted to Feign Death and let Degu omnomnom him :D
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Kurasu wrote:Alright, Guys. Keep the discussion on topic in this thread, please! I don't want to be the spoilsport, but there is space for this!
Meh. It's derail time since we are likely done with new pets. :-)
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Kalliope wrote:
Snowy wrote:I wouldn't even consider the trackable rares as 'rare' though, since they all seem to respawn within 1-2 hours. That's not really 'rare'. :P
*shrug* They're named beasts that aren't sitting out in the open and have a longer respawn time than normal NPCs. That's technically rare enough. :)
There's one other benefit with the short timers for those of you that like these new porcs, that is with so short a timer, those of us who are indifferent to them at best aren't tempted to go for them since they are 't truly rare. :-)
Account has been closed at user's request.