How to get your Direhorn!

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gretadella
Realm: Ghostlands

How to get your Direhorn!

Unread post by Gretadella »

Now, a lot of people seem to be unaware how to tame one of those awesome Direhorns, who make up for great Tanking pets. They are rather easy to tame, so I'll quickly upload a few pictures and some information to get your Direhorn!

With the update for PTR, the Isle of Giants is full of Elite mobs, included these guys (The small Dinomancers). They are in the middle of the island, where Oondasta resided. They have about 3 Mio HP, but they do not hit hard so with a good tenacity pet and a few heals here and there you should be able too take them down. At some point of the fight, they change into a Devilsaur and hit a bit harder, but it should not be a big problem. After the DK and me killed about 3 of them, Ancient Tome of Dinomancy dropped!

Just use it and BAM, you can tame Direhorns! And this new pet is NOT an exotic pet, so you can tame him in any spec.

I hope my little tutorial helped some of you guys to get a Direhorn and have lots of fun with your cute, little dino!

Greetings, Gretadella!
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Skullcrusher

Re: How to get your Direhorn!

Unread post by Alauran »

Gretadella wrote:Now, a lot of people seem to be unaware how to tame one of those awesome Direhorns, who make up for great Tanking pets. They are rather easy to tame, so I'll quickly upload a few pictures and some information to get your Direhorn!

With the update for PTR, the Isle of Giants is full of Elite mobs, included these guys (The small Dinomancers). They are in the middle of the island, where Oondasta resided. They have about 3 Mio HP, but they do not hit hard so with a good tenacity pet and a few heals here and there you should be able too take them down. At some point of the fight, they change into a Devilsaur and hit a bit harder, but it should not be a big problem. After the DK and me killed about 3 of them, Ancient Tome of Dinomancy dropped!

Just use it and BAM, you can tame Direhorns! And this new pet is NOT an exotic pet, so you can tame him in any spec.

I hope my little tutorial helped some of you guys to get a Direhorn and have lots of fun with your cute, little dino!

Greetings, Gretadella!
I've Killed about 10 of these guys and still no drop. They don't even drop any loot at all. I am killing the Dinomancers. Any advice?
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Alauran »

Nvm. Finally dropped
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I'm kind of glad that it's a drop. I just hope that when it gets to live, the drop rate isn't decreased. RNG really seems to hate me in those sorts of cases. On my warrior, I farmed for an eternity for the book that started the Quel Serrar chain back in Vanilla only to finally be given it as a gift. Shucks, last week I finally got the bindings off Garr for Thunderfury. I'd had the other half of the bindings since MC/BWL were endgame.
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

Yeah I was actually killing those guys, they don't drop any loot (At least normally) but if they drop this then heck yeah I am farming them once I can get back on. The servers are having some HUGE issues right now and I keep getting World Server Down XD
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Alauran »

Drakkena wrote:Yeah I was actually killing those guys, they don't drop any loot (At least normally) but if they drop this then heck yeah I am farming them once I can get back on. The servers are having some HUGE issues right now and I keep getting World Server Down XD
Restart the client and wait a few minutes. You should be all set. I've been getting "world server down" the past two days but this seems to fix the problem.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

Boven wrote:I'm kind of glad that it's a drop. I just hope that when it gets to live, the drop rate isn't decreased. RNG really seems to hate me in those sorts of cases. On my warrior, I farmed for an eternity for the book that started the Quel Serrar chain back in Vanilla only to finally be given it as a gift. Shucks, last week I finally got the bindings off Garr for Thunderfury. I'd had the other half of the bindings since MC/BWL were endgame.
Definitely on your boat. I won't mind killing these guys if it doesn't prove to me how absolutely terrible my RNG is, like everything else. :lol:
I can see it now. 3 kills, 10 kills... and for me, 572.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Oh I really hope these stay with the soul bound on pickup/loot and marked for hunters only. Hopefully that will keep people from killing the mobs to loot and sell those on the ah.
Gretadella

Shade wrote:Oh I really hope these stay with the soul bound on pickup/loot and marked for hunters only. Hopefully that will keep people from killing the mobs to loot and sell those on the ah.
They are soulbound and I tested it with the DK and she could not pick it up so it is probably Hunter only.
Last edited by Gretadella on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alauran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Alauran »

Gretadella wrote:
Shade wrote:Oh I really hope these stay with the soul bound on pickup/loot and marked for hunters only. Hopefully that will keep people from killing the mobs to loot and sell those on the ah.
They are soulbound and I tested it with the DK and she could not pick it up so it is probably Hunter only. :)
Do you think we'll be able to tame the raptor ones on the island?
Gretadella

Alauran wrote:Do you think we'll be able to tame the raptor ones on the island?
The Devilsaurs are tameable in Beast Mastery Spec and how to tame the Direhorns is explained above. The Pterodactyls however are not tameable, sadly, since they look really cool.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I just basically begged Cory Stockton on Twitter if they would consider making the Pterrorwings tameable.

Let's hope for the best!

(well, not begged, really just asked. x) )
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
ejpaints
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aerie Peak

Unread post by ejpaints »

Thank you for posting this. Sadly I can't get back on till weekend. New horde guild and I promised them I'd fill in their empty heal slot for their first mop raid....
Enikka & Gara.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

After around 22 kills, I finally got my tome on the premade char I was on.

I got it and tamed two Dire Horns.

I'm leveling my hunter to 90. That is all.

For an ingame model, these Direhorns are darn charming creatures that look almost alive with their idle animations and the Reflective Armor Plating animation. Jeez.

Just looking at it die after using the Cower ( it causes the death animation to play ) makes me sadface. It looks so realistic.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Me and another hunter friend of mine are farming these Trolls and still nothing has dropped yet. I hope they increase the droprate or something, I understand wanting to limit it at the beginning but on the PTR maybe making it a little more accessable for testing would work out, so we can find any bugs there might be for the Direhorns in general.
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Taming all 5 of these beauties and using Stampede without the Glyph is the most glorious thing in the world.

And yes, all of my Dinos (Save for Sarah) are named after Gems that match their color. I'm hoping everyone gets the reference for Sarah XD
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

That's so cool. I am looking forward to this patch more than I thought I would, as I wasn't crazy about the direhorns at first, but the more I see them the more I like them.

The red ones are my favourite..

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

rexbox
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore & Thunderlord

Unread post by rexbox »

aww you called the brown one sarah... land before time reference!
Battlenet: R3XB0X#1794 the 0 is a zero

ALPHABLADE http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... ade/simple

TUSKENHUNTER http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... r/advanced

3DS FC: 3110-5085-2138 / Pokémon Type: Ghost / Pokémon Available: Shuppet, Pumpkaboo, Spiritomb / Pokémon Version: Y
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Aha I knew it! Spent a bit of time killing these guys last night but had no luck. Guess I'll need to try again!

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr