Savage in desperate need of a name!

Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Savage in desperate need of a name!

Unread post by Astratia »

I’m in desperate need of a name for Savage. I’ve never had a companion beast out at my side so much without a name. He’s leveled with me from 85 now to 89 (well, one bar away), and has done about 90% of the quests and dungeons with me. It feels odd to see he’s still called ‘Cat’ and I haven’t even named him mentally.

I want a name fitting to the personality that he has developed, as well as something sticking to an ‘oriental’ origin. However, I’m trying to avoid human/baby names, but will be open to looking at them if they have a meaning behind their origins that suits him. I’m looking for something that might be from some sort of mythology to stick somewhat to my ‘theme’ of names, if you could call it that anymore ^_^’

This particular Savage doesn’t hold the nature befitting to his NPC name. I don’t see him as a savage beast, but instead something more benevolent. He’s good natured, though somewhat mysterious and even comical. If he were a character that spoke, he would be the type to on occasionally speak in riddles or proverbs, leaving you scratching your head while he jovially grins as if everything made perfect sense. He’s wise; when in combat his strikes would be calculated with purpose (or as Xeun says… or he could just kick them in the groin). He also does remind me much of what Xeun our Tiger God would be in a mortal form. If you haven’t met him yet, I won’t put in any more spoilers ^_^’

A couple of names that crossed my mind briefly were the following:
Byakko – The Japanese White Tiger of the West that represents the west and autumn season
Baihu – The Chinese White Tiger of the West that represents the west and autumn season
Tenshi – Japanese word/name for Angel
Ranzil – Angel name from a book series I’m reading.

The first two names were passed up because I feel due to the overall Oriental aspect of the new expansion they may become rather popular names. I want mine to stand out a little.
Tenshi didn’t sit right on him, and Ranzil … well that angel seemed a little hostile for what I imagine this Tiger to be.

He’s already gotten many compliments between his looks and how he’s already saved the day in dungeons. He’s a server first tame and I’ve still yet seen anyone with him. Quite a unique fellow in dire need of a befitting name :D

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Savage in desperate need of a name!

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

He sounds like a Taoist to me, so you could name him Tao. Or if he does his exclaiming in verse, you could name him Shi, which means 'poem'.
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Oh, I do like that :D
I had to look up what a Taoist was, but after reading about it I think you are right :)

That's a good name and I'll consider it, thank you!

Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

** In the foundational text of Taoism, the Tao Te Ching, Laozi explains that Tao is not a 'name' for a 'thing' but the underlying natural order of the universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe. Tao is thus "eternally nameless” (Dao De Jing-32. Laozi) and to be distinguished from the countless 'named' things which are considered to be its manifestations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao

Amusing, considering how long he has been nameless....

I think I might have to go with Tao :D