Stymied by Quilen Name

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Stymied by Quilen Name

Unread post by Ziarre »

I seem to be having all sorts of quilen troubles. I tamed Portent...twice, and the resulting dilemma between purple and red was interesting, to say the least. I may have decided on the purple Portent, but I just can't seem to settle on a name for him. Currently he's named Vark, which is a sort of metallic candy topping...but it just feels odd and not-right and I don't quite think I've found his final name yet. It's too delicate for such a sturdy, proud statue-beast!

What sort of name am I hoping for?

-Something that isn't in English. I like unusual names with meanings. Language may vary--check my stable for an idea of what I look for.
-Something stone or metal related, but steering away from easily-recognized stones like Amethyst or Opal (related to first criteria).
-OR-
-Something referring to the tendencies of the mogu--a 'brutish' name.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Stymied by Quilen Name

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Going off your last idea "Something referring to the tendencies of the mogu--a 'brutish' name." I did little digging and found something rather nifty.

In Chinese Mythology there are some beasts called "The Four Fiends"
(I thought this especially apt due to the number of colour variations available for portent)

Maybe have a little bit of a read and maybe one of these names and beasts might fit your purple fiend ;)

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Fiends

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I understand your problem only too well. I had a hard time deciding on a name for my Orc's new Quilen. I finally settled on Trajan, one of the roman emperors. I think Latin or Greek names could be fitting for a statue, as in digsites of the roman empire you can find statues of lions and other exotic beasts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_emperors

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Alstan 'noble/elf/old + stone'
Drusus 'strong, sturdy'
Mutazz 'proud, powerful'
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garguntoter
Realm: Undermine

Unread post by Garguntoter »

If you are still looking for a possible name I have a couple of suggestions. There is a mineral called Sugilite, nice purple color discovered by Ken-ichi Sugi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugilite so Sugi sounds kinda interesting or you might get so ideas from the wiki page. Also Narasimha; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narasimha Sanskrit for "Man-lion" is an avatar of Vishnu, says in the second paragraph "know primarily as the Great Protector..... Thought that one sounds niffty as well. Good luck and happy hunting.