Akycha and her new serpent(Spirit of the North)

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Akycha and her new serpent(Spirit of the North)

Unread post by Akycha »

So, I've been stumped since 5.1 hit on what to call my new serpent. I originally thought it would be easy. I'd pick an Inuit or Eskimo name that had something to do with Spirit of the North since that was what I tamed. Several days of internet searching later I had no luck and started asking people for ideas. The only one I liked was my brother's suggestion of Polaris after the North Star. I immediately loved the idea but not the name.

I figured there has to be a lot of various names for the North Star. No luck there either. Then, I thought about the serpent constellation and what the name of stars are in it. Again no luck. They seem to be Ser with some number and letter designation or Greek. I really don't want to name him after a Greek god. Not much luck with North wind either.

At anyrate on to my nameless serpent. We had a screenshot session and most got ruled out. The Camera doesn't catch him well.

Here is one of the better ones.
He loves to look around and is constantly twisting and even if he's not looking around his body is in motion. I think that is why it is so easy for me to see his features but in the still above his face sorta disappears. On think I love about him is the detailing on his body and the fact he's got blue highlights.

The below view, looking down at him, really gives you a good picture of how large he actually is.
Despite his size he does a good job of appearing smaller and is quite graceful.

I'm not stuck on the Inuit/Eskimo naming thing. I have pets who have told me what their names were and that was that(Eyes a certain wolf.) This serpent is being a bit shy about his name though. So, I was hoping you'll could help. Below is my current stable so you can get an idea of what I've named other pets. I realize there are many that are nameless there, but I view them as visitors sometimes they stay and tell me their names and other times they stick with me until they are rested up and well and move on. Of course sometimes they tell me their names then move on as well.

Oh and my character's name is Akycha. ;)

Attachments
121210_serpent_fronton.jpg
121210_serpent_fronton.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
121210_serpent_topdown.jpg
121210_serpent_topdown.jpg (137.4 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
MoP_stable(2).png
MoP_stable(2).png (345.17 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Akycha and her new serpent(Spirit of the North)

Unread post by Akycha »

I forgot to include a bit about Akycha and why pets are named like they are. Akycha likes to explorer everywhere and see and do everything. She liked to find out and meet everyone. If some hunter is looking for a pet, she's there to help them get it. While I don't role play I do have back stories and a bit of an idea on personality for each of them.

By far though I've much more worked out on the pets that her. Akycha general plays and does what I would do or want to find out. Her pets names all have meaning behind them if nothign else what they are suppose to mean as a name(well as far as the internet accurately tells me.) Thor is Thor because when I was camping grubthor I started calling him that and the name stuck. Wolf is wolf well for a variety of reason, the man one being I was reading a book at the time where one of the main characters was a wolf named Wolf. Borealis is named that because originally he was a color changer sometimes he was dark and sometimes he lit up with color. Yuraliria's name means dancing one because her idle animation looks like she's dancing. Blitz got his name because when I first took him into a dungeon shortly after I got him he charged ahead and pulled the whole room.(we survived) Sedna is named after a Goddess of the sea and creatures because she's protective, ruthless and kind just like the sea.

As a final note, my serpent while always in motion isn't hyper. More ready to go at any moment.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

maybe this will help you a bit in your name search:

Inuit deities

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

What about the aurora borealis? The northern lights seem a natural fit with arcane serpents to me. I noticed you already have one of your pets named Borealis, but maybe Aurora? Also, the valkyries are associated with the northern lights, so a name inspired by them might work, too.
Blackavar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Blackavar »

I'm the same with my pet names, most have meaning behind them.
Some suggestions are:

CHOCHOKPI- means, "the crown of the clouds"
KISECAWCHUCK: means "day star" (might be too long tho)
MUNDOO: Great spirit (often referred to the sky spirit)
VAIVEAHTOISH:"alights on the cloud."
DONOMA: "a sight that can rival the sun"
JACI: "moon"
TAINI,TAIGI, or MIGINA:"returning moon"
MISAE: "white sun"
NAMID:"star dancer"
WICAPIWAKAN: "holy star"
AHTAHKAKOOP: "star blanket"
CITLALI or ULLORIAQ: "star"

harder to find names with "star" involved but I can keep looking :)

Ty Thorka for the amazing Sig and Avatar!

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Aurora Borealis is a good idea, but like you said I have a Borealis and Aurora just doesn't fit him. Much like Polaris didn't fit. I really like the Valkyries as well!

Oh thanks for the link! There is so much foder in the Inuit/Alaskan mythos. I was familiar with some of those but didn't really have a list of them all!. I like the idea of Kinak from there.

Those are good suggestions of names. They have some of the same sound look as the other names as well. I didn't' even think of looking at other Native American names. I like the name Namid after first glance through.

I'm going to run these by the people I normally do my list of name. I'll let you know how it works out. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd welcome them as well since I'm still in the thinking process. Now though I have some possibilities thanks so much guys!
Nirna
Realm: Die Nachtwache, EU

Unread post by Nirna »

my i love the new arcane serpents ^^ i have the whtie as well

mine is called "Pyry" it means snowstorm/blizzard in finnish

some other names:

Belenus: shiny, bright
Lani or Ambar: Sky
Mamid: Stardancer
Macha: Aurora
Mimiteh: Newmoon
Siobhan: charming/ graceful
Kea: white
Ao: Cloud
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I came upon the name Sorcha while researching names to give to my non-combat companion pets. It comes from Irish and Scottish roots meaning "brightness", "luminous", and "radiance". All three of which can easily be associated with stars. The correct pronunciation of the name is said to sound like "Surra-kha" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeahFvKaj6Y) but I prefer to pronouce it as "Sor-sha" for my Cinder Kitten. Whichever sound appeals to you most, I think it makes for a lovely name and I'd like to suggest it for your Arcane Wyrm.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

I have not forgotten! I'm just being my typical indecisive self, debating between Namid and Kinak.

Sorcha is a wonderful name. I had a picture of her from Willow as my desk cover for the longest time when I was a kid. The name though is forever associated with the kick ass red head that gets all flustered by mad Mardigan, so it wouldn't work for my serpent, maybe if I had the red one. :P
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Niabi wrote:I came upon the name Sorcha while researching names to give to my non-combat companion pets. It comes from Irish and Scottish roots meaning "brightness", "luminous", and "radiance". All three of which can easily be associated with stars. The correct pronunciation of the name is said to sound like "Surra-kha" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeahFvKaj6Y) but I prefer to pronouce it as "Sor-sha" for my Cinder Kitten. Whichever sound appeals to you most, I think it makes for a lovely name and I'd like to suggest it for your Arcane Wyrm.
I think of her from the traditional Irish(I think its Irish) myth in which she is a which that brings about the creation of a famous witch hunter whos name escapes me currently.

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Vulpixen wrote:
Niabi wrote:I came upon the name Sorcha while researching names to give to my non-combat companion pets. It comes from Irish and Scottish roots meaning "brightness", "luminous", and "radiance". All three of which can easily be associated with stars. The correct pronunciation of the name is said to sound like "Surra-kha" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeahFvKaj6Y) but I prefer to pronouce it as "Sor-sha" for my Cinder Kitten. Whichever sound appeals to you most, I think it makes for a lovely name and I'd like to suggest it for your Arcane Wyrm.
I think of her from the traditional Irish(I think its Irish) myth in which she is a which that brings about the creation of a famous witch hunter whos name escapes me currently.
Very cool name either way! But doesn't fit my serpent. :/

I went with Namid after a long debate. Thanks everyone! I've got some ideas and resources for the next pet I have to name as well. :D