91%

Total votes: 11

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Sherlock's Nemesis - Who?

Unread post by Seilahyn »

So, my boyfriend and I have been on a Sherlock kick lately. We watched the BBC Sherlock(freaking awesome, love it), the first Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr, and we've been watching Elementary as it shows. I really liked Moriarty in the BBC version, despite him being an absolute nutter, I think he was well done. Aside from that, I rather liked the name. Now I'm not one to borrow names from known characters in stories/movies/etc, but I really want to use the name for one of Maoli's pets. My current debate is.. which. The pet itself doesn't have to fit the personality to a T, but I would prefer it to atleast seem somewhat like it belongs. Not like naming a ravager Princess or anything, if you get my drift.

I have two currently unnamed:

Gosh-Haldir - While I think the name would fit the villainous look of a crocolisk, I kind of portray mine to be a bit of a dimwit who is run by food. Everything is edible to him, after that he determines if it was good or not but will often forget. Moriarty is, however, not an idiot and is quite a genius like Sherlock.

Arash-Ethis - I think the wind serpent better reflects a cunning, sharp, genius yet quirky in look.. but not so much on the bad guy thing. While he didn't look like a horribly bad guy, or evil really, he was technically the "bad guy," the "anti-Sherlock" so to speak.

I can make some pretty good arguments for it fitting either of them, so I'm really torn on which to give it to. So, I leave it up to the masses to help sway me. I know my overall happiness matters and all, but I'm fine with either.. I just need to choose and I'm horrible at making decisions!
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Sherlock's Nemesis - Who?

Unread post by Makoes »

Definitely the wind serpent. Morriarty was a slippery character, crafty and cunning that rivaled Sherlock. The wind serpent portrays the aristocratic-ness of Morriarty while still having the dangers of quick wit, and strike.

I do not see any strong resemblance to Morriarty in a slow moving, down to earth crocolisk.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I'd say wind serpent. Snakes are the very poster image of cunning and cruelty in the media, and wind serpents seem like fairly agile and nimble--and that reminds me of a quick mind, which I imagine Moriarty is. (Pfft, have yet to watch the series myself, despite knowing half of the fandom jokes. Go figure.)
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Definitely the wind serpent, I agree with the others. While I can see Mycroft as a crocolisk, Moriarty is far too slippery and wild a character for anything but a serpent.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

Wind Serpent.
I can say from using them, they are beautiful, wonderful, rarely used, and will fit just about any personality, whether it's good or bad. I <3 wind serpents (which is why I have two, going on three.)

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

I'm going to buck the trend and say crocolisk if we are purely talking the pet family itself. Crocs and alligators are the master of hiding in plain site. They can wait for hours for the perfect opportunity then bam they got you. When a croc moves they move fast! on land or water. They take their prey down under water and roll them. This combines broken bones, bleeding and drowning all into a nasty combination that kills them rather quick. They then will then eat or stow away the corpse for later. The bigger the croc the older and more cunning they are.

That being said if you've already have personified your croc as being dimwitted then the wind serpent would be the way to go.
Thorka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Thorka »

Hmm, I'm going to also have to say wind serpent.

You've already given personality to your croc, and I also agree with the fact that serpents can be easily portrayed as slippery and cunning.
As for the fact that they don't look 'villainous', I'm going to have to disagree. Reptilian animals / snakes have long been portrayed as 'the bad guys', and I think that the Wind Serpent model could easy fit that nicely.

But, if you're in doubt, could I suggest going for the spiked wind serpent models?
ImageImage

Tying in to what Makoes said, he probably would lose what can be seen as his 'aristocratic' look, however.
Nevertheless, I hope you find what you're looking for. :D

(Apologies for any discrepancies. I haven't watched Sherlock myself.)

Icon by Seilahyn! Signature by Vephriel.

Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

I did end up naming the wind serpent Moriarty. The overwhelming vote for it did help sway me to finally do it.

I admit I did enjoy the crocolisk response and reasoning though. With all the results going, without a doubt, towards wind serpent I was beginning to wonder how I ever saw it fitting the croc. I thought maybe it was there when I looked at his face, for some reason it made me believe for a bit he could pass as Moriarty.

Thanks everyone. ^^
Akycha
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Akycha »

Seilahyn wrote:I did end up naming the wind serpent Moriarty. The overwhelming vote for it did help sway me to finally do it.

I admit I did enjoy the crocolisk response and reasoning though. With all the results going, without a doubt, towards wind serpent I was beginning to wonder how I ever saw it fitting the croc. I thought maybe it was there when I looked at his face, for some reason it made me believe for a bit he could pass as Moriarty.

Thanks everyone. ^^

I figured it would go that way. It seemed like your croc already had a personality. Though he can't be too dimwitted if he figured out staying with you was the best option. :P