how do you come up with rp names for pets? / help my troll

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

how do you come up with rp names for pets? / help my troll

Unread post by Funk »

Ok!

So my Troll hunter (Motoshi) is a bit of a mess right now. She's no longer my main (and actually hasn't been for a long time, but yeah), and I've retamed some pets on other hunters that suit them better (like a... pet transfer almost haha). Anyways, I recently went through a stable purge for her. What remains are some new tames that I am trying out and pets that I am very attached to.

I have also recently been considering moving Motoshi to a roleplaying realm. I don't really plan to PvP anymore (maaaaybe on my main if my dumb friend levels his chars, but idk) and I've never been a raider. I've always had dumb backstories for my chars, so I thought maybe Motoshi could be the one to try out something different - ie. actual roleplay. As far as learning to roleplay myself - I'm casually perusing resources here and wherever else I find them about the subject. I'm coming up with kinda loose ideas for Motoshi herself as I'm inspired, but my interest in this post is on naming hunter pets for roleplay.

Basically what I've done so far is go through a Wowhead database on Troll npcs and modify names when I like them. Note however that I am not dead-set on using only this method. With that thought, my first question is: What is your method for naming your pets for roleplay purposes? What about for naming pets to fit with a specific race? I suspect it will be different for everyone, and I realize there are a lot of nuances to this.

My second question is: Do you have any troll-specific pet suggestions (Darkspear)?

Alternatively, tell me about some of your roleplay pets with interesting backstories? Or how you conjured up a name for them?

Thank-you in advance to any who shoot ideas my way. :hug:
Last edited by Funk on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funk#1402

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: how do you come up with rp names for pets? / help my tro

Unread post by Funk »

I went to grab Pride of Bethekk, and ended up grabbing a snek too.

I'm not sure if I'll keep the snake. Hmmmmmm.

Happy about the kitty though.

Still no idea what the heck to call them >:c
Attachments
pb.png
pb.png (671.82 KiB) Viewed 22909 times
snek.png
snek.png (834.78 KiB) Viewed 22909 times
funk#1402

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Name them after the Loa :mrgreen:

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Rawr wrote:Name them after the Loa :mrgreen:
I definitely like the idea, but I'm worried that it is a bit bold, and I don't really want my pets seeming too powerful or anything.

So I have another question, posed to anyone who can answer: Is there some kind of naming convention (eg. 'child of' or something along those lines) that would apply to trolls (so, in Zandali I guess?) to relate a mortal creature to loa? I thought I knew the prefix/suffix for 'child of' but apparently not. Although, I think even saying my pet is a child of a wild god might be a bit bold still (granted from what I am aware of many loa aren't wild gods but yeah...)

I'm still a super noob here so bear with me :lol:

(also ty rawr - you gave me a good new question to ask :3)

---

Not related to the loa, but here are some of my favorite pets for my Troll:

This dude is currently named Tai but I'm not married to the name. He's a doofus (although I haven't captured it in this screenshot).
Edit: I've gone with Sombra and decided that SHE is a doofus (also, not named after the Overwatch character, to be clear).

Here he is w/ Shadow Hunter Kajassa.

This is Tak. She's rly angry all the time.

And some new dudes I'm trying out:

Unnamed bat with pretty eyes.

Spirit of Atha, unnamed.
Last edited by Funk on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funk#1402

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Hmm, when I need a rp name for a specific race, if there is no dictionnary to do something nice (You can try some names with the thalassian one, for examples), I use a name generator for the race or I ask a friend with another race to stay near while I say words in the language. Like, for a troll, you ask your orc friend to stay near and say something like "ChildrenofWhateverLoaName" and it will give you a troll name.
http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/tr ... R8n4NykKUk
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Zandali
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Zandali

Apparently, Aka means "Daughter of". It's near the "Son of" you asked ? x)
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Inay wrote:Hmm, when I need a rp name for a specific race, if there is no dictionnary to do something nice (You can try some names with the thalassian one, for examples), I use a name generator for the race or I ask a friend with another race to stay near while I say words in the language. Like, for a troll, you ask your orc friend to stay near and say something like "ChildrenofWhateverLoaName" and it will give you a troll name.
http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/tr ... R8n4NykKUk
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Zandali
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Zandali

Apparently, Aka means "Daughter of". It's near the "Son of" you asked ? x)
Ah thank-you Inay!

I was also thinking about the concerns about essentially calling my pet 'child of X', but then I thought of that world quest with the shock absorber in Stormheim where Odyn calls Gnomes "Children of Mimiron". Like, they're just rando Alliance Gnomes. I don't know, it got me thinking that 'child of X' doesn't need to be literal or imply power or anything.

Also, I love your idea about grabbing another Horde race to read out things I type out in Zandali. I'm not sure of the mechanism used in game for translations though; I didn't think they were direct translations since the languages haven't been fully developed by Blizz from what I am aware. However, this could be really good for a jolt of inspiration, so thank-you.
funk#1402

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Ok! So I have tried Inay's suggestion. It's actually interesting playing around with the built in 'translator'. The results obv line up with http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Zandali (linked by Inay) and aren't actually Zandali, but it was kinda fun seeing what I got.

In my test, I obtained the following results:
'dumb lizard' translated to 'iyaz wi'mek'
'angry chicken' translated to 'nehjo lok'dim'
'scaly dog' translated to 'nehjo noh'
'cat' translated to 'tor'
'kitty' translated to 'ackee'
'thorn' translated to 'ackee' also
funk#1402

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter