I need spider names! >8<

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

I need spider names! >8<

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm slowly accumulating my army of spiders on my Undead Hunter, and I wanted to brainstorm some good names for them. :) I have quite a few in mind, but if anyone can suggest some good words or names that really suit a spider, please share. :D The more to pick from the better. Just anything that comes to mind that would suit.

Thanks!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: I need spider names! >8<

Unread post by Gimlion »

Ungoliant and Shelob are two spider names that always come to mind for me. They are from the LoTR Mythos.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Alright, google to the rescue!!! :D

Anansi is one I've heard mentioned a few times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi You could also use Nanzi, which is mentioned in that article as the Curaçao name for Anansi.

Arachne challenged Athena to a weaving contest and won, but I'm sure you already thought of that name.

Tsuchigumo are part of a Japanese myth:
The Tsuchigumo (translated as "Earth spiders")[13] of Japan, were both a mythical ethnic group, believed to live in the Japanese Alps until at least the Asuka period, and a mythical, supernatural creature faced by the character Minamoto no Raiko, although the term was also loosely used for bandits and thieves. The Tsuchigumo were said to live in caverns beneath the mountains and the Tsuchigumo in the Minamoto no Raiko legend were able to take the visage of a boy or a woman depending on the version of the story.
(http://tribes.tribe.net/thcsociety/thre ... a2cef9a838)

Then there's Aragog, of course.

The link to the quote about the Tsuchigumo has a couple more, but really, I doubt this is anything you haven't already thought of... Hmm. *digs some more*

This is an "incomplete and inauthoritative" list of spider names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... mmon_names
A couple stand out as possible names at first glance:
Araneidae
Aurantia
Avicularia
Argyrodes
Vespera
Anastera
Venatoria
Kaiba

There are tons more on that list of course. Hope it helps!

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I think a pair of spiders named Creepy and Crawlie would be cute, but that's probably because I'm arachnophobic and can't bring myself to use the spider pets anyway. :lol:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel

Thanks for all those awesome suggestions! I'm definitely using a bunch of them. :D I have all my names picked out now. ^_^
Helix

Unread post by Helix »

There's also Kumonga, the giant mutant spider in Son of Godzilla. How about Aragog from Harry Potter? There are also names like Webster and Venom. Even more spider names on this website: https://beenamed.com/best-pet-spider-names/
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Arachnia :P SImple but fitting..
Consuela - the giant spider in 8 Legged Freaks

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel

This is a 12 year old thread why was it bumped back up. :lol:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Haha my bad... one poster account posted and I was sleepy and didbt notice :oops: :oops: :oops:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig