Flight Rising - General Discussion

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Flight Rising - General Discussion

Unread post by Bowno »

Tarn, it's possible that they didn't save the layers, which would make a recolor VERY difficult (and keep the same quality.)
I would attempt it, but I feel very strongly against altering someone elses art without their permission. I guess it's because I'd be kinda ticked off if someone did the same with mine, despite mine not being that good xD

Alternatively, you could keep the art as it is, and leave it as kinda... "This is how I used to look before magic" or something. Then get new art that represents his new look :>

Siggy under construction!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Well if you feel strongly against it then dont ;)... i would still credit the artist and just say "recolor done by (insert name here)" I would just appreciate it represent him as he is now.. i made it black and white and put the art in so how it look like this:

but i prefer it in color - i tried myself but i got zero skills

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Oh the desaturated version looks nice :D

Siggy under construction!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I think its boring.. and i rather have it in colors which fit my tundra - which is why i asked for help ;). Making it gray/white is altering the artist picture too so i dont see the difference in altering the colors so it fit my tundra...specially not since i before posting here asked the artist if he/she could change it for me.. and they did not know how..

and i posted here to see if ppl could help.. if ppl want to help me i be more than grateful.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Probably the artist says he can't do it because he (she?) flattened the image. I can try to tweak it but it might not be perfect.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I appriciate any effort Nachtwulf! Thank you ♥ ♥ ♥

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Tarn, no offense, but you're being a little unkind to the artist who produced the original artowork in the first place. It's amazing. I'm sure they had no idea that you were going to scatter the colors of your dragon and ask to change the piece, therefore the original PSD type file doesn't exist where all the layers are separate and editable. What you're asking other people to do right now is not only disrespectful to the artist, but not that easy to do unless you are super intimate with a program like Photoshop and coloring things. It's not that easy to just paint over a flattened image and make it look good. As someone who creates things in PS, I would be seriously upset if someone handed one of my sigs to another sig artist without asking me and said, please change this. Doesn't matter if you give the other artist credit still or not; you changed their work without asking. It's like saying "Oh this wasn't good enough."

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

Of course I think we should stop assuming she has not asked for permission I see no where that it was or was not done

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

Maybe you can commission someone else to make a new piece of your tundra and ask them to do a similar pose?

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh I am picky about my artwork.. if it does not fit my dragon then I wont use it. I think the art is amazing but not fitting my dragon thats a no go for me; I currently dont have the fonds to give enough for a new drawing else I would. If ppl feel its the wrong thing to do to help me then I understand... I just feel its a shame just to delete the art and throw it away

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Syleye wrote:Of course I think we should stop assuming she has not asked for permission I see no where that it was or was not done
You're right, however, what those of us who are artists see right now is that she asked them to edit it, they said they didn't know how, so she came here. As artists, we just want people who aren't (or aren't as much) to understand that you're (in some cases illegally) tampering with someone else's hard work and that it's not really okay.

If someone wanted to do something like this with a piece I crocheted, I would prefer them to come back to me. If I couldn't edit the piece itself, I would offer to create a new piece that fit what they wanted and likely at a discount as I want my customers to keep returning to me and be happy.

If the original artist says it's okay for someone else to edit their work, then by all means have other people familiar with PS or similar programs see if they can. :) I wouldn't take issue with that.

Tarn, the issue is that it's not fair to the artist. If you ask them if someone can change it if they know how, then that's a totally different beast. But asking people to edit someone else's creation is like plagiarizing, even if they don't get/take full credit.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Okidokie to soothe everyone I am going to contact the artist again to hear if he/she minds if I change the art she made.. Though in my world it makes no sense.. i "own" the art because i bought it .. therefor its mine to change if i wanted to :P if i bought the Mona Lisa and painted her red and did not resell what does it matter :*P But then again Im no artsy person...;)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

There we go.. the Artist reply.. Hope all worries are settled now :

so again I be very grateful for any help :D Nacthwulf Im so appriciative that you offered to help me. Thank you :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I take no issue then; edit away! :D

[/center]
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Colors fixed. I can't invert the pattern on the wings without spending a LOT of time repainting it, unfortunately (changing dark-on-light to light-on-dark is something I can't do without basically repainting the wings wholesale). But at least the colors should match now.
Attachments
RevisedDragon.jpg
RevisedDragon.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Wow, that recolor turned out really cool.

[/center]
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Photoshop. It's what I do. XD

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My skills definitely wouldn't let me be able to do that. :)

[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

THX so much nacht!! Its perfect! :hug:

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

If you find yourself in possession of a spare chest or two, I wouldn't say no... I've been in the coli for like the past hour and a half and have gotten ONE. Cripes. RNGeezus hates me today.