A Lesson in Conductivity - A Pinkerlocke Challenge

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: A Lesson in Conductivity - A Pinkerlocke Challenge

Unread post by Varethyn »

Days 36 & 37
ImageImage

To start with the group followed the river to the west, towards Water territory. Not much was said between them beyond Kelpie encouraging Iele's vocabulary to grow with some help from Raijin. Yue didn't much like the imperial bugging the hatchling for some reason. Something about the bigger dragon rubbed her the wrong way. Yet, why did she care? The incident would remain fresh in her mind for a long time and the blame would be put on the mirror during such. It was however, oddly, satisfying to hear the young one forming proper words and even short sentences. If only they didn't always include food, being hungry or wanting to eat. Despite that annoyance the chatter did serve to remind that their food supplies were finite - between a ravenous mirror hatchling, a half-grown imperial and an adult guardian their meat supplies were dwindling fast. Thankfully meat was plentiful in the forest next to which they walked, underfoot, in the air, in the water. It was simply a matter of catching it and enough of it to sustain them all. Yue counted her blessings for being the only one who could only eat plants and thus held the privilege of hoarding them for herself. Raijin did manage to prove himself useful here. With his lightning-fast speed and broad wings he was able to chase down and even outrun the prey, succeeding in felling a pair of rambra and grabbing several jackalopes. Even now the imperial was picking his teeth with a curved horn as they walked.

A day of travelling saw them finally reach the border, where Lightning became Water. What none of them had expected was the massive drop. Yue and Kelpie stared forlornly over the edge as the river threw itself off in an impressive waterfall, spraying foam which, in the sunlight, formed small rainbows in the sky, mesmerising Iele.

"So why'd we stop?" Raijin piped up, looking to the girls with one fluffy eyebrow raised.

Yue glared back. "Why do you think?" She unfurled her crystal-shelled wings and pointed at Kelpie's damaged one. "Unless you can carry us down there?"

Raijin studied the pair dubiously. "You, Yue, I could totally manage. Iele too. At the same time even, easy. Kelpie though, she's a different story." A completely different story. The imperial valued his strength as much as his speed but knew his limits. And a guardian almost twice his size and three times his weight was beyond his limit.

"So... how do we get down?" the jade dragon in question asked, pushing herself away from the dangerous drop and grabbing a mirror too curious for her own good. Iele in turn letting out an indignant squeak. She only wanted a better look at the sky-colours.

"We don't." Yue replied bluntly, turning tail and beginning to set off back the direction they'd come. Of course it wouldn't be that easy would it? How on Sornieth had Kelpie managed to get here?

Raijin lifted his horned head at the pearlcatcher's departure. "H-hey wait a minute, where are you going?"

"The other way."

"Yeah I can see that!" he snorted. "Why?"

"Why do you think?" The second time she'd said that in less than five minutes. He hated when she said that.

"Well, why don't we climb down?"

Yue paused, swinging her head around to fix the male with a narrow glare. "Do you see any way down that isn't vertical?"

Raijin started to protest but something made him look down again. No immediate, safe way. Insisting on being right he leapt off the edge, flaring his wings to catch the breeze and swinging around to survey the cliff they'd arrived at. It would've been so much easier if they could all just fly. The guardian he understood now, having managed to squeeze the story, begrudgingly, from Yue. Wow it sounded like it would suck to have your wing permanently broken like that. He'd broken a wing once when a trick went wrong. Didn't take long to heal thankfully. Must've been his incredible stamina and will to get the heck away from the healers that did it. But Yue... He swung around again to check the other side. Yue's wings were like his, shiny and slightly thicker than usual. It didn't bother him, so why did it bother her so much? Yeah it made him heavier than average but it only let him build up his wing muscles that much better. He considered telling her to just practice more. Then imagined that look. That damn look that seemed to make everything and everyone around her wither. Except Kelpie, who seemed oblivious to it half the time. Damn there really isn't a way down that doesn't involve sliding down on their claws is there? Defeated Rajin returned to where he'd left the girls. Except they were gone.

"Oh for the love of-!" He took off again, following the river back eastwards since that was where Yue had been going. ...Why did he think of Yue so much and not the group of girls as a whole? Any other male would've considered themselves the luckiest dragon to have landed three girls!

Two days later saw the quartet past where they'd started, following the river upstream in hopes of finding a way across. Almost the entire journey had been spent blocking out the lightningborn imperial's ranting that they could still swim across. Yue wouldn't have it. She didn't trust the weight of her wings and was not going to embarrass herself by being carried around on Kelpie's back. Besides, that spot had already been claimed by Iele, who was now yammering away about everything now that she knew what it meant. Yue wanted to rip her ears off of her head. The guardian was, for a change, the only one not irritating her in some way, being too focused on her "daughter".

They stopped for a rest at the base of a mountain aiding the river in separating Lightning from Light, once again grateful for the shorter days and for being on the edge of the wastes where it was cooler. Kelpie had sworn she'd seen a large, bat-like creature flitting between the trees on the opposite bank, only for it to have long since disappeared when the others looked. "Kelpie," Yue had said to her not unkindly but clearly frustrated, "you've been out of the water for a long time. Your brain's frying. Go take a swim." So she'd slipped into the water a short ways from where it dribbled out of a thin crack in the mountain. It was cool and wet, just as she liked it. And the current wasn't too strong here. She lay there a moment, floating despite her girth. Iele? She looked around, grinning widely upon spotting a grey shape bobbing around nearby.

"Stay close, Iele." the proud guardian called.

"I will!" Iele called back, paddling around in circles a few times then hitting the surface as hard as she could with her paws, making the water splash everywhere. She giggled. Kelpie giggled.

The others? Yue had gone, she didn't see where. The strange imperial was sulking next to the river, scales gleaming in the sunlight. Yue must've told him off again. He always did that when she got upset at him. Iele. Ahead of her, splashing away. Kelpie grinned. Anyway she didn't know much about Raijin. They hadn't spoken much. He hadn't wanted to talk to her, not saying much when she spoke to him instead. He wanted to be with Yue more. It puzzled her. It wasn't the same as when it was only the two of them. They'd needed each other. Aw how adorable, Iele's blowing bubbles. No she'd seen this in her parents at home when they got mad at each other. Dad wanted to make up and tried a lot of things. Mum didn't want to know for a long time. Maybe if Rai brought Yue gifts? Mum liked gifts, enough of the right things made her happy with dad again. Iele don't splash me in the face please. Oh wait.

"Iele dear, not in the face." she grinned, shaking her head to rid the drips threatening to run into her eyes.

"Sowwy mum." Good girl. "Mum why won't Wyshin swim too?" Wyshin? Ah she was still getting used to some words.

"'Raijin'." Kelpie corrected gently, prompting a blue head to lift and turn in her direction, ears pointing forwards. She lifted a foreleg out of the water to wave at him, sending droplets flying everywhere. "Rai, come swim!"

The imperial lay his head on the ground again. "No thanks." he grunted, clearly not in the mood for fun.

The guardian tilted her head curiously at the imperial, Iele mimicking the motion. What was wrong with swimming? Swimming washes all worries away. Was that a fish? That is a big fish. Kelpie dived, eyeing the fish coming towards them, pressing herself as flat as she could against the bottom. Waterborns could hold their breath for a long time, guardians more so. Tidelord give me the skill... The fish came closer, oblivious. Above them Iele was looking down, watching. She tried to join, didn't like the water in her eyes and resurfaced. Kelpie mentally willed her to stay put. The fish got closer...

Swift as an eel she kicked off the riverbed, launching herself at her prey, maw open wide. It panicked, turning tail to swim away. Too slow, she clamped down. Caught it by the tail. She pulled it up, breeching the surface and showing off her catch with pride. Iele cheered and began chattering about how awesome her mother was. Rai had admit, that was impressive.

"Why don't you go join them then?" Raijin jumped, scrabbling against the ground to lift himself into a sitting position, eyes darting around for the source of the voice. Yue gave him a long stare when he finally settled down. "You acted like you were doing something questionable."

"I uh, I wasn't doing... How long have you been there?"

"I've been here a few minutes now." the perturbed pearlcatcher replied dryly. "For your information there's a cave not far from here full of interesting mushrooms. I went to study them."

Three pairs of eyes, all varying shades of blue, stared at her. "Mushrooms." Raijin finally remarked, tone indescribable. "You left us, with no warning, so you could look at some mushrooms."

The red eyes stared back, unwavering. "Yes. I did. And I would very much like to go inside to study more." When there was no move or word the pearlcatcher sighed. "There might be a way through into the Light lands. Now move."

There was no arguing, she was already gone and likely wouldn't come back for them again. So they followed. "Yeesh, what's eating her goat?" the imperial sneered, put-out by the brief conversation.

"Goat? I'd like to eat a goat right now. I didn't know Yue had a goat." Kelpie exclaimed gleefully, bounding forwards to keep up with her friend.

"Uh she doesn't actually-"

"I want goat too!" Iele chimed in, dashing along to keep up with her mother.

"...you cannot be serious right now." Raijin lifted a paw to cover his face, hopping slowly along behind the girls. "You just ate a massive fish anyway!" With a roll of the eyes he picked up speed to join them, watching the mirror's hindquarters disappearing into the rocky wall, swallowed by the darkness inside. A cry rang out before he could enter.

"It's so dark! I can't see! Mum, where are you?"

Really. They haven't even taught her about her lightning powers yet? Or maybe they hadn't seen the wires hanging from the wall. Of course the Lightning flight had thought to set up a lighting system here. It might not have been on his own patrol route but even Raijin knew. He scratched rapidly against the rock with his claws until a spark flew, then placed that paw on a cable on the ground running inside the cave mouth. The static he generated activated the bulbs lining the walls, patches of shadow suddenly bursting into light to reveal the interior of the cave. He grinned triumphantly to himself, trying not to laugh at the cries of pain at the change from ahead. Followed by the sound of something shattering.

"What the-" Raijin dashed past the dazzled guardian and mirror to investigate, spotting an area of darkness that should have been lit up as well. In the gloom a shape hunched over a clump of glowing mushrooms. Broken glass lay on the ground around her. "Was that really necessary?" he demanded, putting two and two together and assuming the situation.

"Yes." Came the simple reply.

"Why?"

A pair of red eyes appeared in the murk to stare up at him. "Because this variety of fungus is bioluminescent."

"...So?"

"So I wanted to admire how it looks in the dark."

Raijin scoffed. "I thought you were from Plague, not Nature."

Yue whirled around to face the imperial face-on. "Meaning?" she hissed.

"Meaning," Raijin replied, undaunted. Or at least trying not to sound daunted, "Plague's about death and stuff. Plants is a Nature thing."

"Not necessarily." the pearlcatcher replied, clicking her tongue in annoyance. "Plague isn't just about death. It's about surviving what could've otherwise been death. Poisons, diseases, illnesses, grievous wounds, infection... this is what Plague is about. Survival."

"So why the mushrooms?"

"Because fungus can live in places other plant-life cannot. Most of it is toxic. It does one well to know what species are poisonous to them and what is edible." Her eyes narrowed. "In this case, me. Since I'm the only one here who can't eat anything that isn't plants." Yue turned her back to resume her examination of the mushroom cluster. Did the rock it was growing on just move? She poked one of the pink, shelf-like protrusions. Nothing happened. Her imagination then. That or Raijin had successfully sent her crazy.

Raijin pondered a moment. "Huh." He tapped a claw on his bearded chin. "That is kinda good info to know. So... is it?"

"Is it what?"

"Poisonous?"

"I don't know." the plagueborn ground out, clearly fed up with dealing with this. "That's why I'm studying it." They both fell silent. Occasionally Yue tapped the fungal growth experimentally. Once or twice spores floated out of the part she tapped. A small piece was ripped off and sniffed, light and careful at first, then deeply. Her tail and whiskers twitched, her head tilted. Behind her the crystalline imperial shifted, not sure what to do or say next. "Are you seriously still here?" Yue demanded, not looking up.

"I thought you wanted to get through to the Sunbeam Ruins."

"Well if this bores you that much why don't you take Kelpie and the runt outside yourself." It wasn't a question.

"Well maybe I will!" Raijin shouted, turning on his paw to find the other girls.

"Good!" Yue shouted back. Then the "rock" moved, making its way slowly towards deeper darkness. Fascinated, she followed.

While Rai and Yue were squabbling Kelpie and Iele had shaken the stars out of their eyes and now stood, blinking rapidly in the newly-lit caverns. Squinting through the glare the guardian was able to make out... not much actually. It was a cave. Not much to describe it from other caves. Made of rock. Tunnels led one way and another. The main difference was that this one had lights in it. Caves were meant to be dark. Something bumped against her leg. She looked down to see her daughter ambling about like she'd been struck in the head.

"Here Iele." Kelpie cooed, gently laying a paw over the mirror's back and pulling her over so that she was underneath her. "Stay close."

"What happen?" Iele asked, half calling up to the giant that was her mother. "My eyes hurt."

"The lights came on honey." She'd been inside the caves and labs at the lightning farm long enough to understand the difference between electrical lights and the sun thank goodness.

"Then why can't I see? Light lets you see!"

Kelpie chuckled. "Because light is brighter when you've been in the dark." Where were Yue and the weird imperial? Nudging the hatchling in the right direction the jade guardian began to move on. There were voices somewhere ahead. Was it them? The question answered itself when Raijin came striding angrily towards her, grumbling to himself. "Raijin, hi!" she said when he came close.

"Waigin, hai!" Iele echoed, grinning toothily.

Raijin grunted in response, scowling about... something. "Come on, let's get out of here." he commanded, not stopping to look at them.

Kelpie cocked her head. "What about Yue?"

"Who cares? If she'd rather stick her nose in mushrooms all day then that's just fine!" the imperial drawled irritably, tossing his head and lashing his tail. Kelpie and Iele looked at each other then fell into step behind the male, the former ducking in the smaller areas and the latter pattering around, poking her nose into various holes and otherwise getting under the other two's feet.

Silence reigned as the three wound through the twisting tunnels of the cave system save for the humming of the bulbs hanging from wall and ceiling, the air getting cooler the further in they went. It was odd, from the outside it didn't look that far to get out on the other side of the river. The river even went in, or rather out, of the mountain and they hadn't found it yet. Something glistened in the darker areas where cables hadn't been installed. Several somethings. Small and round. Something bigger flitted in the shadows. Not like the bat-thing outside. Oh hey, that bulb wasn't working. More movement, along the floor. A snake?

"Mum, I'm hungry." Iele's shrill voice warbled and echoed down the tunnel they were entering.

"Not now Iele." Kelpie replied, quieter than intended as she focused on the fluffy tail ahead of them. Raijin hadn't done or said anything. Just kept walking. Were they going the right way?

Iele groaned loudly. "But I'm hungryyyy." Too loud. Something wasn't right.

"I saw a snake." Rai's deeper voice called from ahead at last. "Why don't you catch that and shut up?"

Kelpie growled. How dare he talk to her like that! Iele was already snuffling around though, poking at holes again and checking in cracks. They split up briefly around a stalagmite growing out of the floor, reaching up to meet a stalactite hanging above it. One day they could meet and become one pillar, like many others they'd weaved around on their journey. Wait, that one looked familiar. Iele giggled from somewhere to one side, where the tunnel split into an alcove. She was patting at something thin and pointed. It twitched. She patted it again. It slipped out of sight. She growled and followed it, revealing the alcove to be bigger than first thought, the space leading behind the wall they'd been following.

"Iele, don't wander off." Kelpie warned, shooting Raijin's back a dirty look. Don't tell my daughter what to do like that. The guardian lumbered into the alcove to make sure the little mirror was doing okay hunting the snake. Something glinted. Something long. And sharp. Something else flashed a little higher. A fanged smile. Oh. That wasn't a snake.

It had gone eerily quiet after he'd told Iele to shut up. He felt bad. There was no need to vent his frustration on a kid. But Yue had been kind of a jerk when he was only trying to make a joke about it. He snorted. He'll show her, when they were out of this dumb cave. When. It felt like they were going in circles. Okay fine they were going in circles. He was hopelessly lost, no way e was going to reveal that to Kelpie and Iele though. Okay no really it was too quiet now. "Iele when I told you to shut up I didn't mean for you to-" He cut himself off as he turned to look at the youngling. Or where she should have been. Kelpie too. He was alone. "Hey!" he shouted down the passage he'd come through, probably for the third time knowing his luck. No reply. "Kelpie? Iele?" Nothing but the sound of his own voice bouncing off the rock. Crap, where were they? Raijin turned around, hurrying back the way they'd come. The snake! Where had he seen the snake? Claws scratched on stone as the imperial ungracefully tore through the caves to where he'd remembered seeing the tail. Not a colour he was familiar with, there weren't many blue snakes around here. Definitely a snake though. At least... Oh no.

As he ran he noticed up ahead that the light was dimming. Far too soon for his magic to have worn off, surely? Indeed it wasn't a case of the power running out but rather the lack of anything to power. Glass littered the floor. Someone, or something, had smashed them recently. And this time it wasn't a grumpy charcoal pearlcatcher studying fungus.

"Hello?" Raijin tried to call, the word getting stuck in his throat and falling out as a whisper. He felt like he was being watched. Cautiously he entered the alcove the girls had been investigating earlier. At least he thought they had been. Last he'd heard was Kelpie telling Iele not to wander off. He sniffed deeply, trying to pick up a scent. Not something he normally relied on. As expected nothing obvious came to him, not helped that the place stunk of wet dragon and fish brought in from Kelpie and Iele's playing in the river. Dang this hole in the wall was bigger than he thought it was. To his right came a whimper. He turned his head, something small cowering in the darkness.

"Iele?" he called softly, so not to startle her.

"W-Wraishin?" came the wobbly reply. Was she crying? He padded over, glass shards cracking and grinding underfoot. What the heck had gone on behind him while he was fuming to himself? The dark shape that was presumably Iele moved away, though not far. Peering into the gloom the teal imperial could just make out a larger shape. Much, much larger. Kelpie?

"Hey. Kelp? That you?" No reply. Iele's breath caught, making her hiccup.

"Mummy?"

Think, think! Ugh where was a lightborn when you needed one? Savagely he began dragging his claws over the cave wall, faster, faster. Something broke free, ruining the pattern. He grabbed it and threw it away with a clatter, tried again. Trying to build static. Sparks flew from his claws, briefly lighting the small area it fell. Close. He worked a little longer, running his claws over his antlers too. Focused the energy. Electricity began to arc between the tines, forming a temporary, weak light source. Yup, that dark mound was indeed Kelpie. Why was she so still?

"K-Kelpie, you didn't eat any mushrooms did you?" Why was he joking at a time like this? Yue's warnings were fresh in his mind, perhaps that was why.

Iele shook her finned head vigorously. "No 'shrooms. Only snakes. Big snakes. With big claws."

Big snakes with big claws? ...Could it be? Raijin sniffed again, closer to the fallen guardian now that he knew where she was. The electricity was wearing out, losing light. Was that blood? And something else. They needed to get her out of there yesterday. "Stand back kiddo." he warned Iele, letting the last of the electricity dissipate as he began nosing at Kelpie's side. Trying to force himself under. Damn was she heavy. "You try to find a way out. I'll... I'll follow." No really, she was heavy. "Now!" he added, louder when the mirror didn't move. It didn't feel good, the tyke was scared out of her wits. The little grey dragon nodded slowly, racing ahead. Raijin made to follow, catching a paw on the rock that had come loose from his actions. He kicked it. It skidded out into the light, a nugget of iron left behind. Wait...

Hauling himself and the unconscious Kelpie along Raijin reached out to pick up the nugget. There was something tied to it. No time to read it now else he'd break his back under the guardian's weight. Did he mention she was heavy?

"Iele?" he called. "Which way?" He strained his deer-like ears as hard as he was able, hoping to pick up her voice. Nothing at first. He groaned, heaving the waterborn along out of the alcove. Into the light. Thank Bossman, he thought. It was so close yet he'd been in the dark too long. At least it had felt that way. He started along the track he had been taking before turning around, listening for any sign of the hatchling. A squeak, a cry, a call, stones falling, something to tell him where she was. "Iele!" he tried again. This time above the rushing water he barely made out a faint "Over here!". Hang on, water? By the Stormcatcher he'd found the right passage.

Time passed painfully slowly. Literally in the painful department. Twice the imperial had to stop, letting Kelpie slide off his back and laying down, breathing hard. His back and shoulders ached something awful. There was no way he was leaving her in here though. No way. So he kept slipping under her ripple-patterned body, kept dragging her along. Kept following Iele's voice as she vocally mapped out the caves to him. The river was behind them now. He had stopped there to let Kelpie lay in the water, hoping that her element would revitalise her. No joy there clearly.

"Near'y there!" the mirror called from far ahead. Good. Not much further. Yes, that was fresh air he could feel on his face. Spurred on by the proximity of the exit the imperial made one huge effort, dragging them both towards, through, beyond the hole in the mountain. Gasping for breath and aching all over now he let Kelpie slip off one last time. It was evening, still some natural light to check her in. With Iele sat a short way away at his behest Raijin began to inspect Kelpie's smooth hide for injuries. Nothing, nothing, nothing... he carefully rolled her over. Nothing, nothing... freaking huge gash in her side. And it looked nasty. That is to say the gash itself was a clean cut, done professionally. What was nasty was the festering skin around it.

Poison. And not the fungal variety. Kelpie was dying.

"You had one job, Raijin! One job!" Yue was frantic, tearing off the linen that had been around her chest, wings and tail, exposing the last of the crystal shards she'd broken free of. There was nowhere near enough of it to go all the way around Kelpie's body, even with the extras that had been stashed in the satchel. So the pearlcatcher lay it over the wound as best as she was able. Having gotten her fill of the walking fungus, which she later found out was a giant salamander-like reptile covered in the stuff, she'd allowed herself to find her way through the caves. It wasn't hard to navigate the winding paths and split passages. All you needed to do was listen for the water and the scent of fresh air and you'd be fine. What she found on the other side was not at all what she'd expected: Kelpie sprawled out on the floor, a gaping wound on her side, the skin mottled and swollen, oozing. Her breath was shallow, all they needed to know that she was still alive. Barely, but alive. Yue worked hard; the first thing she did after seeing it was scout the immediate area, moving further and further before returning with sprigs of different plants. Then two rocks, one bigger than the other. The plants were laid on the bigger rock, then smashed and ground under the smaller one. She rolled the small rock around, crushing every part of the plants into a paste which she then scraped off and daubed on the festering flesh. The action had to be repeated in order to cover the entire wound and she wasn't convinced she had everything she needed.

As she worked Raijin sat by the edge of the river, appearing to be staring into it. Iele huddled next to him, peeking out from under a jade wing at her unmoving mother. He had offered to help Yue with the ointment she was attempting to recreate, only to be contused in the face for it. Not a "no thanks". Not a "go away". A freaking contuse blast. In the face. So he slunk away to give her space, taking Iele with him so she wouldn't be a bother either.

"You plan to sulk there for the rest of the day?" His whiskers twitched. He didn't look up to regard the pearlcatcher. "Do I need to blast you again?" Yue demanded, forcing herself into his view. He still didn't look up, intent on what lay at his claws. Yue frowned then looked down herself, about to try to figure out what was so amazing about the river at this point. Except it wasn't the river he was looking at. His wing moved as Iele shifted beneath it, slipping around to stare up at the grey-ish pearlcatcher with four damp blue eyes. "What is this?"

Raijin picked up the piece of parchment that had been tied to the nugget and handed to her. "Someone wanted her dead." he summarised as she scanned the words.

"But why?" she asked no one in particular, letting the strip fall to the grass. "What did she ever do to be... targeted like this?"

He shook his head sadly. "I should be the one asking you that, you know her better. But since you don't know either..." He finally lifted his gaze to catch hers, glanced over at the unconcious guardian, then back again. "Will she...?"

"I don't know." she replied honestly. Too honestly. "I did what I could. I don't even know if it'll have any effect on the serthis venom. All we can do is wait."

Raijin let his gaze drop to Iele, who had flopped sadly on the ground. Poor thing was beyond crying now, shedding enough tears for all three of them until there were none left. He nuzzled her. She looked up at him, weakly nuzzled back then lay her head on her paws. Yue was staring out at nothing now. It was too quiet dammit. "Plague's all about survival, right?"

She snorted. "So you are capable of listening." She turned to him. "What about it?"

"Then Kelp should survive. Because she has you."

"It doesn't work that way."

"You never know."

She snorted again, falling silent and gazing into space once more. He wished he knew what was going through her mind. Minutes slipped by, flowing along with the river's current. No one spoke. Raijin yawned and stretched, unfurling his wing to let it touch Yue...

"Don't even think about it."

Damn, so close.

---
I got heads on the coin toss and...
FFFFFFFFFFFFF- Too close Kelpie, too freaking close. The random number generator had picked Kelpie, Iele and Raijin as the team which made me nervous, expecting Rai to be the one to come close to dying since I have to take them through the venue suiting the highest level dragon. Instead Kelpie was the one to get a crit to the face. Pretty sure I used up 20-odd potions over all though. Big thanks to Falcon for her potion donation :hug: Raijin is now level 8.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Geez, that was way too close. Poor Kelpie. D: When I realized that the 'blue snake' wasn't merely a snake, my first thought was "Crap.." That aside, I've got plenty more potions should you ever need them, and how this entry ended amused me so. Oh, Raijin, you've gotta be more subtle and sneakier than that, this is Yue, after all. XD These characters are all so awesome. ♥
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Here there be dragons...

ImageImage
ImageImage

Not related to anything to do with the Pinkerlocke challenge, I just felt like drawing the team :) I also took a little time to spruce up the first two posts. Do let me know if you like the new layout :hug:
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh i like the new layout and the drawings

The graveyard is both a somber and lovely idea!! Kelpie you stay away from there you hear me!!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 39
ALL RIGHT. Let's get this show on the-
...Oh.
THAT'S OKAY IT COULD BE-
Heads.
...Oh. Well, time to go fight-
...Oh.
Welcome back everyone. I'll, uh... I'll be over there. Crying into my pillow.

NOTE: Yue will be up for adoption BUT NOT YET. There is something that must be done...
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh no Yue!!! Why ohh why.. :(
:hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

No!! Poor Yue

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 40

Okay guys I admit, I'm cheating a little here and in more ways than one. I didn't really get an apparel drop today but I did before I took a break and this is something I've been wanting to do since. I bred Yue and Raijin. Yup Yue is technically dead at this point but I'd hate myself if this didn't go through. Please forgive me for this, I promise not to make a habit of bending rules for personal ideals. I also kinda actually already bred them yesterday so as to get Yue out as quickly as possible.

I think it was worth it.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Defo worth it... and i dont see it as cheating as you had an apparel before in your break period so :D See your mail on Varethyn for me being silly :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 41

“Yue... could you-”

“We've been over this.” The pearlcatcher in question interjected, cutting off the imperial's question. “Not that we even should have to begin with.” Seriously, she was less than half his size. Even at the stage of growth Raijin was at now he was the only one capable of lifting Kelpie at all. Physical growth that is. Mentally Yue liked to believe she was the eldest.

“It's not that.” the jewelled dragon replied, too exhausted to stage a full on protest. “She won't... she's been mumbling something about Tidecaller and it's creeping me out.” Yue's ears, formally high and alert, slowly fell against the sides of her head. “She's been going on like this since we left the river.”

Three days had passed since the incident. Since the guardian had been targeted by the serthis. During that time the plagueborn pearlcatcher had worked tirelessly in gathering herbs and berries for the salve she'd been applying to Kelpie's wound. So far there had been little progress. Whatever venom the snake-thing had stabbed her with was preventing it from healing properly. The only glint of hope was that the skin and exposed muscle didn't look nearly as bad as it had. Still swollen, still red and angry, definitely painful. But not excruciating. At least that's what Yue wanted to believe.

The reason for leaving was a simple, potentially dire one: no more plants needed for the salve grew in close enough proximity to where they'd been. Already they'd been ground up into the fine paste immediately layered over the wound. There had never been enough to keep aside for later. Every single stem and petal and berry now glistened on jade scales and pinkish flesh. They had to move on in order to find more. They'd barely rested since.

Every time Yue found a sprig of anything useful she'd jumped on it, disappearing into the brush in search of more. During that time Raijin allowed himself the relief of rolling the female waterborn onto the ground, rolling his shoulders and shaking out his aching neck and wings. Every time he did so a little stone-coloured shape would appear at her snout, licking and poking. It was distressing to watch. Kelpie wasn't responding to anything. Water in her face or her mouth, food, Iele crawling all over... the guardian remained limp. The only sign she was alive was her laboured breathing and the constant whispering.

“Tidecaller... not yet... I don't want to go... Tidecaller... Iele needs me... I don't want to be exalted yet Tidecaller... I want to be with my friends...”

Raijin wanted nothing more than to stuff his ears until he couldn't hear her any more. The question had arisen during the trek more than once: What is exaltation? None of them really knew. Yue thought she'd been exalted to Stormcatcher already by being abandoned in the Shifting Expanse by her family. He'd heard two of his brothers had been exalted to Lightweaver and Plaguebringer respectively. He didn't know why, only that they never came back.

“Rai? Who is Tai-caller?” A small voice squeaked up at him, bringing the lightningborn imperial out of his thoughts. He stared at the small mirror, who was clutching something - a piece of coral presumably brought down from the Water lands by the current. No, not as small. Iele had grown a bit on their adventure, he noted. Not by much but noticeably so. Despite that the mirror was still a hatchling. Oblivious to life, the world... death.

“Tidecaller.” Raijin corrected, looking away and lifting his gaze to the sky. Seconds ticked by as his whiskers twitched, thinking of the best way to explain. Why did it have to be him? He sighed, arcing his long neck to peer at the mirror again. Might as well go for the plain version. “The land is split into eleven pieces. Each piece of land is owned by a Deity, who gives that land its magic element. We were born in the Shifting Expanse, the Lightning land, owned by the Stormcatcher. Or “Bossdad” as some call him.” Raijin snorted a chuckle. He'd used the term a few times himself without truly knowing why. “The land of water, he continued, “is owned by Tidecaller.”

Iele cocked her head as she listened, not fully understanding. “The Day-tees owns the land?”

“In a way, yes.”

“What does that mean?”

Dammit why.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Her feet pounded against the grass as hard as her heart pounded in her chest. Panic was setting in. Hours had already passed with no sign of a viable herb. Yue cursed her limited knowledge on the flora and fauna of these lands, the lands of Light. There was every chance she was surrounded by the most revitalising plant anyone could ever hope for and she wouldn't have a clue it existed. Gritting her flat teeth the pearlcatcher ran, ignoring the aching in her legs.

Why do you care? A persistent voice that swam in her mind, constantly asking. Why travel with these idiots? Why not go about your own life without such burdens? It would be so easy to leave them behind...

Yue growled. I owe her my life. She hated admitting it but it was true. Basilisks or not Kelpie had saved her from being torn apart. A life for a life. That would all be in vain if she couldn't find anything to save her with.

The cave. Those mushrooms in the cave.

She stopped, caught off-guard by her own thoughts. Yes! She'd seen a species commonly eaten as an anti-toxin! Except... no. What if the assassin was still there? None of them had any idea why they'd been targeted in the first place.

For Kelpie.

A groan worked it's way up her long neck and out of her mouth. She really, really didn't want to risk it. What other choice was there? Leave the others and flee like a coward or keep searching for who-knows-how-long for who-knows-what and risk the guardian dying. No. Not acceptable. Yue made her way southward towards the river. She could find the cave that way.

After an indeterminate amount of time the plagueborn finally picked her way back to the cave they'd previously traversed. She paused before entering, long whiskers twitching with uncertainty. What if the serthis was still inside? Would they care that it wasn't their target? ...Was Kelpie not their only target? Tentatively she stepped forwards, feeling the cool air coming from inside.

Whether they are or not, she scolded herself, I need to get those mushrooms. Still she paused, rocking back and forth on her paws as if to move, legs refusing to carry her. Begrudgingly Yue stepped back again, glaring at the hole in the cliff-side as if it was the offending matter. Instinct made her roll her pearl across the ground so that it was level with her face and she sat to regard it. All of her past memories swirled within the pearly sheen. She touched it, pulling up the better ones she shared with Kelpie. Lumbering and oblivious as she is the guardian had proved to be a worthy travelling companion after all. And she saved me. Yue repeated. Lifting the pearl in her dexterous front paws she parted her dark jaws and allowed the mucous to run out. Another memory. Another layer.

Feeling a bit better from the action Yue, once the pearl had dried and was returned to its satchel, took the steps necessary to cross into the dark caves. Feeling her way through the path taken from before came to mind quickly. This allowed her to pick out the route to the alcoves she'd found the various species of fungus growing inside, including the salamanders. Samples were taken from each; some were chewed experimentally and the best were stashed in the satchel. Each variety would help in some way. There was a particular kind of blue mushroom she was interested in however.

Here! This looked familiar. Uncomfortably close to where Kelpie was attacked as it turned out. The smashed glass was sign of that. Yes, right around the corner. They should be here. And indeed they were. A good, large cluster of truffle used in food as anti-toxins. Wait... Something wasn't right. Why were they releasing so many spores? Not right at all. These mushrooms weren't supposed to have any extreme side-effects. Why did she... why was it so cold? The spores... Yue let out a hacking cough. She felt like her insides were freezing. Why? Why?

Kelpie.

Every inch of her ached as if she'd been lost in the Southern Icefields during a freak snowstorm. But she had to get the fungus to Kelpie. Before... before it was too late. Desperately Yue snatched a large clump of truffles and then turned on her paws, literally leaping out of the passage to get away. Her eyes itched furiously, her throat was burning. The river. The river was close. In pain the pearlcatcher followed the scent of fresh water to the pond and shoved her whole head in, taking deep gulps. It didn't help. She washed her eyes vigorously. It was so warm last time. Why did it feel like it was winter? Another round of coughing. Blood flecked on the stone. No... No! She knew. She knew the serthis were still here! Why did she come back in here? There could have been truffles elsewhere, untouched. Untouched... quickly she dumped the blue fungus on the floor and stomped on it hard, destroying it. What she'd foraged up should work as well. Her eyes hurt badly now, her breathing hindered. Get out, get out, get out...

What he found was not at all what he was expecting. It had been hours since Yue had left to forage herbs, so long that he'd gotten worried. It didn't feel good to leave Kelpie alone in her state with only Iele at her side. She'd been gone far too long though. Before leaving he'd washed Kelpie's wound and replaced the wrapping of course. Gotta do something at least after all. Raijin silently thanked his skill in flying for finding Yue. The idea of the cave hadn't crossed his mind initially so spotting the greyish lump laying outside of it was a shock. Tipping a green wing the imperial spiralled down to the ground.

“Yue?” he called, landing nearby. “Yue? Are you okay?” His whiskers lifted when no reply came. Lowering his head Raijin walked over to the fallen dragon. Still breathing, no sign of being hurt. What happened? Maybe she just ran herself out of energy. Yeah, that had to be it right? No stupid snake-things stalking them, right?

“Yue... Yue please...” he scooped the female up in one arm, carefully pulling her close. Damn she felt cold. As if the natural heat in her body had been sucked out. She stirred, mumbling. Nothing intelligible. His face fell. Placing her gently on the ground again the teal imperial began digging out a small pit. That done he gathered a good amount of loose twigs and dry leaves, dumping them in the dip. Last he grabbed a pair of rocks which he began, awkwardly propped on his elbows, striking against one another. Sparks flew. Nothing happened. He tried again, adding his own static. Better but nothing caught. He growled, pushing himself closer to the woodpile and tried again. There! A fire started. Gently he pulled Yue closer to the flames.

“...Where am I?”

Success! Raijin flopped onto the ground next to her. “Hey. Take it easy. Looks like you really pushed yourself hard looking for herbs and stuff. You should...” he trailed off as the pearlcatcher weakly lifted her head, revealing puffy, yellowed eyes. It didn't look like she could see well. “Um... Yue? What happened?”

She tried to speak, her words replaced by a bout of violent coughing. Blood flew from her mouth at each action, causing Raijin's blue eyes to widen in shock. When it came to an end she took a ragged breath, reaching for the faded gold satchel at her side and tugging at it. Raijin helped her when it didn't budge. He looked inside.

“Mushrooms?”

“F-for... Kelpie... Make her... make her... eat the... blue ones... They'll... neutralise the poison...” Yue's red eyes flickered dangerously, unfocused. They closed for alarming lengths only to open again. The pattern repeated with the length of time they remained closed getting longer each time. "Crush the... pink ones. Sprinkle... on the... wound."

“Yue no... please don't act like this!” Dropping the bag Raijin pulled her as close to his body as he could, in turn shuffling them both as close to the make-shift fire as he dared. Why was she so cold? “Speak to me! What happened?”

The pearlcatcher stirred in his embrace, pulling a weak foreleg out from the grip and laying it over his, curling her fingers over the hardened scales. “I can't... can't hold on.” her voice was barely above a whisper. Tears streamed from her eyes. Rai's own slid down his muzzle, dripping from his snout to join hers. “Serthis... they knew... poisoned the mushrooms... Freezing... it's so cold...”

Serthis! Stormcatcher damn them! Arms, legs, neck, tail, wings... all folded over the charcoal-coloured dragon. Hold on Yue. Just hold on. You'll get better. You just need to rest. Raijin tried to say to her. All that come from his mouth was a racking sob that shook them both.

“...Pathetic.” Yue said simply, forcing a smile. “You were always... so... pathetic...” Whether she was unable to bring herself to admit it, or it was from the final effects of the poison, Yue was unable to voice one last thought: for once in her life, she was... happy. One of her biggest fears, though she never would've admitted it, was dying alone. Until Kelpie and Raijin came into her life that is. And though she'd only known them for a short time she knew that they loved her, and this made a part of her feel at ease. One last time the narrow red eyes slid shut. And this time they didn't open again. Her grip on his foreleg loosened. A rattle escaped her throat. Her body fell limp.

“Y...Yue?” Raijin choked out, using a claw to brush her obsidian mane off of her face, tracing the feather-like pattern around her eye. No response. “Yue!” He shook her gently. Then harder. Then harder still. Tears ran freely down his cheeks.

A remorse-filled cry boomed across the forest. Yue was dead.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 42

Double-post cos it took so long to get the chapter written, along with being out most of the day and tired for the rest D: Anyway this is Antheraea, a dragon I'd planned to bring in before the break. He was gifted to me by a friend and his appearance couldn't have come at a better time :hug:
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Man that was a hard read...i actually cried in rl. You write smazingly well!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 43

WARNING: SAD. BRING TISSUES AND SOMETHING/SOMEONE TO HUG.

Days had passed. How many was anyone's guess. No one had paid attention to the flow of time aside from whether it was light enough to hunt or dark enough to sleep. Even that didn't always happen as the heavy blanket of loss weighed down on the world. It never occurred to anyone just what they'd had until this point. A small band of dragons who barely knew each other. Who'd have though that the passing of any of them would be this hard?

Taking it hardest of all of them was Raijin. The large imperial had said nothing since his return. What was there to say? After that... After what he'd witnessed. After Yue's death to the serthis' poison he'd remained in place for a further few hours, cradling the still form of the pearlcatcher. It hadn't been long and yet they'd created a bond between one another. Something she'd refused to admit vocally yet made obvious in the way she'd looked at him. Once dry of tears Raijin had lifted the charcoal body, carrying her into the trees.

He knew she'd gone this way. He could tell by all the plucked flowers and plants littering the undergrowth. Plants, he guessed, that wouldn't help her. He'd never been interested in making things out of plants. At the same time it was pretty amazing what could come out of it, he supposed. Case in point, healing salve for Kelpie. Somewhere up ahead came the sound of claws on stone, a magical blast followed by stone crumbling and a cry of rage. Yup, she was definitely here. And she wasn't happy. Raijin took a breath in preparation then sauntered over to the site. The pearlcatcher lay against a slab of sorts with more appearing behind it as he got closer. Different formations. Ruins perhaps? Lightweaver's domain was littered with them so it wasn't surprising.

“Hey Yue.” the imperial called as casually as possible as he moved to join her. Risky move, contuse blasts
hurt, but he needed to know what was eating her.

Almost immediately another magical blast shot past his head, making him stop. “Go away.” the plagueborn growled. “I don't need you right now.”

Raijin blinked, then continued walking towards her. “Look I can easily tell you're upset. I was wondering if you wanted to-”

“No I do
not want to talk.”

“It'll make you feel-”

“I said NO!”

Another contuse blast followed, barely missing the lightningborn's face. He snorted at this and turned back the way he came. “Fine, go destroy the ruins out of anger. See how I care!” And with that he pushed into the trees again without waiting for an answer. Stupid pearlcatcher and her stupid lone wolf stance on life. If only she'd actually sit down and talk about her problems then she wouldn't be in this stupid state! He flopped onto the ground, clawing at the ground with his forepaws to relieve some stress. Was it because he was an imperial and she was a pearlcatcher? He'd figured that the stupid “Mother made me first/Mother loves me best” argument didn't mean anything to her. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

“Hey.”

Raijin looked up from the grooves he was making to give Yue a greatly displeased look. She returned the gesture. “Oh so
now you want to talk.” the teal dragon ground out, returning his attention to the motion of his claws.

“Yes. Now I want to talk.” Yue replied, slowly picking her way through the leaf litter to join the male. “I assume you have nothing wrong with that?” She sat down next to him anyway to his irritation.

He heaved a sigh. “I guess I don't have a choice.”

For a while neither spoke. The only sounds were the leaves dancing in the light breeze that had picked up recently and the birds singing in the trees nearby. At least those birds who didn't mind massive lizards crashing through their homes.

It was Yue who broke the silence. “I'm sorry.” Raijin looked down at her with concern. Her voice was strained and quiet. Not like her at all. “I'm a failure.”

That statement shocked the crystal dragon more than a lightning bolt striking a lemming. “The hell are you talking about?”

“I can't find anything that will help her. Nothing I'm using is helping her. I don't even know if anything here would help her.” Her long tail lashed behind them, hitting bush and tree and imperial alike. “I'm... I'm afraid she'll die because I can't help her.”

The long blue neck coiled around so that his nose was inches away from her own. “Now what kind of crap is that?” Rai demanded in both shock and annoyance. Did she eat a bad mushroom along the way? Nothing she was saying sounded like it should be coming from her mouth. “No way are you a failure. If you're a failure then I'm worse than a failure. You're doing so much for Kelpie right now, way more than I could possibly think of doing. If you hadn't done anything at all she'd be dead already. You're not a failure, got that?”

Surprised by the outburst Yue allowed herself to stare into Raijin's eyes, her own puffy from the crying she'd tried to hide when he'd walked in on her. She saw his gaze soften at seeing that. And, for the first time in a long time, she smiled. “Thank you.”

He'd kept walking, carefully cradling the smaller dragon in one forelimb. Through the forest. Past the place she'd finally let herself open up. Where she had cried freely and allowed him to hold her. The claw marks he'd made and the flattened grass where they had laid. It had only been a few days before. It might as well have been an eternity. Raijin kept going, deeper, deeper into the trees. The stone Yue had been attacking came into view, went past, was left behind. The rubble made from the blast ignored, stepped over as if it wasn't there at all. There was somewhere he needed to go. Somewhere special.

Nothing else mattered right now. Not Kelpie. Not Iele. They should have mattered. Kelpie was sick and dying. Iele was just a kid who didn't know how to look after herself let alone her adoptive mother. Yet he kept going. He'd go back to them later. This needed to be done first. And only in that place. There was something else there that needed his attention more.

”Did I ever tell you why I'm here?”

“Duh, cos we're helping Kelpie go home to see her family again.”

Yue shot him a look.
That look. He hated that look. “No you dolt, why I, me, this singular pearlcatcher, is spending her time wondering around a desert, a cave full of mushrooms and a forest with a bunch of weirdos.”

“I don't believe you did.” he replied with an edge of defiance. How was he supposed to know that was what she meant? “So why are you wondering around a desert, a cave full of mushrooms and a forest with a bunch of weirdos?”

She snorted. It wasn't clear if it was amusement or irritation. Possibly both. “I should have been in the Scarred Wasteland. Around the Wyrmwound. Why my parents decided to nest there, Plaguebringer knows. They didn't seem to realise that living in the Plaguelands would make dragons ill in some way. Crystallisation for instance. Dragons don't seem to realise that it's an ailment, a mutation.”

Raijin stared at her in confusion, waving a paw at her. “Um hey, I have crystal scales too and I'm not ill.”

“I guess it isn't always.” Yue relented with uncertainty. “I don't understand it. When I was born it started off similar to gembond. The gems grew until they encased my entire body. I couldn't move, couldn't talk. I had to be fed by others and even that got difficult. Then I couldn't breathe properly...” The seraph-patterned pearlcatcher slowed her walking as her thoughts flew to the events only mere months earlier. “My parents were scared for me. Didn't know what to do. My mother was from Lightning and decided it would be a good idea to take me somewhere for electrotherapy or something thinking it would help me. Well it did, the scales cracked enough for me to move again. But you know what they did then?”

“They... celebrated?” Rai offered, not understanding where this was going.

Another snort, this one harsher. “Hardly. They abandoned me, Rai. Left me in that Deity-forsaken laboratory as fast as they could.”

“But why?” the imperial blurted, aghast. What kind of dragons would willingly leave their clearly beloved child like that?

“Survival of the fittest. That's the motto of the Wasteland.” Yue hung her head, glowering at nothing. “As soon as they realised that they fled, thinking they'd broken the rule of the Plaguebringer. Cowards.”

“I had no idea, Yue. I'm so sorry.”

“Psht, don't. I got over it fast.” She shook her neck, spots of the dwindling light that managed to find their way through the intertwining branches and leaves danced in her dark, shiny mane. Flecks of white, orange and green decorated the tree trunks. She went silent. Raijin looked at her. Something was still bothering her it seemed. She continued before he could ask. “I've been alone since. My parents abandoned me. The scientists in the lab tossed me out once I was able to walk on my own. None of the dragons I met around the settlement wanted anything to do with me. I had no choice but to live by myself in the desert.” The charcoal pearlcatcher glared at the ground. “That was fine, I told myself. If it was survival of the fittest then I'd survive in the desert as the fittest. Then Kelpie bumbled her way into my life along with a fae with a similar condition to my own.”

A fae? “I don't think I had the pleasure of meeting-”

“She died.”

“...Oh.”

A pause.

“I... wasn't happy to have company.” Yue continued bitterly. “It would ruin the point of my goal. To survive. Alone. Then Flora was killed during a stampede at a watering hole. I guess... that helped me realise that having someone else would help after all. Except that I felt like Kelpie's keeper with her being so weird all the time.” Her glare softened as sadness took over. “And now that I really need to look out for her I feel helpless.”

“Well you shouldn't.” Raijin told her gently. This wasn't the first time she'd gone back to this since the first time she admitted her concerns. “You're doing a great job. ...And you're not alone. You don't need to be alone any more.” Why did he say that? There was no reason to say that. He hadn't even thought that. So why did he say that?

Yue shot him a look somewhere between slyness and confusion. What exactly was this doofus implying? He'd gone oddly quiet after that. At the same time she had nothing to counter it with. The two of them remained in this state of awkward silence, stood now in the middle of the remains of some kind of ancient city. Both wanted to say something but neither could bring themselves to. Until...

“Rai-”

“Yue-”

They stared at each other, surprised at the unity in which they'd addressed one another. He smiled. She smiled. Nothing more needed to be said. As night drew over the ruins the pair of dragons slipped into the shadows of a crumbling building.

And it was this fallen building at which he now stood. The place where they'd cemented their bond so painfully recently. It felt right that it would be here, where the magic happened, that she should lay. Where she was at her happiest. As silent and steady as the stone around him Raijin entered the ruin, retracing his steps as he'd join Yue in sweet unity. Twigs used as bedding for that night snapped underfoot. Carefully he placed the pearlcatcher on the ground and began to dig. He did not stop until he was satisfied at the depth, at which point he climbed out, picked up the body and lay her one last time in the newly excavated grave. He climbed out one more time and sat at the lip, looking down at Yue. She seemed so peaceful laying there. As if she were simply sleeping. One final tear escaped a blue eye, sliding down the crystalline muzzle and dripping off to land under hers. Then he filled the grave, covering his mate.

Yes... mate. One final task. Right next to where he'd buried Yue Raijin slowly dug at another, smaller fresh pile of earth. The soil fell away, revealing what he was looking for. Four eggs. Four, round, pearly white eggs not yet imbued with elemental energy. He took them one by one and placed them on top of the grave, coiled himself around them and slept. The family together. One final time.

Goodbye Yue. May you live on in the life we created here.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Soo sad... and so beautiful written.

Goodbye Yue :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 44

He awoke to a bright flash. The sudden brightness stung even through his closed eyelids, causing the imperial to jump and blink repeatedly. A storm? There wasn't any rain and the thunder was taking a long time to rumble. The lanky imperial stood, shaking out his green mane. Static in the air made it spike in random directions. That was uncomfortable dammit. Reoriented Raijin peered out at the ruins surrounding this place. In his sleep-muddled brain everything seemed normal. He blinked again in attempt to clear his eyes of the gunk that developed there. It was dawn, the sun still low and hazy. It had rained during the night as given away by a light fog and the sweet smell of dew on grass. He took a deep breath, relishing the freshness.

Then he remembered why he was there and his life came crashing back down. Slowly the serpentine dragon turned to observe his work from the night before. Not the prettiest sight but it would do. If only he had something to lay next to it. Then his eyes moved to what was on top of it.

The eggs.

They'd started to develop a soft yellowish colour from the land they lay in. Raijin's whiskers twitched curiously, wondering if this would have made her happy. A pang of sorrow stabbed him in his chest. Nope, avoiding Yue's name wasn't helping. He furrowed his brow and closed his eyes. Don't cry. She'd hit you if you cried. ...Oh Stormcatcher damn it. Air flooded his lungs as he took in a deep, deep breath to steady himself. Then he moved to pick up the eggs, the intention being to place them in the satchel Yue had carried with her along with her pearl. He'd had trouble deciding whether he should have buried that too, ultimately deciding that, corny as it may be, he wanted to keep her memories with him.

Something made him stop. A deer-like ear twitched backwards. There was something here. The lightning magic. Was this the source of it? He held still. The world around him was still. Too still. The birds were quiet. Nothing was moving. Something was very, very wrong. Tentatively Raijin pretended to continue what he was doing.

Behind him something moved. Something long and reptilian. Too big to be a regular snake. The imperial paused again. The not-snake paused too. Sharp teeth revealed themselves as a snarl split the gemlike lips. A deep growl reverberated up his throat.

“No.” he whispered seemingly to no one. “I won't let you.” Making use of the lingering magical energy in the air Raijin charged up his own, combining the power together into on spell that he focused into his claws. Then he spun around, claws outstretched. “I won't let you!” he roared, leaping at the serthis that had sneaked inside. With snakelike reflexes she slipped out of the way of the attack, lifting twin sabres defensibly in front of her.

“Clever.” she hissed, a poisonous smile on her thin lips as she regarded the giant. “Very clever.” Pulling her coils into a corner the snake-creature lifted herself into a more comfortable attacking position. “I don't know you knew I was here but I'll make sure no one else finds out!” Using the force of her coiled body she threw herself spring-like at Raijin, blades flashing in the growing light. Something dripped down their edges, the liquid glinting in the sun.

Agilely Raijin dodged the oncoming attack aimed at his chest. A good target for a small offender. Then again he supposed his entire body would be one massive target. If those blades so much as cut his flesh the poison would seep in and he'd be no better than Kelpie. And this time there was no one to clean the wounds or neutralise the venom.

The assassin lashed out again, too fast. He moved out of the way again, barely. It was too cramped in here for a fight. Raijin growled, not fond of the idea of exposing his back end by getting outside. What other choice was there? So he leapt for the entrance. Something touched the pad of a hind foot. Didn't cut. He lashed his tail on the way out, hoping it would hit. Success – his tail itself didn't connect but the tuft of fur at its tip did. A muffled curse was thrown at him as the serthis was swatted back.

This was better. Plenty of space to move around. Plus he could fly if he needed to. The thought stuck in his mind. Fly, avoid this fight. Then a more urgent thought pushed it aside. The eggs! The eggs were still inside along with Yue's pearl. No chance he was leaving without those. He rounded on the entrance to the building, goading the assassin into coming out with him.

She followed. Time and again she lunged at the imperial, slashing with her blades and ducking down whenever he lashed out at her. Once he managed to knock her over with his large wings. A bad move as it turned out. Who'd have thought such a small creature would be so damn hard to hit? They were at a stalemate if this kept up. Neither side had a true advantage over the other. Neither wanted to back down.

Raijin wanted his eggs. The serthis wanted him dead.

Rai shook his mane again, the previous static making it stick to his body. Stupid dew. If only it hadn't rained... Wait! That's it! He grinned at the snake, who gave him a look of outrage. “What are you planning, lizard?” she demanded, readying another attack.

“Something shocking.” came the reply. Sparks flew as the lightningborn charged his electricity again. But he didn't move. The serthis stared a moment then threw her head back and laughed.

“What is this? Your magic show doesn't mean anything to me. Why waste your energy channelling it into...” Then it hit her and her eyes widened. The dew. And she'd been rolling in it. It clung to her, dampening her hair, her clothes. She was a giant lightning conductor.

“You won't be killing another of my friends or family, monster.” Raijin spat, then unleashed his spell into the sodden ground. Electricity arced from dewdrop to dewdrop until it shot into the serthis' body, who let out an ear-splitting scream as she was seared from the inside out. A blackened husk fell to the ground. Panting heavily from the exertion the crystal imperial watched warily in case the creature was pulling some kind of trick. When she didn't move save for the spasms from the electric jolts still in her body he risked coming closer. Poked her. Picked her up and threw her.

Dead. Sweet revenge. A roar of triumph erupted from his jaws, wings flared and body poised. It might not have been the only one but it was one less. One with intentions to kill. He took the red scarf she had been wearing, wrapping it around his own neck. A warning to any others who might be following him.

“Impressive.”

Raijin whirled around, expecting another serthis. It wasn't. Instead a white skydancer garbed in faded red rags sat calmly on top of the building the grave was housed in. A golden satchel bulging with five round objects next to him. His blue eyes sparked with interest. “Who are you?” the imperial demanded, moving to fly on to the building himself. “What are you doing with that?!”

“This?” The skydancer motioned at the pack with a pink wing. A wing patterned like a butterfly's. “Do not fear, I was protecting it.”

“Protecting it how?”

Four long antennae waved in an invisible breeze, picking up the emotions emanating from the other dragon. Such anger. Such sadness. Such devotion. “Your method of combating the serthis was a genius one.” the bird-like dragon replied in his annoyingly calm tone. A hint of amusement pulled at his lips. “But it was also foolish. You could have destroyed your own eggs doing that.”

Realisation slapped Raijin in the face. He backed down feeling terrible. Wait. “How did you know about this?” He asked suspiciously. Could it be? Was this dragon the one responsible for all of this? It was too convenient. The timing. Him knowing what Rai was going to do, where the eggs were. “Tell me!”

Coolly the skydancer chuckled, adjusting the worn, pointed hat on his head. A spider ran down its side. He plucked it off and ate it. “Your emotions betray you, imperial. I am not the one you seek.” With a talon he plucked the satchel, flared his wings and gracefully glided down to land in front of the raging serpent. Casually yet gingerly he lay the pack at his feet and backed away, head held in a mocking bow. He jumped as a spark bit his claw, his grin fading. Perhaps not the best time for charades. “Very well I shall be level with you.” the white dragon drawled. “The truth is I've been watching the four of you since you entered the forest.”

“What?”

The skydancer seated himself on the ground, not bothered by the damp. “Believe it or not, I live here. I was like you once, a pawn sent to observe the unnecessary. I flew far afield for reasons unknown to myself. A job is a job however and the admins required results.” He cocked his head, fixing Raijin with beady light-blue eyes. Another lightningborn. “On my flights to and from my objectives I found myself intrigued by the workings of Nature dragons. That is to say their connection to plant and animal life. I wished to study it, shrugging off my responsibilities of those inane observations.” A claw waved dismissively. “I studied. I learned. I could never become the druid I was intrigued by. However I am close. A “hedge wizard” if you must.” The term was spoken with revile, clearly a one he disliked.

“And what exactly does a “hedge wizard” do?” Raijin asked pointedly. Impatience for the truth was setting in and his claws still itched from the excitement of the battle. It would be easy to pounce on and strangle the scrawny bird.

“Basically I specialise in the uses of herbs and charms for healing.” The stupid grin came back. He knew, didn't he? “I prefer the title of herb-doctor.”

The air crackled violently. Raijin's eyes flashed with inner power and he arced his back, readying himself for a charge. “You know how to heal.” he spat. “You've been watching us ever since we came here. You knew those assassins were after us. And yet you did nothing to help us?!” He feinted an attack, causing the skydancer to back off further though not out of fear.

“I wanted to see what you would do.” The skydancer explained. “I don't do to well around others these days you see. And with you already being targeted by the serthis it seemed unwise to approach for this exact reason.” His antennae wavered quickly, picking up on every emotion. “I was impressed by the pearlcatcher's expertise. As such I found it unnecessary to step in. Such a pity she had to die.”

Another false attack, more threatening this time. The skydancer retreated to the relative safety of the building's roof. “A pity? A pity?!” Raijin bellowed furiously. “I loved her! She loved me! We made these eggs together! A pity doesn't come close!” He narrowed his eyes and took to the air, satchel in claw.

“Truth, I cannot understand the pain of such a loss.” the hedge wizard admitted still with no indication of care in his words. “It must be worse for those who experience it. You have my sincerest apologies.” He didn't sound at all sincere. This infuriated Raijin further. This time his attack would be a real one. The skydancer picked up on this and held up a clawed hand. “Before you launch your attack on me might I remind you that there are two others who are in dire need of your presence?”

It worked. Everything about the imperial fell as he let himself drop to the ground. How long had it been? Iele would be worried sick, if she hadn't run off or something. And Kelpie. Poor, suffering Kelpie. Had she even gotten any better after Yue's last attempt to save her? The skydancer's grin widened as he sensed the change in emotion. Rage still roiled beneath the misery, now joined by guilt. Added to it all, the eggs would require a lot of care and attention. Something that couldn't be done here in these circumstances. An idea came to mind. And he hated himself for considering it. “You're a healer, right?” he reluctantly asked the stranger.

“That I am.” the white dragon replied, tapping his claws rhythmically against the stone.

“And you know what happened to my friend?”

“That I do.”

“And I have these eggs-”

“If you agree to it,” the skydancer cut in, “I will tend to the females while you tend to your eggs. There is no greater responsibility than ushering in new life to this world.” Not completely insensitive then.

“I don't know you.” Raijin reminded them both. “But I don't have a choice right now. I don't know the first thing about healing and she needs help right now.”

Spreading his butterfly-patterned wings once more the strange skydancer slipped off the roof to alight on the dew-laden grass once more. “You may call me Antheraea.” He announced. “Allow me insight to the name of you and yours and I shall aid the fallen guardian.”

Raijin narrowed his eyes again at the suspicious dragon. “Raijin.” He let himself say. “The guardian is Kelpie, the mirror kid is Iele and the pearlcatcher is... was... Yue.”

“Thank you.” Antheraea readjusted the moth-eaten robes he wore. It was only now that Rai noticed the thick mat of cobwebs that lay atop it along with the tangle on the weird hat. How could anyone manage to let that happen? Antheraea grinned knowingly, tapping his beak-like snout. “Secrets of the bush, my friend.”

A foul taste coated Raijin's mouth as he flew back into the Shifting Expanse. He should not have left that skydancer with the girls. He himself should have been with them. What could he do though? He couldn't heal, couldn't make anything that would help heal. He had to let the bush wizard see to them. In the meantime he had to take the eggs somewhere where they could be taken care of better. Without a mother's touch they would surely perish. Raijin recalled a place not far from the Lightning Farm, a place he'd flown by a few times on his route, where eggs got dumped by the workers who wanted a family but were too busy to care for them. Dedicated workers, for all the wrong reasons. It would do.

It took a couple of fly-overs to find the correct place. The machinery was obvious but where the eggs were kept wasn't. Until he realised it was in a cave, not a mess of wires. Not to say the cave itself was a mess of wires - the imperial hadn't considered it would be inside the rock and not metal. A blue coatl busy at work was the first living thing to be spotted in amongst the technology. Pipes and wires snaked across the floor, the walls and hung from the ceiling. Most seemed to not connect to anything. Others connected to each other. Only a few lit the sparse lamps and the odd machinery arranged haphazardly around the place. How the coatl got anywhere in here was a mystery.

The feathered dragon, dressed in a white lab coat littered with small rips and tears, was currently holding a pair of tongs, in turn holding a rusted piece of metal. He dipped the metal into the vat he stood in front of, resulting in a hissing sound and a wisp of steam as it touched whatever liquid was inside.

“Um, hello?” Raijin called. Then a second time when there was no response. Finally a third time when the second attempt was drowned out by something short-circuiting. The coatl turned his plumed head to the newcomer, pushing his half-moon specs up his blunt snout. “Uh I heard you care for eggs here?”

A series of complaints left the scientist's mouth at the question, muttering about how he of all dragons had to incubate the eggs when there was so much work to do. Momentarily, or conveniently, forgetting about the imperial Apotequil transported the now-untarnished iron buckle over to a tray where he left it and the tongs and took off his gloves before scuttling over to Raijin. “Yes, yes the incubators are here. How many? How old? Quick, quick there's so much to do.”

“Four, about three days.” Raijin guessed. Time had flown in his mourning for Yue and the flight here was further than he'd remembered. Maybe because he'd been stuck on the ground for the past week. He lifted the satchel with the intent of handing the eggs over, only to have the ripple-patterned dragon to swipe the lot.

“Four you say? I count five.” He glared at Raijin. “Do not lie about the amount, space in the incubator is finite you know.”

“Actually, that one's a pearl.” the faceted imperial replied, rescuing Yue's memories from the coatl's clutches. A feathered brow rose in confused interest but its owner quietly transported the eggs to the currently empty machine he called the incubator. Why he was so fussy about space when it was the only space in the entire cave was beyond Rai. He held his tongue however, watching with pride as his eggs were placed inside.

“Light eggs?” Apotequil inquired.

Raijin fidgeted. “Uh yeah. We mated in some ruins in the Light realms. But I can't care for them properly right now so I brought them here.”

The coatl closed the lid of the incubator, jamming his claws into some buttons and watched as a light came on inside. A meter of some sort being to move, presumably indicating the heat. “And why is that? Are you both diligent workers as well?”

“No Yue... my mate... she's...” he trailed off, unable to continue.

“'Yue'? That name sounds familiar...” The coatl navigated through the mess on the floor to his desk, picking up a notepad and flicking through it. “Yue... Yue... Yue...” The continuous repetition of the name made Raijin cringe.

“Wasn't that the name of the pearlcatcher we cared for about a month ago?” a feminine voice chirped from the entrance, making both males turn to look at the rose-coloured skydancer that had appeared. “Forgive the intrusion, I sensed eggs and had to come check them.”

Apotequil returned to the notepad. “Ah yes yes, the one we had to remove the crystal from. Such a bother.”

She was here? Raijin thought, tears stinging the back of his eyes. It was both beautiful and painful knowing that he was sharing the space she had once trod on. Zelda's feelers quivered and she brought a claw to her face.

“Oh my, do you know her? Do tell me it wasn't the surgery that has caused such heart-ache.” All that she needed to know could be seen in the gaze the imperial gave her. “I am so, so sorry. I did all I could.”

“It's not your fault.” he stepped in softly. “I didn't meet her while she was still crystallised and she was perfectly healthy then.” He tugged at his scarf. “Serthis poisoned her.” It came out as a choke, a tear running down his long face. Zelda instantly was at his side, caressing his smooth hide.

“I will not ask anything more.” she whispered gently. “And I promise to do what I can for your eggs.” Giving Rai another pat on the arm and giving him a soothing smile the skydancer switched her attention to the round objects. “Ah... this could cause complications.”

Not what he wanted to hear. At all. “What would? What's wrong with them?”

The skydancer gave him a concerned look. “These were laid in Light lands, already absorbing some of Lightweaver's essence. Not enough to let them grow. To transport them here in such a state was a dangerous act I fear.”

“What? Why?” Did he just kill his progeny by doing this?

“The infusion of two differing elements could put a lot of stress on the developing embryos. With Lightning being the dominant element, both in holding power over Light and yourself as the sire, the Light magic will be overpowered by it. The change could have some adverse effects... I fear they might not survive the hatching.”

No... please let them live. Raijin silently pleaded, placing a large paw over the glass. Please let her live on.

A few days passed. Raijin spent the time helping around the lab while Zelda tended to the eggs and Apotequil did... whatever he did. And he did a lot of strange things. Today was the day the eggs were due to hatch. As Zelda had expected the eggs had made the transition from pale yellow to light blue as symbolised the power of the Lightning realm. The imperial couldn't contain his excitement or worry, only able to keep himself together doing small tasks for the coatl. Most nonsensical, but he didn't complain.

Hours passed. Raijin kept looking to the incubators. Each time the pink skydancer shook her head. “Not yet.” Each time he huffed in anticipation. He had to know. Had to see what came out of those eggs. Another hour ticked by. Then another. Then...

“Quick! Come quick! They're hatching!”

He couldn't have been at her side faster. Except maybe if the floor had been clear. Both dragons held their breath as the four containers of new life rocked periodically. Cracks began to line them. Raijin's eyes widened with joy, hope, worry. Slowly the lines extended, covering the shell's surface.

“Oh my Stormbringer...” Zelda exclaimed in a hushed tone as a small snout pushed its way out. Raijin practically had his face pressed against the glass as he watched the wonder. After an agonizing wait all four hatchlings emerged from the wreckage of their shells. “And one of them took after their father.” the skydancer cooed, waggling a finger at the lone imperial amongst its pearlcatcher siblings. “Now for the moment of truth...”

Up until those words Raijin had placed both forepaws on the incubator with eyes as close as he could get without steaming the glass door, tail practically thumping with excitement. He was a father! He couldn't wait to meet the little ones. “The moment of truth?” he echoed, excitement giving way to worry once more. Then he hung his head as his gaze returned to the four small figures. Neither had to say anything. Did the elemental change adversely affect them? Would they... would they live? A taloned hand lay on one of his broad paws. Zelda nodded with her beak at the newborns.

“Wait.”

And wait they did. For a hopeful while all of them crawled about, keening and squeaking. Their eyes not yet open, bumping into one another. Could they? Could they all?

It was not to be. The imperial's heart sank from his chest as the pearlcatcher with scales like a clear midnight sky collapsed. It squeaked lamely, struggling. Let me get at them. Let me help them! Raijin begged in his mind. A shake of the skydancer's head forbade it. The pearlcatcher stopped breathing. Not alive even long enough to create its pearl. No!

Three hatchlings remained. The two pearlcatchers nibbling at the shells they had tumbled from. The darkest of them with scales as dark as pitch seemed the stronger, gulping down the fragments with abandon. Beside it the last pearlcatcher coloured like a waking sunrise with its purple wings against a blue body did the same. Except...

No no no please no. Please no! Raijin banged against the glass as the blue one choked on the shell, lacking the strength to feed properly. It could not be said how painful a scene it was to witness, the small dragon suffocating on its first meal. Still Zelda wouldn't let him in. Tears trickled from heartbroken blue eyes.

As for the imperial. The lone imperial of a clutch otherwise of pearlcatchers. With scales like the ocean and wings of night. Bigger, much bigger than its siblings. A smile, tight and full of as much sadness as there was happiness, split the teal imperial's snout. He shook, the motion rocking the machine. It was rolling around, nosing everything close by. Touching with muzzle, paw, tail, whiskers. Strong. Alive. It squeaked in surprise as suddenly a large, round object appeared next to it. The pearl of the surviving pearlcatcher, who instinctively clung to it. The pair huddled together, then disappeared behind a blurry mess of tears. Raijin lowered his head so that it touched the glass, warm from the heat inside.

“Thank you. Thank you. Thank you...” Two of them did not make it. In turn the other two did. A pearlcatcher and an imperial, just like their parents.

Zelda wrapped her long, thin arms around his thicker one, her whiskers catching the joy, the sorry, the despair, the hope of Raijin, the curiosity and playfulness of the surviving hatchlings... and the disinterest of the coatl occupying himself on the other side of the cave. That part did not matter. What did was the new life exploring the interior of the incubator. “Congratulations. Yue would have been proud.”

I'm sure she is. Rai silently agreed.

ImageImage
Image Image
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I've only started reading this yesterday, and you have me completely caught Vare. I've been thinking of doing a Pinkerlocke myself once I clean out my lair a little, but I'm not sure I can, I'm far too invested in your characters! Yue's death was a blow, she was easily my favourite of them all. But now, the babies...excruciating and beautiful. I'm so glad those two made it!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

The emotions which you are able to catch in you story :hug: you erite beautifully..the battle for life for those hatchlings. .intense reading!! Link and Zelda fits soo well in here. Cant wait to read more.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Aw Mozag it's great to hear that you're enjoying my story :) Thank you! Yeah Nuzlocke/Pinkerlockes are emotionally tough since they force you to bond with your dragons, which only makes it harder when they die. Especially when it's a super-effective critical hit *shakes fist angrily at the truffles.* I'm glad you liked the way I handled the hatching and deaths too :hug:

Thank you as well Tarn :) I still will never consider myself a good writer but knowing that you guys are getting these feelings from the story is wonderful.

ALSO in being ill today I almost forgot my policy of letting you guys adopt any dragons that pass on. I've already been contacted about Yue and the navy/violet/blue pearlcatcher but the midnight/blue/mulberry one is still available if anyone takes a shine to her :)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day45

It had been a long time since Yue had left them to find more supplies. Iele had busied herself with the clump of spiky coral she'd found up until she snapped all the tines off of it, at which point she threw it all back in the river and sulked at the loss of her toy. Raijin was boring too. All he did was lay off to one side constantly watching for Yue to come back. Mother was still sleeping as well. Iele didn't like that she was sleeping so long. She'd asked a few times when she was going to wake up, to which Yue and Raijin exchanged glances before saying, “Soon.” Well, it had been soon. And more than soon. And sooner still and mother was still sleeping. The mirror dug her claws into a nearby tree, dragging them down, felt the bark give way. The action was repeated until the hard tree-hide was torn into a ragged mess. Then she decided she was tired and curled up in the crook of mother's foreleg.

When she woke up she decided she was hungry. Patting mother on the face she told her that. But the bigger dragon still didn't wake up. She was talking but not to her. Not to anyone. Strange things. She'd asked Rai what it meant but he stopped talking when she asked. Feeling ignored the hatchling trotted over to the water and peered into its depths. Mother had caught a fish in there the other day. Maybe she could too? She closed her eyes-for-seeing-light to focus on her eyes-for-seeing-heat. The water was blue and black. Cold today. Nothing red or orange showed up. No fish. She opened her eyes again and exhaled loudly. She was bored. She was hungry. Mother was still sleeping. Yue was gone. Raijin was boring.

“I'm hungry.” Iele declared loudly, not caring who heard. “I'm bored. I want mother to wake up. I want to leave.” She threw herself onto her back, wings splayed against the ground and waved her legs in the air for some minor form of entertainment.

From his lounging spot the giant imperial got up and shook himself, scales gleaming in the light. “All right, that's it.” he announced, plodding in her direction. “I've had enough of you complaining.” A blue claw prodded her in her exposed belly. She giggled. He grinned. Helping to right herself the larger dragon motioned for her to follow. So she did. He went into the trees, away from mother.

“Rai? Where we going?” Iele asked worriedly, looking back at the guardian's still form. “What about mother?”

“We're hunting.” Rai replied, cursing as his long horns got tangled in the branches. Again. “We won't go far, she'll be okay.”

“You sure?”

“Yes.”

“Really sure?”

“Yes!”

This went on for the next minute or so, Iele unconvinced that leaving mother behind was a good thing. Rai kept saying it was fine. She wasn't sure. It took him lowering his head to stare right into her eyes to make her shut up. Learning to hunt wasn't easy when the teacher was three times your size. He kept getting caught in things and breaking trees just by leaning on them. The prey got away each time. Eventually he just stood there, pointing at a deer that somehow hadn't noticed them.

It didn't go over well. Iele did exactly as instructed, dropping to the ground and belly-crawling through the grass as slow as she could so that the animal didn't see her, stopping whenever it looked up from grazing. She hated the waiting part. Last time she lost patience though her target got away before she was anywhere close to it. This time was going better. It went back to eating. She went back to crawling. Slow, slow. Its pale behind was in range. She stretched her claws. Wait, just in case. Now... “Gotcha!” she yelled triumphantly. Prematurely. The deer bolted moments before the claws found purchase. “No, no, NO!” Iele screamed in frustration, slamming her paws against the grass. Why was this so hard? She glowered at the spot where the deer had stood, thinking it over. Okay, no more yelling until after catching it.

Movement to her left broke her from her thoughts. A pair of long, brown ears poked out above the long grass. A rabbit. Another chance. The mirrorling flopped to the ground again, creeping up on the unsuspecting critter. It sat up on its haunches, whiskers twitching. She stopped, watched. It dropped down again, started hopping away. Oh no you don't! She pounced. A squeal and a rustle of grass. Something snapped as her jaws clamped shut. It stopped moving. The taste of blood coated her tongue. The taste of victory.

“I send you out to catch a deer and you come back with a rabbit.” Raijin stated, emotion hard to pick out. Iele sat solemnly at his feet, kill at her side.

“I'm sorry Rai, the deer was too-”

“I'm impressed kid.” He grinned at her. She stared at him, confused. “I wondered if a deer might be too big for you yet.” the imperial continued, patting her on the head with a large paw. “So to see you come back with anything at all is a good thing. Well done.”

Ecstatic with this news Iele jumped to her feet, waggled her hind a little and then danced around in loose circles, singing her success. She'd hunted and killed. Her first kill! By herself! Breaking out of her pattern the young lightningborn ran over to Rajin and nuzzled his foreleg. “Thank you, thank you!” Of course while she'd been doing that he'd used his big wings to fly off and catch a bunch of fish, a rabbit of his own, a giant scorpion and a bag of assorted plants and fruits. But she'd made her first kill! Mother will be proud when she woke up.

That was days ago. After the hunt they'd returned to the small camp they'd set up. The pit of wood Raijin would set fire to when it got dark. The dip with broken trees propped up on either side to make a temporary shelter big enough for the imperial, and another pile of them to set up over mother. Once they'd finished eating Raijin went back to his lookout spot. Iele went back to mother, nose-nudging her at pretending to have a conversation whenever she mumbled something. When she'd looked up, Rai was gone. Vaguely she recalled a voice, something about looking for Yue. She was too busy chatting with mother to acknowledge it. She was cold. She sat by the fire. She was lonely. She went back to mother. It started to rain. She ran to the shelter. She felt bad. The broken trees were too big and heavy for her so she could give mother shelter too. The fire went out. She was afraid.

The sound of voices woke her up. Raijin was back! And... who was that? It wasn't Yue's voice. Cat-like Iele stretched and shook herself before venturing ous of the shelter. Under her paws the grass was wet and fresh. It smelled sweet. “Hi Rai! Where did you-” She cut herself off at the sight of the unfamiliar dragon with the imperial. He was smaller than Raijin, still bigger than her. White feathers with swirly markings similar to Yue's, big pink wings like a butterfly and a glistening pink belly. And all over he was wearing battered red cloth covered in spider webs. Iele shied away, not sure what to say or do. Where was Yue?

“Morning Iele.” Raijin spoke softly. His voice sounded strange. Like it had been when mother was hurt. Except worse? And what was that red thing around his neck? And why was he carrying Yue's bag? She cocked her head at him, hoping for information. It didn't come. “Sorry this is sudden Iele, but I need to go somewhere.” he apologised sadly, gesturing at the bag as if it would answer her unspoken questions. “This is Antheraea. He's going to look after you and Kel- Your mother while I'm gone.”

The white bird-like dragon bowed in response to his introduction. He didn't seem nice. “It'll be a pleasure I'm sure, little Iele.” the skydancer said in a voice that made Iele's skin crawl. She didn't like strangers. And mother was still asleep, Yue was missing and now Raijin was going away so she was stuck with this weird dragon.

“Can't I come with you, Rai?” she pleaded hopefully, giving him the biggest eyes she could.

He shook his head. “Sorry, you can't.”

“But why?”

“Because it's something only I can do.” Raijin took Antheraea to one side, said something to him to which the white dragon nodded, a spider hanging from his crooked hat swinging with the motion, then took off. He didn't look back. Not even a goodbye. Internally Iele quailed.

“Well then.” the skydancer proclaimed, taking in the sight of the makeshift camp. “I suppose I should get to work. Your friend tells me that your mother is a bad way. Allow me to aid with that.” Using his patterned wings he lifted into the air to take a better look at the massive guardian, inspecting the wound and Yue's handiwork. “Not bad, not bad.” he mused, setting back down again.
“Now you be a good little girl and wait there while I tend to your mummy, okay?” the skydancer told the mirror with only the slightest hint that he actually cared whether she stayed there or not.

Iele nodded without a word, watching with interest as the feathered dragon placed his pouch on the ground and began rummaging through it. Various herbs were laid in neat rows, a couple of vials stood at one side, a bottle of what appeared to be water at the other along with pieces of carefully crafted wood and stone. Some had feathers attached, others had beads. Some had both. Some had neither. A quick inspection of the organised plants and Antheraea plucked the ones he deemed necessary along with one vial and the bottle of water. He then turned his attention to the prone guardian.

Iele found herself very interested in the supplies, each item set out increasing her curiosity more and more. Now that the stranger's back was turned she made a move, sniffing at the different stalks. All of them had a different scent to the other. That one smelled like the place they were in now, except stronger now that it was right under her nose. That one had no smell at all. Ew that one stank! And that one... Iele twitched her now-irritated nose as she took irregular breaths. Her snout wrinkled as she tried to hold back- “A-choo!” ...a sneeze.

“You should know better than to investigate that which you don't know.” the hedge wizard's voice drawled from atop Kelpie's body. The skydancer hadn't turned, hadn't seen. He simply knew thanks to the waves of curiosity coming from the hatchling. “Didn't I tell you to stay put?”

An indignant frown crossed the stone-coloured dragon's features. “I AM staying put. You put your stuff too close for me not to look at them!”

A chuckle drifted down, followed by its owner. “You pose a good point.” he told Iele as he picked up another bundle. “As long as you don't trample them then everything is good. Whatever you do though,” here his voice became suddenly stern and serious, “do not touch that vial.”

“Why not?” the hatchling chirruped, setting her back end on the ground as she stared up at the white skydancer with all four eyes. Turned out bothering the weird robed guy was fun. Now to see how far she could push him.

His eyes narrowed. “Because I kindly told you not to. Now if you excuse me.” With that he hopped back up to his perch on Kelpie's side. The guardian stirred under the movement, mumbling something incoherent.

Now Iele's curiosity was burning. Burning so much that it itched. Why shouldn't she touch the vial? What was in it? Why was it that funny colour? What would it do? Smell like? The flowers all smelled different, well except the one that didn't smell at all, what about this stuff?

“I'm warning you.” Antheraea called, sensing the implications. “Don't touch it.”

Well you shouldn't have left it here. Iele thought cheekily. To appease him though she sat like the good little girl she was taught to be. Then slowly she lifted a claw. Slowly she reached towards the glass container.

“Don't.” Came a growl from above. Iele shot her arm back, looking back out at the river with as innocent a look as she could make. She waited. Then did it again, closer this time. Paused. No chastising from the funny skydancer. A little further. He rustled his wings. Tap. Still nothing, kept working on whatever it was he did with the plants. She shot back into her innocent stance as he clambered down again, this time scooping up the wooden things. He gave her a look. She looked back, wagging her tail at him. He snorted and went back up. Iele craned her neck to see what he was doing. Bits of wood placed around the wound, the one with the beads and feathers held over it, swung in gentle circles. He chanted something she could not hear too well. What she could she didn't understand.

Now was the time. Dropping to her pale belly Iele inched forwards a little. Waited. A little more. He hadn't noticed, too busy making up funny words. Closer. Closer. Her paw wrapped around the vial. A grin cracked her pointed face as elation at managing to grab it washed over-

With a squawk of fury and a flurry of movement Antheraea was upon her, casting his shadow over the smaller dragon. With one taloned hand he grabbed the mirror by the throat, the other snatched the vial away. “What part of 'Do not touch' do you not understand?” he screeched at her, grip tightening around her neck.

Iele choked in his hold. “I-I'm s-sorry.”

“Idiot child! Perhaps it would do you good to know what it is. Do you want to know?” He thrust the object in her face, using a sharp thumb to pry out the cork. “Do you?”

“N-no! I'm sorry!” Iele wailed, eyes brimming with tears of fright.

Suddenly another shadow, far bigger than the skydancer, fell across them both. Antheraea's grip loosened as he looked behind him. Then up. Kelpie loomed imposingly over the bird-like dragon, dark blue eyes dangerously slitted. The herbalist stared at her wide-eyed, taking in the size difference between them. They switched down to the trembling mirror in his claws. Then back to Kelpie. A strained grin lined his beak-like face as he carefully put the hatchling down, patted her on the head and stoppered the cork in the vial. Iele scrabbled over to her adoptive mother, hiding behind the pillar-like forelegs.

“You should be resting.” Antheraea managed lamely, swallowing hard as the green dragon continued to glare down at him. Seems the pearlcatcher's prior attempt to save her did have some impact after all.

---
Last chance to adopt Rai and Yue's remaining daughter :)
Thanks Syleye for adopting Lei!
Last edited by Varethyn on Sat May 14, 2016 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Go Kelpie!! Protect Iele ! Man i like that story.. not quite sure if i like or distrust Antheraea ;)