Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

Apologies for lack of updates. Pinkerton has only given me coliseum and writing items and I seriously don't have the patience to do that right now. Assuming it's not something I can do easily (for now) I'm going to take the rest of this week off. Depending on how I feel over the weekend I'll write up the next chapter and do a coliseum grind to make up for it.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Always good to take some time off :D <3

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Hey all, apologies again for the long pause. The trend remains unbroken with Pinkerton hurling fish and meat and plants at me and I simply cannot bring myself to do that much fighting. Winds of Change will return at some point, I promise, but for now I simply refuse to run the coliseum every single day. I'm not yet sure how to make up for it but right now another issue has come up.

Isaura is 2 months old.

That means she's old enough to begin her Search and has a very likely chance of leaving the clan. Of course I noticed this right after Tarn ever so generously donated some treasure towards finishing off gene plans:

I will roll for her tomorrow. In the meantime I'd like you guys to decide, in the likely event she will leave, if any of you would like to take her in as another fully gened gen1. I will also accept reasons to keep her in the clan regardless and write up an excuse as necessary (and probably remove the rule or alter it for scavenged eggs as a result). Once again if no one offers to take her in to aid her Search she will be exalted instead.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I think she should stay!! And that the rules of eggs be altered. .. be more fun to see more dragons enter the story :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

For the curious:

With the rules currently in place the roll would have needed to be 90 or higher for her to stay. I have one vote to change the rule. The outcome will be concrete when the story starts back up.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

HMMM... As much as I like the concept of the rule with guardians moving away, I think in practice it suffers from the slow nature of Pinterlockes- it's very possible two months will pass without any story progression really happening, thanks to RNG, and that means the dragon will barely have any time in the clan. So, I'd vote to get rid of the rule!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

You could always say that she finds her charge as one of the current members of the little group/the survival of the group in general? Maybe it's decided it's too dangerous for a lone Guardian to wander away, so she sticks with the group as they help her out to find her charge and then she realises that they are her charge(s) after all :)

Other than that, I'll echo the other two - if a rule is limiting you in some way, then perhaps at least lessen the extent that it will, or just give it a good ol' dropkick completely~
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Know you are taking a break but just wanted to link this guide. A friend who has been doing a pinterlocke says it's really good.

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde ... st_3140736

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you Tarn, I use that guide for pretty much everything and it is incredibly useful :)

I can't say just when I'll come back to this, but with things going on here and there it'd most likely be in the new year. We'll see how it goes.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 77

Chapter 19

It had been a week since Makani's death. Most of the group were huddled inside their cave, watching the opening as rain hammered down from the heavens. Roiling dark clouds above briefly reflected off the soaked stone as lightning lit up the world. The weather had been like this the last few days and showed no signs yet of letting up. Noelani had explained in her Lightborne wisdom that it was the heat of the Ashfall Wastes meeting the chill winds of the Southern Icefield. Caught in the middle was Windswept Plateau, now thoroughly drenched.

Despite her Fire element Isaura had attempted to alleviate some of her worry by playing outside, hopping from puddle to puddle to see which one made the biggest splash. Which, as it turned out, was all of them. The Guardian had reached full size and moulted recently; freshly grown blue scales glinted in an almost skeletal pattern across her crimson hide while her grand wings resembled a sunset over the ocean. Puddle-hopping served another purpose too. Her mind was wandering more than usual, orange eyes flicking from this to that as her game of finding a Charge started to become reality. And it scared her. She didn't want to leave this group, not yet. But what if her Charge was somewhere else...? Another wave of rainwater was sent flying as the Guardian jumped again. Forcefully.

Inside the cave the air was thick with tension. Everyone was fidgeting in some way or another, keeping as great a distance from Ilmatar as physically possible without falling out into the rain. The Coatl was still clinging to the slowly decaying corpse of Makani, the green Fae flopping lifelessly as his adoptive mother set him down for a “nap”. No amount of insistence had reached her. To her, Maki was still alive, refusing to accept the truth. She spoke to him, played with him, pretended to feed him like a hatchling would a doll. And also much like a hatchling with a doll Matar would get very protective and upset if someone tried to take her baby away from her.

No one knew what to do.

Vunguza, having since revealed he'd been smothered in clay from bathing in the stream when the serthis had kidnapped him and actually displayed a dark wave over his orange body, had already admitted his discomfort and was considering leaving. No one blamed him. The only reason the Snapper had remained at all was due to a vision he'd had before the tsunami had swept him from his home, a vision in which he saw himself travelling with a mixed group of dragons in a land different to where they now were. Worry for defying the vision, and for it being the last one he'd had since the Tidelord's disappearance, stayed his broad feet.

A quiet whine could be heard from the crack in the cave wall where Anvindr had set up his den. A small tunnel and hollow, possibly dug out by some other creature, now housed his alchemical equipment. It had also served as a safe haven since Makani had been the only other dragon small enough to fit inside. However the Spiral had managed to get himself tightly stuck in a knotted ball, anxiety causing him to twist and writhe until he ended up that way. Despite this he refused to call for help. Not yet.

It was Noelani who finally gave up with the situation. Throwing her arms up and flaring her cream wings the Wildclaw leapt to her feet and stormed out, ignoring the multicoloured stare that followed her. Eyes flicked to one another. No one spoke. No one moved.

Isaura paused in her antics to watch the white dragon pass by, lashing her tail in greeting to no response. She didn't follow but did feel a little hurt that Lani hadn't even looked at her.

The cave had formed naturally from when the rivers ran higher once, laying in a dip not far from the border of the Wind and Fire lands. Most of the Plateau was raised, the boundaries marked by sheer cliffs that plummeted into the seas below with few slopes with which to navigate up or down. Because of the location of their temporary dwelling the winds were weaker, making take-off harder. One had to climb a steep hill a short way from the rocky opening, hidden by thick brambles - a passage found when their previous guests had departed. It was that or pass through the forest groves where the pohips that killed Makani dwelt. And no one wanted to go that way again for that reason.

And so it was with determination that the Wildclaw pushed through the undergrowth, digging in her powerful claws to push herself over the crest of the hill and onto flatter land. She didn't wander far, she simply wanted to be away from... whatever had gripped the Coatl. Following the ridge the white dragon found a suitable spot beneath a wide-boughed tree that would shelter her from the rain as she gazed out over the river and the plains beyond.

After a moment of quiet solitude Noelani found herself whipping her head around at the sound of rustling leaves. Someone had found her, someone big. Isaura? She flared her nostrils and scented deeply. No. Not the Guardian. A frown furrowed her slender brow. It was a familiar scent. She breathed deeply again. No mistaking it.

“Oh! You... followed me?” She turned to face the newcomer.

"How could I not after learning I have a new cousin and where he lived?"

"...no. He... He was killed by serthis. They tried to set it up on a member of the group I'm currently staying with."

"I'm sorry but no. Now is not the time. The group's leader is... unstable right now. I think they could use all the help they can get."

“Um... Excuse me?”

Noelani whirled around, crouching in preparation to pounce on the sudden new voice. A very startled Spiral throwing up his hands in fearful defence met her gaze and all rage subsided, though her heart still thumped in her chest. “Anvindr? Why are you here?”

Vin, who evidently had managed to untangle himself and slip out from his hiding spot, placed both hands over his own chest and sucked in deep breaths. “I-I needed some f-fresh air.” He managed with a final, deep exhalation. “Sora said you'd come up this way... I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” At this he tilted his head. “You... are okay, right? I heard you talking...”

With a sigh the Wildclaw waved a claw dismissively. “I am well, you need not fear. We don't need another to join Ilmatar in her descent into madness.” She then motioned at someone hidden in the brush to come closer. “Actually it is good timing. I have someone I wish for you to meet.”

Wringing bony hands together the sinuous Spiral slithered closer to the Wildclaw. Then stopped dead when something very large indeed stepped out of the foliage. An immense Imperial coloured like a sunlit sky came forth, one bright yellow eye carefully regarding the tiny Spiral while the other one, cloudy white, seemed to look right through him. Vin's jaw dropped. He'd seen Imperials. He'd been around Imperials. But he'd never been this close to an Imperial. The alchemist had never felt so small in his entire life.

“This is Whisper.” Noelani stated, with a hint of something in her voice. Admiration? That was certainly there but there was also something... more. “We're from the same clan. Seems he decided to come looking for me when I didn't return when I said I might.” She elbowed the Imperial's foreleg at the emphasis, grinning mischievously as she did so. Whisper returned the grin, yet continued not to speak.

Anvindr offered a nervous wave with his own, awkward grin then yelped and shot into the bushes as another massive creature came galloping up behind him, mud sent flying as Isaura skidded to a halt. “Wooooaaah.” she gasped as she gazed up at the Imperial, who gave the Guardian an amused smile. Even fully grown he was almost twice her size. “I just came up to make sure you were okay. I'm glad you are. Who's your friend?” The words tumbled from the red dragon's maw in excitement at meeting one so big.

“Yes, yes I am well. Thank you both for checking on me.” Noelani motioned at the bush for Vin to come out of hiding. “And this is Whisper. He's my clanmate.” There was a grunt from above, causing her to look up at a wry grin as Whisper flicked his whiskers and ears seemingly without meaning. “...Fine. He's my...” the Wildclaw suddenly seemed sheepish compared to her usual stoic appearance. “He's my partner. We... plan to make a den together one day.” She shot a glare back up at the blue giant. “Happy now?”

Whisper nodded, thoroughly enjoying the moment. Noelani huffed, folded her arms and turned to regard the bloated river again.

“Awwww you guys are together?” Isaura keened, crouching on her front legs and wagging her tail like a dog before springing up and bouncing a few times. “That's so sweet! Good for you!” Whisper let out a low, soft humming as he nodded in appreciation. That made Sora stop, raising an eye ridge. “Um, no offence but you don't say much do you?”

Whisper and Noelani exchanged worried glances. “That's because-” Noelani began only for Sora to cut in again.

“But that's okay!” she tacked on quickly as she started bouncing again. “Vinny and I talk a lot so you don't have to!”

“Y-yeah. We'll... talk instead.” the Spiral attempted, seemingly having lost his tongue for the time being.

The Light pair glanced at each other again, this time with resigned humour. “Thank you, Isaura.” the Wildclaw said with a light sigh. “Anyway. Whisper may be staying with us for a while if I can get everyone to agree. He wants me to come home but...” She bobbed her head in the direction of the cave. “I can't leave Ilmatar like that.” Another, curious-sounding hum resonated in her mate's long throat. “I'll explain as we go.”

This time Vin and Sora exchanged glances. What was up with this Imperial?

The majority of the journey back to the cave was comprised of Noelani explaining the situation thus far, with Whisper replying with varying hums, growls and grunts in between flicks of the ear, whisker and tail. Vin largely stayed quiet after he'd told his part before the Wildclaw had joined them and Sora butted in now and again to comment on something the others mentioned. However she fell silent when she was asked to speak her role in all of this. Thinking of Eurus was still painful and she found herself unable to talk about it. Vin helped out by flying up to Whisper's ear and, softly so the Guardian couldn't hear, recounting taking in the two hatchlings, the serthis attack and Eurus' painful end. The Imperial nodded slowly, humming a mournful song in answer.

“Things have been going from bad to worse ever since the Twisting Crescendo changed direction.” Noelani grumbled as she shook the rainwater from her short fur. Whisper, bless him, had done his best to shield the group from the storm with his vast wings. Rivulets ran down his arms and over the golden armour he sported however, sometimes dripping on the others. Better than being outright drenched but still uncomfortable. “Between the strange weather and increasing activity from the Beast Clans I can't see us getting far like this.”

“We need to move.” Anvindr agreed, poking out from under Isaura's blue wing. “With the serthis attacking us and how they compromised my experiments and I'm certain the pohips didn't get agitated that quickly for no reason and the time Matar got attacked by maren there must be something or someone behind it all and we need to find somewhe- mmph!”

Sora had clamped the Spiral's mouth shut with her claws, giving him The Look as she did so. “Breathe.” she said simply, as Matar and Saira had taught her, then let him go.

“He is right though.” Noelani agreed as she picked her way down the sodden slop towards the final stretch to the cave. “This may be a resourceful area, but someone knows we're here. I wouldn't doubt the serthis who got away has spread news of us by now.”

Above them Whisper trilled urgently, tossing his head towards the ever-expanding river.

The white Wildclaw nodded. “Plus if the rain keeps up as it has the river will soon threaten to wash us all away. See how it is so much wider than before?”

“And angry too...” Sora added, watching how the turbulent waters smashed against rock and tree as its extra load pushed it to its limits. Already the surface had risen to the lip of the banks and threatened to spill over.

“Flood plains...” Vin muttered as his large, red eyes scanned the area. “No wonder it looks like this.”

Lani nodded. “A few more days will see this area underwater. We must gather what we can and find higher ground.”

This final statement found the small group outside their temporary home. Sora looked Whisper up and down, then at the cave, then back again, making sure their new member would fit inside. It would be cosy but they could manage. Although it would mean someone having to be closer to Ilmatar. The thought made the three older members shudder. The newest had his lone eye on something else; a red shape holding something next to the riverbank. When he didn't follow the other three they turned to look at what he had seen.

Ilmatar. Soaked through. Sodden fur and feathers clumping up on her thin frame as she attempted to throw a net into the raging waters with one arm as the other held the dead Fae.

Sputtering Noelani made a series of awkward “See what I mean?” gestures at the Coatl before striding over to their leader. “What in Lightweaver's name are you doing?” she screeched over the crashing waves.

The crimson Coatl twisted around in surprise, almost losing grip of the rather shoddy-looking net. When had she found the time and materials to even make that? “I'm teaching Maki how to fish!” she explained proudly, one green eye twitching slightly as she smiled at the flustered trio running up behind Lani.

“Now?!” the Wildclaw shouted in exasperation. “Can't you see it's close to flooding? Even if you did manage to get that net set up it'll just break!”

The net was cast again, the river almost wrenching it from Matar's grasp. She wasn't listening, didn't seem to realise the danger. “He needs to learn and our fish supplies are running low.” the runaway explained calmly as she tried again.

“Supplies are fine!” Noelani shrieked, looking about ready to throttle the other female. “And he's DEAD! You have to accept that! Please!”

Again the net was awkwardly thrown, again it was almost snatched away as a large piece of driftwood rammed into it. “He needs to learn...” Matar said again, still smiling softly at the limp body. “I will show him.”

Claws extended, pale fur ruffled, legs poised to jump. A large, blue paw carefully rested on Noelani's shoulder as Whisper stood level with her. With his large snout he gestured for her and the others to go inside as he took up the net, flared his wings and leapt to the other side where he found a suitable rock to tie it to. He then jumped back and assisted Ilmatar in doing the same on her side before herding her towards the cave as well.

WHY?! Noelani mouthed at the Imperial, who simply shook his head in response. Flabbergasted the Wildclaw trudged in behind him.

“You lot are absolutely flipping drookit. What were you doing out there anyway, taking a swim?” Vunguza chuckled heartily at the sodden dragons stood in the cave mouth, taking it turns to shake the worst of the rain off of their hides. Then steam began to rise as Sora heated her body to help dry them off further.

“I needed to think.” Noelani ground out, still tense from her meeting with Ilmatar, to whom she pointed a slender finger. Without further explanation she stalked to the opposite side of the cave where she flopped down, back to the others.

For a moment the humour vanished from the Snapper's features as he regarded the Coatl making her way to the nest of blankets she'd set up for Makani and laying him in it. “Can't blame you for that wee lass.” he mumbled to himself, then turned his attention to Whisper. “An' who is Big Yin here, eh? Ain't seen you hereabouts before.”

The Imperial bowed his head and hummed in greeting. Sora and Vin looked at each other to see who would speak first. “His name is Whisper.” Isaura explained for them. “He's Lani's-” A golden-eyed glare prevented her from finishing the sentence.

“Friend. Noelani's friend. Clan mate in fact.” Anvindr amended quickly, waving his hands at the Wildclaw to please calm down. As he did so Whisper made a throaty rasp that resembled laughter as he made his way over to coil next to his mate, purposefully placing himself between her and the ailing Coatl. “H-he, ah, came looking for her as she'd said she'd be back but she wasn't back but she also didn't say that she would be back then and, uh, well, since she's staying with us he decided to stay as well.”

With nervous grin and drumming fingers the Spiral looked to the Wildclaw for approval. With a snort she broke her gaze, but as she went to lay her head down she found herself bumping snouts with Whisper, who nuzzled her lightly with a soft hum. Relenting Noelani slid closer to him and lay her head over his arm instead.

“Seems more'n a friend if'n you ask me.” Vunguza quipped to Sora and Vin with hooded, knowing eyes and raised ridges.

That was the last straw for the black-scaled Spiral and he darted into his crack in the wall, making keen effort not to catch anyone's eye as he did so. That left the red-and-blue Guardian. “Well, he is.” she admitted, keeping her voice low and orange gaze on Noelani in case she overheard. “But Lani doesn't seem to like anyone knowing that.”

A hum of approval left the Snapper's throat as he watched the pair getting comfortable. “'E's got himself quite the bonnie lass. Lucky sod.”

Isaura sprawled out cat-like on the floor in front of the Water Snapper, taking up most of what space remained that didn't already house another dragon or their belongings. “Do you have a mate, Guzy?”

“Me? Naw. Lonely old git, I am.” He gave her a playful smile. “Maybe one day, lass. Fer now I'm content tae wander on me own.”

“I see...”

Silence fell save for the rattle of raindrops on stone outside as everyone settled down to rest. It was too early to sleep properly but with the weather as frightful as it was and showing signs of only getting worse not much else was left to do. Noelani and Whisper were reaffirming their bond by carefully grooming one another, the former playfully brushing at the latter's coarse beard with her claws. Ilmatar had tucked Maki's body in to “nap” again while she preened her damp wings. Vin was doing who-knows-what in his hole.

Isaura sighed with boredom.

“Why don'tcha go play outside again? Ye didn't seem bothered by the rain.”

The Guardian rolled onto her back, limbs sticking up in the air. “It's not that. I'm just... worried.”

“By ol' Matar and her bab?”

Sora nodded. “That and... I've started wanting to look for things. My things.”

“Ye Search?”

She nodded again. “I think... It feels nearby but I can't place it yet.”

Vunguza shifted slightly, finding a more comfortable position. “Well at least ye don't need to go trapsin' all o'er Sornieth if'n ye know it's close by.”

“Yeah. I don't really want to leave these guys. Even if they're... weird.”

He nodded.

“Guz?”

“Hm?”

“Why are you staying with us?”

The Snapper chuckled and shook his head. “I already told you, it's cos of a vision I had before I were washed away. Ah dinnae know what would happen if I were tae leave. Might end up back with you at the place ah saw, might ruin everythin' by doing somethin' different. You cannae be sure.”

“So you're staying because leaving might change the future?” Sora asked, giving him a sceptical look.

“In a sense, yea.”

“Wow...”

“An' lass?”

“Hm?”

“Ah, um...” Vunguza rubbed at his thick neck with a blunt paw ashamedly. “E'er since I were washed away by t'storm ah... ah'm rather afeart o' dreich weather like this. 'Specially this bad.”

A sharp bark of laughter shot from Isaura's maw, making her cover her mouth with her paws as the others stared over at her in surprise. “A Water dragon who's scared of rain?” she giggled.

Vunguza sighed, rolling his deep blue eyes as he settled down again. “Aye, lass. Aye.”

A quiet ripple of chuckles rounded the group, filling the cave with some much needed positivity. It wasn't long after that everyone found themselves drifting off with this new contentment.

It wasn't to last. As what light managed to seep its way through the thick clouds began to fade, a small, sinuous shape wound its way over to the blanket pile containing Makani's corpse. A pair of large, red eyes darted in the gloom as a thin hand carefully reached out. Slowly. Slowly. Enough was enough. Matar was asleep. Everyone else was asleep. Now was the time. It had to be done.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Whee it´s back!!! I love love love your writing!!! You could seriously earn big money on fr by writing ppls lore for them!

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

Yes its back and such a return!!!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Hehe surprise! I found some notes I'd made regarding Whisper and Noelani and managed to inspire myself into writing something. Which is great as it could be fun, depending on how they're released, to include the ancient breeds when they come out. I can't guarantee how long I'll be able to keep up with this but I'll try. Also, this RP post is a one-off in that I did not tie it to a daily item. It felt better to just post it without using the rules.

Speaking of rules, I have done away with the rule regarding Guardian hatchlings having to leave once they reach maturity. It feels cheaty to have all Guardians I get have their Charge be within the group somehow but I agree that it is a rule better fitting a Nuzlocke that is played on the regular given Pinkerton's random nature.

I am also clearing the current Guest list in the event some of the offered dragons no longer exist or you don't want them to show up any more. So if anyone wants to see a dragon show up go ahead and post them! Remember:
- One dragon at a time per person. New dragons can be offered up after the first one has shown up, but no repeats! (This may be reconsidered if enough time has passed and you really have no idea who else you'd like to see.)
- If there's something in particular you'd like them to do please try to add it as you offer the dragon rather than when the dragon gets rolled to join. This is to avoid potentially godmoding or ruining any ideas you may have for that point in the story (eg: Giving Meifeng a valuable keepsake only for her to die afterwards). It's also easier to keep track of. If nothing is suggested I'll have them do whatever best fits in the chapter at the time. Be warned, this could be as simple as a passing cameo who doesn't get much, if any, screen time.
- Guests join the story by story only. They do not need to be traded to me. Nor do they need to have a backstory or you any RP skills (though it is handy!).

Lastly, I updated Vunguza to have Python/Morph and have a lionfish and noxtide awaiting Meifeng later. I am thusly clearing my gene stockpile as well (mainly because I never made note of it and have no idea how much I have in said stockpile :lol: )

I'd also like to hear potential thoughts on how to integrate the ancient breeds into the rules. Obviously this will be purely speculation for the week until they come out but some forward-thinking would be useful in that regard. By this I refer to getting new dragons: When pulling a familiar I can choose to buy a dragon from the AH using random.org to select what breed it will be (1 = Fae, 2 = Guardian etc), hatch an egg I own or introduce any gifted dragons you guys have sent me. What, for the time being, do you think would be the best way to include them? Add on to the random.org list or have a completely separate method? (eg: You can't get an ancient breed until a dragon reaches lv25.)

Regardless, I hope you guys enjoy what I manage to get posted! If you haven't already, it might be an idea to start from the beginning to refresh yourselves on the story thus far.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 78

Chapter 20

I remember this being read to young children so, small warning for harsh language.

The morning was broken by a shrill wailing that sent what animals dared brave the torrential downpour outside scattering. As Noelani had predicted, the rain, while the storm was over, had not stopped falling. Lapping water skipped over now-marshy soil as the river steadily rose higher over its banks, flooding the valley and washing away anything that wasn't secure.

Only torn fibres of Ilmatar's net remained, barely noticeable as they wavered a little above where they'd been tied down. The only thing the net had been good for, as expected, was catching debris. A paper bag flopped around, wrapped in one of the few remaining rungs, unable to peel itself off as the current forced it against the rope.

Perched on the lip of the overhang above the cave's mouth was a long, dark-scaled figure, coiled tightly against himself, chin laying flat on the rock, hands pulling at his horns with his eyes tightly shut. Guilt. Guilt guilt guilt. It needed to be done so why did he feel so guilty? He could hear claws scrabbling around inside, Matar's voice, tight with anguish, calling for her little Makani. He couldn't bare it. Couldn't. Why?

More voices. The other group members trying to console the crazed Coatl, attempting against better judgement to explain what had happened, that Makani had been dead for a week, that she needed to let go. Another wail of despair echoed against the stone walls, reverberating out like a banshee's cry.

A few moments passed, quiet save for soft voices and tearful sobbing. Then another wail and the other dragons decided now was the time to leave. Noelani was first, hands clutched tightly over her ears as she dashed from the opening into the downpour, following the river towards the ever-more treacherous slope. Whisper was next. A lot calmer but droning a rather depressing sound in his throat the Imperial took the same route as his mate, presumably back to their tree.

Next was Isaura, almost in tears herself. She'd been the one begging Ilmatar to please understand. We don't know where he's gone but you need this. You need to see. Yet, if anything had gotten through Matar had refused to show it. The Guardian didn't go far, though she did go the opposite way to the Lightborne; seeking out an indentation in the cliff just big enough for her to squeeze inside where she flopped, head in her paws as she tried to steady her own emotions.

Finally Vunguza waddled his way out, slowly, slowly, constantly checking his feet. Only to back up again as the water ran over his paws. He heaved a sigh and the sound of scale on rock suggested he'd sat himself down against the wall. Vin risked a caution peek over the edge to regard the Snapper, seeing the torn expression. He so desperately wanted to leave but the fear of the rain and potentially causing something bad to happen weighed him down.

“Vunguza,” the Spiral found himself saying without really thinking, causing the orange Waterborne to look up at him, “why - if you don't mind me asking of course - why don't you... bend the rain around you or something? N-not that I kn-know how Water magic works it's just a thought since you're supposed to be able to control water and... and all...”

Vunguza sighed heavily. “I were ne'er good at that kind o' thing. My place were divinin' prophecies and such like. An' since they've stopped happenin'... well. Ah'm kind of useless here on.”

“B-but you were able to use your magic to help wash up after the run in with the serthis. Can't you-”

“An' that's as far as I e'er got wit it!” The Snapper shouted, a pent up anger letting loose as he got back to his feet, glaring with narrowed eyes at the offender. “Ah'm useless wit magic, useless without my visions. Useless I tell ye. Good fer nothing lump o' shite. Gotta wonder which feckin' Deity thought t'were hilarious tae send me on this feckin' journey.”

“I-I-I-I'm s-sure there's s-something you can-”

“Like wit, eh? Washin' yer clothes, entertainin' the wee barras? Ah'm a garden hose, a water pistol. Ain't nowt good aboot me. 'less you consider me a feckin' denwife.”

“W-w-w-well I-I-I-”

“Ah'm afeart o' me own element fer feck's sake! I cannae even escape this flappin' wench cos o' it!” he waved a paw at the cave, referring to the pain-racked Coatl inside. “Who e'en thought this were a good feckin' idea? Takin' Maki like that? All it's done is make things worse!”

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. Anvinder snaked back up onto the outcropping and tied himself in a tight, shaking ball. Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. The word rattled in his skull with every heartbeat. Shouldn't have done that. Should not have done that. Why. Why did he do that? He slapped his hands over his long ears, squeezing his eyes shut and rocking back and forth in hopes of getting the voice to stop.

“Wit? Were it you, Vin? Did you do this?”

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

“Without tellin' a'body? Come on now, spill!”

About ready to crack under the pressure Vin launched himself from his perch to land hard on the ground in front of the Snapper. Just he parted his jaws to admit everything a rustle of wings and the thudding of heavy paws interrupted him, both males twisting around to see a very concerned Isaura puffing and panting.

“Come... come qui... quick! There's... there's an... egg! An egg! Stuck in the net!” She pointed so hard with one arm that she almost toppled over from the exertion of running over so fast. “Come on!” A large, yellow-streaked blue wing was extended like an umbrella as she gestured manically for Vunguza to come with.

After a moment's hesitation, he did.

The three of them set a quick a pace as they dared over the slippery mud, Guz doing his best to avoid every puddle possible, until they reached the edge of the river. It must have doubled in size since they'd arrived. Half the campsite was underwater already. A good thing they'd had the foresight to gather everything of interest to them beforehand.

“There, see it?” Sora pointed at an ovular green object covered in darker green swirls – the markings of a Wind-blessed egg, gone unnoticed as it had been smothered by the wayward paper bag.

“Can't you jump in and get it?” Vin asked, assessing the situation by doing a quick fly-by. The egg was too big and likely too slippery for the Spiral to attempt to grab it, made worse by the sodden bag stuck to the shell.

“The water's too fast!” Sora called to him. Indeed, the river was more like a rapid at this point as more and more water rushed by from the mountains further up. “Even I'd get washed away if I tried.”

The rope was too far out for the Guardian to grab and she dared not wade into even the shallows in case of a misstep. Vin dug his claws into the soggy rope and pulled, but the strength of the flow was too much. “Guz, you're going to have to use your magic to bring it in!” the snakelike dragon shouted over the din. “You said you can do that much, right?”

Fear gripped the stocky Snapper at the thought. “A-ah'd need to get a mite closer.” he managed, toeing the furious river's surface tentatively. To get closer he'd have to get in the water. “Ah cannae... Ah cannae do nowt.”

“You can do it.” Isaura's voice now came from behind rather than beside him. The Snapper looked back to see she'd thrown her wings forward to protect him and had her forelegs either side of his tail. “I'm right here.” she said encouragingly. “If you slip I'll grab you. I promise.”

A lump formed in Guz's thick throat, one he could not swallow. Unable to speak and breathing becoming a chore he set his jaw, closed his eyes and nodded, slowly reaching a paw out into the water. Then wrenched it back out as the rapids pushed against him. After a shaky breath he tried again, setting his flat paw down against the muddy bottom and waiting. Content he wasn't about to lose his footing the Snapper moved the other one in, waited. So far so good, but he was shaking hard.

“You can do it.” Sora repeated, giving his wide tail a gentle squeeze to show she was ready.

Feeling his heart race in his chest Vunguza moved forward again. Slowly. One step at a time. Right down, make sure you won't slip. Soon enough all four feet were submerged. He looked out at the egg. So close. Was he close enough? He reached forward again, but could not seem to find purchase this time. Panicking he pulled back, starting to move backwards. It was too much.

Isaura moved fast, standing behind the Snapper to stop him from going too far. “We're so close! You're doing great! I believe in you!” But Vunguza was having none of it, shoving his hindquarters hard against the Guardian's chest.

“Naw! Ah cannae do it! Ah cannae do it!”

Desperation overcame Anvindr. Someone, somewhere had lost an egg to the flood. The least they could do was try and save it. So, gripping tightly with his hind legs, the Spiral inched along the rope until he was level with the egg. As he reached out to touch it, he noticed something devastating. “It's cracked!” he choked out, trying to peer inside, see if there was a hatchling, how much water was leaking into it. It would sink. It would sink and the hatchling would drown. “Please Guz, you have to try again!”

Some poor dragon family somewhere was about to lose their child. Vunguza pressed against Isaura's legs, half-sat in the water like a cat who did not want to get wet. And it would be all his fault because of this damnable phobia. He furrowed his brow in fury at himself. No. He would not sit by and let it die. At the same time... he didn't think he could dare make it any deeper than he already was.

He focused. Focused on the water rippling around his legs. Focused on the direction the water was flowing in, how strong, how fast. Focused on what was in the water, feeling the rope, the rock it was tied to, the egg stuck in it. He willed the water to curve towards him. It resisted, too strong. He growled and tried again. A flicker of movement. Again, mentally grabbing hold of the rope and dragging it towards the shore. He stood, leaned forward. Closer, closer. He grabbed the rope in his strong jaws, pulled it back. Behind him Isaura reached over and plucked the egg from liquid death and he let go, and with the rope went a weight he hadn't realised he'd been carrying. Relief washed over his mind. He could do something.

Didn't mean he was any happier for being in the water, however. As soon as the Guardian had moved away the Snapper retreated as quickly as the mud would let him, spinning around and all but leaping onto firmer land.

Anvindr wound his way over to the two of them, laying his hands on Vunguza's head supportively. “Is it... will it be okay?” he asked Isaura as the female peeled the bag off and turned the egg over to allow the water to drain from the crack.

“I... think so?”

Giving the Snapper a comforting pat Vin slipped down and scuttled over to inspect the damage. It didn't look like a crack caused by hitting something. He thought back to when Makani had hatched, or what of it he had managed to glimpse from being locked outside. “It was starting to hatch.” he breathed, uncertainty welling up inside.

“Do you think... Did we get it in time?” Isaura began picking at the gap in the shell, worming a claw in to nudge the baby within.

Something shifted, but it was only slight. A tiny, turquoise paw could be seen touching the shell next to the opening, only to fall weakly as the tiny life coughed. Then coughed again. And kept coughing.

“Okay I'm getting it out.” Isaura declared, already prying at the delicate prison. No one stopped her as she pulled chunks of shell off, making the hole bigger until the hatchling could tumble out.

“Lovely weather fer a wee bairn tae join the world.” Guz said drily, pushing himself to his feet and wobbling over to get a closer look. “Blimey, that's a wee Ridgeback.”

Isaura had rolled the tiny dragon onto its side, gently rubbing its chest. The coughing subsided, though a fair amount of liquid had been brought up. “It would have drowned.” She beamed gratefully at the Snapper.

“But... now what?” Vin asked neither of them in particular, tapping a long finger against his chin. “Someone will bound to be looking for it. And even if we take it in, how is Matar going to react to a new hatchling?”

“Wit any luck she'll adopt it and shut up at last.”

“I've got an idea!” Without explaining any further the crimson Guardian shot inside the cave, eliciting a squawk of surprise from Ilmatar in the process, then shot back out carrying something in one forepaw. She then bounded over to the river, snatched up the bag and galloped back to the cave. Dropping the supplies on the floor she blew out a stream of hot air against the bag to dry it out, careful not to accidentally burn or set it on fire. Draping it over a protrusion in the wall to finish off she then grabbed something from the pile of stuff.

A lot of miscellaneous objects had been found within the objects looted from the serthis camp. Items they may have found useful, interesting or else simply got lumped together with the other paraphernalia. In this case a sheet of paper, some sticking tape and some coloured crayons.

Guz and Vin, having dazedly followed the excitable Guardian, watched in stunned silence as Sora got to work tearing the paper into a wave-like shape with pointy bits, not dissimilar to a Fae's crest. Then, after giving it a shake to test it, took the paper bag and flattened it on the ground as she lined up one piece of torn paper, using the tape to keep it in place. The bag was then flipped and the same done on the other side. Sora picked the project up, sticking her paw inside to open it up and examine her work. The fins weren't completely aligned but it would do.

Satisfied, the bag was placed on the ground again as the Guardian set upon it with the crayons. Going through a lot of (and breaking a few more) crayons she coloured the entirety of the bag in green and the fins in yellow. Finally she took a darker green crayon to mark in two large, walnut-shaped eyes, a nose and a happy mouth and filled the eyes with red, making sure to smudge it so the green mixed in. Lastly she used a sharp claw to poke holes in the eyes.

“Ta-dah!” she exclaimed triumphantly, now holding up what appeared to be a crude yet somehow charming mask of a Fae's head. Coloured, Vin then realised, to look like Makani.

His heart sank all the way down to his tail as his already large eyes widened further. “...you're not. Please tell me you're not.”

“What else can we do?” Sora pleaded, waving her paper mask at the shadowy cave. “She won't stop!”

Vunguza tilted his head as he observed the handiwork. “Honestly ah dinnae ken wit ye mean tae do wit that.” His blue eyes flicked up at Sora, then back at the mask searching for some connection. “Gonna finish it somehow? Turn it intae a puppet?”

Sora shook her head and arched her long neck down to look at the new hatchling.

“No! No, no, no no no no!” Vin screeched, zipping between the Guardian and the Ridgeback. “Don't, don't, don't! It won't work!”

“Wit won't work?”

The Spiral took in a very long, deep breath followed by an equally long exhale. “Sora means to put the mask on the baby and trick Ilmatar into thinking it's Makani.”

The Snapper just stared at Isaura, mouth agape.

“What else can we do?” Sora whined pathetically, paper mask rustling in her grip as she gesticulated wildly. “The baby needs a home, Ilmatar needs her child, we need Ilmatar to stop crying and come to her senses...” She fixed Vin with an orange-eyed stare, heavy jaw set.

Vin slumped on the hard ground, wrapping his arrow-headed tail around himself as he tugged at his curved horns again. This did not sit well with him. Not at all. Not helped that he needed to explain to everyone else what he'd done, where the real Makani was buried.

“You know that's a wee lassie, aye?” Vunguza mumbled doubtfully. “Maki were a boy aye?”

“And she's a Ridgeback.” Vin chimed in desperately. “She'll be able to understand her. She'll know something's not right!”

Sora scooped up the weak Ridgeback and stood at her full height. “Well I'm doing it.” she stated matter-of-factly. “I can't stand seeing her like this any more. And maybe it'll stop Guzy and Lani and Whisper from wanting to leave.”

“But Noelani and Whisper don't-” Vin started, but the Guardian had already made her move. Oh no, oh no, oh no.

“Matar!” Sora called into the cave as she strode in. “Matar, we found Maki!”

No we didn't. No we didn't!

Almost instantaneously the Coatl was with them, Sora almost tripping over the sudden Coatl in her path. “Where? Where is he? Is he okay?”

With a nod the Guardian held out the tiny Ridgeback, now sporting the crude mask. Weakly she looked out at the red-plumed dragon with her pale green eyes, coughed again, then lay her head back against Sora's arm. “Sh- ah, he was trying to check the net you two cast out together yesterday!” Isaura blurted, mind racing for a good cover-up. “But he got pulled in the water because... the net broke!” She all but pushed the baby into Ilmatar's waiting arms as she said that. “Um, h-he got washed a little way down the river. That's why we couldn't find him at first. He'll be okay though, he just needs rest!”

As Matar collected up the little bundle it was clear to see the uncertainty, a slight pause when she picked her child up. Something glinted in her eyes, other than the fresh tear that rolled down her cheek. Then she smiled and took the hatchling. “My Maki, my precious Maki.” She turned, taking the baby to the blanket pile. “I'll look after you better this time, I promise.”

Tail wagging, Sora trotted back to the boys with a huge grin on her face. “See? Told you it would work!”

“Yeah...” Vin gulped. “Yeah, it... did.” He flicked a glance up at Vunguza, who wore a similar expression. “You saw it too, didn't you?”

The Snapper nodded. “We'll just have to see how it plays out, lad.”

This seemed to deflate the proud Guardian somewhat and she flopped down next to them. “It wasn't right, was it?”

Vin sighed as all three of them watched Matar tuck the young Ridgeback into the blankets. “We should at least give her a proper name. Just in case. It wouldn't be right calling her Makani all the time. Especially... especially if we need to talk about the... the real Makani.”

“Aboot that.” Vunguza said gruffly, giving the Spiral a nudge.

Anvindr gulped.

Next Chapter

To catch everyone up, before I stopped I'd hatched a Wind egg and had the most beautiful little fae girl fall out. After some amazing scries from you guys I decided to turn her into a ridgeback with plans for lionfish/noxtide/capsule. Here she is as a hatchling since she's, well, not so little any more, heh.
Image Image
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Oooh that's an intersting twist to the masks.. really nice!

And Victoria is 16 now so she be oki :)

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

wonderful and such a clever introduction of the ridgie and using the mask

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh man I'm so excited this is back!! Really excited to see what happens with your gorgeous ridgie girl. I'm loving seeing Vin's side of things, and his continued development- especially love how he was the first one to realize how incredibly wrong it is to pass off the new ridge as Makani and rob her of her own identity.

Really curious about what's going to happen with Ilmatar, too- she's... in a rough spot. I'm rooting for her!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

To be absolutely, perfectly honest... it would not surprise me if the characters' personalities change a lot during the story. Especially after the break. Some of them jump right out at me, others I'm struggling with. I really, really hate what I did with Ilmatar. I have a small idea on how to bring her back around but I'm really unsure yet. The joys of an open-ended story that's determined by in-game events!

Because of this I'd really appreciate that if you guys notice any discrepancies throughout the story to let me know. I already feel bad for abandoning the familiars - Vin's new serthis companion in particular. I can't seem to process adding them all in and that worries me for if I get a lot of dragons :lol:

Day 79

40-50 rounds in the coliseum. With Isaura (lv11), Ilmatar (lv11) and Noelani (lv9). Off to the Blooming Grove! Oh, except Ilmatar levelled up on the first fight. Okay, off to the Forgotten Cav-
I hate everything right now.

To recap: KO'd dragons have chance to survive. Flip a coin. If Tails, the dragon is dead for good.
I knew something was up when Random.org rolled Isaura three times in a row.
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I love how your dragons personalitis are. Experiences, trauma,loss, love etc changes and shape us and I imagine dragons dragonality (dragons are not persons so can't have personalities ?) does the same?

As for the cointoss. .OUCH :(

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Syleye »

RNG is a cruel thing :(