Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

Okay, I don't feel amazing about it but how about this: Since the story ended up becoming Matar's story (nevernevernever do that in a 'locke if you don't plan to use the rule I'm about to suggest) how about... she's exempt from dying/being exalted but gets more and more crippled each time she gets KO'd? Similar to my old "dragons under lv10 that get KO'd instead receive grievous injury" in the previous Pinkerlocke. Otherwise the only other rule I've seen in place similar to this is "if the main character dies the run is over".

I feel like I'm trying to find every gosh-darned workaround in this run :lol: At least I have a good idea for the rule set if I start again...

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Im defo in with the KO idea. I am all in for the main char not being able to die! !

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I'll give it a bit to decide as I see what you guys have to say on it.

Day 39

Another round in the coli yaaaay. This time was so much easier though. Since I'm waiting to decide on Matar's fate I stuck with the available three and holy heck does Vin just destroy everything. I think he's upset, guys. Managed the full 20 rounds thanks to him, with a few close calls for everyone due to elemental vulnerability. Maki's making for a great healer after Saira and even Eurus has started shooting bolts at last. Vin is lv9, Maki lv7 and Eurus lv6.

Also fun fact: I actively change the dragons' apparel to reflect the story. Check in with the character list now and again to see what's going on :) (Warning: potential spoilers)

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I think that's a perfectly fair workaround! That way we can keep hearing Matar's story, which I'm getting quite invested in, but we still feel the impact of these big unfortunate events.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Right. I had a good think about how this will all work and have decided to redo my rules a bit. Before I put them all into action I'd love to hear everyone's feedback (I know I can't force people to say something but I'd seriously appreciate getting as much feedback as possible to make this as enjoyable for everyone as I can, including myself). The OP will not be changed until I'm sure people are happy with my choices.

ImageDragons are not exalted until pronounced dead in the story. Dead dragons can be "rescued" by readers.
ImageDeaths during Food-based coliseum rounds are considered knock outs. The round is ended but no one dies. KO'd dragons receive permanent injury for each KO. Deaths during Death Streaks are always considered as deaths.**
ImageReaders can vote to save dead dragons, considering them knocked out instead.**
ImageDragons that reach lv25 can be retired. If they do fight they cannot die.
ImageReaders can vote to prevent a dragon from dying, period. These dragons are considered "Beloved".
ImageGuardians that are born into the clan must leave at 2 months of age to go on their Search (roll 1-100. If the roll is 90-100 their Charge involves the clan and will stay). Beloved Guardians will always travel with the clan to find their Charge or else have the clan be their Charge.
ImageGifting is allowed. A familiar must be pulled before a gifted egg is allowed to hatch or a gifted dragon can join. Dragons must be level 1 to avoid cheating.
ImageScavenged and gifted eggs are exempt from the coin flip when hatched and are allowed one breed change that must be applied by the next story entry or else be stuck as their initial breed.

**I don't know if I want to have both of these active since having only Death Streak deaths severely limits when a dragon can die already, given that battle stones seem to be rarer and have the possibility of having nothing happen at all. Feedback appreciated!

I also think there needs to be a limit on how many dragons can be Beloved at once otherwise the entire group will be immortal and defeat the point of the challenge :lol:

Lastly, I'm considering removing the Guest mechanic. Don't get me wrong; I love the idea of it and had fun writing for the two that have shown up already, but it doesn't feel fair or fun when only two people are offering (don't worry Krysteena, I haven't forgotten you!) since I'm essentially bouncing between them. I'd hoped for an element of randomness and surprise to see who gets to join next. Plus the offering system got botched up pretty much immediately.

I greatly look forward to seeing what you guys have to say on this.

With that out of the way, here's the next update:

Day 40

*Squeaks.* Egg hatching time!

More rare eyes. Even though it was a Fire egg I swear I thought I'd hatched another Plagueling :lol:

Same as before - go forth and experiment with her in the Scrying Workshop! My favourite previews will determine what she changes into (if at all) :D

And yes, even though the rules are not updated yet I am putting the "scavenged eggs are exempt from the coin flip" rule into action right now.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I like the rules!!! Much better than the strict ones you had up. Gives more flexibility and thus ensuring that the story can move along! I can see how the guest feature can be hard to incorporate so I completely understand wanting to cut that out. It really did not mean anything to me I just wanted to support :D Limits to beloved ones I will leave up to you :D

You have some serious gen one luck!! My scry of her

Image Image Image

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

If you don't want to keep the guest concept rolling then I completely understand - this is your nuzlocke and if it's a bit of a hassle for you then you do what you need to. If there's only two guests being offered each time it's a little less exciting and I don't think occasionally throwing a third in would do too much. I mean, maybe it would? Idk, it's your decision after all :)

Also, had a tinker around with your new girl. Kept her a Guardian for the sake of the Guardian Charge roll but she does look very nice as a Ridgeback as well~
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

For clarity's sake (and cos I'm a derp), since Tarn has a dragon offered and Krysteena is interested in the next one I will still keep and add those guests. However yes. The idea was for it to be random and surprising by pulling from a list of dragons who would stay on that list until they'd been rolled, wherein the owner could offer up a new dragon. Sadly it simply doesn't work as effectively with so few participants.

If you guys are okay with it purely to see your dragons show up and interact with mine then I'm all for keeping it! I'm just worried that the mechanic itself isn't as exciting. In which case I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it should work. Right now (again cos I'm a derp and forgot my own rule) when a trinket is pulled and I flip a Tails I ask you guys if you'd like to offer a dragon to show up and you guys offer a dragon each. Then the next time it happens the process is repeated with people possibly offering different dragons to the original and me picking the one who didn't have their dragon show up last time.

What I could do instead is have you three each throw up a guest dragon at a new "round" of guests. So after I've included Tarn's girl and whoever Krysteena chooses to go in afterwards all three of you would offer a dragon each and I go in order, then once the last of the three is done you all add a new dragon.

Eg: Tarn offers an Imperial, Krys offers a Spiral and Lupis offers a (certain) Ridgeback. I would include Tarn's Imp that time, then at the next trinket/tails I'd include Krys' Spiral and finally Lupis' Ridgeback on the third. Then when another happens we start again in the order you post in at the time with Krys offering a Wildclaw, Lupis a Mirror and Tarn a Tundra (for instance). And no they don't have to be different breeds, it's just an example :lol:

Of course there's no saying how often I'll get the combo but hopefully it keeps things clear and fair. Still I'm completely open to suggestions if you ever have an idea :)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

You dont need to include the dragon I put up. I just put them up so you don't feel there is no support ;). You should totally do what you feel is best for the story linie. I can imagine it be hard to work a story around characters who you don't own..specially with my restrictions ;)

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I'm okay with just having the guests appear as you've suggested - this nuzlocke is already exciting as is, you don't need to worry yourself about every little detail :hug: the fact that we can offer guests is already enough and gives us that little bit of interaction alongside the story you're giving us.

What you've got figured out sounds like it'll work well for what you're after and I don't see a problem at all :) Much simpler than trying to get that random aspect out of 2/3 suggestions, too~
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

The new guesting change sounds great! I have no problem with it whatsoever, and as much as the original concept sounded neat, the revised rule sounds like it fits the audience much better. Personally I love seeing our dragons get involved even if it's predictable who's coming up next- it's just so fun to see what happens with them!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Sorry for the lack of updates yesterday. Fridays are rather draining as I do voluntary work at a charity shop and it takes me over an hour to get there, so I was too tired to post. Today's update will be yesterday's and tomorrow's will be today's as they're both RP segments. Hopefully it'll get back to normal after that.

Day 41

Chapter 13

It had begun to rain. A blessing from the heavens. And a curse. Billows of smoke thinned and dissipated as the raging flames were drowned by the falling liquid, ending the rampage. Ash and soot clumped together in soggy piles, turning the ground grey and muddy. Puddles formed , the normally life-giving water made nigh undrinkable by the debris. Only the most desperate animals drank from them as they finally calmed from their stampede, their homes ruined, seeking new refuge.

It was getting late in the day, darkness made darker by the heavy clouds and smothering smoke. Vin and Makani sat solemnly next to the remaining still body of Ilmatar, the former covered in sticky clay from digging out a grave for Saira. This was hardly the best place for a burial at the best of times and he felt terrible that the beautiful Wind dragon had to be buried in mud and stone. The Windsinger's children were meant to be returned to the sky, not dumped in a hole in the ground. What was he to do in this situation though?

On his way back the Spiral had found the empty shell of some large tortoise, big enough to use as temporary shelter. Using a stick he prayed was sturdy enough the shell was lifted like a canopy over the three, protecting them from getting much wetter. It had taken a while but he'd been able to dab down Matar's fur using the other pelt. A hard job for the much smaller, spindly dragon. She was an absolute mess now. He winced at the sight. At least she's dry?

Makani, who had been understandably silent through the ordeal, was shaking like a frail leaf both from fear and the encroaching cold. His fins were closed, pressed tightly to his cheeks as his crest collapsed back along his neck, arms wrapped around his chest and tail wrapped around his legs. He leaned against the Spiral for hopeful comfort, even just to feel the other dragon.

At the touch Vin looked down, saw the Fae shivering and shuddered himself. They couldn't stay here. Not much longer. He didn't know the first thing about survival, normally letting others make fire and shelter and all that and otherwise slipping into the cracks of other dragons' dens. Gingerly the spotted Spiral lifted Maki into his coils, letting the hatchling get the full benefit of his long body as he coiled up and resting his head on his back to watch the red Coatl's breathing.

She's been through so much. Vin realised, flinching at the still-raw memory of his alchemical failure. Please wake up.

Vin must have fallen asleep at some point as he was aroused by the sharp prodding of a tiny claw on his face. “Fin! Fin wake up! There's people out there!” hissed a small voice into his ear. The Spiral jolted, slamming his horned head against the underside of the stony shell and cursing. Maki's hands went to his mouth as his fins flared out in surprise. “S-sorry I didn't mean to make you jump. Did... did you say a “bad word”?”

Shaking his head to clear the stars from his vision Vin blushed under his dark scales. Matar wouldn't be happy with him for saying something like that in front of the little one. “Let's just go see who is here!” he said hurriedly, uncoiling himself after the Fae had climbed down. Gesturing for Maki to stay put he slithered to the edge of their rudimentary shelter, peeking around the rim to catch sight of whoever had arrived. It was still dark out, though the rain had stopped, but Vin's large eyes were able to pick out shapes in the gloom. And his ears the sounds of paws slapping through mud and voices chatting to one another. One male, two female with one of those sounding really, really young. He snaked around a little further, then recoiled at how close they were.

“Did we really have to come out here at night?” came a gruff, irritated voice from the biggest shape that Vin presumed to be an adult Guardian. Something fluffy and insectoid flitted around at her side. Try as he might Vin couldn't quite tell what it was from his position.

A clicking sound came from the smaller, feathery-looking one. Coatl? “Well I mean we could have gone sooner and gotten scorched by the super-heated air, or we could have waited until morning when everything was washed away by the rain.” he drawled, voice slathered in sarcasm.

“We wouldn't have needed to get so close if we'd come sooner.” the large female countered as she poked at something on the ground. “Does this dirt look disturbed to you?”

Crap, that's Saira's grave! Vin panicked.

A large splash heralded the arrival of the smallest, whom Vin presumed to be an adolescent Guardian not yet out of her hatchling mindset. “Ooooooh! Buried treasure maybe? Or, or a trap! Could someone be hiding something here and did a reaaaaaaally bad job at protecting it?”

“I'm not sure I want to find out.” rumbled the adult. She heaved a sigh. “Why did you two have to come with me again?”

“Cos I'm also interested in knowing what caused the fire and seeing if we could make use of something here.” the male explained pointedly, “and heck if anyone else will look after her.”

A small, feigned gasp. “You meanie! I have a name you know!” The lack of offence suggested that those two did this frequently enough that it was now a game. At least to the young one.

“Whatever, shortstack.”

The adult seemed less enthused. “I do wish you'd show more respect to Isaura. After all, she was...” she trailed off, lowering her great head to whisper something to the Coatl that Vin couldn't make out.

“'sides, I'm as big as you are!” the small Guardian declared in a way that sounded like she'd stuck out her tongue. Before anyone else spoke she added, “Can we pleeeaaaase dig up whatever this is? It might be my Charge!”

The Coatl snorted. The adult Guardian chuckled. “You're too young to have a Charge.” A large hand lifted to pat the fluffy thing, presumably her own Charge. “Curious as I am, no. We need to see what happened here and if we can get anything out of it.”

Phew...

An indignant whine from the young one. “Awwwww but I want to have a Charge!”

“You've had a new “Charge” every damn week.” replied the Coatl. “What was your latest one? That stupid seashell that looked like every other seashell on the beach?”

“It's not stupid!”

“It was kind of pretty actually.”

“See? Aunt Vila agrees!”

“But it's not- It wasn't really-” The Coatl threw up his short arms and turned back to the grave. “You two go scavenging or playing in the mud or whatever. I'm gonna find out what this is.”

“Stoooooooooooooooooooooooooop!”

All three shot around at the new, panicky voice. “Please please please please please do not touch that!” Vin begged, revealing himself from behind the shell. “Please my friend died and I had to bury her and that's her grave and oh gods please don't do that.”

The trio blinked at the Spiral, almost invisible in the encroaching nightfall, then looked between each other, at the grave, back at the Spiral. “What happened out here?” asked the large Guardian in her rumbling voice. “Who died? How?”

“Where'd you come from?” the smaller one joined in, running up and almost touching noses with Vin who drew back quickly. Young as she was she was still a Guardian. Nose to tail she was as long as he was but from claw to horn she was much, much bigger.

The ropey dragon pressed back against the shell, caught sight of Makani peeking out and waved at him to go back. “From here?” Vin offered, not quite sure what to say in the moment. “Well I mean I'm not from here but I ended up here and have been here all day because my friends got hurt and one died and the other won't wake up and-”

“Breathe.” the adult Guardian said, not unkindly.

He did. “I'm sorry I do that a lot and I'm just... just so worried for my friend and miserable that the other died and...” He trailed off, looked down, saw Maki was still there. “Can you help us?” Vin managed after a moment. “There's a hatchling here too and I don't think we'd survive the night. Please? Help us get somewhere safer?”

“Us?” the Coatl echoed, head tilted, arms folded.

The Spiral wrung his hands uncertainly. Better show than tell, he supposed, as he slunk inside the shelter and pushed it over to reveal the unconscious Ilmatar and tiny Makani, who squeaked and hid under the red Coatl's wing. “Us.” Vin clarified, waving an arm at the others.

“Wow I thought that was a boulder.” the young Guardian said far too loudly. “Or did you guys live under a rock your whole lives?”

“That's not what that means.” the Coatl muttered, pinching the broad bridge of his snout.

Ignoring her companions the large Guardian, who Vin could now tell had similar colouration to himself – dark of body, red of wing and brownish patches that glinted in the dwindling light - closed her pink eyes briefly as she considered her options. “If you tell us what happened I will carry your friend.” she said finally, looking sternly down at the Spiral.

“Of course! Yes, I shall!” Vin exclaimed, glad to have had such... could you call something like this luck? Whatever the case the best dragon had arrived at the best time. Well, not best time. It would've been better if she'd been here sooner but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

“Where to?”

Vin pondered. Saltwind Heights wasn't far. But would it be safe with the scorched forest and the thick mud? Not to mention how dark it had gotten. His thoughts were interrupted by the Coatl. “I think I saw a cave on the way here. Will that do?”

“If it's big enough.” the Guardian replied. “It's a start at least. Help me get... her? Is that a her? Sorry Eurus I have a hard time telling Coatl males and females apart.”

The Coatl, apparently named Eurus, leaned over to inspect Ilmatar, sniffing her. “Her.” he confirmed as he gently pushed his arms under her belly. He lifted her high enough for the large Guardian to stick her snout under the limp body, pushing her long neck through and carefully rolling Matar onto her back. “So, who are you guys?”

Vin had been watching to make sure Ilmatar was okay as she was lifted up and hadn't expected to be spoken to just yet. He started, looked at the Coatl who, he realised, also had very dark fur. Something nagged at him that it wasn't right, but he pushed the thought away as he registered the question. “Oh! Ah, well. My name is Anvindr or just Vin I prefer Vin and I came from the Scarred Wasteland to practice alchemy and I met Ilmatar and her friend and accidentally-”

“Names.” Eurus cut him of after gawping in disbelief. “I don't need your life story, just your names. Spirals, honestly.”

“And what happened right here.” added the large Guardian as she shifted her wings to better balance her cargo.

“And if you have some neat stuff!” the smaller, red Guardian chimed in.

“Not now Sora...”

“Aww...”

Once the site had been cleared, the pelts rolled and tied up and the alchemical supplies and potions put safely away the group set off into the night with Eurus leading the way. Vin, with Makani riding on his back, took one last, long look at the place he'd had to bury Saira as they passed. His eyes stung as he whispered, “Good bye”.

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I really like Vin! Poor boy. . The last sentence were so filled with emotions. . I defo vote for him to be a beloved.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

UGH I LOVE VIN he's absolutely and for sure my favorite, and I also vote that he becomes a Beloved. He has such a good heart, and it's been so fun to watch him grow from a slightly unhinged villain to a sweet, socially confused boy who's realizing what it's like to have a family.

Excited for these new faces, too! I'm assuming the tiny guardian is the hatched egg kid, and we know Eurus- I wonder if the adult guardian will join in, too?

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Ah that was my bad - the adult Guardian was supposed to be Tarn's dragon Vila but I couldn't find a good spot to properly introduce her. I'll go back and rewrite some of it so it's clearer. So no, she won't be joining. But yes, the tiny one is the girl who hatched from the egg :)

I'm so glad you guys love Vin! I admit I had absolutely no clue what to do with him but whenever I get to his parts my fingers move on their own most of the time, hehe. The best characters are the ones who make themselves I feel.

Update soon!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 42

Chapter 14

“Fin?”

“Yes?”

“When will mother wake up?”

He knew he'd asked that question many times since the accident but Makani just had to know. Saira was missing, mother was still sleeping and now lots of new, big dragons were showing up. They'd made it to the big hole in the wall where the really big dragon had laid mother down on the fluffy black sheet. Vin had kept his word and told her what had happened, to which she'd stayed a little longer to make sure everyone else was comfortable. Turned out Vila, as her name was, couldn't stay long and had only wanted to find out what happened but had been held back by the two younger ones. She'd left not long before Maki asked the question again, he and Vin sat against a wall while the two others made hot orange light.

“I really don't know.” Vin replied tiredly. Not tired-tiredly, his mind and heart were in more knots than he tied himself into when he got upset.

“And where did Saya go?”

For a long, long while the grey Spiral said nothing, staring at the opposite side of the rock-hole. Maki glanced over once, twice, three times, didn't see what the long dragon was looking at and thought about poking him again. Before he could move however Vin finally spoke. “She's...” Only to stop again, frowning, thinking hard. “She's in a really, really deep sleep.”

The green Fae perked up. “That means she'll wake up soon though right? Like mother?”

Vin sighed loudly, placing a hand on his face. “This is going to be so hard...” he muttered to himself. After another long pause he reached into the bag he'd gotten from the place with the friendly dragons and pulling out something long and white with a little black bit sticking out. “See this candle?” he asked, holding the stick-thing out for the Fae to see.

“Uh-huh.” Makani nodded, tilting his head to examine it.

The Spiral adjusted his position so he was laying flatter on the ground and turned the can-dal over a few times so Makani could see it all, then pointed at the black bit on top. “This represents us.” He took out a wooden stick, dragged it over the ground until light happened and pressed it to the black thing, which also made light. “And this is our life. When we're awake, like we are now, our life-fire burns bright like this, see?” Back to the bag, this time pulling out something like a lid and held it over the light. “When we go to sleep it goes dim, like this.” he lowered the lid-thing and the light went small.

“But it's still there.” Maki pointed out happily.

Vin nodded, removing the lid so the light could grow back. “And when we wake up, it comes back like this. Now Mata- your mother is like this.” Again the lid came down, further this time so the light got really tiny.

“Her “life-fire” is low?” Maki asked, fins folding back slightly. “But then you just take off the lid and it comes back, right?”

“Right.” the Spiral replied, doing just that. “But we're not candles. When our fire is low it takes a very, very, very long time for it to come back like the flame on the candle did. But her flame is there and she will come back.”

“And Saya?” Another long pause. Behind them they could hear the two young dragons arguing as the orange-light-fire crackled and filled the rock-hole with light and warmth. Vin was visibly shaking as he looked between the can-dal and the lid-thing, large eyes shining with wet, glaring at the hand with the lid in it. “Fin?”

“Sai... Saira's... life-flame is...” Vin trembled as he brought the lid right down over the flame, a little twist of smoke escaping from a hole at the top, then lifted the lid to show the flame had gone out. “This is Saira.”

Without understanding exactly what this meant a sharp pang hit Makani in the heart, making him bring both hands to his chest. His red-green eyes began to sting. “It's... gone?”

“If... if... if a candle... is allowed to... to burn all the time...” Vin swallowed, closed his eyes, grit his teeth. “It can burn for a long, long time. We're the same. We keep going until we reach our end, when there's... there's... nothing... left to burn.” His grip on the candle and lid tightened, squeezing them hard. “B-but sometimes... something gets in the way!” he yelled suddenly, tossing the lid as hard as he could across the cave and startling the other two.

“Hey, watch it!” Eurus shouted as the lid bounced off the wall next to him.

Makani turned to see where the lid had landed and how the others reacted to it, saw the black Coatl staring back at him, squeaked and turned back to Vin, who had since collapsed into a pile of scaly coils with his arms over his face. “She was my only friend.” he managed in a faint, strained voice between sobs.

Wet began to collect in the Fae's eyes too, streaking past his face-fins which had drooped all the way down. He lifted a tiny hand and placed it on Vin's nose, making the Spiral open his eyes to see him. Makani then wrapped his arms around Vin's snout in the best hug he could manage, closing his eyes as he rubbed against the black scales. Warmth surrounded him as he felt Vin place a hand around his much smaller body, pulling him close.

In the dark depths Makani lay on his back, staring up at the very close roof. Vin had managed to find a crack in the wall leading to a smaller cave-hole, possibly used by some small animal, and brought the two inside it as means to escape the small red-and-blue Guardian who had decided to stick her nose in to see what was wrong. Not in any mood to explain Vin had slithered inside quickly, motioning for him to follow. So he had and now they were both trying to sleep. Trying. It wasn't working. To make himself more comfortable Makani rolled onto his side, finding himself face-to-face with a very awake Vin.

“Can't sleep either, huh?” the Spiral asked quietly, rolling an eye to better regard the tiny Fae. His voice was weak and raw from crying.

“No.” Maki replied softly, clasping his hands together like he'd seen Vin do all the time. “I was... thinking. Can we...” He stopped and looked away.

The black face lifted slightly. “Hm?”

“Can we go back? To where it happened?”

It lifted right up this time, almost hitting the roof. “What? Why?”

“I-I don't know. I just... want to see it again.”

Vin's jaw dropped, showing rows of teeth and a long, thin tongue. “I don't understand why why would you- that's where- just why?” Makani didn't respond, fins and crest pressed against his body. “...I'm sorry.” Vin apologised weakly. “Those guys want to see where we were and what happened too. We'll go when it's light. Makani nodded silently and the boys settled back down to at least pretend to sleep. Tonight was going to be a restless one.

As expected, the place where it all happened was a disaster area. The trees were black charcoal, barely standing against the new breeze. Black flecks were pulled off, dancing in the air, carried off across the Windswept Plateau. Smoke replaced leaves in a thick mockery of the foliage, coiling around branches and lifting into the skies which were choked with heavy black clouds. It could rain again soon. Underfoot the ground was ravaged. No grass remained in the torn, pock-marked mud where the pounding of many hooves had turned out, torn it. Some of the prints were filled with rainwater, ash settled in a thin, grey film on top of each one. Scales of other creatures unfortunate enough to be caught in the stampede littered the ground, the purple hide of such a one left behind as a predator was scared off from its meal. The desolation spread for acres, even coming close to the fisher-village of Saltwind Heights in the distance.

A low whistle was blown from between Eurus' lips as he took it all in. “And this happened because the giant tornado is blowing the wrong way now?” Not waiting for an answer he bounded forward to inspect the damage, licking a finger and holding it up to test the wind direction for proof. Lightning nature in action. His light-blue eyes scanned each and every hoof-print, followed the direction they'd come from, launched himself into the air with a flurry of feathers to get a better view.

“Wow I've never seen trees like this before.” Isaura said with wonder, making her way to the nearest burned husk and reaching out.

“Wait no don't touch-!” Vin tried, reaching out to try and pull the Guardian away. Too late, a red paw lay on the crispy bark. No reaction, only a confused look.

“Uh, why? It's fine! Look!” she patted the tree over and over, dislodging some dry flakes.

Vin glanced down at Makani in bewilderment, then moved over to also touch the tree. And drew back with a yelp. “No that's definitely still hot!” he claimed, waving his scorched fingers around to lessen the pain.

“Weird. How come it doesn't hurt me then?”

“Cos you're Fire flight, stupid!” came Eurus' voice from above as he circled over and disappeared over the treeline again.

“...Ohhhh.” Vin and Sora said together, looked at each other, started laughing. “Jinx!”

Makani meanwhile had made his way over to where Saira and her mother had danced, had helped him start learning to fly. He flared his wings, flapped a few times in memory. Soon, he felt, he could do that too. But that wasn't what held his full attention. He had gathered together some feathers that had come loose from both of them during the accident, along with a few strips of the silky material that made Saira's dress, now reddened by blood. Wing beats behind him, something landing in the sodden earth.

“What'cha got there, kiddo?” It was Eurus, the dark, yellow-streaked Coatl. Like his mother. Makani lifted his head to acknowledge him but was, quite literally, crestfallen. Saira had told him that Coatl couldn't understand Fae talk. Did Eurus know this? Maki didn't try, gut feeling telling him that no, the other feathered dragon wouldn't understand. Instead he moved to the side to show him. “Huh. Odd things to want to collect.” Eurus mused, taking a good look at each one. He picked up one of Saira's feathers. “Pretty though. Facet perhaps? I've known dragons with glass wings back home.” He picked up another and shook them, creating the still-pleasing chiming sounds despite the damage. “Yo! Sora! Other guy! Get yer butts over here!”

Isaura, or Sora as Eurus addressed her, was first to arrive in a splash of water as she pounced from puddle to puddle like a giant wolf puppy. “Yeeeeeeees Russ?” Vin snaked in afterwards, baulking at the sight.

“Could ya do me a favour and tell me what the little guy says?” He tapped the side of his head. “We kinda don't hear fairy dragons too well.”

“Sure!” Sora bumped Maki with her snout, grinning. “What'cha doing? Ooh ooh! Is this your Charge? Mine might be here too!” She wagged her long tail excitedly. Behind her Eurus groaned.

“How many times...?”

Hands clasped together Makani stepped back from the young Guardian and then gestured at the collection. “These belonged to Saya and my mother. I wanted something to remember Saya with. Her feathers... I liked the sound they made. And mother's feathers are so pretty. Oh, and this is part of what Saya wore.” He pointed to each in turn, then looked between the three. Vin seemed like he could cry again.

“Huh, that's kinda sweet.” Eurus said, folding his stubby arms once Sora had, in her own words, relayed Makani's explanation. “Kinda morbid, but kinda sweet.”

Maki held up the tattered silk. “I want to make something out of them. So they can always be with me.”

It had taken a few minutes of back-and-forthing between the four of them after Vin protested about Maki's decision. Yes he missed Saira, yes keeping the feathers was a nice idea. But the silk? Making them all into clothes? It didn't feel right. Plus the constant reminder from the chiming feathers would drive him mad. Eventually they managed to placate him enough for him to relent from arguing, though he still felt uneasy about it. After Vin and Maki told the full story of what happened they made their way back to the cave. When they arrived, they were in for a surprise.

“Mother?” Maki squeaked, seeing movement inside. He rushed in first, followed closely by the rest of the group. Sure enough, Ilmatar was finally awake and moving sluggishly around. She looked up at his approach, not fully focused. He didn't care, flinging himself against a foreleg and holding tightly. Her other hand came around, picked him up, pressed him against her face.

“I'm so glad you're safe.” she murmured. She then looked at the others, full of confusion. Anvindr she recognised and glared at uneasily, but the others? And where was Saira? “I missed a lot, didn't I?”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh I love how you worked that Makanis apparel is a mix of Sarai and Matar. And the cloth is now red because Sarai is dead.. soo sad.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooh, I was wondering what Makani's apparel meant- aw man that's heartbreaking, but I love it. And I really like how Vin explained life and death, and his bonding with the little fae! They're so sweet.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 43

Matar, Russ and Vin all got rolled today. Only did the minimum 20 rounds, however we've finally moved into the Sandswept Delta. They're doing surprisingly well there despite their sacrificed strength/intellect for vitality. Slow but steady, though Vin is still proving to be a zippy little monster. Vin is now lv10, Matar lv9 and Eurus lv8. Also a distinct lack of plant food and the new familiar.

Buh. I'll be honest guys the last bunch of pulls were all materials and I seriously can't think of that much story right now, so I'm gonna skip the missing day all together. To tell the absolute truth I've been using Vare's Pinkerton pulls as well if there's something I'm really not in the mood for (usually chain writing or meat items) which I'm grateful for today cos at this point I'd sooner fight than write. I am so sorry for this and do not recommend it to anyone else as I don't want to promote multi-accounts and possibly getting people in trouble.

Something I've considered for this is a forfeit system where I'm forced to do something if I decide to skip the day's pull like, say, a few rounds in the coli under specific rules, or perhaps think of an alternate option for materials like I did for trinkets. Let me know if you have any ideas on this.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I think you should do what you feel like. Only write when the inspiration is over you :) Forcing something upon oneself is never a good thing... and all ppl have days where they just feel flat and unenergitic (i am making up my own words whee). I dont think you should feel too tied down by the rules hun :D