Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

To be honest one of the optional rules is that it's okay to take a day off or two or ten and that it doesn't need to strictly be a daily thing. While I do put that to effect now and again I don't want to decide to take the day off just cos I don't feel like doing what I've been given. Hence an additional option for materials or a forfeit for not wanting to do something.

Day 44

Random.org cannot make up its mind lately :lol: Another guest! This time it's from Krysteena :)

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

This nuzlocke is for your enjoyment - if you want to adjust or change rules in order to enjoy it, then go ahead :) Also, I'd like to slide Makani forward as a beloved dragon. He's too precious, bless his hypothetical cotton socks :'D

For a guest, my clan is fairly limited in terms of who has lore and who would wander around a bit but Venril definitely does his fair share of wandering in order to find reagents for his craft so~
Bam. He's a fancy boy, will flirt with anything that moves (although he won't let it get anywhere, if his awful tact doesn't get in the way beforehand) and is the alchemist of Shal'anir. Likes poison, will definitely drink it to test it, and has a way of silently judging dragons. He also does have a nasty scar on the right side of his face from where some poison-making backfired. I suppose he could be spotted whilst looking for materials? Or maybe someone goes to eat something and he makes himself known with a "that's probably not a good idea," or something? Idk, I'll let your creativity go wild with this boy :'D he also does have lore but it's very dramatic because I can't help myself
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Ooh he looks fun :D I'm sure I'll find a way to include him effectively ;D

Regarding Beloved dragons... we do need a limit of some sort I think. It doesn't matter right this moment but as I said there is the risk of immortalising the entire team. I will ask now though for everyone's opinions on who else should be. Both Tarn and Lupis vote for Vin so he will be unless Krys has a good reason why he shouldn't, likewise Krys votes for Maki so I'd like to hear Tarn and Lupis' thoughts for him too.

Also there's the option to "let go" of Beloved dragons if it's felt that they've performed as much as they could and it's time for them to go. Matar will likely be exempt from this due to being the "main" character but even she might reach a point depending on how the story works out.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I thought of your limit and whilst I think Makani is cute I stick with Vin. Lore wise Makani is so small so whilst I would hate for stuff to happen to him to me it is more likely than the fast Vin, who are very good at both seeing in the dark and hiding. Morning thoughs so might change my mind when I wake up more but those are my current thoughts.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

If the others have both voted for Vin then I can also move my vote over to Vin, I don't mind. Maki is just cute and I love him :lol: But if the others would prefer Vin then I'm not particularly fussed~ :)

I would say, though, that as a limit for beloved dragons, it might be a good idea to just have the one - and that one beloved can be changed around depending on how it all goes?
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

This is part of the reason why I'm reluctant to update the rules just yet, cos I wanted to see how it would work out in terms of management, enjoyment and fairness. I've changed my mind a bit (and this will probably happen a lot while I'm finalising everything especially if other people want to use them) so now I'd like you guys to pick which one of these rules you'd rather see in place:

ImageDeaths during Food-based coliseum rounds are considered knock outs. The round is ended but no one dies. KO'd dragons receive permanent injury for each KO. Deaths during Death Streaks are always considered as deaths.
ImageReaders can vote to save dead dragons, considering them knocked out instead.
ImageReaders can vote to prevent a dragon from dying, period. These dragons are considered "Beloved".

Matar will remain unable to die regardless until we decide she's fulfilled her role and bring back the RNG. However having all three of the above rules at once is starting to sound confusing (not helped that I'm a twit who can't decide her own damn rules :lol: ) and possibly game-breaking regarding the actual Nuzlocke element.

Day 45

I actually decided to let this one through, though I regretted it when I saw that Isaura had grown up and, indeed, got rolled along with Vin and Maki. However the first couple rounds went off well with the enemies attacking the boys instead, allowing her to gain some levels. I think I've overdone it with vitality at this point but that decision worked amazingly well and even allowed Sora to develop some personality. She's the excitable one who never takes anything seriously even in combat. She plays around and misses a lot but when she does hit she packs a wallop.

Thanks to the exp boost Vin is now lv11, Maki lv9 and Sora lv8. I actually managed to enjoy this round as it went so well until Sora got 1-shot by a super-effective crit in the Blooming Grove.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Hmm if I have to pick one i would say

Readers can vote to prevent a dragon from dying, period. These dragons are considered "Beloved".

But tbh i like them all ;) I don't mind you making your own rules you could see it as a rp story with some element of nuslocke .. or your version of a dnd game mixed with nuslocke. . So instead of a coin flip you roll a dnd dice depending on the dragons stats etc. .. could even have rp stats which you dnd rolled at the begining. .
E.g. Vin got a rogue like feel about him... I dont know much of dnd so not sure if rogues can be alchemist but I can't see why not.

Lots of options :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Hmmmm yeah, I think I like the "Beloved" rule the most! And maybe limiting the number of beloveds by the size of the clan? So say, because the clan right now is only a few dragons, just allow one Beloved- but if the clan gets big, start allowing another one.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

In line with the others, the 'Beloved' rule is a good shout. If we can save a dragon when they're knocked out, then the whole thing of 'oh no they've been knocked out' is lost, as there's not so much risk. I also agree with Lupis that a limit on Beloved dragons is a good idea and that they're more in line with the clan size :)
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Rules (tentatively) updated. I decided based on what you guys have said that up to 1/5th of the current group can be Beloved, rounded down (so there will only be one Beloved for the time being). This excludes Matar until we feel her role in the story is over, given she is the unintentional "main" character at this point. So if everyone is definitely happy with it Vin is the current Beloved of the group.

The other two rules (voting to save a downed dragon and food-based deaths are only KOs) have been removed but I still have the coin flip for downed dragons having a chance to survive.

Day 46

Speaking of group size...

Meet Noelani :)

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Oh she's very pretty! Very soft and gentle to look at~ I can't wait to see how you fit her in with the story :D
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uhh nice girl!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 47

Pretend Isaura got Skink as well. (It's taken me this long to get 6/8 orange ooze for Eurus' Skink and I don't have nearly enough treasure to make that one either. Oops.)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 48

Chapter 15

It was morning of the following day, with the previous spent helping Ilmatar regain her strength once more. While yet not fully healed she'd insisted on getting some fresh air outside the confining cave. Now she found herself on a small lip of rock protruding from the cliff in which the cave was set, overlooking the devastation brought on by the fire. Below the remains of the forest they'd encountered smouldered sadly, wisps of smoke still weaving from the black husks that once were trees. Over the horizon more thick, grey clouds rose and in the distance the sound of voices as dragons worked to contain new blazes.

Matar flicked her tail as she watched a gout of water spew, presumably from the collective mouths of several Water dragons, over a flickering swath, drowning it. Her green eyes then turned to the whirlwind, the Eternal Storm, the Twisting Crescendo. Normally it was a sight of majesty. Of hope. Joy. Now her heart was full of contempt as, in its now reverse cycle, drew in destruction from the neighbouring Plague and Fire realms. Oh but to be able to fly again with ease! And the thermals created by the heat would allow her to go higher, higher! ...but was that truly worth the price of their land being torn apart? Made sick? Ravaged?

With one of her signature sighs the Coatl flopped down into a more comfortable position as she began to go over the events of the past few days. While Anvindr was the most knowledgable about the situation it was Maki she'd asked to tell her what happened through the new Guardian girl. While she'd overly embellished the story with her own opinions and descriptions Matar refused to get help from either of her darker-coloured companions.

Vin she still refused to trust. How could she? He may be trying to prove that he “wasn't a bad person” but he'd still caused the death of her first friend and failed to save Saira after the stampede. It sickened her to see how close Makani had gotten to the Spiral in the interim and would frequently spirit the Fae away should the boys get too close for her liking. The only help he could offer were in the potions he'd finally perfected thanks to that Ridgeback a while ago and his translation for Maki when the other two weren't about.

Eurus she couldn't bring herself to trust either even thought their initial meetings went well. It was great to meet another of her own species, however it was unnatural and a bad omen for Coatl to have dull colouration. His purple wings would have made up for it had they been a few shades brighter. As he was he was dark, he might be ill and he meant bad luck for all of them. It was extremely difficult for Matar not to flaunt her own colours in front of him. The urge to unfurl her shiny red wings, shake out her copper-red fur or even let these stupid scale-like protrusions glint in the firelight when he was nearby. If he noticed he didn't say anything. Most of his time was spent brooding in a corner.

In fact he was well aware of what he represented. During Matar's recovery Vin had gotten the grey dragon to tell the group about himself and Isaura, where they came from, what Vila had started to say but had the words lost. And of course, Matar had interjected, why they were still here.

As it turned out both younglings had been abandoned with Vila taking them in to care for them until they were old enough to travel alone. Eurus was by far the older of the pair, his story being that he'd been kicked out of the lair as a hatchling because of his unfortunate colouration. In a twist of irony it had been that colouration that had saved him from being eaten as he blended in with the grey hues of the Shifting Expanse until a worker, who had been aiding with the construction of the new generator, stumbled across him.

Isaura on the other hand had been left out of greed. Her family being so interested in the new volcano that was forming off-shore that they'd completely forgotten the lone egg. She'd hatched in a dark, burnt-out den and would have died had her squeaks not echoed far enough up the tunnels for her to have been rescued by an elderly couple who shared that passage.

Both had been taken to a multi-flight orphanage where they grew up together. Eurus resenting his family, refusing to speak of them and avoiding most other dragons entirely. Especially other Coatl. Sora however loved life and actively played with the other hatchlings. Vila had originally been brought in to teach the young Guardians what to expect later in life, initiating Sora's desire to constantly find “Charges” before the pull of the Search had even begun. Instead she'd fallen in love with the red-and-blue child and felt sorry for the dull Coatl, taking them under her wing for a time.

As for the final question, neither were sure either. Sora had said it was because this group seemed like fun and Russ had simply shrugged.

Matar huffed again as she lifted herself up, stretched and made her way down to the once-grassy ground below. She was getting hungry and their supplies from Saltwind dwindling. There was a river nearby, maybe she could catch herself a meal.

Picking her way carefully through the charred wasteland it wasn't long before she was at the water's edge, now ashen and thick. The thought to maybe not fish here after all was interrupted by the notice of something bobbing on the surface. Was that...? Yes! A dead fish! And not just one either; the bodies of dead fish floated all along the river. Hunger overwrote reasoning and she waded in to grab one, returned to the shore, shook herself out and prepared to tuck in.

“I wouldn't do that if I were you.”

Instantly Matar's head snapped up to glare at the idiot who dared interrupt her meal, coming face-to-face with the owner of the drawled, playful voice. A Skydancer, orange and black with purple wings and dressed in the most garish way possible. He was grinning at her, eyes lidded but not unkind. Pompous bastard, who did he think he was? “And you are...?” the red dragon asked suspiciously, not putting down the fish.

“Only the one to possibly save your life.” His grin widened sweetly as he moved closer, trying to pluck the carcass from her paws. She turned away. “Tsk tsk you truly aren't aware are you.”

“If you don't mind,” Matar hissed lowly as she shuffled away from the stranger, “I'm hungry and kind of sick of Plague dragons. If you'd kindly leave me alone.”

He chuckled, undaunted. “Perhaps I am being a bit forward, hm? Allow me to introduce myself.” He placed a claw laden with ivory bands on his chest. “I am Venril. Master alchemist. Some call me,” his eyes narrowed and his grin widened, “the Poisoned Mind.” Ilmatar recoiled but Venril was quick to intercept. “No no! Don't you worry. It is title only, I promise. However I can use that to tell you that the fish you are about to snack on? Ash from the fire has polluted the water, killing it and the others. It is not safe for you to eat.” He drew back, absurd horn adornments clinking with the movement. He closed his eyes, grin turning into a small, sweet smile. “I mean unless you like being sick? It won't kill you but you would be very, very unwell.” The last few words sounded almost menacing.

Ilmatar stared down at the fish, suddenly not feeling hungry after all, then glared back up at Venril intent on not showing weakness by dropping it. “What do you want?” she snapped. “Or is it your life goal to go around putting people off their food?”

The Skydancer was silent a moment, though the smile did not waver. As he moved to get back in front of her again she noticed that he kept his head purposely angled to one side, hiding the other. “No. But I don't like seeing unnecessary illness.” There was a glint in his red eye that Matar didn't trust. Quick as a flash a claw struck out, snatching the fish from her claws. As she protested he bit into it. “Yes. Definitely too much ammonia. You're lucky I came by when I did.” And he threw the rest into the river.

“B-buh! But! Why? You-! Skydancers don't even eat fish!” the Coatl sputtered, not making any sense of what was happening.

“No but I do test for harmful substances. And that one would have been harmful my dear.” That smile. That damn smile. “And with that, I shall bid you adieu. I have other unwary sods to keep from poisoning themselves and ingredients to collect for my... projects.” With a whip of his long, elegant tail he began to saunter off downriver. Ilmatar however was having none of it.

“Oh no you don't!” she yelled, scampering in front of the smaller dragon the way he had with her. He simply tossed his head and continued, still hiding the other side of his face. “I'm talking to you!” she grabbed him by the black scroll around his neck, forcing him around. Only for her to gasp, let go and retreat a few steps. Where on one side black swirls made lovely patterns the other was a hideous scar, marring what would have been a truly handsome face. And he wasn't smiling any more.

“Do that again,” he hissed, voice dangerously low, “and I will follow you and make sure you will never trust water again. You won't see me. You won't hear me. But you will know I'm there. Watching.” He trotted away at a much faster pace this time. Matar let him, watching with wide, worried eyes as he unfurled his wings at a distance and took to the skies through an opening in the cracked branches.

Four pairs of eyes looked up to see Matar return. Questions were asked but she didn't hear them. Maki clambered onto her head but she didn't know he was there. She plodded over to the pelt rug and flopped down, back to the rest of the group as she stared blankly at the wall. Why was this happening? And why to her? Saira's words echoed in her ear, along with the reiteration from Vin when he'd passed on her dying request. Speak to your father, one last time. Perhaps she should go home after all. The world didn't want her out here. Everything had gone wrong the moment the Crescendo had stopped.

Vin regarded the Coatl sadly as she refused to budge from where she'd set down. No amount of encouragement would divulge where she'd gone or why she was this way. She remained pointedly silent, even when Sora did her best to irritate everyone in the cave. He drummed his thin fingers together as his mind worked to figure out the next move when a new voice called inside.

“Hello? Are you here?” A tall, thin figure appeared in the light at the entrance. Bipedal. Wildclaw. “Please I heard a group of dragons passed by here? I was hoping you could help me find someone.”

Apart from the stubborn Coatl all eyes fell on Vin, who shrunk back from the sudden expectation. “Uh... um. Ye-yes! We're here! We're not in the best shape but we're here! I mean I think everyone's happy to let you in we've been through a lot and we don't know who to trust and-” Isaura reached up to clamp his mouth shut with a playful, knowing grin. He smiled weakly behind her claws.

A lithe, pale Wildclaw female with almost glowing yellow eyes slowly walked inside, long claws clacking against the stone. She reached into a pouch at her hip, pulling from it a large, beautiful geode that sparkled a pale green in the light and held it out in offering. “Forgive the intrusion. I've been searching for a while for my extended family. I heard my uncle found a mate and settled here in the Wind region and had eggs. I was delighted by the news and wish to see my new cousin except he had gone missing.”

He. Missing. Wildclaw. Wind. Vin stopped breathing. His chest tightened. Don't say it. Don't say it. Don't say it.

“I don't suppose any of you have seen a purple Wildclaw boy named Ahio?”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uhhh family of Ahio! wow! Interesting!

There were one linie I did not understand. My English fail to identify the word gout and swath... well fail to make it into a sentence which make sense.. so HELP!
:mrgreen: :lol:
Matar flicked her tail as she watched a gout of water spew, presumably from the collective mouths of several Water dragons, over a flickering swath, drowning it.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Ahhh you wrote Venril so well I'm so happy!! He's a sassy edgy boy and I love him - his little interaction with Matar is so good thank you for including him! :hug: I'm also glad to see that Matar is back up on her feet again and I'm very interested to see how it all goes with the newest member of the crew :D

Also, I hope you don't mind if I include the interaction in his lore? I can't help myself

Also, Tarn, gout essentially means a drop of something (just don't google it because that's not the first thing that comes up), so it means that a load of water dragons are flying over the fires that are left and spraying water out as a means to put it all out. Kinda like what they do with wildfires over forests, just with dragons :) I think, anyway? I might need to be corrected on that
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Yup, gout is like a spray or stream of liquid and a swath is a strip of land :) Think fire hoses you see on fire engines/trucks except with dragons. Or if you've ever seen Pokémon: water gun/hydro pump.

Hee I'm glad you enjoyed Venril's part :D I had hoped for him to be more flirty so I'm glad you approve! And yes you may include this in his lore xP Same goes for any guests - if you guys like what I have your dragons do then by all means use it for your own means :D

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Thanks for the explanation :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 49

...again. Ahh the fun stuff that can happen when picking from two pools. This one was legitimately from Iren's though. Anywhoozles, meet Vunguza!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Yay a snipsnap! Love those.. And Crystal.. ohh going to be interesting to read how he is introduced!