Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Varethyn »

They are and I admit I'm really nervous about future pulls. I always seem to have the worst luck in the coliseum with dodges and crits. Most other nuz/pinkerlockes I've read don't have deaths so early. I've got tinctures so I can easily respec Matar back to magic but if I pull another food item - or worse, a battle stone and get heads - I don't think this story's going to last much longer.

Pro tip for anyone looking to try a 'locke: Research plenty of different coli builds and find something better suited to survivability. I've been using Culex's How To Train Your Dragon guide hoping the damage would be enough. Well. It's not much use when the enemy keeps dodging and your team ends up dead. Oh and potions. Stock up on potions. Don't rely on a healer.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ugh sorry to hear that coli is rough on you. .. did you try the sedona build?

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde ... st_2217190

I would gladly lend you a lvl 25 but prob against the rules and all...

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

As it turns out I pulled that one up just earlier! The only issue is that, since it's a farming build, it doesn't pick up for quite some time so it'll still be iffy at the level Matar and Vin are now. Certainly one to aim for at the very least.

And yeah lending dragons for training is forbidden since it takes away the whole point of the Nuzlocke side. I am accepting gift dragons along with eggs now, but they must be level 1 to avoid cheating and require familiars to introduce. Rules have been updated to reflect this.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

is there rules for gifts of the potions I dont use mine since Im a nerd and all my lvl 25 have eliminate :D

Ohh and if it's not against the rules your dragons are welcome to come vist me. I can get them a couple of lvls. .but that's prob not allowed ;) I just love to help you

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Potions are welcome as well but I've got a fair few of them for now :) And yeah, sending my dragons away is also against the rules :lol: The whole point of the challenge is to see how far you can get before someone gets knocked out, ideally to max level. Thank you though :hug:

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 23

I hate life. So much.

I knew this would happen.

She didn't stand a chance. Even with Anticipate and Guard.

I'm going to go cry now.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Remember the 50/50 rule. . Can always hope. .if not. .poor matar :/. ... sad

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I said I was removing that rule cos I'd forgotten it for Ahio, so it wouldn't be fair on him if I used it for Saira and Matar.

But well... I'll let you guys decide. I don't feel good doing it but if you guys say I should try then I'll do it. It'll be for both of them since Saira hasn't been pronounced dead yet.

Wanna know how pessimistic I am about this? I'm already thinking of ideas for the next run. Even though Vin and Maki are still alive.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Well you forgot regarding Ahio so I say fair game if you want to do the 50/50 rule. I can understand wanting to start over too. I let you decide. i got some ambush and beserker if you need. Just let me know.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Personally, I'd restart the 50/50 rule. This is just getting brutally unfair- there's no way you could possibly keep dragons alive with a small team, and while Ahio's death was tragic, it helped move along the plot. This would.... end it entirely. :x

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Okay... I'm not completely comfortable but seems you guys think it should happen. Since I didn't use it and already removed the rule I'll use the standard coin flip to determine the outcome.
Heads = Live, Tails = Dead.
So without further ado...

Saira

The living wind chime lives on!

Aaaaand Matar

Eeeeeeeeeeeee.

As always the timestamps are visible and the pictures edited slightly differently to prove I'm not using the same Heads pic and I swear on everything that matters that these were the only flips I did.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I wouldn't doubt you! <3 I'm very very glad to hear they both lived- and VERY excited to hear about their close calls, and how it impacts them both. I'm loving this story so far, and want to see how it continues!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I agree with Lupis! I am so glad they survived! :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I'm glad you guys are happy, and it was a nice surprise to have them both live for certain :) I can't guarantee it'll last though and I'll definitely need to redo stats before going through the coli again. Plus Maki will be growing up tomorrow so that'll shake things up since I'm using hardmode coli rules. (Never again.)

Day 24

Chapter 10

The passing of weeks saw much activity in the fisher-village of Saltwind Heights. Streets bustled with villagers and guests as the stall owners heartily announced their wares to passers-by. Fresh fish and seafood was hoisted frequently from the ocean, fisher-dragons gathering to celebrate record catches which were displayed with pride before being served in the main hall for everyone to enjoy. No trouble at all afflicted the peaceful settlement and what few maren had shown up were only interested in trade.

During this time Ilmatar made leaps and bounds in her recovery, attention occupied completely by the newest life to grace Sornieth: the tiny emerald fairy-like Fae she'd named Makani. As was true for their kind it was only a matter of days before he opened his large eyes, revealing a very odd sight. A mix of the usual ruby red of the Plague Flight from which the egg had originated and the green of the Wind who had harboured it for the last few weeks. Everyone had gathered to marvel at the spectacle. Changes were happening all across the world not limited to odd eye colours such as this.

Gossipers spoke of a new tree growing in the Scarred Wasteland of all places. A tsunami had swept the lands around the Sea of A Thousand Currents. Crystal Mountains surging across the Starfall Isles. Many, many great occurrences alongside the disappearance of their own Twisting Crescendo. Just what was happening?

One dragon disallowed to join in the inspection of the hatchling was Vin, whom Saira had banished from the building Ilmatar was recovering in for fear his concoctions would make things worse or ill affect the young one. After a bout of arguments the noodle-like dragon had vanished. No one knew where he'd gone and frankly neither Sai or Matar really cared at this point. So absorbed as they were by tiny Maki. And tiny he truly was. Saira marvelled at how such a small creature, even while still in his egg, had survived the Coatl's misadventures thus far. It so easily could have been dropped or squashed or eaten or... The list was endless. And the Skydancer had taken it upon herself to explain it all and praise Matar for the miracle that was the egg's survival and safe hatching despite being abducted by a gull – which was still perched on the windowsill – and kidnapped by the maren.

Thanks to the care of the village Matar recovered quickly from her ordeals. Soon enough she was out of bed teaching Makani how to walk and make the first attempts at flight. Which proved difficult due to their different wing structures. Regardless the tiny Fae picked up eagerly on the lessons and in no time at all was bound around faster than one could keep an eye on him. Being so small, however, games turned into panicked searches as he managed to squeeze himself into nooks and crannies no other dragon could dream of fitting inside, leading to a lot of frantic hours figuring out where he'd gone. In the end it was his sad peeping when he'd gotten lonely or hungry that lead the others to him, to which Matar would scold him very, very gently, boop him on the snout and find a tasty bug for him to nibble.

Speech was another thing entirely. Matar often let Saira take over while she went out to stretch her legs around the village now that she wasn't bedridden and came back to what sounded like them chattering. But she couldn't be completely sure if it was from both sides. The Skydancer had taken to the hatchling like a mother duck to a duckling much to the Coatl's frustration, following him around and talking to him in the soothing voice only her kind could manage. One day, having returned from another strengthening walk Matar peeked her head around the doorway to see how the pair were getting on. Saira was beaming and Maki had learned how to wave, fins slightly flared and upward-raised as he rolled around a piece of shale Matar had brought back a few days ago. His mouth moved and sounds reached her ears but she passed it off as hatchling squeaks as she'd always done.

“Well?” Saira said, tilting her head slightly at Ilmatar.

The red dragon blinked, confused. “Well what?”

“Aren't you going to say “hello” back? He's been wanting to talk to you all day.”

“He... has?” Fear grabbed Matar's chest. “He... said hello? He's been talking?!”

Saira nodded gleefully. “So quick! I've known Fae to adapt and learn quickly, given their Arcane roots but never experienced it myself. You should be proud. I know I am and I'm not the one who hatched him.”

Slowly Ilmatar plodded over to the pair, setting herself down slowly so not to sir up too much air movement to knock the little green dragon over. She did that once or twice. It was embarrassing. He'd made peeping sounds akin to laughter though but she did not want to hurt him by accident. Although now it seemed a new barrier had become apparent. “Hello Maki.” She cooed at the Fae, whose yellow fins flared out in excitement at being replied to. Matar grinned, trying to hide the worry that was now picking at her.

Again Makani's mouth moved. Matar strained her hearing to catch what he was saying, desperate to finally hear his voice. He kept going. She kept listening. Saira was smiling widely, looked at the Coatl, concern replaced joy. “Matar?” The Coatl was crying. And not out of happiness.

“Please tell me it was the maren, or being under water for so long, that did this.” she whispered, throat tight.

“Did what?” the elegant creamy dragon replied, antennae twitching wildly as they took in the childlike wonder of Maki and the sudden despair of Matar. “What are you-” she broke off, realisation hitting her like a brick. “...oh. Oh no.”

Two pairs of green eyes locked. “What is he saying?” Ilmatar's voice was trembling as she fought back the tears. “All I can hear is squeaks and buzzing but you... you can understand him, can't you? And not cos you can... you can feel...”

Saira inclined her head, glanced down at Makani who was now staring at them, head tilted as he listened, back to the Coatl. “I am so, so sorry Ilmatar. It had not occurred to me that...”

How had neither of them thought about it? Coatl dragons had developed their own way of “speaking” by humming to one another and deciphering meaning from vibrations. It had taken many, many long years for them to learn to communicate with the other races once they'd stepped foot out of their volcanic birth-lands. But one in particular still had complications to this day. Fae, for all their intelligence, were only capable of producing a monotone when speaking verbally, relying on their fins and crests to display emotion. To a Coatl's ear structure the monotone was translated instead to the buzzing and squeaking as Matar had described since the constant vibration could not be perceived properly.

With a cry Ilmatar snatched up Makani, nuzzling him as she sobbed. There was a buzzing sound. She broke down. The Fae flitted back to not be soaked, looking to Saira for answers.

“Little one,” the Skydancer sighed, thinking how best to explain to one so young. “Your mother... You hear us, yes?”

“Hear you.” Maki squeaked, fins drooped slightly, head crest splayed in sad confusion.

“You hear how our voices are... different? To yours?” Maki wrinkled his nose as he tried to understand. Saira tried again, mimicking a monotone herself. “How you speak like this.” Then in her normal sing-song tone, “And we're like this.”

Fins and crest flared in understanding. He nodded. “Why though?”

“Because we are different dragons. You are Fae.” she carefully poked his chest with a thin finger, then lay her hand on her furry chest. “I am a Skydancer. And Mata- your mother is a Coatl.”

“Cwah-tal?” Makani repeated, sounding out the syllables. “Funny word.”

Saira grinned, wrapping her arm around the still-sobbing Ilmatar who was doing her utmost to please understand but failing. “It is. But Fae and Coatls... they can't... Hm. Coatls hear differently to us. Like you speak differently.”

“So Cwah-tals hear flat when we hear song?”

Saira pursed her lips, considering the description. “Coatl can't hear flat.” she corrected.

Maki's fins closed and drooped low. “But I speak flat. If I speak flat and mother can't hear flat, how mother hear?”

A tear left Saira's lime-green eye, soaking into the fur. “She can't.”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Oki tried to lvl up a healer to help you on your quest to survive. I made the first 20 lvls today.

My impression:

AMBUSH over Discipline. Yes you dont get 50 % chance of more mana but you get more turns which means 100 % chance of more mana.
MEDITATE over Anticipate. Meditate gives more mana and reduces damage for two rounds with 75 %
REGENERATION and AID is very good healing tools.

My stats at lvl 20 look like this : - at this lvl his hydrobolt does 414 damage non crit, 826 damage crit.

I focus only on int and quick

Because of my quick and ambush i get two attacks for each of my 3 dragons. Really helps!

Will go spec him tank now though.. I dont like having a magical dragon but I wanted to test some stuff for you :D

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thanks for testing, Tarn :) I've been checking out the dragons from various Nuz/Pinkerlockes I've been following for inspiration as well. Very helpful.

Sorry for no update yesterday. I was just so darn tired and ended up spending the evening half-asleep while playing Terraria with my brothers. Here's what I got though:

Day 25

I've gone ahead and used my previous apparel stockpile along with this and I think Maki looks amazing

Gonna skip today's entry to catch up with the previous one.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Your welcome Varethyn :) And soo sorry Saira got KO´ed again.. can u use the 50/50 rule again?

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Huh? I've not been back to the coliseum, what made you say that?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

im sleepy.. I read a post on the last page and went ohh no someone died again... stupid mind.. Sorry about that. My mistake!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Hehe silly kestrel :hug: