Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Winds of Change (Pinkerlocke)

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh how sad ;-;
You are a very good writer Varethyn

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Warnings were given ;) I am glad you guys are enjoying this, as dark as it suddenly went so quickly :D

Update soon. First, I need some opinions... This just happened:

However. Since it dropped for non-RP dragons, should I allow it?

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I say yes!! Could open up for some nice RP. Your girl is pregnat with Ahio but the liquid the spiral gave her changed the element of the egg. Or an egg left by the "evil " spiral as a spy. .. .. Oki i can't RP but I say allow it.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Ilmatar wouldn't be pregnant with Ahio's egg sadly, as RP-wise he was barely older than a hatchling as I will be exploring later. Otherwise that could make a nice twist. Something with the Spiral is a possibility. I won't write it in for a little bit but I'll keep that in mind :)

Day 10

Chapter 4

Screams of anguish echoed throughout the Zephyr Steppes for many long minutes. Wildlife scattered at each despair-racked wail, drowning out any and all other sounds that could be offered to the listening ear. Sadness and anger, shock and fear, confusion and emptiness. Soon the awful sound gave way to choked sobbing punctuated by coughs and sniffles which in turn died down to heavy, ragged breathing as Ilmatar lay on her side, staring blankly out at the ocean from atop their grass-laden stack. Smooth crimson scales covering her face and racing along her flank and legs glistened in the morning sun. Even though the effects of whatever that foul mixture had been had since worn off the Coatl felt heavy, listless. Nothing was right any more. Nothing made sense.

Across the way the golden-winged Skydancer lay patiently, close enough to dart over in case of trouble yet far enough to give the young dragon space to grieve. Her chime-like feathers clattered melodiously as she shifted in her small hollow, lime-green eyes watching protectively.

Neither kept track of how much time passed. The Coatl remained motionless in the grass while the Skydancer gathered food, often the local sea birds, and water and offered periodic comfort and support. To which Matar usually either grunted or else stayed silent. It wasn't until a sharp pain in a wing jolted her upright that she made any attempt to move.

“What the heck!” Matar cried, suddenly on her feet and facing the other female. “What was that for?!”

“You haven't preened for some time.” the chime-like Skydancer replied calmly as she dropped a brilliant feather on the ground next to her. “Forgive me for harming you, but that feather was broken. Probably when you were...” the explanation trailed off respectfully. The Coatl frowned, then turned away glumly.

“I guess.”

“Would you like to do it yourself or shall I continue?”

Ilmatar glanced over at the smaller dragon with a faraway look in her eyes. “...go for it. I... really don't feel like doing anything.” It still bothered her that the Skydancer was so familiar yet she couldn't place her. Clouds clogged her brain and fogged her memories. Effects of the potion?

Her companion's brow furrowed. “You must push yourself to be active. You'll waste away if you continue to grieve.” Her fingers played through the red dragon's plumage, rearranging ruffled feathers and removing broken ones. “This one might hurt.” she warned as she tugged at a snapped quill.

Air was sucked forcefully through Matar's teeth as the offending feather was removed, then relaxed again as her new companion's hands picked their way through her wings. “He was so young.” she whispered, voice strained as tears threatened to spring forth once more. “I'd wondered why he was so small. Wildclaws aren't that small, even next to us Coatls. Why hadn't I realised he was so damn young?!” Grass was ripped from the ground as the furious dragon tore at it in attempt to stifle her rage. “Why would someone so young be out here on his own?!”

“Gembond.”

Matar's head snapped around. “What?”

The Skydancer lifted her elegant head to meet the other's gaze. “He showed signs of gembond. Possibly a cobra managed to invade the nest site and bit him at some point. His clan must have disowned him because of it.”

Matar's jaw dropped, showing rows of needle-like teeth. Why would anyone be so cruel?

Sensing the distress the Skydancer's chime-like wings sang as she adjusted her position, placing a small hand on the Coatl's cheek. “Some dragons fear that gembond is contagious. Once it is contracted it is very difficult to remove. Eventually the poor boy would have been encased in a gemlike shell, unable to move or breathe and eventually die, painfully and alone.” She lowered her head and closed her eyes. “Unbearable as it was to watch, this would have been a far better-”

“Don't!” Matar snapped angrily, pulling away from the comforting touch. “Don't you dare say that!” Her heart ached. She'd barely known Ahio for a week, yet their short adventure had left its mark. What this strange-yet-known dragon was saying was true... Why did it hurt so much? Neither of them spoke. The Skydancer simply stood patiently, waiting for Ilmatar to calm down. “...I'm sorry.” the Coatl finally said, choking back the tears that were now very much visible in her eyes.

“Let it out.” came the soothing voice. “Let it all out.” Matar stared for a moment, unsure of what to think. Then her face crumpled into a grimace as liquid emotion ran down her rounded face and she cried and screamed and tore at the grass and pounded the dirt until a naked oval was left atop the pillar. She dug at it, driving her claws into the hardened ground to mask the grief with pain. Her companion only intervened when blood began to show, holding her arms aloft and allowing the mourning dragon to wrestle in her grasp. This continued for a few more minutes until the Coatl relented, falling still, held up only by the other dragon as she panted heavily.

“It's not fair.”

Another day came and went. Matar was less listless but still reluctant to do much of anything and so the Skydancer, who had revealed her name to be Saira, continued to bring much needed sustenance. While Saira was gone the Coatl frowned heavily as she peered over the side of her stack at the still ocean below.

I know that name. I know that bird. Who is she? A rattle of wind chimes heralded Saira's return, as if the very thought had summoned her. Long antennae twitched, picking up on the Coatl's emotions. She knew. She had to know. Why wouldn't she tell her?!

“You are frustrated.” the birdlike dragon commented as calmly as ever. Ilmatar bristled. “I had hoped to wait until you had recovered from your grief. I can tell, however, that it is only bringing unnecessary pain.”

Two pairs of green eyes met as they regarded one another. “Who are you?” the serpentine dragon hissed. “I know you. I swear I know you from somewhere.” Saira smiled. This only stoked the furnace of rage. “Tell me, dammit!”

“I believe you were upside-down at the time.”

“...What?

“Your favourite perch, away from everyone else. Watching, sulking, wishing to visit the world without your father holding your hand from his distant musings.”

“Spit it out!”

The smile widened, a glint of amusement in her oddly-coloured eye. “My dear, you complain so heartily at how none of us know one another despite being in the same clan and yet you yourself don't know us either.”

Matar deflated, realisation finally settling over her like a wet blanket, heavy and uncomfortable. “You... you can't seriously mean...”

“Dear Matar, I am a Wind Whistler just as you are.” The smile faded. “And I'm here to bring you home.”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Uhh intriging. .. I never saw gembond as a disease but intersting take on it! ! Kinda cool to get a RP view on things. You write very captivating Vare. Inspired me to maybe try and do Jacks bio :)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

It's actually FR lore, mentioned in the flavour text for onyx cobras :) So I can't take credit for it, hehe.
Happy to have inspired you either way!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooooo, the Gembond cobra bite lore is some of my favorite gene lore- I absolutely love it, and the way you integrated it into Ahio's story is as sad as it is spooky.

And YIKES, at the reveal of who Saira is!! I also really, really love the idea that maybe Matar's view of the clan wasn't totally accurate, but rather her own misguided or biased opinion. I'm excited to see where this goes!

As for the egg- hmmm, I can see it being cool RP wise. Finding a discarded Plague egg might mean a lot to her, after losing Ahio, another lost child.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Sounds like you guys are okay with the egg dropping for the non-RPers, so I'll introduce it later on :) Remember though that I can't hatch it until another familiar drops.

Day 11

First trinket! Tossed a coin and...

It was tails! That means a guest can join for the next entry! Since no one's signed anyone up yet we'll consider this the "opening" of the event, so if you're interested go ahead and offer up a dragon you'd like to see in the story and I'll use Random.org to determine who will show up :)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I don't mind participating but I kinda don't want my dragons involved in violence or magic. If you are ok by that then I think it could be fun see how you would Incorporated this girl

She has no job or bio so I may use however you incorporate her in her bio. Should she be chosen :D

or if you rather have one with some "background" You can try Found. Lost and Found are dragons who "find" things/trinket (inset more here) and keep it... they stash it away under there nest/bed/cargo hold etc..They never take from the other dragons on board The Plagued Rose, just what they find "lost" during their explorations

a 3rd option could be one of my scavenger dragons, Vlad :D

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooh! If you DO need a dragon capable of violence or magic, you can take your pick from my lair! But here are some dragons with reasons to show up in Wind land, and quick personality blurbs-

Image Image

Hawthorn and/or Florence could make appearances! They're mates and typically travel together, but Hawthorn is a scavenger and alchemist, so she sometimes wanders farther than her mate to go find interesting ingredients. She's a gruff, shy war veteran who's seen incredible tragedy in her life and would probably have a few things to say to comfort Matar, or give perspective on making a new life after tragedy. Her mate, Florence, is of very high birth but ran away to play pirate, and just got in too deep. She's a dramatic and theatrical sort, very much loves all eyes being on her, but also has deepset opinions on taking life by the reins no matter how hard it gets.

Or there's Jack! He's an alchemist too, but not one associated with the Lungship- and probably more of a villain than a helpful ally. He's not as deranged as the spiral Matar and Ahio met, but he has very twisted goals and his calm, friendly facade covers up a very nasty self. He'll help you out in an uncanny, calm way- but don't expect him to leave forever, if he takes interest in you. He's the one who will show up weeks later after poisoning the water supply and silently watch you die.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Guys, guys. I stated in the rules that it's one dragon per person and it doesn't matter if they have a bio/RP elements or not :/
Guest rules
ImageAnyone at any time can offer one of their dragons to join the story for a single entry. When a guest is rolled the owner can specify what they'd like their dragon to do. Requests can be made when the dragon is offered but is best when the dragon is rolled as the next guest for a better idea for what to have them do.
ImageOne dragon per person at any time. Once that dragon has performed in an entry the reader can offer a new dragon to show up. Ideally no repeats, though if enough time passes a guest may be allowed to return.
ImageGuest dragons are chosen via a random number generator to keep things interesting. It's less fun knowing who's going to show up next.
ImageGuest dragons can do anything the owner wants them to. Seriously. Have them be a shopkeeper the story dragons visit or a random passer-by, they could talk directly to the story dragons and offer advice, or they can be dancing on a rooftop for no other reason than for humour.
ImageIf nothing is specified the guest will show up as is most fitting for the entry.
If you don't understand something then please ask. In this case I'm only going to take the first dragon from each of your posts.

If you like I can add the others for future rolls if you'd rather not re-add them for next time, since guest "applications" are always open and can be made at any time. When any of them are rolled you can tell me what you'd like them to do if you have an idea for them, or I'll write them in however best suits the entry along with any input (such as Tarn wishing to avoid magic and violence). RP/Bios simply give me an idea of how that dragon may act or speak.

Sorry if I seem snappy cos I really do appreciate you joining in. Just please, read the rules :lol:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Aww just wanted to give you options :P ;)

Oki if one dragon, then the first skydancer :)

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

WOOPS sorry about that! I read all the rules when this thread was first made, but totally forgot by the time I was suggesting dragons. Just Hawthorn, then!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 12

Chapter 5

She hadn't expected it to work out. It was clear from the very moment she revealed herself that Ilmatar would be decidedly against anything the Skydancer would say. And so she watched the departing copper-red form grow smaller as she flew away. So determined she had been that she was willing to attempt flight in a windless sky, powered only by sheer strength and the determination to remain free.

Saira let out a small sigh. Ilmatar's father was growing weaker. Construction and makeshift patching was constant to keep the lair skybound. Everyone was tired. Every claw and wing and paw and maw and tail was needed to make sure the Wind Whistlers' vision didn't come crashing into the waves along with the grand structure they'd worked so hard to create. And yet, even though she had been sent out to retrieve the runaway, Saira had done nothing to stop the Coatl in her bid for freedom.

Everyone deserves a chance to find what is right for them. We are of Wind and we need to thrive. We cannot stay still forever. Ilmatar is a good example. I only wish she would speak to her father one last time.

Lime-green eyes scanned the horizon until the last crimson glint that represented her charge disappeared into the murky clouds that had hung heavily in the sky, blotting out the cool blue and hazing the sun. One of many side effects caused by the ceasing of the eternal storm. “You may come out now.” she said calmly, not looking around. Behind her a small bunch of bamboo saplings shook briefly, fell still. Seconds passed slowly. Saira coughed. A familiar slim black figure snaked out of the greenery.

The Spiral drummed his fingers together hesitantly, red eyes darting to find some object or other to hold his gaze that was not the Skydancer, a sheepish look on his long face. “Itwasanaccident.” he squeaked, flinching from an attack that only existed in his hyper mind. Crystalline feathers rattled as Saira turned towards him, her beaked face blank. “I swear!” the charcoal-coloured serpent begged, voice breaking in panic. “I-I-I-I-I saw the Wildclaw a-a-and wanted t-to fix him! And she! She! The-the red one! She might have been infect too I only wanted to help!”

“And yet you caused the daughter of my clan's leader to suffer a painful mutation while her only friend perished.” Despite the evenness of her tone Saira's words were coated in ice. Her small eyes narrowed dangerously.

“I didn't mean to-hoo-hoo!” The Spiral squawked, sinking to the ground and rolling in the grass like a beached eel. “I wanted to prove that Plague dragons can do good! I-I-I wanted to cure him! My people get such a bad rap cos of our experiments but they're not all ba-ad!” Letting loose a god-awful racket the red-eyed dragon slithered over to a bamboo tree, which he began banging his head against. “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” he cried at each impact, long horns leaving grooves in the plant.

Disgusted by the grovelling Spiral Saira looked away to gaze into the cloud-clotted skies once more. She set her jaw, attempting to blot out the wailing behind her. It did not work. Teeth ground together in frustration. The Spiral was likely barely out of adolescence yet behaved like a young hatchling. One who knew they'd done wrong and threw tantrums to make those around him notice and do something about it. Sai seriously wanted to blast him with another zephyr bolt at this point.

“ENOUGH!” The abruptness of the louder-than-expected command caused the spotted Spiral to squeak in fear, wrapping himself into a tight, living ball which rolled slightly to one side. “You.” Saira growled at the scaly sphere. “Tell me your name.”

The ball quivered and the long snout poked out from between his coils. “A-a-an-Anvi-Anvv-An-” The dryland drifter rolled her eyes impatiently as the squirming mess sputtered incoherently. “Vin. Vin! Call me Vin!” he managed finally, pushing his head out a little further to reveal his large eyes.

“Vin.” Saira echoed and 'Vin' nodded furiously. “You wish to seek redemption for what you have done?”

Vin unravelled only to coil up in front of the creamy-gold dragon, spindly hands clasped together. “Yesyesyesyes!”

“Then you will help me bury him,” she pointed at the familiar shape of the dark-scaled Wildclaw boy hidden behind a bamboo cluster on a lower pillar, “and then you will help me find Ilmatar.”

Vin was up in a flash, shooting a clumsy salute. “Of course! Yes! I will!”

Saira nodded reluctantly at her new companion and they picked their way down towards the corpse. “Did you get his name?” she asked as they drew closer. “It would be more honourable to include it.”

A pointed finger went up to the grey-black dragon's lower lip as he pondered. “Ahhh... Ahhhhh...” he sounded out the name the drugged Coatl had tried to say earlier. “Ahhyooo... Ayu? No no. Ahhhyyoooo... Ahyo? Aheeeo? Ahio? Ahio. ...Ahio?”

“It will do.” the Skydancer finalised tiredly as she marked out a grave site. “Now dig.”

Rage granted her strength as she flew... wherever it was she was going. She didn't know, didn't care. She simply wanted away from everyone. From everything. How dare she! How dare that... that... pigeon, that glorified pigeon demand she come home! After this! After what happened! Ilmatar slashed angrily at the clouds in her path, the force sending them scattering, forming a path for her to follow. The argument had been short, but heated. Not much was able to be recalled but she did not care. She was not going back home and that was that. Wind or no she would fly and fly and find a new place and new friends and new adventures... not be forced to smile and wave and show strangers around her home.

At least, that was what she'd hoped. Fatigue set in fast, from the events of the day and the exertion of flying through stagnant, still air. She had no choice. Matar landed on the first solid ground she saw, where she collapsed, panting. Stupid Spiral. Stupid pigeon. Stupid father. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

Even after she regained her breath the brilliantly-coloured Coatl lay flat on the grass, staring into space, thinking about nothing. She wanted nothing right now. Just to be. How long she was like that was any dragon's guess but it wasn't until a rattling sound broke through the mist. Hollow. Bones? Matar lifted her head only to groan inwardly as the familiar shape of a Skydancer came into view. Really? Already? She poised herself to run.

“Excuse me?” came a completely unfamiliar voice. Muffled, like there was something in front of their face. Matar froze as the figure came closer. Tan-pink feathers baring odd patterns. Pale cream and pink belly fur caught the light in a way that made it look glassy. A far-too-pointed face even for a Skydancer. Closer still. That wasn't a face.

“Uhhh I was... just leaving! Sorry!” Matar blurted, dropping low to the ground and attempting to slink away.

A clawed hand waved. “No no! Wait, please!” the stranger wheezed from behind the mask. “I require aid! Or, at least a suggestion?”

The Coatl paused, stood like a cat caught trying to escape. Who...? Why...? “Um. Tell me where I am first?” she offered, followed by: “And who you are?”

“Right, right.” came the muffled voice. The pale dragon set down a pack they'd been carrying, filled to the brim with their possessions. Something poked out of the flap, off-white, sickly. Matar studied it, then recoiled. A skull. A dog's skull. “Ah don't mind those.” the voice came again, clearer this time. The Coatl glanced up to see the mask removed and the face of a blue-eyed Skydancer staring back. Lightning flight? “This is the southern edge of the Scarred Wasteland.” She explained. Colour drained from the reptilian dragon. Too far north. “And I... Well, that doesn't really matter. What does is that I was looking for sources of power. Objects we can generate energy from. And how fascinating the wraith hounds of the Tangled Woods are! Spirit energy! Why hadn't anyone thought of that?” She pointed to the dog-like skull she'd disregarded only seconds ago.

“Riiiiiiight.” Ilmatar replied with an awkward grin, feeling suddenly ill. “I really should-”

“No, please, hear me out!” the mottled bird butt in as she began rummaging through the pack, sending skulls and bones tumbling onto the hard soil. “Where is it? Where is- Aha!” With a triumphant flourish the stranger pulled free an ovular green object. Her eyes softened as she held it towards Ilmatar. “I found this poor thing on my journey back. I haven't the time to raise it myself but now that I've touched it who can say when it will hatch. Please, I need you to take it. If not for yourself then to somewhere safe. I simply can't with everything else I'm carrying!” Indeed a lot of the bones she'd collected was hanging from her neck, under her wings, tied to her tail...

An uncomfortable silence swallowed the pair as Matar's green eyes flicked between the Skydancer and the egg-like... egg. She said it would hatch, it had to be an egg. Right? The Coatl quailed, backing off. What was she supposed to do with an egg? And the only place she knew was the Wind Whistler lair and no way no way was she going there even to save an egg.

“I cannot take it with me.” The Skydancer repeated pleadingly. “It will die if nothing is done.”

A pang of guilt jabbed her heart and with it the empty void left by Ahio screamed. Her plumage swept back, hanging limp along her neck as sadness and grief and loneliness took hold. But it's an egg. How could she look after an egg? ...But she couldn't let it die. Matar continued to stare, eyes stinging with unshed tears. “...Okay.” she said at last and reached out to accept the egg. “I have no clue how to raise a hatchling, but if the other option is to- Is to...” The sentence died on her lips as a warm streak ran down her cheek.

The Skydancer's eyes filled with pity as her antennae picked up on the red dragon's emotions. “I am sorry for your loss. Truly. May the little one bring you much needed joy.” Carefully the fragile life was passed from one hand to the other. Matar found herself hugging it close, sniffling lightly. “You have done me a great favour.” The stranger said gratefully as she repacked her bag and adjusted her mask. “Thank you. I wish you both well in your travels.” Matar could only nod silently, the motion returned as the mask was brought down. “Farewell.” And she was gone.

Ilmatar sobbed in the lonely mists, left alone once more. “What am I going to do?”

Next Chapter

Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Yesterday's entry is in. Today's will be tomorrow cos hooo boy this took a little while to do.
Absolute last chance to claim Ahio! I will be exalting him tomorrow.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oooh, a great entry! That was a neat way to integrate both the guest dragon and the egg. I'm excited to see how all this develops, there are a lot of pieces in play!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

That was so sweet <3

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Awww that was an awesome way to include the egg!! Glad you could use my girl AND her outfit, Made me smile. I wish we had more room, but sadly I cannot save Ahio.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 13 (Yesterday's pull.)

Chapter 6

Dusk had begun to set in. With the fleeting daylight so too did the mists recede, revealing the dry, cracked earth signifying the death and sickness of the Plaguelands. Despite its reputation the Scarred Wasteland wasn't a completely lost cause; Scattered throughout the ruined domain were spots of flourishing life not dissimilar to the Viridian Labyrinth. Most of these had been strategically placed along the borders to contain the scourge and prevent it from leaking out into the other regions. Matar found she was on the edge of one such zone, where while it was kept at bay to stop reaching into the Windswept Plateau it was still devoid of anything living aside from herself and the pulsing green object she held to her chest.

It had been hours, or at least it had felt that way, since the stranger departed. Confused, alone and without a clue of what had happened or what will come next the Coatl had simply flopped onto her back where she rolled the egg back and forth over her belly. The Skydancer said that it could hatch soon. Would she be ready for that? Should she keep it? It would die without her and she needed company. But she had no idea how to raise a hatchling. The argument bounced around in her mind until she was sick of thinking about it.

“I don't know anything about you or what I'm going to do when you hatch,” Matar whispered to the egg as she righted herself, “but for now you're coming with me.” Now wasn't the best time for flight when it was getting hard to see as well as needing to force her wings to carry her. What else could she do though? No way she was going to camp out here. Wherever “here” was. Making sure the egg was secure in her grasp the Coatl leapt into the air, feathered wings pumping with all their might to lift her. It was easier once she was finally airborne, allowing the thermals to carry them both over the ocean once more.

Time passed and Ilmatar was begging for the sight of land to show itself. Even a small island would do. Anything to land on and rest for the night. It had gotten increasingly darker as she flew and her shoulders were aching. And who knows what else shared the sky at night? She was thankful that her species was generally larger than most yet stories of birds large enough to whisk away guardians induced paranoia.

Soon she found land. Sort of. In the darkness of night Ilmatar's eyes could barely pick up anything in the gloom, so it was no surprise that she collided with a cliff-face and tumbled a small way before coming to a painful stop on a ledge further down. A groan escaped her snakelike jaws as she forced herself upright. After waiting a few moments for the stars in her eyes to clear a check-up was done to make sure nothing was broken. Thankfully the worst damage was a pounding headache.

The egg! It must have fallen from her grip when she hit the rock. Frantic, blind she started feeling around in the inky gloom for the fragile object. That way? No. Over there? No... There? Ilmatar yelped as her front paw met empty space, almost toppling over the edge. Seems her platform was smaller than she'd hoped. Her heart jumped into her throat as the search continued. Once, twice, several more times found the lip and almost sent herself careening into the waters below. How far below? Without wind there were no waves. No sound. No way of knowing. The Coatl gulped, forcing her fears back down. It had to be here somewhere... There's the cliff. She followed it, knocked something with a paw. Something round. She seized it, wrapping her body around it and breathing a sigh of relief. It was mere moments before she was sound asleep.

It had taken longer than anticipated to dig out the grave and transport the body of the deceased Wildclaw into it. By the time the pair had finished they were hot and tired and covered in dirt. Saira made the finishing touches by laying twigs on the mound of freshly turned soil to spell out the boy's name. She then made the traditional gestures and prayed for a peaceful afterlife before trotting away. After a slight squabble Vin was made to guide the Skydancer to where he had been sleeping up until he started stalking Ilmatar and her partner.

It was a mess. Every part of the Drifter fell in disappointment at the bomb-site the Spiral called his camp. The “tent” was a sheet of filthy, torn cloth held up on unsteady sticks. Bits of mouldy and stale food littered the ground, Various alchemy supplies lay strewn about, discarded or knocked over and forgotten. Some of them lay in burnt grass where the contents seared away the foliage. Some were still bubbling. The place reeked of chemicals and rot. Saira had a difficult time keeping her dinner from creeping up her throat.

“You seriously live here?” she said in utter disbelief as she took in the dismal sight.

Vin swooped around her to stand in the middle of the dump, arms spread wide as if in welcome. “Yup yup!” he declared far too happily. “This is where I stayed. Then I saw them! If I didn't see them I'd be here! Making potions and things!” He quickly slithered into the “tent” and back out again in seconds, now sporting a pair of goggles and carrying a black coat and a ominously rattling satchel. The Spiral pointed between the apparel and at the abandoned utensils on the floor. “I'm an alchemist.” he beamed at his guest.

One red eye twitched slightly, his grin unsteady. If she had noticed this the birdlike dragon made no remark. What she did notice was the stark contrast of how the Spiral felt against how he was acting. “You pretend you are happy.” she began, putting voice to emotion. “Yet you are greatly distraught. This is not how you want to be.”

Her words made the dark dragon practically melt to the ground, dropping his gear and splaying himself pathetically in the tortured grass. “You're good at this, huh?” he moped from the ground, managing to stay still for a good while. Then in an instant he was up again, using his spindly arms to push himself upright. “I hate it! I hate it! I HATE IT!” he screeched suddenly, kicking a broken flask off the edge of the skewed stack he'd perched on. Despite sensing the anger Sai still flinched at how quickly his mood changed. “I don't want to be here! I don't! But there's nowhere to go! Where can I go?! Everyone hates me. Everyone hates Plague dragons! I want to make things right but I make things wrong and I try to fix it and it just gets WORSE!” A cracked test tube found itself sailing towards a watery end.

Saira took it all in stride, examining the clutter around her as the red-eyed Spiral kicked up a fuss. A dessicated moth corpse was picked up gingerly, studied, tossed over the side. “Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself?” she suggested, picking at the trash and beginning to attempt a clean-up.

“About me?” Vin asked, shocked, ending his tirade as quickly as he'd started it. “You want to know about me?”

“Mm-hm.” Sai replied as a green tail of questionable origin went over the cliff.

The Spiral twisted his long tail into a spring and sat on it, fingers on lips as he pondered. Seems he'd never had to talk about himself before. “Weeeeeeell my name is Anvindr - or Vin, I prefer Vin - I'm from the Rotrock Rim, I like mixing things and became an alchemist to create new strains of contagion but decided I hated that and tried making cures instead but they never work and all I want is to-” He heaved a deep breath, cutting himself off from his own babbling. Taking another, steadier intake and letting it out at a more reasonable level he began again. “I left the Scarred Wasteland so that I could find new ingredients for mixtures to try and make cures and sometimes diseases by accident, sometimes mutagens – we won't talk about those, they were nasty – and I thought I found a cure for gembond and I saw the Coatl and the Wildclaw and thought maybe I could do something and- and-” he gasped for breath.

By this point Saira had cleared a decent enough circle for her to comfortably lie down, staring with narrow, lime-green eyes as she listened to the Spiral's ramblings. Her tail flicked as he practically suffocated himself. “Calm down.” she spoke softly as he sputtered and coughed. When he found his voice again she stepped in first to ask: “What made you decide to heal diseases instead of make them? That's not usual for one of your flight.”

Vin wiped water from his large eyes, turning them to regard the Skydancer. “I was in a quarantine zone with some others testing a new strain of whatever-it-was-I-forget and it was going well and I saw someone coming along and-”

“Stop. Pause. Breathe. For goodness' sake you're going to have another choking fit.”

An audible snap came from Vin's jaws as he did as was told, taking a moment to inhale. “We were expecting someone to come along to see how we were doing so when I- ...So, when I saw people coming I went over to them to get them to come see our progress. But they weren't happy.”

“Your superiors weren't happy with what you'd done?”

“Nope nope. Actually I don't think they even were working with us. They looked weird. Visitors or something? But they kept going that way so I went with them and my crew came over and we- ...My crew came over and we explained what we were doing cos we had to report our work.”

“...I thought you said they were only visitors?”

“That's what I thought.” Vin tried to explain as he looped around on himself in frustration. “But they started talking so I started talking then we were all talking and then they said some bad things and then they left!” He stared hard at Saira as if everything made sense. She stared blankly back. Vin sighed, dropping his arms. “They were just exploring after all. I got confused. My team was confused. Mistakes were made. The point is it was that they were upset with what we were doing that made me think, “Hey, what if this isn't what we should be doing?” and after accidentally undoing some of my fellows' hard work and getting kicked out of the group I realised maybe I should try curing the illnesses instead!”

Saira only continued to stare as Vin looked at her hopefully. She blinked a few times then lifted a delicate hand to her head, plumage sweeping back as a headache took hold from trying to process everything. “So you made a mistake, upset some dragons and ruined the work you'd done, and decided that was your motivation to-” She broke off, snapping her head up, eyes wide with disbelief. The Spiral had conked out there and then, deep asleep, coiled in a tight spiral and murmuring something unintelligible. The Skydancer gawked at the grey-and-red pile for a while longer until sense finally returned. Deciding it would be healthier not to go over what had just happened she instead counted her blessings that tonight was a fine one and settled down to sleep herself.

Next Chapter

I kinda lost control when I got to Vin's "backstory" :'D
Last edited by Varethyn on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Day 14 (Today)

30-40 rounds in the coliseum, yay. Cos I'm a wimp and don't particularly feel like losing anyone else just yet I went back to the Training Field until everyone got to level 5. It took more than the max 40 rounds but I figure that makes up for the caution. Ilmatar was respecced as a melee fighter, Vin always has been and Saira is the healer.