New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Re: New Character Models confirmed as well as new Expansion!

Unread post by Bangeall »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Wain wrote:The Forsaken look for other races is a pretty cool idea. The high elf looks fantastic.

I'm not sure of the lore, but I thought the Forsaken were supposed to be the citizens of Lordaeron, which were humans. They just happen to be led by the crazed undead blood elf who freed them. But maybe I got that wrong. Plus it would make sense that any undead high elves who broke free would also flock to Undercity.
No no, I think you may be right, that’s why the Alliance sends non humans into Silverpine. (as you can see when you play through the storyline there). They send dwarves and elves, because they supposedly can't be resurrected into Forsaken. However you can also see undead elven rangers too, and Sylvanas herself is a dead elf, sooooo yeah? I'm sure it would not be that far of a stretch to include it. And who knows, maybe now with the Valkyries helping out, they don’t have quite the same issue of raising different races into undeath as the plague did? Anyway, it was more just for giggles... who knows, maybe I'll try and DarkIron Dwarf next ; )
The Dark Rangers, like Sylvanas, are also banshees possessing elf bodies though. While I see no problem with having elf ears available for the undead, perhaps this was something that happened fairly rarely in lore?

It would be great to have the options of playing Dark Iron or Wildhammer dwarves, along with Mag'har orcs. As they said they are doing continuous updates, perhaps we'll get all of these things in time, but not initially. Fingers crossed.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

I would guess that we'll see Wildhammers first, and perhaps DarkIrons, since it's basically a recolor. Others are gonna take more work.

I would love to see the FrostIron dwarfs, but those would require model changes.
Account has been closed at user's request.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Mozag wrote:you're DYING to try that Dark Iron thing out on the female model, right? RIGHT?
And done :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Nevermind the MALE draenei. Can we please have female draenei without a ridiculously exaggerated swayback and absurd looking vestigial tail that looks like someone shoved a small, dead snake somewhere rude instead of like a real, useful-for-balance tail? (And maybe it can move? Instead of dangling lifelessly? That would be nice for a change.)
Last edited by Nachtwulf on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I kind of like their tail >.>
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

]It's terrible. It isn't good for anything! What's more, they altered their stance so they're more 'vertical' than the males, so in real practice, their tail makes even less sense since their balance would be absolutely abysmal. Digitigrade legs need a counterbalance. That ridiculous little afterthought is NOT a valid tail.

I've been mad about this since BC came out and I complained about it then. I'm STILL going to complain about it because it makes no sense. Hell, look at ALL THE OFFICIAL ART and they have at least decently-long tails. I don't know what moron decided to make it that..... thing... instead. Only the fanart shows them with stubby tails and that's because it's based on the game models.

Edit to include what I mean:
Last edited by Nachtwulf on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Eh to each their own I don't look for realism in aliens and/or fantasy settings. I don't look for that kind of stuff in worlds that have magic of all things :lol:

Anyway I find those long tails in the art to be really really ugly.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

That's a cop-out. 'It's magic' is the cheapest explanation ever.

No, things don't actually have to legit work (like, say, halfbreeds... an orc/draenei would be biologically impossible especially since they even have blatantly different biochemistry, nevermind genetics) but if you're going to illustrate something, it should at least pay lipservice to the laws of physics and anatomy. Draenei females do not. Their stance is so freakish it makes my back hurt just to look at it too long. And... buttsnake. Limp, dead, buttsnake. I can't unsee it.

Edit: You know, I have to wonder. Tauren (both genders) are so terrible modelwise that you can basically count the polygons visually. I mean, they're really -bad-. But they have animation in their tails anyway. Draenei female tails are completely immobile; they don't move when they run, sit, walk, turn, look around... nothing. I think they move to the side when you sit, but that's it. If they could add animation to tauren, and male draenei why couldn't they be arsed (hah!) to do it for the girls? Maybe it's just another case of Troll Girls Can't Blink.

God, there are no words for my anticipation of troll girls without spinal-fusion surgery and permanently-fixed stares....
Last edited by Nachtwulf on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Nachtwulf wrote:That's a cop-out. 'It's magic' is the cheapest explanation ever.

No, things don't actually have to legit work (like, say, halfbreeds... an orc/draenei would be biologically impossible especially since they even have blatantly different biochemistry, nevermind genetics) but if you're going to illustrate something, it should at least pay lipservice to the laws of physics and anatomy. Draenei females do not. Their stance is so freakish it makes my back hurt just to look at it too long. And... buttsnake. Limp, dead, buttsnake. I can't unsee it.
Um re read my post please I never said "it's magic" I said in a world taht also has magic I don't look for realism. Sheesh,
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I don't look for realism. I do look for plausibility and draenei females pretty much fail on that for me. Plausibility and realism are not the same thing.

Personally I'd like to see way less sexual dimorphism while they're at it. Why are the girls skinny sticks and the boys built like trains? Pandaren are better; yes the males are big and round but the girls aren't scrawny. I think I would've had a fit if they'd tried to pass 'skinny pandas'.
Last edited by Nachtwulf on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Nachtwulf wrote:It's terrible. It isn't good for anything!
While I agree a longer tail IMO has a much nice appeal and adds feel of grace and speed. Also it does make more sense regarding balance and all, I think it was probably would have caused Havoc with clipping for seating and riding mounts, etc. The smaller the tail the less technical issue they would have had to deal with.
With the game tech these days however, it's quite possible that they would be up for the challenge, but I'm afraid they will never edit the Female Draenei tail now, it's too late (unless it becomes an optional feature with character creation) as there are a lot of people whom love the current tail.
That said with the model and animation updates (and Draenei coming back to the lore forefront this coming Exp) they may also add more bones/animations to make it look more fluid and less stiff, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hopeful none the less.

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

SpiritBinder wrote:
Nachtwulf wrote:It's terrible. It isn't good for anything!
While I agree a longer tail IMO has a much nice appeal and adds feel of grace and speed. Also it does make more sense regarding balance and all, I think it was probably would have caused Havoc with clipping for seating and riding mounts, etc. The smaller the tail the less technical issue they would have had to deal with.
With the game tech these days however, it's quite possible that they would be up for the challenge, but I'm afraid they will never edit the Female Draenei tail now, it's too late (unless it becomes an optional feature with character creation) as there are a lot of people whom love the current tail.
That said with the model and animation updates (and Draenei coming back to the lore forefront this coming Exp) they may also add more bones/animations to make it look more fluid and less stiff, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hopeful none the less.
Yeah I if they did give them a longer tail it would be only an option and not a full edit to every model.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I don't think so. They managed it with tauren and male draenei. Why not give the girls the same treatment? It's not a clipping issue, (well, I suppose I'd better say 'it's not a clipping issue they've shown any fear of committing in the past... ) just someone somewhere on the model squad decided 'tiny tails are cute' instead of goofy.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Understandable about the Draenei female...probably why I never play one, I never liked how they looked. The sexual dimorphism is one of the most extreme, along with trolls (never cared for their females either). They almost don't seem like the same species with the extreme differences in skeletal structure. I'm hoping they improve both species personally.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

cowmuflage wrote:Anyway I find those long tails in the art to be really really ugly.
And this is totally cool! Some people like them and others don't, Some people like long, other short, some people wanted Tails for Worgen, Other not… that’s the beauty of personal choice/preference.

I think they are really starting to get on board with this too, they had NO IDEA how successful transmog would be. Players reaaaaly want to be able to personalize their characters. I think that’s why they said they would even consider looking at proportion scales and the likes after the model updates are done, and that’s not something that I ever thought they would entertain.

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

SpiritBinder wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Anyway I find those long tails in the art to be really really ugly.
And this is totally cool! Some people like them and others don't, Some people like long, other short, some people wanted Tails for Worgen, Other not… that’s the beauty of personal choice/preference.

I think they are really starting to get on board with this too, they had NO IDEA how successful transmog would be. Players reaaaaly want to be able to personalize their characters. I think that’s why they said they would even consider looking at proportion scales and the likes after the model updates are done, and that’s not something that I ever thought they would entertain.

Yup! The models so far look really good. They have the right about of old and new! When it comes to updating player models it's pretty tricky to make them look like the current ones but also updated.

Hopefully Cow's eyes will be open in her hud for once :lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have to say I actually like what they did with the draenei female. And I like the extreme dimorphism of the race.

Draenei seem to have been designed working backwards from demons. The female draenei tail is probably more like the stereotypical "devil tail" than the male. If anything I think the female tail is more fitting for the origin. But each to their own :)

I'm personally less fond of what they did with female tauren and worgen. For both, it feels to me like they couldn't decide where to find the balance between "beastly" and "sexy to teenage boys" and ended up with something in between that is neither and rather offputting. But that's me.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I love the female dreanei, however I am not fond of the male ones, I find them to blocky for my taste, very barrel chested, and to huge of thighs.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nachtwulf wrote:]It's terrible. It isn't good for anything! What's more, they altered their stance so they're more 'vertical' than the males, so in real practice, their tail makes even less sense since their balance would be absolutely abysmal. Digitigrade legs need a counterbalance. That ridiculous little afterthought is NOT a valid tail.

I've been mad about this since BC came out and I complained about it then. I'm STILL going to complain about it because it makes no sense. Hell, look at ALL THE OFFICIAL ART and they have at least decently-long tails. I don't know what moron decided to make it that..... thing... instead. Only the fanart shows them with stubby tails and that's because it's based on the game models.

Edit to include what I mean:
Oh wow...I'd love for the new models to be that! :D

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

All I can say is DEM HORNS

Like, can we please have horns that long and maybe while they're at it, a similar hairstyle to that? I've never seen such a sexy draenei before till now. (big fan of the long tails too but I have a personal preference to bestial and semi-bestial species from every corner of lore and imagination with long tails so I admit to being biased in that regard xD)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |