New Buffs for Hunter Pets

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Celibie
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

New Buffs for Hunter Pets

Unread post by Celibie »

just in case this hasn't been done yet.
edit: "Several raid buffs provided by pets have been changed into auras that are automatically applied to the Hunter's party or raid"
"Hunters may now tame beasts from 3 new pet families.
Hydra
Riverbeast
Hook Wasp (Exotic)
Abilities unique to each hunter pet family have been revised to provide a standard buff, debuff, or ability.
Combat Resurrection ability: Crane, Moth, Quilen
Mortal Wounds debuff: Carrion Bird, Devilsaur, Riverbeast, Scorpid
Increased Spell Power buff: Serpent, Silithid, Water Strider
Increased Strength/Agility/Intellect buff: Dog, Gorilla, Shale Spider, Worm
Increased Critical Strike Chance buff: Devilsaur, Quilen, Raptor, Shale Spider, Water Strider, Wolf
Temporary Haste buff: Core Hound, Nether Ray
Increased Haste buff: Hook Wasp, Hyena, Sporebat, Wasp
Increased Mastery buff: Cat, Hydra, Spirit Beast, Tallstrider
Increased Stamina buff: Bear, Goat, Hook Wasp, Silithid
Increased Magic Damage Taken debuff: Basilisk, Bat, Chimaera, Core Hound, Dragonhawk, Rhino, Wind Serpent
Increased Physical Damage Taken debuff: Bird of Prey, Boar, Porcupine, Ravager, Rhino, Worm
An ability that increases dodge chance of the pet by 30% for 10 seconds: Fox, Monkey
An ability that reduces damage taken by the pet by 50% for 12 seconds: Beetle, Crab, Quilen, Rhino, Shale Spider, Turtle
An ability that Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%: Chimaera, Crocolisk, Silithid, Spider, Warp Stalker
The following pet families provide an ability that puts the pet in stealth mode, but slows its movement speed by 50%. The first attack from stealth receives a 20% bonus to damage: Cat, Spirit Beast
The following pet families also provide an additional ability.
Chimaera - Froststorm Breath: Causes Froststorm damage to all targets in front of the Chimaera over 8 sec.
Core Hound - Molten Hide: Causes Fire damage to attackers.
Devilsaur - Feast: The devilsaur feasts on a nearby Humanoid or Beast corpse within 5 yards, healing it for 20% of its maximum health and restoring 20 focus over 5 sec.
Direhorn - Reflective Armor Plating: Deflects all spells cast in front of the Direhorn for 6 seconds.
Hook Wasp - Flutter: Slows the fall speed of both itself and the hunter for 30 seconds.
Spirit Beast - Spirit Mend: Heals the target ally instantly, and additional healing over 10 seconds.
Water Strider - Surface Trot: Allows the Hunter and the Water Strider to walk across water.
Worm - Burrow Attack: Deals Nature damage to nearby enemies over 8 seconds."

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/392 ... tes-Update
Last edited by Celibie on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Re: New Buffs for Hunter Pets

Unread post by Redith »

Interesting...looks like there is allot more now to what pets to bring to raids other then just a DPS with rez
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Hmmm. Looking at the pets, I'm seeing that there are multiple pets that have *three* different abilities. If it was just a matter of 'Pet special', I would be OK with that, but it makes me wonder if some might be overpowered.

For instance, Quilin, by this chart, not only gets Combat Res and Added Crit To The Raid, it *also* has an ability that reduces damage by 50%.
Meanwhile, Turtles *only* have the 'Reduced damage by 50%' ability, cranes *only* have the Combat Res, and raptors *only* have the added crit.

So apparently, exotic pets are now being given *three* raid-viable abilities, where non-exotics only have *one*?

EDIT: And holy *shit*. Core Hound has a 'thorns' type ability as well as Time Warp, as *well* as increasing magic damage on the enemy. Nasty.
EDIT *AGAIN*: ... and Rhino not only increases the physical *and* magical damage the opponent takes, but can be made to take 50% less damage for 12 seconds. I may have found my new favorite tanking pet.
FINAL EDIT: ... and yet, the basic Cat has two abilities: Stealth and Mastery Increase. They are the only non-exotic to do so. Meanwhile, Spirit Beast has three abilities: Healing, Stealth, and Mastery Increase. So essentially the 'freebie' they used to get (the stealth) is being counted as one of their abilities. Hmmm. I feel like Spirit Beasts are getting the short end of the stick on this one, if one of their abilities is being counted as so inconsequential that a 'normal' beast gets it as a freebie. Is this because the Mastery increase doesn't work until you're higher level?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think exotic pets getting three abilities instead of two is to make up for the fact that they've given so many formerly exotic-exclusive abilities to regular families. And it's part of making pets feel important to the BM spec.

...and somehow, I am not concerned about the future of spirit beasts :)
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

GormanGhaste wrote:And it's part of making pets feel important to the BM spec.
Making *exotic* pets feel important. :) Much less reason for Beast Master hunters to *not* use exotic pets now. Definitely will change up the pet choices on most Beast Master hunters, I'd say!

Hmmm. The only ability that isn't being given to an Exotic Beast in one way or another is the '30% dodge increase'. Only Fox and Monkey have that one. I wonder if they can shuffle that around onto the Spirit Beast. Or maybe shift the abilities of pets so that it's on one of the other Exotics.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

True, but exotics have always been more functional. I'm glad they've given some exotic abilities to normal families. I'm excited that I can use a Moth for battle rez now instead of a Quilen.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

GormanGhaste wrote:True, but exotics have always been more functional. I'm glad they've given some exotic abilities to normal families. I'm excited that I can use a Moth for battle rez now instead of a Quilen.
Yes, but if you use the Moth, the rezzed player is cocooned for 5 minutes and then emerges with wings. :D
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Danielfboone wrote:Yes, but if you use the Moth, the rezzed player is cocooned for 5 minutes and then emerges with wings. :D
Haha, a brief wings spell effect would be pretty cool, actually!
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Once the game goes live (as things will change through Alpha and then Beta testing) I think a lot of raiders will have to go through a stable cleanout to make sure they can still cover any buffs their raid group is missing. So far Stats and Mortal Wounds (I think we're losing Widow Venom?... not really a must have in most fights) look to be the ones that I don't have covered.

I'm hoping, since they're giving brez to more pets now, that something's done about the limited range of pet rezzes. Nothing like having to try to find someone's body, then trying to recall my pet and move it over to them, while avoiding the damage that is flying everywhere. And if I fail in one of those steps, everyone's going, "Why are the hunters too lazy to brez?!" *sigh*
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Are Hydras not exotic? That's bloody awesome!
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

cowmuflage wrote:Are Hydras not exotic? That's bloody awesome!
The one existing Hydra that was made untamable was not exotic. It would have been a terrible move to make them exotic and screw over those few players, after they got to keep their pets for so many years.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Equeon wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Are Hydras not exotic? That's bloody awesome!
The one existing Hydra that was made untamable was not exotic. It would have been a terrible move to make them exotic and screw over those few players, after they got to keep their pets for so many years.
Yeah, I think that's a big reason behind them being non-exotic. :)
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I once had a teal Scorpion that was morphed into an ant Silithid on my then low level Horde Hunter. The change was made when she was still at level for taming that Scorpion, and I couldn't get rid of it until my Hunter was finally level 69 and got Exotic Beasts, which was rather quite annoying.
ImageImage
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Dear Blizzard,

I am an avid fan of BM spec for hunter, and I have more then 10 toons, in which all of them are BM hunters. I like how BM hunter is the class that can tame all sorts of animals and use them competitively in pvp or pve

However I am concerned and saddened with the current and the future state of pets usefulness for BM. I know you want Exotic pet to be the trademark pet for BM hunters, but handicapping BM hunter who wish not to use an exotic pet for its looks is not the way to go. BM hunter should be excellent at both using exotic and non exotic pets.

It would be awesome if All of BM hunter pets' regardless of their exotic-ness get new/extra skills when the taming exotic pets skill is learned. That would make a lot of BM hunters especially me very happy. I know it wouldn't break the game because you can give the non-exotic pets the same skills other pets have but with a rehashed name. eg;

Upon learning taming exotic beast; the BM Hunter pets would learn these new skills;

Basilisk
Stonemother's Favor - Increase your Archaeological skill by 25 and helps you to automatically dig up artifact when you are near the green spot)
Stone Curse - (Reduces movement speed)

Bat
Sonic Scream - (Worm's Burrow style AOE, in the form of the form of the bat screaming sound wave 360 degrees around it)
Eco-Location - (Increase your Archaeological skill by 25 and helps you to automatically dig up artifact when you are near the green spot)

Bear
Salmon Hunting- (Increase the hunter's fishing skill by 25 and helps the hunter fish without the aid of a fishing rod, and automatically catch the fish. Heals the pet for 20% health and 20 focus for each successful catch)
Swipe - (Mortal Wound)

Beetle
-Bug Bite - (Increase Physical Damage Taken Debuff)
-Scurry - (Increase the Hunter and the Beetle's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)

Birds of Prey
-Tailwind - (Increase the Hunter and the Bird of Prey's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)
-Dive Fishing - (Increase the hunter's fishing skill by 25 and helps the hunter fish without the aid of a fishing rod, and automatically catch the fish. Heals the pet for 20% health and 20 focus for each successful catch)

Boar
-Thrash - (Allows opening of locked chests and door)
-Charge of Fury - (Haste buff)

Carrion Bird
-Ravenous Opportunity - (Feasts on a nearby Humanoid or Beast corpse within 5 yards, healing it for 20% of its maximum health and restoring 20 focus over 5 sec.)
-Tenacious ferocity - (Increased Stamina buff)

Cat
-Rake - (Mortal Wound)
-Cat's Eye - (Increase the hunter's fishing skill by 25 and helps the hunter fish without the aid of a fishing rod, and automatically catch the fish. Heals the pet for 20% health and 20 focus for each successful catch)

Crab
-Pincer Pinch - (Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%)
- Neptulon's Trident- (Increase critical strike buff)

Crane
-Lullaby - (Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%)
-Water-Striding - (Allows the Hunter and the Crane to walk across water.)

Crocolisk
-Apex Swimmer - (Increase swim speed of the hunter and the crab by 50% and allowing the hunter to breathe underwater)
-Surge of Brutality - (Temporary Haste buff)

Direhorn
- Horn Strike - (Increased Physical Damage Taken)
-Might of Zandalari- (Increased Strength/Agility/Intellect buff)

Dog
-Sniff - (Increase Archaeology by 25 and helps you dig for artifacts, instantly fetching any artifacts in vivinity, causing you not to be suicidal while leveling this profession, after all, Dog IS you best friend.)
-Lockjaw - (Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%)

Dragonhawk
- Blazing Speed - (Increase the Hunter and the Dragonhawk's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)
- Melt - (Allows opening of locked chests and door)

Fox
-As Cunning As A Fox - (Increased Critical Strike Chance buff)
-Find Opening - (Increased Physical Damage Taken debuff)

Goat
- Stomp- (Allows opening of locked chests and door)
- Goat Speed - (Increase the Hunter and the Goat's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)

Gorilla
-Lock Smash - (Allows opening of locked chests and door)
-Drum Chest - (Temporary haste increase)

Hydra
-Triple Bite - (Mortal Wound)
-Swamp Fire - (Allows opening of locked chests and door)

Hyena
-Crushing Jaw - (Increased Physical Damage Taken debuff)
-Scavenge - (Feasts on a nearby Humanoid or Beast corpse within 5 yards, healing it for 20% of its maximum health and restoring 20 focus over 5 sec.)

Monkey
- Banana Peel- (Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%)
- Monkey Business - (Increased Strength/Agility/Intellect buff)

Moth
- Dust Shield - (Increases dodge chance of the pet by 30% for 10 seconds)
-Airy Dust - (Slows the fall speed of both itself and the hunter for 30 seconds.)

Nether Ray
-Nether Shock - (Increased Magic Damage Taken debuff)
-Void Opening- (Allows opening of locked chests and door)
Porcupine
-Fleet Feet - (Increase the Hunter and the porcupine's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)
-Quill Armor -(Causes Nature damage to attackers.)

Raptor
-Pack Hunter - (Increased Mastery buff)
-Tear Lock - (Allows opening of locked chests and door)

Ravager
-Ravaging Roar - (Increased Strength/Agility/Intellect)
-Spiky Carapace - (Causes Nature damage to attackers.)

Riverbeast
-Riverborn - (Increase swim speed of the hunter and the Riverbeast by 50% and allowing the hunter to breathe underwater)
-Rushing River - (Increased Haste buff)

Scorpid
-Venomous Armor - (Causes Nature damage to attackers.)
-Acid Blast -(Deals Nature damage to enemies in front of the scorpid over 8 seconds.)

Serpent
-Coil - (Reduces damage taken by the pet by 50% for 12 seconds)
-Deadly Venom - (Mortal Wound)

Spider
-Web Skitter - (Allows the Hunter and the Spider to walk across water.)
-Spider Sense - (Increased Crit Buff)

Sporebat
-Mushroom Feast- (Conjures a Mushroom Patch. Raid members can click patch to acquire Conjured Mushroom)
-Allergen (increase magical damage debuff)

Tallstrider
-Dustcloud - (Increases dodge chance of the pet by 30%)
-Tall Striding - (Increase the Hunter and the TallStrider's movement speed by 60% for 8 seconds, 2 minute cd)

Turtle
- Snap - (Increased Physical Damage Taken debuff)
-Shell Fury - (The turtle withdraws into its shell and spins, dealing Nature damage to nearby enemies over 8 seconds.)

Warp Stalker
-Warp Speed(Temporary haste increase)
-Teleport (Teleport to the nearest FP)

Wasp
-Honey (Conjures a Honeybee Hive. Raid members can click the Hive to acquire Conjured Honey.)
-Swarm - (Deals Nature damage to nearby enemies over 8 seconds.)

Wind Serpent
-Bloodflayer's Pact - (Increased Stamina buff)
-Feast of Zandalari-(Increase the hunter's fishing skill by 25 and helps the hunter fish without the aid of a fishing rod, and automatically catch the fish. Heals the pet for 20% health and 20 focus for each successful catch)

Wolves
-Hunting Howl - (Temporary Haste buff)
-Ancient Hunt - (Increase your Archaeological skill by 25 and helps you to automatically dig up artifact when you are near the green spot)

AND ANOTHER SPELL FOR SPIRIT BEAST

-Spiritual Unison - (Your pet's and your spirit combines, allowing you to Take direct control of your pet and see through its eyes for 1 min.)
Last edited by pop on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

snip for double post
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

crud rhinos are looking like a really good taking pet... I cant stand rhinos. Tried on several occasions to find one I liked but it never worked. *shakes fist* why must you be so much better than my color changing scarab? why!? (Then again if you can still macro your quillen's spirit rez to work on yourself, that would make a great tank and I rather like my quillen.)
loving some of the new combos but I am disappointed in others. I was hoping dire horns wouldn't keep spell reflection as I know many hunters found it to be rather "meh."
I was also kind of hoping cats/spirit beasts would have the stealth just flat out removed. Aside from low level pet+night elf stealthing in pvp I have never seen anyone bother to use it after we got cammo. Not to mention it has been bugged for like three years and you can only turn it off when your pet is in combat. Also, almost everyone has half a dozen cats in their stable so I had hoped the Hydra would cover something else or at the very least hydras and cats would both have a different but important second buff, to give players a reason to rotate between the two.

on the good side however, I am in love with hook wasps. There are two kinds of pets you can always count on me collecting, reptilian/dragon like pets, and nasty looking bugs! I am so giddy for slowfall. and maybe my two grubs will get to come out again with the change in worm buffs.

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

(Then again if you can still macro your quillen's spirit rez to work on yourself, that would make a great tank
Wait what? Your pet disappears when you die; how can you macro a pet's res to work on yourself? o.O
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I met a hunter who was big on pvp and he had found a way to macro his quillen rez. After you die there is a brief moment when your pet remains out and he would hit the macro and rez himself before his pet vanished. I used to have the macro but never checked to see if it stilled worked.