Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Unread post by Wain »

OK, added an index (with links) to the main post.

Also added a section on things that are flagged as tameable but are currently too high to tame. They should be available in WoD. Please let me know if you can think of any I missed.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

So the patch notes indicate that Hook Wasps are exotic. And that "Riverbeast" is one word (I think I spelled it as two). Updating the post to reflect that.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Only three new families is kinda a let down. I was hoping at least 5 maybe 6
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Kayb wrote:Only three new families is kinda a let down. I was hoping at least 5 maybe 6
I agree that 3 seems pretty low. :( We started off getting 6 new families in TBC, a whopping 9 in WotLK, 5 in Cata, and 6 in MoP (edit: 7 with direhorns). I'm guessing they might be slowing down so that there's enough beast families for future expansions, but I feel like 5 is a nice number that they could easily fill. I'm not going to pout too much, especially if they do good on their promise to add a lot of new skins/models to existing families, but it does seem like a small amount compared to what we're used to. At least hydras are finally coming! I know they're not to everyone's tastes but I'm personally super excited. :)
Last edited by Vephriel on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
Kayb wrote:Only three new families is kinda a let down. I was hoping at least 5 maybe 6
I agree that 3 seems pretty low. :( We started off getting 6 new families in TBC, a whopping 9 in WotLK, 5 in Cata, and 6 in MoP. I'm guessing they might be slowing down so that there's enough beast families for future expansions, but I feel like 5 is a nice number that they could easily fill. I'm not going to pout too much, especially if they do good on their promise to add a lot of new skins/models to existing families, but it does seem like a small amount compared to what we're used to. At least hydras are finally coming! I know they're not to everyone's tastes but I'm personally super excited. :)

I still have hope that we'll get lots more families in future expansions, and that WoD is just the much needed expansion where instead of adding a lot of new families with only one model for the rest of WoW's lifecycle, we'll just get a lot of new additions and love to existing families, which is a good thing to me. We have loads of families with one model, which is really a shame.

I also personally think they need to broaden existing families. Like Shale Spiders. Those are just so specific. You can only basically add one creature to it, and that's the current Shale Spider model. Compare that to Birds of Prey, where you can add any Bird of Prey to the family, and it'll still fit.

All in all, I hope we get Kunchongs as Silithid, Clefthooves (old and new) as Rhinos, the new Bats as Bats, the new Python as Serpents, the Dread Raven as Bird of Prey, the new Chimaera as Chimaera, and so on.

I also hope to see Pterodactyls, old and new, and they've been positive about those. Though, with only 3 new families and nowhere to fit Pterodactyls in, currently, I'm skeptical. Though they could always just add new families during the course of the expansion, like they did with Direhorns. In fact, that's what they might do, and that is why we only get 3 new families now. They might possibly give us 2 or 3 more during the course of the expansion, which would be awesome.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I guess it's also possible that we may get more families after launch, like the direhorn thing.
Lycanthrope
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune, Cenarion Circle, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lycanthrope »

Qraljar wrote:
Vephriel wrote:
I agree that 3 seems pretty low. :( We started off getting 6 new families in TBC, a whopping 9 in WotLK, 5 in Cata, and 6 in MoP. I'm guessing they might be slowing down so that there's enough beast families for future expansions, but I feel like 5 is a nice number that they could easily fill. I'm not going to pout too much, especially if they do good on their promise to add a lot of new skins/models to existing families, but it does seem like a small amount compared to what we're used to. At least hydras are finally coming! I know they're not to everyone's tastes but I'm personally super excited. :)

I still have hope that we'll get lots more families in future expansions, and that WoD is just the much needed expansion where instead of adding a lot of new families with only one model for the rest of WoW's lifecycle, we'll just get a lot of new additions and love to existing families, which is a good thing to me. We have loads of families with one model, which is really a shame.

I also personally think they need to broaden existing families. Like Shale Spiders. Those are just so specific. You can only basically add one creature to it, and that's the current Shale Spider model. Compare that to Birds of Prey, where you can add any Bird of Prey to the family, and it'll still fit.

All in all, I hope we get Kunchongs as Silithid, Clefthooves (old and new) as Rhinos, the new Bats as Bats, the new Python as Serpents, the Dread Raven as Bird of Prey, the new Chimaera as Chimaera, and so on.

I also hope to see Pterodactyls, old and new, and they've been positive about those. Though, with only 3 new families and nowhere to fit Pterodactyls in, currently, I'm skeptical. Though they could always just add new families during the course of the expansion, like they did with Direhorns. In fact, that's what they might do, and that is why we only get 3 new families now. They might possibly give us 2 or 3 more during the course of the expansion, which would be awesome.
I would love to see Pterodactyls, Rock Worms, and Stags.

I would love to see Stags as the "extoic" one while letting MM and Surv also get access to the other two. Stags could have a baby AoE heal (like Druids) on a semi-long CD. Pterodactyls could get like an aerial AoE on a CD, and Rock Worms could maybe have a ranged attack? I dunno, but one can dream!
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This is pre-beta, so perhaps other families are being debated for later in the process, but the three we've gotten were further along and therefore a sure thing.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I wonder if a "Rylak" is something we've already seen. Rylak Eggs are a new cooking ingredient. My first thought was chimaera (though they probably don't lay eggs?), but I guess it could also be a bird, like the dread raven.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

*Randomly pops in.*

Chimera do lay eggs, or at least the ones in Winterspring do. There's a quest to collect some :)

*Pops out again.*

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Varethyn wrote:*Randomly pops in.*
Chimera do lay eggs, or at least the ones in Winterspring do. There's a quest to collect some :)
*Pops out again.*
Ah I forgot that. Thanks :) Corrected my post :)
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Wain wrote:I wonder if a "Rylak" is something we've already seen. Rylak Eggs are a new cooking ingredient. My first thought was chimaera (though they probably don't lay eggs?), but I guess it could also be a bird, like the dread raven.
Maye its the great grand daddy of the ravenger? I remember going on quests for the eggs. (That long forgotten family ould use some love, come to think of it.) Just an idle guess of course.

I think they will possibly add another family later in beta (didn't they do that with porcupines?) or sometime on live like with direhorns, which would be fine by me.

I am also curious to see what "old beasts to new families" will entail. (I bet grubs/larva end up in the worm family.) If they are feeling flexible enough to just rename some of the families it could open up a lot of possibilities. Like instead of calling it the shale spider family, call it shale beast. boom, shale worms for everyone. some creative naming to the existing dinosaur families could also be a good excuse for adding more dinos, dread ravens and the like.

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

A few predictions/ideas for additions to existing families:

There are a handful of ram models in WoW, easily thrown into the goat family along with talbuks, and stags could be a big maybe. There aren't any beast-labeled pigs in-game that I know of, but they could easily be added and put into the boar family, though with the new boar models that's a long shot. If I remember right, the pythons in Throne of Thunder as well as the various armored Amani bears are labeled as being untamable, but are still in a pet family (showing a diet list, etc.) and the bear and serpent families could use a lot of love. With the few armored models available for tame, the bears don't seem like they'd be -too- much to add to the pool, and there are plenty of old and new snake/python models to tame, and with the long, whispy serpents added, why not the arcane wyrms from the blood elven areas? A very, very long shot could be kodos for the rhino family, and even further, the thunder lizards. Whether or not a thunder lizard is actually reptilian seems difficult to tell in my opinion, but anyway. The hellhounds they added with Firelands could be added to the dog family. The flaming spiders were a wonderful addition and they're not too different in that they're essentially rocky/flaming versions of animals. If anything, with Draenor being primal and savage, including its elements, a bestial elemental dog/wolf could be made into a spirit beast. The baby gorilla model could be cheesed and called a "chimp" and, although not the correct term just like talbuk-goats, put into the monkey or gorilla families. I recall beavers being a popular request, maybe they'll be added somehow?

I tried to focus on a few more abstract ones that people hadn't requested as much (from what I saw, at least) but still mentioned a few highly-requested ones. There are several others, but I feel like I'd create an enormous, boring wall with all that. Hopefully Blizz is paying attention and reading all our posts? I'm sure several of their ideas over the years are specifically -because- of Petopia. Keep it up, guys!

Also off-topic, I wonder if using Lone Wolf as survival/MM will net a special button to use like the warlock's sacrifice? Because of the huge amount of pets, it could be generalized or just one or two options. Survival being magic-focused, get a shot that inflicts the magic vulnerability debuff, or decrease cooldowns on traps by a few seconds, and the MM buff from steady shot give a little bit more haste? Who knows!

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I don't think they should do anything to encourage the use of Lone Wolf. There should be some penalties for running without a pet in my opinion.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

PrimalTazza wrote:The hellhounds they added with Firelands could be added to the dog family. The flaming spiders were a wonderful addition and they're not too different in that they're essentially rocky/flaming versions of animals. If anything, with Draenor being primal and savage, including its elements, a bestial elemental dog/wolf could be made into a spirit beast.
While I dislike the idea of elemental hunter pets in general, I do think animal elementals would make attractive spirit beasts!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There is a fifth new wolf colour. I haven't seen any sites mention it yet, but maybe I missed it. Sandy-yellow:

http://wod.wowhead.com/#modelviewer:1:55287
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Lone wolf has a button, it's summon/dismiss pet.

I'm fine with only 3 new families, providing that they are adding new models to the existing ones.

I would like to see the kunchong and sand reavers.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

More then new families, I would love to see updated models of the old. But then again I am one of those that only uses the same 5-6 pets all the time, only occasionally switching for something different and only for a short time because I feel "guilty" about leaving my mains behind.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Wain wrote:There is a fifth new wolf colour. I haven't seen any sites mention it yet, but maybe I missed it. Sandy-yellow:

Oh, I love that new color.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

Wain wrote:There is a fifth new wolf colour. I haven't seen any sites mention it yet, but maybe I missed it. Sandy-yellow:

Oh my goodness that is absolutely beautiful! <3

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."