Hydras WILL be tameable!!!!!

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Hydras WILL be tameable!!!!!

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Quick head size edit.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

You know what the bottom one reminds me of? The bad guys in the live action Super Mario bros movie XD Tiny heads on big bodies.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

David Byrne approves, though!

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Quick head size edit.
Could I trouble you to try a longer neck too? :)
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Sure, gotta factor in that that is also the side head, not the middle.

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Also the other thing to be aware of is that these guys might be quite large as a pet. If they have overly long/tall necks they may end up being too much of a hindrance/too large for others to work around/with within groups. If they extend the necks to much they would most likely have to shrink the overall model size after taming to make it not take up as much visual room. I’m sure they would still look good though, just potentially less intimidating. That’s also 1/2 my guess as to what they are so small to start with.
Also if you make the heads to big and the necks too short to run the risk of them potentially looking to much like a core hound (especially the chormaggus model).

­
­
­
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I will tame one either way but yes, they could use a bit of a chest/shoulder reduction. I understand they had to make it wide to fit three heads but it does look too bulky.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Also the other thing to be aware of is that these guys might be quite large as a pet. If they have overly long/tall necks they may end up being too much of a hindrance/too large for others to work around/with within groups. If they extend the necks to much they would most likely have to shrink the overall model size after taming to make it not take up as much visual room. I’m sure they would still look good though, just potentially less intimidating.
I understand, but I'd honestly prefer the body to be smaller, less hulking, if it meant they could have plesiosaur necks. They are water creatures, after all, so it would make sense for them to look a bit sleeker and less like a dragon who grew a couple of stubby heads instead of wings. ;) I'd really love it if they could have long necks that snake back to reduce model bulk most of the time, but I accept that may be too intensive for three heads on one model.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

SpiritBinder wrote:Sure, gotta factor in that that is also the side head, not the middle.

While I am happy with the current Thunderhydra, that really does look better. Perhaps it would be worth suggesting that to Muffinus?

Also, I requested a video focused on the Thunder Hydra's animations from Inico, and he made one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CareGPZHv0

It shows that, while the walk animation still isn't the best, it will pretty much look okay in-game. The walk animation in the first video of it was sped up significantly, for whatever reason, making it look a lot more clowny.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Yeah I was just about to point that out. I rather like the non sped up walking animation and the running animation is great. I like the way the heads move.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote:They are water creatures, after all, so it would make sense for them to look a bit sleeker and less like a dragon who grew a couple of stubby heads instead of wings. ;)
Oh, you just made me realize one of the things that was bugging me. They don't look aquatic at all. No fins or anything, not like the original hydras. I'm fine with a reimagining, always neat to see variations within a family, but as hydras they don't really look the part.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Vephriel wrote:
Wain wrote:They are water creatures, after all, so it would make sense for them to look a bit sleeker and less like a dragon who grew a couple of stubby heads instead of wings. ;)
Oh, you just made me realize one of the things that was bugging me. They don't look aquatic at all. No fins or anything, not like the original hydras. I'm fine with a reimagining, always neat to see variations within a family, but as hydras they don't really look the part.
True but we also don't know if they are the outland specific hydra skins(coloration seems to hint at it tho aka they are the outland raptor colors) But then again outland is known for it savage environment maybe they decided to go the dragon/beast like approach instead of the aquatic version (seeing we already have that one) and people have been screaming for dragon like beasts for quite some bit.

I am still hoping we get some high res skins for the aquatic ones as well.

About the megaera hydra I made some post back it was just a quick edit, had to go to bed but I was indeed trying to also add the black skin in, but I did not had any time anymore for that :P
ill see if I can make some more edits when I get home from work :P

edit: Wishful thinking. Maybe they add this Tot version to the current thunder isle? after all blizzard is not unfamiliar with adding beasts to existing landmasses after all right? Remember the TBC patch where we got those purple tallstriders all of a sudden on those terrokar flaoting rocks? Not to mention a lot of new rare spawns recently in the old world.

edit edit: seeing they are the raptor colors we seriously need a yellow one as well WTB Yellow!
Last edited by Malackai on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

yoink!
/grabs the red one and hides in her basement

Also, the walk animation may be a bit goofy, but running and swimming (=what we will be seeing 99% of the time) is just amazing.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Vephriel wrote:

This could be a "land hydra" or something. But I have a feeling they will be aquatic too :S At least give them webbed feet then they would not look as out of place both ways.

Plesiosaur Hydras.....yes!

I would like to see the OL hydras heads on this body just for shits and giggles :lol:

Edit: just from a design point of view it's very land based. Those back scales scream land beast.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

It's the breastbone that seems strange to me. That's the kind of thing you attach flight muscles to!
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Schlimazel wrote: Not only that, but when have they ever replaced a model like that? Getting new tiger models in Pandaria didn't replace the old models. Stumpyhydras are here to stay!
Sure, but this was also the first time (as far as I recall) that we got told that they don't want hunters taming hydras yet because "the old models are ugly." As much of a joke as that tweet might've been, it was still something that was stated out loud. Makes me slightly paranoid. :')
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yoruko wrote:
Schlimazel wrote: Not only that, but when have they ever replaced a model like that? Getting new tiger models in Pandaria didn't replace the old models. Stumpyhydras are here to stay!
Sure, but this was also the first time (as far as I recall) that we got told that they don't want hunters taming hydras yet because "the old models are ugly." As much of a joke as that tweet might've been, it was still something that was stated out loud. Makes me slightly paranoid. :')
I wouldn't be paranoid. The old models *are* staying :)
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Despite the fears I had before, I won't lie. I am in love with these thunder hydras, especially the red and blue ones. The red one looks like Desghidorah from the first Rebirth of Mothra movie! I may not hold much love for Megaera's heads, but I really, really like the heads on the thunder hydra model, and while I agree that the size could be increased a bit, I'm not too bothered if they stay their current size, it makes them kinda cute.

I really like the way they animate, too, but the way the walk was sped up in the first video makes me think of the bulldog character (I forget his name) from Looney Tunes. XD The running and swimming animations are absolutely gorgeous, though!
Yeah, I can't help but be a bit nervous about this myself despite your reassurance, sorry, Wain. As much as I love the new hydra models, Gesharahan's my baby, and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to him. I personally love the Azerothian hydra models despite all their silliness, and I'm hoping to tame one of them as well as a few of these thunder hydras on my hunters. No Outland model hydras for me, though, I personally find them to be eww. ^_^;;
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

They could be like the iguanas of Draenor having a land version and an aquatic one. To me, the walk isn't that bad either.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

They could be like the iguanas of Draenor having a land version and an aquatic one. To me, the walk isn't that bad either.