Idea on how to bring back Spirit Strike in WoD.

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Idea on how to bring back Spirit Strike in WoD.

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

To be quite honest I really miss the Moonfire spell effect that my Spirit Beasts used to have back in WotLK. It was unique and really gave those pets a mystical feel to them. With the new pet abilities revamp in WoD I've been thinking of a way to get that skill back in the game, although it shouldn't do any damage so as to not make Hunters pigeonholed into using it to increase their DPS.

And it also looks like right now all Exotic pets have 3 skills, even if some are merged together into one buff or debuff, leaving the Spirit Beasts with just two. I know they have Spirit Walk, but Cats also have Prowl which is the exact same thing, so it doesn't feel really special for the Spirit Beasts. Not only that but most Hunters leave both of those turned off since the slow movement speed is more of a hindrance than a DPS gain.

So I was looking at the list of the debuffs that pets will bring in WoD, and I noticed that the only Exotic pet to have the Mortal Wounds debuff is the Devilsaur with it's Monstrous Bite skill. With that in mind, I think it would be nice if Spirit Beasts could get Spirit Strike back but modified to be a healing debuff so that BM Hunters could have at least two choices of Exotic pets to use to bring that debuff. The skill could be changed this way:
Burns the enemy with Arcane energies, reducing the effectiveness of any healing received for 10 sec.
or
The Spirit Beast burns the enemy with Arcane energies, causing Mortal Wounds on the target.

Mortal Wounds
Grievously wounds the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing received for 10 sec.
Of course it should still use the Moonfire spell effect so that we get our laser kitties/bears/wolves back. Or what ever other animal form we have tamed as a Spirit Beast. What does everyone think of this idea?
ImageImage
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Idea on how to bring back Spirit Strike in WoD.

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Great suggestion, I too did really love the spirit strike animation they used to have too :(

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Mine would be that Spirit Strike would be 'Spirit Beast's version of bite, claw or smack. It would have the old animation but melee like other pet's focus dump and this would enable other type of spirit beast besides animals that uses 'bite'.

I would love also if claw, bite and smack's damages dealt to be at least 10% of nature type and this mean Spirit Beast's Spirit Strike would be 10% arcane type instead.

Having said, Dragonhawks and Corehounds should get Firebreath (Melee fire breath of fire animation that deals 10% fire type), Nether Ray and Warp Stalker should get Nether Shock (Melee Shadow Blast animation that deals 10% Shadow type), and Water Striders, Wind Serpents and Chimeras should get Zap (Melee Lightning Bolt animation that Deals 10% nature damage).
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I do miss spirit strike. Aside from looking neat, it sure came in handy for tagging mobs when there were a lot of people competing for them (Argent Tournament dailies...ugh).
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

that was great for when you were sapd in a bg or in general. you get a few seconds to see that rogue sap you, send your pet in, instant flashes him out. really usefull at that time.

i havent played bm unless i were to tame a pet and nothing else tbh. im terrible at that spec in general lol.
Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

pop wrote:Mine would be that Spirit Strike would be 'Spirit Beast's version of bite, claw or smack. It would have the old animation but melee like other pet's focus dump and this would enable other type of spirit beast besides animals that uses 'bite'.
This
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Shirubia wrote:
pop wrote:Mine would be that Spirit Strike would be 'Spirit Beast's version of bite, claw or smack. It would have the old animation but melee like other pet's focus dump and this would enable other type of spirit beast besides animals that uses 'bite'.
This
Spirit Beasts actually use Claw, and the normal counterparts of their model also use Claw aside two that use Bite on their normal counterparts, the Wolves. So if you have Skoll or Karoma you see them bite their enemies even though the combat log say they're using Claw.

I thought about that too to be honest, replace Claw with Spirit Strike, but since they are indeed missing one buff/debuff skill compared to the other Exotic pets, I had to get creative and find one buff or debuff that wasn't represented enough, and the end result was that Mortal Wounds is only brought by the Devilsaur pet. No other Exotic pets have that debuff.

So if you want to use an Exotic pet as BM and want to bring the Mortal Wounds debuff, you are forced to use a Devilsaur, or forced to use a normal pet with said debuff. If it was given to Spirit Beasts, at least we would have two choices of Exotic pets to bring for the Mortal Wounds debuff, the same as with other buffs or debuffs that the other Exotic pets bring.
ImageImage