Let's make it happen: Ancient Rylak!

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Let's make it happen: Ancient Rylak!

Unread post by Qraljar »

So we've been told that the alternate rylak model is a prototype model that will likely not be in-game, which is a huuuge shame. So I would like to try and convince Jeremy Feasel (@Muffinus) and other Blizzard developers to make the model available, and tameable after all. As I've mentioned multiple times in other threads before, it looks great, the model works fine, and a lot of people have already shown interest towards the model.

I will quote myself here, as this was a post I originally made, which explains exactly why I would like to see it implemented, what the pros are, what the cons are, and what kind of story they could potentially build around the creature model:

Qraljar wrote:I really do hope they make
available and tameable after all.

I get that it may have been a prototype, but it's a model that functions just fine and looks really, really great. And I've even seen skulls of this type of rylak, and that's actually really cool because they can spin a story around that. They could be a long-extinct step of the rylaks' evolutionary chain, thought to have long been lost and replaced by common day rylak. However, and perhaps they could do this as a track tame, there is one left. One from a time before the common-day rylak, one that is ancient, and has survived and lived to this day. Hell, the model already has that 'aged' feel to it, that makes it seem like it is a survivor from very long ago, when rylaks were simply different. Just that would add a sense of fluid.. history to the world some more, which in turn is more immersive.

This could actually give an intriguing spin to the model. I mean.. the last of its kind -- a living fossil!

Now look at the other Pros:

o It's a great model, and looks awesome. I would take this model over the normal rylak myself. Its huge tail-pincer and overall appearance gives it a really savage appearance, whereas the rylak looks relatively sophisticated, like evolution cleaned its appearance up. It really feels like it's a living fossil, which gives a cool vibe to it.

o They could build a good story around this creature, and perhaps a challenge/track tame as well, if they wanted to.

o It is much desired. Just here and on Twitter, I saw a lot of people who really, really want this to be a pet. The model already exists, it's not just a concept art. All that needs to happen is for it to be implemented.

o The artists who created this won't have their creation and the work they put into it wasted. Why waste it and throw a perfectly good model in the bin? Especially when so many people show interest in it?

o Rylaks are already quite strange to have their own family, but okay, let's put that aside. Since rylaks are a very specific family, the chance that they will revisit and add models to the family later is slim. As such, it will be another one of those families left behind with just one model, and that's a shame. This model would at least give some kind of variation, and not leave it catching dust too much.

Cons:

o They need to make a mob and give it this model.

Really, the pros outweigh the cons so much that it seems extremely strange that they don't want to add these. So again, I hope they reconsider, and Muffinus, if you're reading this, I surely hope you do reconsider, because it's a great opportunity to add a great model that would otherwise be thrown in the bin for no good reason whatsoever. A lot of people love the model, and would gladly take it if Blizzard was willing to add it to the game. And I mean.. if you really don't want to waste too much time on it, just add it as a normal rarespawn in some cave.

Hell, it would help improve that Timeless Isle (explore and find treasure in obscure places) treasure concept, but this time specifically for hunters. If you do want to make it something special, or feel like doing so, there are a lot of things that can be done. Track tames, challenge tames, or even both. And a story about how it's basically a fossil, the <Last of its Kind>, an extinct step in the evolutionary chain of the rylak, except for the fact that one survived.

So yes, those are just my ideas. But do you have any ideas? I want to show how many people like the model, so that they might be convinced/motivated to put it in the game anyway. I mean.. the model exists, it looks great and has a lot of potential, and a lot of people want it. Lastly, at least one artist worked on the model. Why throw such effort into the bin of forgetfulness when you can use it and make a lot of people happy with such a great model being available?

Anyway, I digress. Do you have any ideas? Even if not, please post and show your support for this awesome model, so that such a beautiful creature model doesn't waste away in the database, especially with this much interest in it. All we can do to convince them is show how much we want it.

I might even Tweet Muffinus again soon. When I do, I will mention it. If you could show your support by favoriting/retweeting it, and/or replying to my tweet with a comment supporting it, then we can raise our chances.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Let's make it happen: Ancient Rylak!

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh it would be such a shame if it were never used in game at all. :( I'm in love with that model and would tame it in a heartbeat if it were available. It's very kaiju looking with the throat sacs and alien faces. The details are so well done too! It's clear someone spent a lot of time making that texture, I hope they change their minds about using it. *crosses fingers*
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Oh it would be such a shame if it were never used in game at all. :( I'm in love with that model and would tame it in a heartbeat if it were available. It's very kaiju looking with the throat sacs and alien faces. The details are so well done too! It's clear someone spent a lot of time making that texture, I hope they change their minds about using it. *crosses fingers*

This I agree fully with. Funny that you mention "Kaiju", the throat sacs remind me of Otachi. And I really, really like the tail-pincer. I really think the "(presumed) extinct step in the rylak evolutionary chain" idea would work out great. This could then be a track tame, with the title "The Last of its Kind".

But yeah, this is the rylak model I want most. It's just so awesome.

And all we can do to change their mind is post and show our appreciation for the model, as well as our interest. So we'll have to try! :) :headbang:

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I was wondering when you'd make a thread about this ;) you're rarer passionate about this pet and I can see you taming this if it does go live. Who are you on Twitter, so I can fave/reply/agree with your tweets regarding this? I'll also tweet Muffinus, although he is on the forums now :mrgreen:

If we get this as a tameable pet, I'll thank you for forever and a day :D I'm already wishful thinking, but it's clear that this pet needs to be beside our hunters. If love to see this model tameable. It is a mount, as in beta, if I'm correct, but even then this beauty deserves more than just a saddle on it's back.

If you wanted to make it a far stretch, we've got diseased wolves and bears. We should get diseased deer when they become tamable. We've got messed up hydras and dead birds. If Blizzard wanted to make this tameable, maybe make it a diseased Rylak? Like...they gain odd growths and lose their fluffiness or something. I prefer the first idea better though :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Kayro wrote:I was wondering when you'd make a thread about this ;) you're rarer passionate about this pet and I can see you taming this if it does go live. Who are you on Twitter, so I can fave/reply/agree with your tweets regarding this? I'll also tweet Muffinus, although he is on the forums now :mrgreen:

If we get this as a tameable pet, I'll thank you for forever and a day :D I'm already wishful thinking, but it's clear that this pet needs to be beside our hunters. If love to see this model tameable. It is a mount, as in beta, if I'm correct, but even then this beauty deserves more than just a saddle on it's back.

If you wanted to make it a far stretch, we've got diseased wolves and bears. We should get diseased deer when they become tamable. We've got messed up hydras and dead birds. If Blizzard wanted to make this tameable, maybe make it a diseased Rylak? Like...they gain odd growths and lose their fluffiness or something. I prefer the first idea better though :)

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to create a thread. But I decided to do so after all. If the game goes live without the rylak, while it possibly could have been in the game thanks to something like this, I would never stop hating myself for it. :P And I'm not even a huge rylak fan, but even I'd love this model. For several reasons: the potential in a story that could be built around it. The giant tail-pincer and the more aged appearance. The reptilian appearance. The fact that without this model, the rylak family will have one model with no variation aside from colour, while that is totally unnecessarily, seeing as there is this model they could just add, and more.

And don't thank me if this happens. Thank Muffinus, mainly, for being so transparent, and for establishing a way to have direct contact with him. Without that, we would never even have found out about them not implementing it into the game until WoD's launch. Now, thanks to the communication between the community and the devs, we know, and we can try to ask them and motivate them to change their minds. Oh, and if it does happen as a result of this, thank yourself and anyone else showing their support for this as well, as they would be who made it happen as well.

And it's just generally removed. Even as a mount, I think. Which is also a shame, because it would, secondarily, also make a great archaeology mount, while this, as a pet, would make a great track tame. (of course I would be okay with anything, from a rare to a vignette, to a challenge tame, to a common mob. Anything, so long as it just becomes available)

Oh, and my twitter is: Broketsu (@Bro_Ketsu)

TheAncientOne

Unread post by TheAncientOne »

Its stupid what Blizzard did, you can see skeletons of that Rylak everywhere, why they removed it? no reason. This Rylak must be a rare, like King Krush and Loque'nahak
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

TheAncientOne wrote:Its stupid what Blizzard did, you can see skeletons of that Rylak everywhere, why they removed it? no reason. This Rylak must be a rare, like King Krush and Loque'nahak

A rare track tame! And yes, those skeletons, I mentioned earlier on. Like the Grom/Earth Giant skeletons, those could even help root the idea that this creature is ancient! That it's the last of its kind. An otherwise extinct step in the evolutionary chain of the rylak, where only one survived long enough to live to this day. This is also where its "old appearance" kicks in to make it even more convincing.

But let's not call them stupid, or anything. This thread is solely made as a request for this rylak model, an attempt to change their mind, supported by a bunch of people who show their interest and give them the proper motivation/reason to want to do this! :)

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I've found you on Twitter and shall keep an eye out if I see a tweet concerning this Rylak. I've tweeted Muffinus as well, so now all I can do is wait. I would say I could sacrifice gnomes but...I dot think he'd listen then :P

Oh Muffinus, if you do make this pet tameable I promise I won't brutally attack every gnome I see in PvP because I hate them. I'll even go to Stormwind and hug every gnome I see ^_^ hold me on that one too. I'll even screenshot it, for proof if you'd like.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Kayro wrote:I've found you on Twitter and shall keep an eye out if I see a tweet concerning this Rylak. I've tweeted Muffinus as well, so now all I can do is wait. I would say I could sacrifice gnomes but...I dot think he'd listen then :P
Yes. When I make the tweet, I'll notify the thread beforehand, so that people are more aware of it. Would like to have as much support as possible!

Oh, and don't talk about sacrificing gnomes. That can only hurt us! D:
Kayro wrote:Oh Muffinus, if you do make this pet tameable I promise I won't brutally attack every gnome I see in PvP because I hate them. I'll even go to Stormwind and hug every gnome I see ^_^ hold me on that one too. I'll even screenshot it, for proof if you'd like.

Hah. Yeah, I think I might link this thread to Jeremy, too. I know he reads the forums, but just to be sure, y'know.

(If you're reading this, Jeremy.. well.. you probably know what I want to say. :lol: )

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

What shall I sacrifice then? Orcs? I certainly don't mind getting rid of a few of those Kor'kron for ya :mrgreen: gimme a number, and I'll make sure to get them all for you Muffinus.

He needs a code name. Unless he's the Noah everyone is speaking of what has been stalking this forum, I think we should call him Muff-muff. Muffin? Muffle? Muffy? Mr-you're-so-awesome-and-you-shall-be-even-more-awesome-if-you-give-us-this-sexy-Rylak? The last one has a certain ring to it I believe :lol:
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

i have been back and forth on the rylak family due to its obvious connections to chimeras and their eventual evolution into the out lands chimera. being given their own family has kind of put me off to them. The only one that has made a good impression on me is this guy. he looks more fitting of outlands in my book. I love how this one has scales and armor plating instead of fur, and the jagged horns and pincers look good too. even the acid sacs have kind of grown on me. (oh dear- maybe I should have that looked at! :?) Its a very good model and I hope that it will at lease become a rare later on in a patch rather than let the model go unused.

Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Do we actually know if this thing has full animations? If it was just a test model, it might not be fully rigged, which is why they don't want to have to go back and put them in for it to get into the game.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Loki wrote:Do we actually know if this thing has full animations? If it was just a test model, it might not be fully rigged, which is why they don't want to have to go back and put them in for it to get into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emWFz_F_RCk

Yep. Same animations as the normal rylak. =)

bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

Where can we find the post on twitter?
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

bluddy wrote:Where can we find the post on twitter?

I've not yet made it. Before I do so, I'm trying to get more active support. When I make the tweet, I will inform everyone beforehand.

But the tweet will be made by Broketsu(@Bro_ketsu), which is my Twitter account. Once I've posted the tweet, I will also add a link to the tweet in this thread.

bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

Alright, you've got my support.
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

I'm totally for it if it has the requisite animations; there's not a lot we can really do once Muffinus knows we'd like it in-game though.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Calling it now, it's gonna be a later implemented world boss.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just feel like that's what's gonna happen.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Of all the Rylaks, this model is by far my most favorite. I love the venom like sacks, and the more reptilian features of this over the furred rylaks. It would be a GREAT shame if this absolutely wonderful model wasn't used.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I'm also all for this, and I've been in two minds about the rylaks since they were made their own family. I like them, but I'll always be sad that the dragonflies were scrapped and just shoved into the wasp family instead. Qraljar, your idea is wonderful and well thought out (and I love your sig, I'm also gunning for kunchongs) and I love how this model is so much like Otachi from Pacific Rim, she was my favorite kaiju from that movie by far. The emaciated look is one thing that bothers me about the family, but it actually kinda fits with this model, rather than making it look like it needs a sandwich or ten.