Let's make it happen: Ancient Rylak!

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Let's make it happen: Ancient Rylak!

Unread post by Lupen202 »

You have my support as well. This guy along with Pterrorwings are the pets I've wanted the most in a long time. I love the furred rylaks, but this guy has really grown on me since the first time the model was shown (back when we didn't know if it would be implemented or not). It really would be a big shame if this guy didn't make it in game.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

You have my support!

Would hate to see such an awesome model thrown in a dark corner, never to see the light of day. Poor guy. :(

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

You have my support as well. And while I'm just being hopeful, while we are on the subject of bringing back a Rylak for taming, I'd love it if they brought back the Chromatic Rylak, the original coloration somehow. Just as a tribute to the chromatic dragonflight. The Rylak who was mutated for the purpose of bringing them back.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Qraljar wrote:This I agree fully with. Funny that you mention "Kaiju", the throat sacs remind me of Otachi. And I really, really like the tail-pincer.
I'm right with you there! Back when this model was first datamined, that was my first thought. To be able to tame this in game and name her after the best kaiju of that movie would make this entire expansion for me. :lol:

I support the Ancient Rylak movement!
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Although it looks like it seriously needs a few good meals ......................... you have my support and then some!

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

All this talk of Rylaks, though I'm pretty sure this is still technically a "Draenor Chimera", well that's its file name. :)
I still cling to that little contingency, because if there are no chimera on Draenor at all, how the hell did they end up in Outland 30 yrs later?!? /crankypants

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

SpiritBinder wrote:All this talk of Rylaks, though I'm pretty sure this is still technically a "Draenor Chimera", well that's its file name. :)
I still cling to that little contingency, because if there are no chimera on Draenor at all, how the hell did they end up in Outland 30 yrs later?!? /crankypants

What if Rylak is Orcish for Chimera? :O
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

cowmuflage wrote: What if Rylak is Orcish for Chimera? :O
Possibly... But if so, they should still technically be the same family for taming purposes right?

Also, lets not forget, when Rylaks became a "Thing" after they added hook wasps to the wasp family not that many players were enthralled by this new family, in fact most of us were thinking
""Hook wasps now wasps due to similarity. Rylaks now tamable. New pet class? If so, can't you apply same logic and add to chimeras?""

Then after we questioned it Jeremey told us
""It's got ground anims, and in practice doesn't look at all like a Chim, hence the new family.""

to which most of us did not see this as a particularly convincing argument to give them a new family to which he later replied,
""We're open to feedback, guys/gals, that's what beta's for :) Play with it and light up the forums.""

I know that this thread is about the addition of the original WoD chimera model into the game, and I'm on board wishing it to be, but it could and should just be a Chimera, just like the rylaks should be... we just need to let them know... "That's what beta's for :) Play with it and light up the forums.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

True true.

I have an idea. Make this model a Chimera (like you suggest Spirit) and make it the "pre-outland" model and make Rylaks like a breed that dies out.

I'm sure that there are more chances of this model coming out then there is a updated Ol raptor model ;p
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Possibly... But if so, they should still technically be the same family for taming purposes right?

Also, lets not forget, when Rylaks became a "Thing" after they added hook wasps to the wasp family not that many players were enthralled by this new family, in fact most of us were thinking
""Hook wasps now wasps due to similarity. Rylaks now tamable. New pet class? If so, can't you apply same logic and add to chimeras?""

""It's got ground anims, and in practice doesn't look at all like a Chim, hence the new family.""

to which most of us did not see this as a particularly convincing argument to give them a new family to which he later replied,
""We're open to feedback, guys/gals, that's what beta's for :) Play with it and light up the forums.""

I know that this thread is about the addition of the original WoD chimera model into the game, and I'm on board wishing it to be, but it could and should just be a Chimera, just like the rylaks should be... we just need to let them know... "That's what beta's for :) Play with it and light up the forums.
I agree with you 100% I am still crossing my fingers and hoping the "rylak" family will be added back to the chimera family. If they are not supposed to be/have connections with chimeras then how did we end up with the outland ones in BC!? :P They obviously made that family to fill in the gap after dragonflies got scrapped but now that we are getting the long awaited stag family the promised "three new families" quota would still be met without rylaks acting as a stand-in. If there is a forum for feedback on that please point me towards it.

*ahem* Ok I feel like I am starting to wander a bit off topic. sorry! /rerail
I would prefer to see this new model revived and placed in the chimera family but if it were to become a rylak It is tempting enough to make me tame it anyway. Glad to see all the support that has shown up already. I made a twitter account just so i could follow and tweet the occasional question about Wod pets so I will be keeping my eye out for any progress that is made and will be happy to add my support to your efforts. :D if you make any forums elsewhere just point me to them.

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

So as to keep the 'New Family' thing away from shifting things off topic, I'm going to make an all new thread for that.

I *do* agree, though, with wanting this lost skin in, either as Chimera or Rylak. I love the way it looks. I personally wouldn't be using it (my chimera's taken up by my Codebreaker and I have hopes that they'll decide Rylaks = Chimera in the end) but that doesn't mean I don't think it looks absolutely *AMAZING*. And would make a great rare/vignette/challenge pet.

EDIT: because of an embarrassing typo that turned 'shifting' into something much... dirtier. *COUGH*.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I would hope that if they do use this model it'll be with multiple colours and occurrences. I really hope they don't rush it in for the sake of using it and leave it as one sad, lonely beast. This design is far too good for that. I've always thought it was far more detailed and interesting, and higher quality artwork than what they replaced it with. It does make me wonder if they pulled it for a reason that we're not aware of, though. Say, they have plans for this model in a later release / zone / world. Who knows? It's unlikely something they'd ever tell us ahead of time.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Wain wrote:I would hope that if they do use this model it'll be with multiple colours and occurrences. I really hope they don't rush it in for the sake of using it and leave it as one sad, lonely beast. This design is far too good for that. I've always thought it was far more detailed and interesting, and higher quality artwork than what they replaced it with. It does make me wonder if they pulled it for a reason that we're not aware of, though. Say, they have plans for this model in a later release / zone / world. Who knows? It's unlikely something they'd ever tell us ahead of time.
Yes! New colours of these beastie! That'd be great! Perhaps a bright blue, or a venomous green colour? I don't have complete access to all the stuff, but I do smell someone perhaps making little tweaks to the model and showing us what some other colours would/could look like.

I'd love a blue one with a pale underbelly and bright yellow eyes and venom sacs of green or yellow! It could have darker shades of blue and go into purple on its tail like the azure cloud serpent and...I should probably stop now :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:I would hope that if they do use this model it'll be with multiple colours and occurrences. I really hope they don't rush it in for the sake of using it and leave it as one sad, lonely beast. This design is far too good for that. I've always thought it was far more detailed and interesting, and higher quality artwork than what they replaced it with. It does make me wonder if they pulled it for a reason that we're not aware of, though. Say, they have plans for this model in a later release / zone / world. Who knows? It's unlikely something they'd ever tell us ahead of time.

Hmh.. I personally really like the idea of it being one model, with one colour, on one tameable mob. Call me crazy, I guess. It's just the easiest way to sell the concept I've mentioned a few times. That's just me, really, and I'm silly. As time passed, I've grown very fond of the concept of last surviving rylak from an even savager time. Yadda yadda, you know, the presumed extinct step in the rylak evolutionary chain concept that would go well with a bit of story and a track tame.

Putting that concept that I thought of, and being too stubborn about letting go of aside, of course there would be mad potential with different skills. Like the ones Kayro mentioned. Truly, though, even if it had one colour, and even if it was a random mob, so long as the model found its way into the game, I'd rather have it in any way possible, than not at all. I'm sure you agree, right?

Because for now, I'm just trying to change the minds of the devs, and especially @Muffinus on this. Just so this one model isn't wasted, catching dust in the database while a lot of people would have loved to have seen it used in-game.

While I totally approve of more discussion about possible skins, I have the fear that it will possibly complicate the idea, and make it so that they start thinking that, along with this model, we immediately want x or y, or this skin, or that skin. This is why I'm trying to make it clear that, while the above concepts would be great -- and much desired, I would be fine with just one model, on a random mob, or a vignette, or a rare, or anything they would be willing to do. Right now, my goal is just this model and coloration.

Sorry if that sounds "b"-y. I don't really mean it that way. I've just so often seen it that people want to get a small thing to happen, but then more and bigger ideas are thrown on the pile inadvertently, and the response is just "yeah, we can't/don't feel like doing all that work for this.", and they refuse to do anything with all those ideas, but also the initial suggestion, which in this case is just to get the model into the game and tameable, in whatever manner that may be.

I guess that's paranoid, but y'know.. :P
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

you have my suport. i really do hope they change their minds.
I personly like this one better than the common one, who looks like its necks are to weak to suport the heads.
this one While still slim seem to pack more meat on the bones and looks way more fierce.

Do want!

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I probably won't get a Rylak unless it uses this model. I'd probably even switch my chimera to this model, I'm currently using one I think is the least hokey.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

(Thanks for the new thread Kurasu!)

I agree that this one has a much more appealing body. :lol: i have had issues with the necks on the ones with fur as well. I don't really know why but this one wears the skinny look much better in my eyes. perhaps due to it looking more reptilian.
I would hope that if they do use this model it'll be with multiple colours and occurrences. I really hope they don't rush it in for the sake of using it and leave it as one sad, lonely beast. This design is far too good for that. I've always thought it was far more detailed and interesting, and higher quality artwork than what they replaced it with. It does make me wonder if they pulled it for a reason that we're not aware of, though. Say, they have plans for this model in a later release / zone / world. Who knows? It's unlikely something they'd ever tell us ahead of time.
Thats an interesting idea Wain. I'm surprised none of us or even stopped to think about that. I would certainly not be opposed to new colors! Outlands had green and purple chimeras, it would be interesting to see what those ancestors looked like. If someone with some color manipulation skills wants to show off their stuff I would be interested in seeing the end product. I would not be opposed to new colors or even making the existing skin common. rarity is always cool but I would enjoy this skin regardless or how it is obtained.

Of course I would be just fine with only getting this guy as a single rare existing in one color. diversity is always nice but right now I jut want this thing to exist! :lol:

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

SylviaDragon wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:

I agree with you 100% I am still crossing my fingers and hoping the "rylak" family will be added back to the chimera family. If they are not supposed to be/have connections with chimeras then how did we end up with the outland ones in BC!? :P They obviously made that family to fill in the gap after dragonflies got scrapped but now that we are getting the long awaited stag family the promised "three new families" quota would still be met without rylaks acting as a stand-in. If there is a forum for feedback on that please point me towards it.
Who says just because they're classified as a new family now that prevents their alternate future selves from being Chimaeras?
Okay, so right now, they're Rylaks. Two-headed fuzzy winged Jackal things. They're equally at home galloping on the ground on all four limbs, and at flying, gliding and maybe even hovering on two. I'm not sure on what their family abilities are, but I'm also presuming that they're different from Chimaeras.

That's all well and good, but then the world breaks apart and corruption from the Burning Legion and the energies of the Twisting Nether mutate the species into the model we see on Outland. Now, they're primarily airborne, which allows them to better travel between the shattered islands of the world for food. In addition, the weird energies have gifted them with a breath weapon which they have learned to use. Genetically, they're still technically closer to Rylaks than the Azerothian Chimaeras. But their shape, behavior and abilities make them more akin to Chimaeras, so they're loosely grouped with them by those who study and/or hunt with them. Not unlike how Hyenas look and act more like canines than the felines they're more closely related to. It's not that they're suddenly and magically chimaeras, it's that they have enough in common with them that they're rather crudely grouped with them.

I mean, I'd be all for grouping them together as Chimaeras anyway, just because it's less mess in my mind. But I can think ways around why Rylaks are different in behaviour (and thus classed in a different "family") than Outlands Chimaera.

___

Okay, on topic, support. I'm not a big fan of the model personally, I have my heart set on one of the normal Rylaks, but I am all for diversity in pet families and it is a solid, finished model. Would love to see other hunters roaming around with it.

Kawney
Realm: Kilrogg USA, and the PTR!

Unread post by Kawney »

Why not have it as a rare event from Archeology, if it's a living fossil perhaps it can give you an item that, when you go to a phased area like your garrison and use it, it will spawn the ancient rylak and at that point remain until tamed. They could even give it to the normal classes and they could kill it and get as an epic or better follower.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

You've got my support too. The more textures and models a pet family has the merrier. :D

Besides, it'd be a shame to simply let all the work that went into the model go to waste.